Melbourne Football

2018/19 season fixtures

mattyh001

37321313_10161168836770131_2820915639336566784_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=7fc2432e327b36f476bada761ba6e879&oe=5BD5023C

Full squad is heading to India plus assorted youth. Given that its 24 players in that squad, I'm legitimately of the opinion that we really need to sign a marquee LW and a quality CB and that's it. These kids are all of decent quality and will do a better back up job than any recycled player will, and our best XI will be up there with the best, if not the best. For shits and giggles a best XI and a 2nd XI using that squad plus our two likely signings. *Assuming Arzani is gone, however imo if he stays he'll be under the cap.

Bouzanis
Atkinson      VISA CB          Schenkeveld        Jamieson
                      Brattan            Malik
                                    McGree
O'Halloran               Fornaroli          Marquee LW

Galekovic
Pieiras      Delbridge        La Rocca         Metcalfe
                  Lesiotis           Najjarine
                                  Caceres
Wales                       Najjar                 Vidosic             

Cavallo  (CM)    Graham (CB)      Delianov (GK)    Iannuci (DM)

If Malik doesnt tickle your fancy, which for some he doesnt, put McGree there and Dario or Caceras to 10 and see if you're happy with that. Very shexy football.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

Lesiotis is 18. Defensive central midfielder. That's all I know.

My gut feel is that we going to see a couple of the current scholarship lads elevated to A-League contracts, and some of the younger players signed to the ensuing vacant scholarships.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Lesiotis is 18. Defensive central midfielder. That's all I know.

My gut feel is that we going to see a couple of the current scholarship lads elevated to A-League contracts, and some of the younger players signed to the ensuing vacant scholarships.

And what is great is that in a year, one or two of them could well be first team or bench regulars. A year ago we barely knew who Arzani and Atkinson were. The way we're setting up we can expect to see youth talent coming through the ranks. 

9 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

And what is great is that in a year, one or two of them could well be first team or bench regulars. A year ago we barely knew who Arzani and Atkinson were. The way we're setting up we can expect to see youth talent coming through the ranks. 

Other than just a few minutes in 2016-17 Arzani didn't really play for City's A-League side until the 15th December 2017 when he came off the bench for 23 minutes in Sydney. The first we saw of him at home last season was on 6th January 2018 against Wellington. That's only 6 months ago. Hard to believe really.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Lesiotis is rated quite highly internally and probably fits into the Arzani mould in that his stock rose pretty significantly when Waz arrived last year (as did most of the young players in all fairness) and trained with the Senior team for a large amount last year, he looked particularly handy against Guangzhou last year when some of the other young guys had a bit of a panic when pressed by better players. Made the bench once last year and could definitely see more game time this year. 

Don't know a lot about Graham and Iannucci apart from the fact that they're part of the growing corps that we're getting from Country Victoria, Iannucci can absolutely destroy a free kick too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Other than just a few minutes in 2016-17 Arzani didn't really play for City's A-League side until the 15th December 2017 when he came off the bench for 23 minutes in Sydney. The first we saw of him at home last season was on 6th January 2018 against Wellington. That's only 6 months ago. Hard to believe really.

I was one of those who travelled up to Shepperton for the pre-season match last season. Arzani, then just a youth prospect, played pretty much the whole game, and looked our best player. But it was a case of watching a young prospect. Less than a year later he plays at the World Cup. That's raw talent, but you've also got to nod to the fact that it's likely to be due to good coaching as well. It's no fluke that we're seeing this strength in youth coming through. The foundations were laid before Wazza arrived, but he has been excellent in capitalising on what he inherited. 

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

In the last 2 years, I have had more excitement to see which Youth boys break through, rather then what marquee we sign.

I hope this season we have 2 boys break into the starting XI

Edited by haz
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

When is the next game? I seen the next round of the cup is not until 29th August.

I take it there are some friendlies arranged as it is a long time to leave the players without a game. It is one thing being fit and another being match fit. Also the new players need a chance to blend into the team. 

• 2 months later...