Melbourne Football

2018/19 season fixtures

mattyh001

Steady on there, FFA is capable of doing only one thing at a time. And there are a couple of changes this time around - for example we're going to have "international breaks"

The regular season opens on Friday 19th October 2018 and concludes on Sunday 28th April 2019.

Just now, JMSTEP123 said:

Which shit fight in particular are you referring to?

I'd say he means FIFA-FFA.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Steady on there, FFA is capable of doing only one thing at a time. And there are a couple of changes this time around - for example we're going to have "international breaks"

The regular season opens on Friday 19th October 2018 and concludes on Sunday 28th April 2019.

About time we are stopping for International breaks. I wonder if this will necessitate a few mid week games instead of an extended season with the move towards additional midweek games during an expanded ALeague. I hope so. Nothing better than popping down to AAMI after work to watch a game!

3 hours ago, JMSTEP123 said:

About time we are stopping for International breaks. I wonder if this will necessitate a few mid week games instead of an extended season with the move towards additional midweek games during an expanded ALeague. I hope so. Nothing better than popping down to AAMI after work to watch a game!

Mid week games are rubbish. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, malloy said:

Mid week games are rubbish. 

The season is not being extended, so more mid-week matches are inevitable. I've also seen suggestions that more matches will be scheduled for the January holiday period.

• Thanks 1

The same issue will present when the League expands. Either more mid-week matches, or extend the season, or indeed both.

I hope FFA is thinking about this. It's not only players and fans that will be affected - some grounds are also used for other events. Likewise how AFC participation will be impacted. Clubs also need to think about how they structure memberships when expansion occurs - just increasing the cost pro-rata isn't going to sit well with fans.

On 02/07/2018 at 3:09 PM, JMSTEP123 said:

Which shit fight in particular are you referring to?

On 02/07/2018 at 3:09 PM, jw1739 said:

Yep that.

Id say that if one of the conditions of the new congress is a more independent Aleague then the clubs would want input into the fixture.

Last years was released on the 23rd of June btw

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, neio said:

We will open the season at etihad against victory I reckon

Surely the FFA learnt from last season that you need to bring the big games on early to capture attention

Also having 3 weeks from after AFL season to help build hype 

I'd rather the clubs that play in the "big matches" (e.g. derbies) have time to settle into the season before the "big matches" themselves.

I hope that the fixture has us with a balance of home/away matches throughout the season, and that we play each of the other nine clubs once before we play any of them a second time. And IIRC we've never had the last match of the season at home, so I'd like to see that for once.

2 minutes ago, Forever City said:

Wasn't the Derbies always played round 1 of every season up until the past few seasons. Why did it change?

Nah. Only season 3 and 4 that i recall. There was some sense at the time that the clubs would like two or so games to build into it and build the hype so to speak.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Nah. Only season 3 and 4 that i recall. There was some sense at the time that the clubs would like two or so games to build into it and build the hype so to speak.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

First Derby:

S1: Round 8
S2: Round 3
S3: Round 1
S4: Round 1
S5: Round 3
S6: Round 2
S7: Round 2
S8: Round 2

Ah yes I see. My mistake.

On 7/4/2018 at 8:31 AM, jw1739 said:

I'd rather the clubs that play in the "big matches" (e.g. derbies) have time to settle into the season before the "big matches" themselves.

I hope that the fixture has us with a balance of home/away matches throughout the season, and that we play each of the other nine clubs once before we play any of them a second time. And IIRC we've never had the last match of the season at home, so I'd like to see that for once.

We played Adelaide couple seasons ago, the mauk 2-0 game at home last game of season

Emailed the FFA. Got this response....

Hi ,

The draw is in its final stages of confirmation. There was a delay in getting feedback off clubs, but this has now been completed.

Should be released late next week, or early the week after.

Regards,

Mitch

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Forever City said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but every season that we play victory away twice then our home derby is always the Christmas derby?

Basically, first derby always Victory, 2nd Derby always ours (Xmas Derby), 3rd alternates each year.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Basically, first derby always Victory, 2nd Derby always ours (Xmas Derby), 3rd alternates each year.

IIRC each club gets the opportunity to submit one home match they would like at a particular time. Ours is the Christmas Derby.

Just four home matches before Christmas. Wow.

13 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Last game of the season is at home (against CCM). Is that a club first?

No. Season 2015/16 we played Adelaide in the last home match of the season. We were top of the table with two rounds to go - lost them both and blew the season.

Edited by jw1739
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, neio said:

Fuck me, again 2 away matches to start season. How hard is it to give everyone a home game in first 2 weeks

I also hate the way we get two home matches in just a few days - e.g.  6th January and then 11th January, and then 19th January and 22nd January.

I can't see why the season cannot be more balanced for everyone.

1 hour ago, neio said:

Fuck me, again 2 away matches to start season. How hard is it to give everyone a home game in first 2 weeks

At least we're not the wanderers. 3 away games in first 3 rounds, including away to wellington and perth. First home game is round 4 and it's not even in Sydney - it's in Mudgee. They don't play a proper home game until November 23rd. 

17 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

At least we're not the wanderers. 3 away games in first 3 rounds, including away to wellington and perth. First home game is round 4 and it's not even in Sydney - it's in Mudgee. They don't play a proper home game until November 23rd. 

Is that because of their stadium issues?