Melbourne Football

FFA Cup - Round of 32: City v Roar, August 7 @ 7.30, Dolphin Stadium (QLD)

Harrison

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We're not back in training yet, and we've got half a squad if we don't count the scholarship players. And one or more players will get sick in India. IMO this is going to be a very tough assignment.

Just our luck really, we draw the team that's probably done the most work in the off-season (EDIT: bar Perth), would've been great to get the Tards with the shape they're in.

Edited by Embee

28 minutes ago, Embee said:

Just our luck really, we draw the team that's probably done the most work in the off-season (EDIT: bar Perth), would've been great to get the Tards with the shape they're in.

I know what you're saying, but I'm actually pleased that it isn't Victory. I get a bit sick of the Derbies over the season. I'll be content with the 10-minute drive to see Bentleigh vs. Wellington - it's nice to have a good match almost on my doorstep.

I think the easier game is against Aleague opposition first up. Brisbane have started, our players are coming back this week it seems. I actually think that time difference between start times will mean SFA. FIrst of all, ee will play in August as we will be in india until the 25th and after last season I am actually confident now about early FFA cup games no matter who we play.

15 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I think the easier game is against Aleague opposition first up. Brisbane have started, our players are coming back this week it seems. I actually think that time difference between start times will mean SFA. FIrst of all, we will play in August as we will be in india until the 25th and after last season I am actually confident now about early FFA cup games no matter who we play.

You raise a really good point. 

There's a club video (which doubles as an advert for Etihad) that talks about how closely we analyse all aspects of our travel. We have a local head of human performance and CFG have a research and innovation department. No doubt we are getting the best advice for travel management etc. 

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/video/melbourne-city-fc-etihad-airways-flying-fit

I think I might neck myself if 'Badluck' John beats us with his smug face.

1. Knocked out of the ACL by Victory
  2. Socceroos knocked out
  3. Arzani leaving (potentially)
  4. Losing to Aloisi in the first game of the season

4 hours ago, haz said:

I think I might neck myself if 'Badluck' John beats us with his smug face.

1. Knocked out of the ACL by Victory
  2. Socceroos knocked out
  3. Arzani leaving (potentially)
  4. Losing to Aloisi in the first game of the season

Take it easy. We haven't even started the pre season and your thinking about dire shit.

Wait until all the above happens and then I'll join you.

24 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

should we be nervous ?

About what? About O'Halloran reneging on his contract?- no, he's keen to play for us and resurrect a faltering career.

About the match against Brisbane? - probably yes. One thing I noted last season was that both Sydney and Newcastle had a strong pre-season program of matches, and I'd point to that as a factor in their overall success. Brisbane have been quick out of the blocks this season, and IMO we won't be as prepared - either physically or tactically. At the moment we have just 14 signed senior players (includes Arzani, who may well leave us). Obviously there will be further signings, but IMO we'll do well if we can win this match up in Brisbane.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forever City said:

When do we come back from India?

India's first international football pre-season tournament, Toyota Yaris LaLiga World, will be held in Kochi with Indian Super League (ISL) club Kerala Blasters FC, Melbourne City FC and Girona FC from LaLiga locking horns in a three-way tournament. The three sides will play across five days at the Jawaharlal Nehru International Stadium in Kochi, starting on the 24th of July. 

From https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/melbourne-city-fc-travelling-india-take-girona-fc-and-kerala-blasters-july-2018

From that I'm assuming that the competition will be 24th-28th July and therefore we're likely to return on Sunday 29th July, giving us a week on the track before we go to Brisbane.

I note Newcastle are taking a fairly junior squad to their tournament in China, so I hope we're going to do the same here. Not much point in risking essential senior players in India.

Edited by jw1739
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Talks that 3000 tickets have been sold a few days ago.

I am not feeling very confident tbh. We have hardly done much this preseason. Kerala were worse then an NPL team, and Girona just played with us. We better get in one more game before the cup match

I expect we'll go with

Bouzanis
Atkinson  Schenkeveld   Malik   Jamieson
                  Griffiths          Brattan
                              McGree
Vidosic               Fornaroli          O'Halloran

Galekovic, Caceres, Delbridge, Wales, Pierias/Najaarine

Potentially Malik or Caceres starts in midfield ahead of Griffiths though given he hasnt played yet. Delbridge the likely CB if not Malik.

They will look something like this i expect:

Young
Hingert  Papadopolous DeVere/Bowles Nigro
                 Kristensen Mauk
                        Holman
Mikkelson     Taggart     Beauthec

White, Ingahm, Caletti, McKay, Devere/Bowles, Henrique

Pretty handy side they've put together, and looks as though their marquee will be their only signing to come. Back line still pretty susceptible imo.

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I expect we'll go with

Bouzanis
Atkinson  Schenkeveld   Malik   Jamieson
                  Griffiths          Brattan
                              McGree
Vidosic               Fornaroli          O'Halloran

Galekovic, Caceres, Delbridge, Wales, Pierias/Najaarine

Potentially Malik or Caceres starts in midfield ahead of Griffiths though given he hasnt played yet. Delbridge the likely CB if not Malik.

They will look something like this i expect:

Young
Hingert  Papadopolous DeVere/Bowles Nigro
                 Kristensen Mauk
                        Holman
Mikkelson     Taggart     Beauthec

White, Ingahm, Caletti, McKay, Devere/Bowles, Henrique

Pretty handy side they've put together, and looks as though their marquee will be their only signing to come. Back line still pretty susceptible imo.

Don’t rate there midfield 3 to be honest 

I don’t buy the ‘we are underdone’ argument. 

Whole squad was doing double sessions pretty much the entire time they spent in India.

We used to start preseason as early as Roar did and had no influence whatsoever, and Roar (as we did) have already had a week off from training 

• Like 1