Melbourne Football

Melbourne City FC pre season 2018

Forever City

A-League Pre-season Report: Adelaide 0-0 City

melbournecityfc.com.au
3-4 Minuten

Melbourne City has played out a tight 0-0 stalemate with Adelaide United on Tuesday afternoon behind closed doors at Coopers Stadium as the sides continue their preparations for the FFA Cup Round of 16 next week.

It was an opening where both sides felt each other out as the opening 20 minutes failed to create a clear-cut opportunity. The teams looked to attack down the left with Lachlan Wales for City and Ryan Kitto for Adelaide finding the most joy for their respective sides.

The Reds forced the first save of the match as Eugene Galekovic sprung into action. Like the early stages, the left was where Adelaide found their outlet to goal, with a cutback seeing Apostolos Stamatelopoulos flicking his effort on goal, forcing Galekovic into a sharp stop at his near post.

Vidosic found City’s first chance on goal after 35 minutes as the midfielder was given space to drive outside of the area. His shot was tame, falling straight into the hands of Paul Izzo.

As the half continued, the Reds looked the more likely to score with Craig Goodwin coming closest after 38 minutes. A free kick won by Ryan Kitto on the edge of the area saw the new signing step up to the set piece as his curling effort rattled the crossbar.

City kept the ball well however a turnover in the middle of the park opened the door for the Reds once again. Kitto’s cross to the back post found Goodwin free as his header forced a fine save from Galekovic. His parry fell to the feet of Vince Lia who could only guide the effort wide of the post.

The second half saw two changes as Bouzanis entered the match between the sticks while O’Halloran replaced Wales in the final third.

The sides traded blows that lacked any significant punch as a string of set pieces and transitions forward resulted in neither side troubling either keeper.

City looked the most dangerous in the half after 73 minutes as McGree found himself with space on the corner of the area. His curling left-foot shot failed to dip in time as his effort flew over the bar. The Reds looked most likely to break the deadlock in the latter stages however the sides settled for a scoreless draw in a contest where both sides were still in the developing stages of pre-season.

Warren Joyce’s side will now prepare for next Wednesday’s FFA Cup Round of 32 clash with Newcastle at AAMI Park, kick-off 7.30pm.

Melbourne City FC Starting XI: Galekovic, Atkinson Schenkeveld, Delbridge, Jamieson, Malik, Brattan, Vidosic, McGree, Wales, Fornaroli

Subs: Bouzanis, O’Halloran, J.Cavallo, Ahmed, Portelli

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/a-league-pre-season-report-adelaide-0-0-city

If Galekovic is in goals vs Newcastle, then I would expect Bouzanis is leaving.

Edited by haz
  • Thanks 1

On 21/08/2018 at 9:05 PM, Inchcolm said:

Surprised to see MOH on the bench again. He needs games, he played very little last season. No point in paying a lot of money for him to come half way round the world and not play him. As I have said before when he was at St Johnstone he always needed a match or two to get going.

I say a lot of money, I am assuming this as he was on £8,000 a week at Rangers if my calculations are correct that's almost 14,000 dollars a week (he had 2 years left on that contract). He was offered £3,000 a week at a number of Scottish clubs and that's over 5,000 dollars a week. So I would not expect him come here for less than that. 

Ok.

It’s time you realised the gaffer is a bloke from the English Midlands named Warren Joyce.

Old mate Wazza doesn’t give a flying f. what people are paid or how much skill they’ve got, if they don’t act like they are hard core fit and train the house down, all day, every day, they ain’t playing. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Ok.

It’s time you realised the gaffer is a bloke from the English Midlands named Warren Joyce.

Old mate Wazza doesn’t give a flying f. what people are paid or how much skill they’ve got, if they don’t act like they are hard core fit and train the house down, all day, every day, they ain’t playing. 

One minor correction. He's not from the Midlands, he's from Lancashire, in the North West. Otherwise, spot on. 

• 3 weeks later...

Meeting Adelaide for a friendly this week 

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/adelaide-uniteds-ken-ilso-says-its-weird-meeting-melbourne-city-next-week-given-the-clubs-could-meet-again-in-the-ffa-cup/news-story/2dbccdeaf6e6965e838f34e63e62f7bd

As Adelaide prepares to meet Melbourne City behind closed doors again this week, a fortnight after a scoreless draw in a friendly at Hindmarsh Stadium, Ilso finds it baffling.

Edited by CityBoyz

39 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Meeting Adelaide for a friendly this week 

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/adelaide-uniteds-ken-ilso-says-its-weird-meeting-melbourne-city-next-week-given-the-clubs-could-meet-again-in-the-ffa-cup/news-story/2dbccdeaf6e6965e838f34e63e62f7bd

As Adelaide prepares to meet Melbourne City behind closed doors again this week, a fortnight after a scoreless draw in a friendly at Hindmarsh Stadium, Ilso finds it baffling.

I cannot get into the site what day and time please?

25 minutes ago, haz said:

Why always Adelaide? 

Is it Petrillo just seeing he mates?

The two clubs like pissing in each others pockets. Part of the anti-Lowy movement at FFA.

I preferred it when we had a few open pre-season matches when we got to see our new signings and triallists. 

Perhaps we don’t see the value in playing NPL clubs and want to just play A-League clubs. If this is the case it makes sense that we keep playing Adelaide. Geographically, they are the closest a-league club to us, besides vuck but obviously we would not want to face them in preseason. 

Edited by icantthinkofacoolname

6 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

Perhaps we don’t see the value in playing NPL clubs and want to just play A-League clubs. If this is the case it makes sense that we keep playing Adelaide. Geographically, they are the closest a-league club to us, besides vuck but obviously we would not want to face them in preseason. 

Its up to Waz I guess if he wants Quality over Quantity 

18 minutes ago, HughJass said:

But which npl clubs would play? Most have finished for the year or are in finals as well as juggling ffa cup 

Its all about relationships for those clubs.

But the closer it gets to our season, the less likely we are to find NPL teams. The only options would be teams left in the FFA cup that want to prepare. Bentleigh would be a good opponent.

8 minutes ago, HughJass said:

But which npl clubs would play? Most have finished for the year or are in finals as well as juggling ffa cup 

In the past we played Port Melbourne, Oakleigh and Springvale. We also played a few "Select XI" teams; one was the "Peninsula Select XI" which we played in at least two pre-seasons down at Langwarrin. Matches against Knights were canned after an incident at the first match involving spectators. All these were in the Heart days IIRC.

In the Heart days too there were two open pre-season matches vs other A-League clubs - IIRC these were an FFA requirement. I recall we played Newcastle down in Morwell. I also went to pre-season matches in Dandenong - that was the pre-season when JvS returned to the club, vs. Perth at Epping, an XI in Ballarat or Bendigo (can't remember which), a couple at the Veneto club, one against the Latrobe Uni XI, etc. etc. For a couple of seasons we also played a match at the Family Day - I remember Hoffy scoring a bucket-load of goals there.

43 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Got to admit I am a little worried about the caliber of signings at other clubs. But it would be just like us to go unnoticed in the preseason and then win the thing

I think Perth look quite formidable tbh, but imo the others aren't better on paper than us, assuming the marquee is a clear best XI player. 
Victory have done well to assemble a half decent squad given their losses, but imo they will still be a way off.

5 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think Perth look quite formidable tbh, but imo the others aren't better on paper than us, assuming the marquee is a clear best XI player. 
Victory have done well to assemble a half decent squad given their losses, but imo they will still be a way off.

1-2 injuries and they will be no good but as it was last year they got the right players on the park for the finals series and won a trophy 

35 minutes ago, bt50 said:

On paper they look all right, but all their  Socceroos were duds for the national team lately

Davidson - dud

Franjic - was poor for Brisbane

Spiranovic - Decent player, but sitting on the bench in the Chinese 2nd Div how rusty will he be?

Brimmer - dud

Mrcela - Should be decent

Castro - doubt he will break into a run this season, 36 years old this season

Keough - Usually decent against us

Kilkenny - Decent if played in the right system

Ikonomidis - Decent

Popovic - Yea he won the ACL, but remember his final to seasons in Australia he finished 6th and 7th respectively. Then went on to fail in Turkey. He's a better coach than Lowe though 

----------------------------------
In terms of Victory, I would be surprised if Honda takes the league seriously. I think their Swedish striker will play well

Edited by haz

Melbourne City continued their preparations for the FFA Cup Quarter Finals on Wednesday as they defeated Adelaide United 2-0 at CFA Melbourne on Wednesday.

A first half blitz from the hosts secured the result as Lachie Wales and Dario Vidosic found the back on the net in the space of four minutes to secure the result.

After taking on the Reds a fortnight ago in Adelaide, City knew what to expect from their opponent, starting more cautiously against Marco Kurz side.

The first chance of the match fell to Adelaide as Craig Goodwin looked dangerous in his new midfield role. The midfielder found space on the edge of the area however the quick City defence got close enough to pressure his effort, seeing his shot fall straight to Eugene Galekovic.

City took control of the contest and made the most of their advantage, finding the back of the net after 12 minutes. A brilliant combination on the left involving Scott Jamieson found the feet of Bruno Fornaroli as the striker pivoted and looked forward towards goal. A darting run from Wales through the Adelaide defence was rewarded by the Uruguayan as he slotted his one-on-one effort past Paul Izzo.

City doubled their lead four minutes later as a wonderful turn from Luke Brattan in the middle of the park opened the door for the opportunity. His through ball on the right to speedster Michael O’Halloran made room for the Scotsman to drive down the wing as his cutback to the run of Vidosic saw the experienced forward make no mistake to double City's lead.

Adelaide were looking for answers and it seemed to have come through the unlikely source of Michael Jakobsen as his marauding run resulted in a cutback to Ben Halloran as he flicked his effort over the bar. City finished the half stronger however, forcing Izzo into two smothering saves off the boots of O’Halloran and Riley McGree late in the first stanza.

A change in formation by the Reds tightened things up in the second half as the hosts found it more difficult to break down the Adelaide defence.

Mark Birighitti made his debut for the Club after half time and was called into action after 56 minutes. A turnover from Bart Schenkeveld opened the door for Adelaide’s attack to counter as Goodwin’s fierce effort struck the keeper’s near post.

The keeper was in the thick of the action once again as a second phase cross from Vince Lia sailed towards the back post as Birighitti palmed his effort away from goal.

As the sun set at CFA Melbourne, so too did the chances in the match and it was Adelaide who would have the last opportunity after 73 minutes. A cleared ball into the path of Goodwin saw the attacker chest his effort down and volley towards goal, rocketing off the outside of the post and away from danger.

City coasted through the remaining of the contest as they continued their preparations for Wednesday’s FFA Cup Quarter Final against Western Sydney.

From club website. 

• Thanks 2

So based on the report & photos posted we know that:

Galekovic played and kept clean sheet, subbed off at 56'

Birrighitti played and kept clean sheet, subbed on at 56'

Fornaroli and O'Halloran both played and both provided 1 assist each

Vidosic and Wales played and both scored 1 goal each

Jamieson, Brattan, McGree, Delbridge all played

Just now, icantthinkofacoolname said:

I'm getting a bit nervous about Atkinson's growth this season. Seems out of favour. Hoping he gets back into the XI

5 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

I read it as Birighitti playing the whole of the second half. And Schenkeveld also played.

1 hour ago, haz said:

I'm getting a bit nervous about Atkinson's growth this season. Seems out of favour. Hoping he gets back into the XI

I don't think he's out of favour, either off the field or on it. Off-field he's featured a lot in the club promotions, and on-field we've got such depth in the squad that he's just not a starter atm. I've said it before, but there's quality everywhere you look. If De Laet comes in then our recruiting this time around has been bloody good.