• This defense + GK starting XI was always going to be dodgy
  • Delbridge you're still shit
  • Wales, I hope you're warming the bench this season
  • If it was Atkinson's first game I would be calling for his head
  • Bouzanis >>> Galekovic
  • Blasters are going to lose by double digits to Girona

Spot on

1 minute ago, Afif Adam said:

Still dk why Delbridge is starting and La Rocca isn’t....wasn’t he benched aswell in Tuesday

The bloke must have said something about Wazzas shorts.

Monsoon tropics and Wazza wearing a jacket. Blokes more out of touch than an Indian slum.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jeffplz said:

They have about 7 direct Man City loanees, picked up points against Atletico Madrid twice and a squad worth more than 10x ours. Not worried

Yea was never going to be our game anyway.

Hey CFG wanna send some loanees over here?.... FFA will be gone soon

That step up in class was a step too far. I hope you do not mind a couple of observations.

Trying to play football in and just outside your 18 yard box is a complete no no especially against a mid table La Liga team

Holding on to the ball for more than two touches again is suicide as Spanish teams press in packs of 3 and shut down your space

One outlet is usually a long ball up to centre forward. Only problem with this tactic is that you need a centre forward who can hold up the ball waiting on support Also you need a goal keeper who can accurately pass the ball to him. Neither of these qualities were evident today.

Having said all that do not be despondent I saw more than enough in the first game to let me say you will do well this season. In my opinion to enhance your team you need a strong CB and Striker

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dylan said:

For those who watched was 6-0 a fair reflection? Or more of a result of the defence and keeper?

These two results are perfect for a Costanza quote

not showin off not fallin behind 

Girona were a step above but weak defending from Delbridge for most goals. Galekovic's keeping was horrible, and the last goal was a defensive cock-up mainly from Delbridge but also from Bouzanis fumbling a shot

Think we need to try and ship Delbridge back to the US 2nd Division where he was supposedly coveted as there's definitely better centre backs playing NPL. As for Eugene, he was on the slide massively for the 2 seasons prior to joining us, with any luck he'll realize he's no longer up to it and retire.

Player ratings from last nights game https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/toyota-yaris-la-liga-world-girona-fc-vs-melbourne-city-fc-player-ratings-ss

Eugene Galekovic (4/10): The new man in goal for Melbourne City FC began on a poor note as Portugues beat him twice inside the first twenty minutes of the match.

Harrison Delbridge (4.5/10): The defender had a tough night on the pitch as the Girona attack controlled the tempo of the game.

Nathaniel Atkinson (4.5/10): Atkinson was up against the highly creative and dangerous Portugues and struggled to keep the attacker in check.

Scott Jamieson (4/10): The defender had a poor night in the backline as the Girona FC side bullied the Melbourne defence with their quick passing and counter-attacking moves.

Luke Brattan (5/10): The tough-tackling midfielder was kept busy by the Girona FC midfielders who passed the ball freely in the centre of the park.

Mitch Graham (5/10): Graham was made to work hard by Girona FC as they dominated possession and controlled the tempo of the game.

Michael O'Halloran (5/10): Michael O'Halloran was active on the flanks for the Australian side but found it tough to break the resistance of the Spanish defensive lineup.

Riley McGree (6/10): McGree had a couple of attacking moves for the Melbourne side and came close to troubling the Girona keeper but was kept in check by the sturdy defence.

Bruno Fornaroli (5.5/10): The midfielder had a decent outing in the midfield and was part of a couple of chances in the box but did not produce the goods.

Dario Vidosic (5.5/10): The attacker tried to make good runs through the sturdy Girona FC defence but was unsuccessful for the most part. Unfortunately, he had to be subbed out in the first half as a precaution after a slight injury scare.

Lachlan Wales (6/10): The young striker created the only legitimate chance for the Australian side after some good footwork but failed to hit the target. He was a rare bright spark in the attack for the Melbourne side despite their attacking struggles.

Substitutes:

Anthony Caceres (5/10): The forward had to come on after the half-hour mark replacing Dario Vidosic in the frontline. He created a good chance for Fornaroli but it came to no fruition.

Dean Bouzanis (4/10): The keeper came on at the start of the second half after Galekovic let in three goals in the first period. Bouzanis began poorly as the Spaniards scored from the corner and another scrappy goal added to his misery.

Dylan Pierias (3.5/10): Pierias replaced Scott Jamieson in the Melbourne defensive lineup after the hour mark in the match.

7 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Well pick the bones out of that... 

We've seen it all before. A totally useless pre-season exercise playing lop-sided matches - usually against very weak sides (such as Kerala or the Latrobe University XI) but this time playing a far superior side (Girona) as well. I doubt that we've got anything out of the trip whatsoever from a football perspective, except to confirm what we've all known all along - that some of our squad were poor signings from the start.

IMO these things are senior management issues. And they've been in our club for a long while.

I doubt that the actual result will have much effect on Joyce and the players except to dent some confidence, and it isn't the best preparation for the FFA Cup match against Brisbane.

Move on.

I don’t understand why some think these games are pointless or you can’t take anything out of it. In my opinion such games against better opposition are excellent to see who can deal with less space, quicker thinking and faster football. Joyce can take a good learning out of it, wether he sees what we see is a different story.

Some points to work on.

- Fornaroli really needs to start make variations in runs and come into spaces. Game plan is always the same with waiting for defenders to run in his back causing fallovers, poor touches and playacting for free kicks. A simple acceleration towards the ball or in space can make a big difference.

- Delbridge still can’t defend and lacks football skills, as we know struggles at A League level too. I can honestly say we would have lost with 3-0 without him.

- Wales, is not suited to play as a 10. He might be talented but doesn’t seem gifted enough if you compare him to Caceras or Vidosic. One thing really stood out for me on how lazy he is, in his running and tracking back.

- Galekovic needs to retire as these games should be games where goalkeepers battle it out for first spot.

- Experienced players like Jamieson, Halloran and some extend Brattan really seem to struggle, clearly visible when put under pressure. Passing, first touches need work. Then again that’s why they play in Australia and not Spain.

- Atkinson frustrating to watch at times with excellent moves and ball control followed by a bad pass.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I don’t understand why some think these games are pointless or you can’t take anything out of it. In my opinion such games against better opposition are excellent to see who can deal with less space, quicker thinking and faster football. Joyce can take a good learning out of it, wether he sees what we see is a different story.

Some points to work on.

- Fornaroli really needs to start make variations in runs and come into spaces. Game plan is always the same with waiting for defenders to run in his back causing fallovers, poor touches and playacting for free kicks. A simple acceleration towards the ball or in space can make a big difference.

- Delbridge still can’t defend and lacks football skills, as we know struggles at A League level too. I can honestly say we would have lost with 3-0 without him.

- Wales, is not suited to play as a 10. He might be talented but doesn’t seem gifted enough if you compare him to Caceras or Vidosic. One thing really stood out for me on how lazy he is, in his running and tracking back.

- Galekovic needs to retire as these games should be games where goalkeepers battle it out for first spot.

- Experienced players like Jamieson, Halloran and some extend Brattan really seem to struggle, clearly visible when put under pressure. Passing, first touches need work. Then again that’s why they play in Australia and not Spain.

- Atkinson frustrating to watch at times with excellent moves and ball control followed by a bad pass.

Some good points. Overall IMO we lack two things - as we did last season. We don't have a game-changing player - someone who can impose themselves on the game. Neither do we have a leader - someone who can get the players to lift. That's why we've never made a Grand Final.

24 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Whats the deal with playing Delbridge and Galekovic ? Was it to confirm just how bad they are or was Joyce seriously considering them first team players ?

You serious? The pre season games exist to test line ups

16 hours ago, ABC123 said:

Spewing Bentleigh Greens pulled out of a friendly with us, to now have one with Victory mid August. I was looking forward to walking to a game.

Now hoping the Oakleigh one goes ahead, just waiting for confirmation on date.

Well, we're all waiting. I've yet to see an announcement on any pre-season match here in Melbourne. That's the way to engage with fans - keep it going CFG.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Well, we're all waiting. I've yet to see an announcement on any pre-season match here in Melbourne. That's the way to engage with fans - keep it going CFG.

So in one thread you're moaning about them sending you emails and surveys and in another you're complaining that they're not engaging enough?

1 hour ago, Embee said:

So in one thread you're moaning about them sending you emails and surveys and in another you're complaining that they're not engaging enough?

Because the survey is rubbish. It refers to season 2017/18. It asks questions that aren't relevant - such as ticket prices in the past month when there haven't been any matches to go to. And there's no "not applicable" to get to the next question.

You haven't got a clue what you're talking about if you didn't get the survey.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Because the survey is rubbish. It refers to season 2017/18. It asks questions that aren't relevant - such as ticket prices in the past month when there haven't been any matches to go to. And there's no "not applicable" to get to the next question.

You haven't got a clue what you're talking about if you didn't get the survey.

lol, you're complaining about 3 different subjects across 3 different threads. They could send you a perfect survey and you'd still find a reason to moan about it.

That being said, your mentioned gripe is hardly that significant anyway, perhaps its a poorly worded reference to the last month of the 2017/18 season? Just looking for obscure reasons to piss and moan because we haven't unveiled a signing or won a pre-season game in the last few days.