Melbourne Football

Melbourne City FC pre season 2018

Forever City

6 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

what a way to start your day...

It'll make humpday feel better

5 minutes ago, haz said:

TTIM: Missing the 2nd half

TTDIM: (humble brag) Missing the 2nd half to test drive a $400k sports car.

excuses....

test driving a a 3K car this weekend, wish me luck, I need a new one.

Edited by moops
  • Like 1

from the youth Najjarine and Cavallo looked good to me, Iannuchi kept getting mentioned a lot by the Spanish guy's, I guess he did well but it was hard at times to make out players i the second half on my stream.

Bruno came on and was awesome as always, Brattan was our goat, with special mention to Malik, McGree and Vidosic.

For our pre-season hitout it was a pretty good game, can't wait for Girona tbh, it will be a better test and the boy's will have had a run out.

6 minutes ago, haz said:

Anyone got 2nd half highlights?

Sorry no, you can keep checking youtube, or http://sportsvideo.net/sport/soccer

will sometimes repeat full games.

Great result, nice to see some of the new boys getting on the scoresheet too. Only watched the first half but from what I saw we looked solid, organised and moved the ball well. That being said, the amount of Kerala fans commenting on the Melbourne City Facebook posts saying how much of an honour it was to play "one of the best teams in Asia" makes me think that they are of a fairly low standard and the result shouldn't really be read into too much.

• Like 2

Good result for the first practice match of the season. You can only play against the team you're asked to play against, and 6-0 is a good result. Great to see we have so much young talent around our club. I don't mind being something of a feeder club if I can I see youngsters full of confidence and talent like this. 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Good result for the first practice match of the season.

For me it was the first 2 goals that showed a hint of a more direct style of play. The two combinations that set up those goals were refreshing and indicate a greater training focus in that area. Encouraging. 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I don't mind being something of a feeder club if I can I see youngsters full of confidence and talent like this. 

Not at the cost of success, mediocrity shouldn't be tolerated.

31 minutes ago, playmaker said:

For me it was the first 2 goals that showed a hint of a more direct style of play. The two combinations that set up those goals were refreshing and indicate a greater training focus in that area. Encouraging. 

I don't see anything mediocre about the young players we had last night.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Player ratings https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/toyota-yaris-la-liga-world-kerala-blasters-vs-melbourne-city-fc-player-ratings-ss/2

Dean Bouzanis (7/10): Bouzanis hardly had anything to do during the game. He did make two good saves and had a couple of good outings. 

Nathaniel Atkinson (7.5/10): Atkinson was solid defensively, and he often ventured forward and instigated attacking moves. 

Bart Schenkeveld (7/10): Schenkeveld was solid defensively and was seldom beaten by the Kerala attackers. He broke down a host of attacks and was always a target man during set pieces. 

Osama Malik (8/10): The centre-back cleared a host of Kerala Blasters attacks. He was a wall, and he did his job brilliantly. 

Scott Jamieson (7/10): Prasanth beat Jamieson for pace quite often, but Jamieson almost always made up for it and covered his tracks and didn't let Prasanth get the better of him. 

Luke Brattan (8.5/10): Brattan controlled the game for the time he was on the pitch. He provided a delicious cross for Vidosic during the first goal and played a lot of key passes during the game. 

Riley McGree (9/10): The livewire of the game, McGree was a class above his counterparts. The Kerala Blasters defenders had a torrid experience keeping him in check. Mcgree scored a brace in the game, with a goal in both halves. 

Michael O'Halloran (8.5/10): O'Halloran ran riot through the Kerala defence with his tricky runs and had an assist to his name too. He had a couple of shots at goal also.  

Anthony Caceres (9/10): The Australian midfielder who is on a loan stint at Melbourne City from Manchester City had a good game, as his passes split the Kerala defence often. He had a brilliant assist to his name too. 

Dario Vidosic (8/10): Vidosic opened the scoring for the night as he headed home from a Brattan lofted through ball. Vidosic had a couple of more chances also but failed to convert them. 

Lachlan Wales (8.5/10): Wales worked very hard during his time on the pitch and eventually rewarded with a goal in the second half. He played some excellent passes too. 

Substitutes

Ramy Najjarine (9/10): Najjarine was probably the best player for Melbourne City today, he had an immediate impact on the game. He played some nice passes and scored a good goal too. 

Bruno Fornaroli (8/10): Fornaroli scored the sixth goal of the game. He did an excellent job to break the offside trap and slot the ball home. 

Harrison Delbridge (7/10): Delbridge had an excellent second half as he controlled long parts of the game and also split open the Kerala defence on numerous occasions. 

Conor Metcalfe (8/10): Hit the post with a curling effort, he showed his quality on the ball during his limited time on the pitch. He had more than a few pops at goal from a distance. 

Christian Cavallo (7/10): He had a good game, and found his man with every pass he made. He helped Melbourne control the game in the second half. 

Dylan Pierias (8/10): The young right-back had a good game, and showed why he is rated highly by the Melbourne City team. He was calm and composed while defending and seldom beaten. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Tomi said:

Player ratings https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/toyota-yaris-la-liga-world-kerala-blasters-vs-melbourne-city-fc-player-ratings-ss/2

Dean Bouzanis (7/10): Bouzanis hardly had anything to do during the game. He did make two good saves and had a couple of good outings. 

Nathaniel Atkinson (7.5/10): Atkinson was solid defensively, and he often ventured forward and instigated attacking moves. 

Bart Schenkeveld (7/10): Schenkeveld was solid defensively and was seldom beaten by the Kerala attackers. He broke down a host of attacks and was always a target man during set pieces. 

Osama Malik (8/10): The centre-back cleared a host of Kerala Blasters attacks. He was a wall, and he did his job brilliantly. 

Scott Jamieson (7/10): Prasanth beat Jamieson for pace quite often, but Jamieson almost always made up for it and covered his tracks and didn't let Prasanth get the better of him. 

Luke Brattan (8.5/10): Brattan controlled the game for the time he was on the pitch. He provided a delicious cross for Vidosic during the first goal and played a lot of key passes during the game. 

Riley McGree (9/10): The livewire of the game, McGree was a class above his counterparts. The Kerala Blasters defenders had a torrid experience keeping him in check. Mcgree scored a brace in the game, with a goal in both halves. 

Michael O'Halloran (8.5/10): O'Halloran ran riot through the Kerala defence with his tricky runs and had an assist to his name too. He had a couple of shots at goal also.  

Anthony Caceres (9/10): The Australian midfielder who is on a loan stint at Melbourne City from Manchester City had a good game, as his passes split the Kerala defence often. He had a brilliant assist to his name too. 

Dario Vidosic (8/10): Vidosic opened the scoring for the night as he headed home from a Brattan lofted through ball. Vidosic had a couple of more chances also but failed to convert them. 

Lachlan Wales (8.5/10): Wales worked very hard during his time on the pitch and eventually rewarded with a goal in the second half. He played some excellent passes too. 

Substitutes

Ramy Najjarine (9/10): Najjarine was probably the best player for Melbourne City today, he had an immediate impact on the game. He played some nice passes and scored a good goal too. 

Bruno Fornaroli (8/10): Fornaroli scored the sixth goal of the game. He did an excellent job to break the offside trap and slot the ball home. 

Harrison Delbridge (7/10): Delbridge had an excellent second half as he controlled long parts of the game and also split open the Kerala defence on numerous occasions. 

Conor Metcalfe (8/10): Hit the post with a curling effort, he showed his quality on the ball during his limited time on the pitch. He had more than a few pops at goal from a distance. 

Christian Cavallo (7/10): He had a good game, and found his man with every pass he made. He helped Melbourne control the game in the second half. 

Dylan Pierias (8/10): The young right-back had a good game, and showed why he is rated highly by the Melbourne City team. He was calm and composed while defending and seldom beaten. 

It's a good job they didn't see Arzani, otherwise they would have been lost for superlatives. 

Anyone pick up who the British commentator was? Obviously from my part of the world in the West Midlands, he sounded awfully familiar but I couldn't quite place him. 

15 minutes ago, moops said:

I wouldn't say a step above, but he didn't look out of place either.

Well Arzani always did say Najjarine was better then him...

As Ive said before, I hope we see another 2 youth guys break into the XI, Last season it was Atkinson and Arzani. Unless Atkinson pushes up the pitch, I cant see Pierias getting a spot, depending on our Marquee/Arzani, maybe be might see Najjarine or Najjar step up in the front 3

12 minutes ago, haz said:

As Ive said before, I hope we see another 2 youth guys break into the XI, Last season it was Atkinson and Arzani. Unless Atkinson pushes up the pitch, I cant see Pierias getting a spot, depending on our Marquee/Arzani, maybe be might see Najjarine or Najjar step up in the front 3

Lets hope so. You would think its all based around how the senior players perform. We didnt see Arzani or Atkinson until later on in the season. In saying this you could see Najjarine and Pierias getting some game time. Najjar played at LB and did ok but would need to see more of him at 9. You could add a couple more to your list also haz. Its looking good regarding our youth regardless.

15 minutes ago, AXIOM said:

Lets hope so. You would think its all based around how the senior players perform. We didnt see Arzani or Atkinson until later on in the season. In saying this you could see Najjarine and Pierias getting some game time. Najjar played at LB and did ok but would need to see more of him at 9. You could add a couple more to your list also haz. Its looking good regarding our youth regardless.

Najjar played LB???? I thought the kid was an out-n-out striker

44 minutes ago, haz said:

I meant that compared to Brattan or McGree he wasn't a step above, but he didn't look out of place either ;)

5 minutes ago, AXIOM said:

Yep LB. Vidosic first half at 9, tuna second half. Maybe there just to get 45 under his belt so hard to judge. 

You would think so, I'm pretty sure he can play anywhere in the front third, I think he has been a 10 in the NPL though.

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't mind being something of a feeder club if I can I see youngsters full of confidence and talent like this. 

9 hours ago, playmaker said:

I'd be very happy if we became a bit of an Australian version of Ajax perhaps. 

Edited by icantthinkofacoolname

Had a look at our next opponents Girona. They got promoted to La Liga last season and finished in top half, missing out on a Europa Cup place by 7 points. So I believe they will be a much bigger challenge. They will also be fresher as we will have only 3 days to recover. I do not know how many of their first team players they have brought with them. However after last nights result I am looking forward to the match.

Do you think WJ will start with the same 11 players and formation?

11 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

Had a look at our next opponents Girona. They got promoted to La Liga last season and finished in top half, missing out on a Europa Cup place by 7 points. So I believe they will be a much bigger challenge. They will also be fresher as we will have only 3 days to recover. I do not know how many of their first team players they have brought with them. However after last nights result I am looking forward to the match.

Looking forward to this as well, just hoping for a good performance. 

I think we will have the same formation, but the team that starts will be what WJ see's as the first team, the game against Kerala was just to get minutes into legs. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

It's a pre-season match so I wouldn't stress about the result. IMO Joyce will be assessing players both as individuals and how they're settling in with each other. I think he'll still give most of the touring party some minutes in this match too. Girona are also touring in the UK - or have been - so I think they'll have a mixed squad along the same lines as ours.

Coming off Tuesday’s 6-0 win over Indian Super League outfit Kerala Blasters, Joyce applauded his sides work in their first friendly of the 2018/19 season but says there will be plenty to refine from his end before they take on Brisbane Roar in the FFA Cup Round of 32.
“All in all, it was a good workout for us,” Joyce said.
“There are plenty of things we need to improve on and get better at but it has been an enjoyable experience, a fantastic atmosphere from the crowd and good stadium and pitch.
“There is a long way to go before our season. These are build up games and we want to obviously win every game that we play but both games (in India) are in preparation for the FFA Cup game and we'll assess on Thursday where everyone is at and decide the team for Girona.”
The match allowed Joyce to not only roll out his new signings but give the spotlight to some of the youth talent waiting in the wings and the Englishman felt there were good signs for his side.
“I thought the kids in the second half showed good intent and intensity for 30-35 minutes. They enjoyed the experience here,” he said.

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/joyce-hard-work-will-continue

3 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Hard to tell if it was opposition drive but O'Halloran really looks like a byline winger which is something which would play into our strengths quite nicely in addition to the cut-in types we already have.

I reckon a winger of that sort really suits Riley McGree, who is sort of your late arrival to the box cut back midfielder. Tbh it's probably why i favour him for the 10 at the moment.

Edited by bt50