Melbourne Football

Melbourne City FC pre season 2018

Forever City

11 hours ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Given that the FFA cup is up soon after. And no other friendlies announced - do you really think they would not send a full squad? I thought it would be a given, at least against Girona.

@JMSTEP123I'm in the same position as everyone else - we won't know until the squad for India is announced. This India tournament looks to me to be a CFG "brand-selling" exercise, and I'd say it over-rides any FFA Cup considerations. How serious were we about the FFA Cup anyway, coming back to training a bare month before the match against Brisbane? Cynical perhaps, but that's how it looks to me.

BTW, have you been to India? Easiest place in the world to get sick. You need to boil the water you use to clean your teeth it's that bad. 

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@JMSTEP123I'm in the same position as everyone else - we won't know until the squad for India is announced. This India tournament looks to me to be a CFG "brand-selling" exercise, and I'd say it over-rides any FFA Cup considerations. How serious were we about the FFA Cup anyway, coming back to training a bare month before the match against Brisbane? Cynical perhaps, but that's how it looks to me.

BTW, have you been to India? Easiest place in the world to get sick. You need to boil the water you use to clean your teeth it's that bad. 

Yes nothing better than a week of Delhi Belly. 

In some way I hope we take it seriously. The chance to play Girona is a good exercise for our squad. I do not think much of the other match up - good run for youth.

Good for our squad to head overseas together too irrespective of location. I agree it is a branding exercise, but it seems to have taken place over the local friendlies we have been acustom to.

I wonder had the same event been held in Aus whether we would be taking the whole squad. Time will tell I suppose!

Also - surely we should not be cruising about the FFA cup. We won it 2 seasons back. Our effort last year was abysmal against Sydney, not that I was expecting to win. Surely we should be grabbing both these opportunities by the balls in order to hit the ground running once the season begins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Yes nothing better than a week of Delhi Belly. 

In some way I hope we take it seriously. The chance to play Girona is a good exercise for our squad. I do not think much of the other match up - good run for youth.

Good for our squad to head overseas together too irrespective of location. I agree it is a branding exercise, but it seems to have taken place over the local friendlies we have been acustom to.

I wonder had the same event been held in Aus whether we would be taking the whole squad. Time will tell I suppose!

Also - surely we should not be cruising about the FFA cup. We won it 2 seasons back. Our effort last year was abysmal against Sydney, not that I was expecting to win. Surely we should be grabbing both these opportunities by the balls in order to hit the ground running once the season begins.

Id be happy with a 60/40 squad. 60% first team (leave VISAs in Aus) and 40% youth.

-------------------------------Delianov---------------------------------

Atkinson--Metcalfe--La Rocca/Delbridge--Jamieson

----------------------------------Malik--------------------------------------

-------------------------Wales-----------Caceras------------------------

Vidosic------------------------Najjar-------------------------Najjarine

SUBS: Galekovic, Pierias, Cavllo, Youth, Youth

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, haz said:

Id be happy with a 60/40 squad. 60% first team (leave VISAs in Aus) and 40% youth.

Looks good!

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/joyce-we-want-challenge-players

“Training in heat obviously is good for us, and we expect it to be challenging. You know, it’ll be double sessions and we won’t be tapering down for the games.

"We want to work hard, it’s still pre-season and we’re building up to the Brisbane game and more importantly, building up for the season kick-off in October.”

Edited by HughJass

On 11/07/2018 at 11:48 PM, haz said:

I don't know much about the scholarship players but I think Najjarine is more of a 10 and Metcalfe is actually a midfielder (RB at a pinch, definitely not a CB though). 

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

I don't know much about the scholarship players but I think Najjarine is more of a 10 and Metcalfe is actually a midfielder (RB at a pinch, definitely not a CB though). 

I am not sure where people get the idea about Metcalfe being a Rb/Lb. He has only played that position once with the A league on debut to fill in for Atkinson. Joyce even said he was playing out of position and did a good job. In all the Youth Games and NYL he is a solid 8/10. Najjarine on the other hand always plays on the wing. I suppose Joyce will throw them in wherever he wants depending on the first team situation, injuries and so forth. We definitely need to test these youth prospects out through India games  and FFA cup etc so that they have at least some confidence and experience when out first team is inevitably decimated through injuries. As far as prep for the FFA cup, yes i agree we seem to have cut our pre- season short compared to others. I get the feeling FFA cup is an optional for Joyce this season wheras the Toilet seat and a ACL berth is not. 

• Like 1

On 11/07/2018 at 11:48 PM, haz said:

7 minutes ago, haz said:

So anyone know how we can watch the Indian games?

I followed the Indian team on Twitter and star sports or hotstar are what their saying it might be streamed on. 

1 hour ago, haz said:

So anyone know how we can watch the Indian games?

The game is being televised on "Star Sports 2" an Indian TV company. The programme starts at 6:55pm (Indian Time). i am trying to find a link to Cyprus. Will let you know if I find one and it may work in Australia. 

37 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

The game is being televised on "Star Sports 2" an Indian TV company. The programme starts at 6:55pm (Indian Time). i am trying to find a link to Cyprus. Will let you know if I find one and it may work in Australia. 

I got a VPN so I can watch from anywhere

47 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

Anyone been through instagram recently? The Indians are more passionate about our team than we are. Getting star treatment as if we're Man City.

When you live in a shit hole, I think anything from outside of it would make you happy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jeffplz said:

Anyone been through instagram recently? The Indians are more passionate about our team than we are. Getting star treatment as if we're Man City.

In a way, we are, in case you haven't noticed. They see us as a Melbourne team, whereas many of us see our club as not "a Melbourne club for Melbourne people" but just part of CFG.

1 hour ago, AXIOM said:

I read somewhere 60k tickets have been sold for tonights game. This would be the biggest crowd the boys have played in front off by about 52,687 LOL.

That's why some (including Tony Sage, owner of Perth) think we should have a South-East Asia Super League instead of trying to manufacture clubs such as Woop Woop United to join the A-league.

Next we'll read that CFG are going to invest in India...

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

That's why some (including Tony Sage, owner of Perth) think we should have a South-East Asia Super League instead of trying to manufacture clubs such as Woop Woop United to join the A-league.

Next we'll read that CFG are going to invest in India...

Image result for super rugby

5 hours ago, AXIOM said:

I read somewhere 60k tickets have been sold for tonights game. This would be the biggest crowd the boys have played in front off by about 52,687 LOL.

Michael O'Halloran played at Wembley for Sheffield Utd in a play off final which went to penalties that crowd must have been over 50,000 also the Scottish cup final as well as playing at Rangers and Celtic home grounds. I do not know much about the other City players,

The penalty shoot out at Wembley. A couple of young stars e.g. Harry McGuire England's centre half.

5 hours ago, AXIOM said:

There have been some big crowds at Docklands for the Derby. Not 60,000, but IIRC over 40,000

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

There have been some big crowds at Docklands for the Derby. Not 60,000, but IIRC over 40,000

the record is around 43 i think. another two or three around the 40+ mark tho.

EDIT record is 50,873 in the SF in 14-15. there's a 45,202 from the first derby of s4 and then 6 other derbies with attendances of 40+. Cahill's debut drew 43,188.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1