Melbourne Football

Lachlan Wales

IssySG

1 hour ago, Missing_Moy said:

Disagree put it to a good spot plenty of times 

I agree with this. One thing what hasn’t changed is that when it finally comes to a cross we are often outnumbered in the box. Often we are sending a cross in from either direction with Jmac surrounded by 4 opposition players.

• Like 1

It's taken two seasons for Florin to get into his stride. Now a lot of people don't want to see him go. Wales is worth another season or two. We need to build a settled team to get consistency - turning over the squad every year doesn't help us at all.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

Disagree put it to a good spot plenty of times 

He certainly isn't perfect, but he needs to work on his consistency and decision making I.e "football smarts" 

He has a good base to work from and that is his speed and ability to get into dangerous/attacking positions. If he was to work real hard on his crossing, dribbling around defenders and game intelligence with when to place a through ball as opposed to having a shot. Then he would be a very good player and probably be knocking on the door of a European club... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

He certainly isn't perfect, but he needs to work on his consistency and decision making I.e "football smarts" 

He has a good base to work from and that is his speed and ability to get into dangerous/attacking positions. If he was to work real hard on his crossing, dribbling around defenders and game intelligence with when to place a through ball as opposed to having a shot. Then he would be a very good player and probably be knocking on the door of a European club... 

And then he can play with Kamau in the premier league?

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We should try him on left wing, so when he does that over hit by 30 metres cross, instead of landing in the crowd, it lands at right back

But seriously, he can't start for us anymore. He is a squad player, I'm not 100% against keeping him as he knows the structures and he can be ok for a cameo off the bench, and he won't be on much money. If he found a better opportunity then let him go, if not possibly keep if there isn't a better back up winger option 

7 hours ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

He’d be fine coming on for the last 15 minutes and running at tired defenders, but I don’t like him starting every game 

Agreed, would be a solid bench player but zero goals & 3 assists for a winger is not starting material. 

Wales is great option as an impact sub, less pressure on him and any defender with tired legs isn't gonna want to see him coming off the bench. As disapointing as he is most of the time he's a run of the mill A-League backup player, if Susaeta had returned I think we wouldn't be talking about Wales starting.

Ramy hasn't offered anything outstanding this season and really needs a move on loan where he can play a regular 60 minutes plus every game but I can't see him suiting our high pressing game plan as he doesn't have the attributes. He looked slow and cumbersome when he came on last night, given his limited game time it wasn't that surprising.

2 foreign wingers next season and we're the team to beat, particularly is LeFondre heads to India as reported.

Let's be frank here, any notion that Lachie should be kept as an 'impact' sub is nonsensical. Running at tired defenders isn't going to do squat when that sub can't cross, shoot, finish or track back when the ball is lost. Speed is useless if you can't find your balance to get the ball into scoring opportunity territory.

Looking at his stats it means he's attempted 61 crosses only of which 9 have been successful and from 20 shots only 7 have been on target. For a winger, an assist every 437 minutes IMHO does not warrant a starting spot, let alone to be used as an impact sub:
image.png.c0b4e530f232c4a0fcde75c86462e722.png

I'm sorry if you're reading this Lachie, there is a spot for you on the team list; you just need to put in some more work on getting the basics right before warranting selection on the matchday squad list.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

Let's be frank here, any notion that Lachie should be kept as an 'impact' sub is nonsensical. Running at tired defenders isn't going to do squat when that sub can't cross, shoot, finish or track back when the ball is lost. Speed is useless if you can't find your balance to get the ball into scoring opportunity territory.

Looking at his stats it means he's attempted 61 crosses only of which 9 have been successful and from 20 shots only 7 have been on target. For a winger, an assist every 437 minutes IMHO does not warrant a starting spot, let alone to be used as an impact sub:

I'm sorry if you're reading this Lachie, there is a spot for you on the team list; you just need to put in some more work on getting the basics right before warranting selection on the matchday squad list.

Who’s played better finals Wales or Noone?

1 hour ago, Red or Dead said:

Those stats are damning. How can't anyone justify keeping wales, even as a sub, when his return for the season has been a whopping 3 assists and zero goals over the course of 27 games as a forward?

He just doesn't have the key skills needed as a winger at a professional level, and at 22-23 he will not significantly develop any further as a player, he should be close to a finished product by now, yet he still makes the mistakes I'd expect from an 18-19 year old playing their first senior game with nerves.

I'd honestly take Fitzgerald or Kamau over Wales.

There is a reason the Mariners were paying him minimum wage and had no fuss letting him go.

Pretty damning when Joel King lasted 120minutes at LB last night and Lachie barely 75 minutes and looked flat when it came to defending.

It didn’t cost the game but surely Najjar or Najjarine would have been better suited to start, we at least know Najjar could create a goal for himself even if it’s not his suited position. 

Wales always looked the best coming on as a sub, and I shudder thinking back when Joyce played him as our striker. 

Wenzel Halls is not the option, he has a nice highlights reel, but he spends most games looking like a slightly upgraded version of Wales. 

If we go with 2 wingers again then a visa winger is only option unless someone like Leckie becomes available 

On 31/08/2020 at 12:33 PM, TJV said:

Those stats are damning. How can't anyone justify keeping wales, even as a sub, when his return for the season has been a whopping 3 assists and zero goals over the course of 27 games as a forward?

He just doesn't have the key skills needed as a winger at a professional level, and at 22-23 he will not significantly develop any further as a player, he should be close to a finished product by now, yet he still makes the mistakes I'd expect from an 18-19 year old playing their first senior game with nerves.

I'd honestly take Fitzgerald or Kamau over Wales.

There is a reason the Mariners were paying him minimum wage and had no fuss letting him go.

When you break it down like that it's pretty damn pathetic!! 27 games for 3 assists and zero goals as a winger is putrid.. It's something we have always struggled with to find a decent winger apart from Novillo..

Reminds me of when we had Robert Koren.. Scored a hatrick and we barley saw him again.. Such a waste..

5 minutes ago, heart1011 said:

When you break it down like that it's pretty damn pathetic!! 27 games for 3 assists and zero goals as a winger is putrid.. It's something we have always struggled with to find a decent winger apart from Novillo..

Reminds me of when we had Robert Koren.. Scored a hatrick and we barley saw him again.. Such a waste..

Leckie as marquee?