Melbourne Football

Lachlan Wales

IssySG

17 hours ago, neio said:

He needs to learn to slow himself down, he runs to quick for his brain and it makes him rush everything when alot of the time he doesn't need to

He also probably isn't a starter at this point of his career

Based on what I have heard, a slow walk would be too quick for his brain..

That being said I think (at this time) there is still a place for him in the squad. I don't mind having someone like him to sub on late in the game to just run at tiring full backs.

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Agree. I like him - well worth a contract IMO. Exciting player, just the sort you want for the last 25 minutes when the defence is tiring. Every time he gets the ball you know something is going to happen. He'll get better if we keep him and develop him further.

Optimistic. It does not matter that he can run into a tiring defence if he can't score. When he gets the ball I am confident that the ball will go directly at the opposition's goal and then the chance will be squandered. Can he develop? That is the question. And I am certain that the answer not much more, he is at his peak.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Optimistic. It does not matter that he can run into a tiring defence if he can't score. When he gets the ball I am confident that the ball will go directly at the opposition's goal and then the chance will be squandered. Can he develop? That is the question. And I am certain that the answer not much more, he is at his peak.

Agree with what you are saying.

We have players on 3 times his wage and facing similar issues, slower and with less drive - that’s where your problems derive from not this kid. He’s a bench player and will not always carry starting game responsibility. He’s been refreshing coming of the bench.

I wish this forum would be as critical on the senior players sometimes as they do with the kids.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Agree with what are saying.

We have players on 3 times his wage and facing the similar issues, slower and with less drive - that’s where your problems derive from not this kid. He’s a bench player and always carry this starting game responsibility. He’s been refreshing coming of the bench.

I wish this forum would be as critical on the senior players sometimes as they do with the kids.

Absolutely. Look at Berenguer - a so-called marquee player ambling about the field at half-pace and also can't put the ball in the net.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO the blowtorch should be applied first to the highly-paid players. They're the ones who should be stepping up every match, and especially in the key matches.

It's fair to criticise all players, but let's get our priorities right.

He doesn't hold the most responsibility for the loss. Just to make that clear.

However let's just talk about him though...

15 hours ago, Red or Dead said:

Yeah, this guy's got nothing bar some fancy stepovers! I'd take Kuzmanovski's stepovers any day!

After the Wellington match Colakovski should definitely start ahead of Wales!

I mean yeah it's easy to take a cheap shot a year and a half later with the power of retrospect, but at the time he signed on he seemed like a really good young prospect. Obviously it's panned out differently. 

43 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Wales' most effective position for us would be if he played for another overseas team

FTFY. 

It is almost guaranteed that if he went to another A League club he would somehow learn to shoot and becone one of the top 5 wingers in the league. For no reason other than that we got rid of him..

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, malloy said:

FTFY. 

It is almost guaranteed that if he went to another A League club he would somehow learn to shoot and becone one of the top 5 wingers in the league. For no reason other than that we got rid of him..

Not Sure about that he missed a Open goal from the centre of the box vs Sydney when he was at CCM

Wales has had 2 years to prove himself. I get the first season being lackluster but this is his third season and he has had easy opportunities to score and he misses almost every chance he has. He shouldn't even be on the bench, he should be in the NPL. This is the problem with the youth league, all these "potential" players are killing it against little 17 year old kids but why don't they put all these youth in the NPL and see how good they are. I ain't saying the NPL is good but what I am saying is if they can dominate in a state division then they are ready for the A-league and all these Aleague youth teams should properly be apart of the State leagues...or...help NPL teams out by signing players from there clubs if the players have shown to be dominating the State division season after season 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Wales has had 2 years to prove himself. I get the first season being lackluster but this is his third season and he has had easy opportunities to score and he misses almost every chance he has. He shouldn't even be on the bench, he should be in the NPL. This is the problem with the youth league, all these "potential" players are killing it against little 17 year old kids but why don't they put all these youth in the NPL and see how good they are. I ain't saying the NPL is good but what I am saying is if they can dominate in a state division then they are ready for the A-league and all these Aleague youth teams should properly be apart of the State leagues...or...help NPL teams out by signing players from there clubs if the players have shown to be dominating the State division season after season 

Our youth teams do play in the NPL setup. As for signing NPL players, my understanding is that quite a few don't want to become full-time professional footballers. They would rather do a real job during normal business hours and then train and play football for a decent sum on top of that. The latter will finish most likely by the age of 35, whereas their day job/trade/profession will likely last for all their working life.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Our youth teams do play in the NPL setup. As for signing NPL players, my understanding is that quite a few don't want to become full-time professional footballers. They would rather do a real job during normal business hours and then train and play football for a decent sum on top of that. The latter will finish most likely by the age of 35, whereas their day job/trade/profession will likely last for all their working life.

Of course they would. Lots of money to go around for them, given the way those clubs subsidise it by still charging juniors through the nose for the 'privilege' to play for an NPL club...

What i am saying is the whole youth league needs to be scrapped and they all should be playing for the A League clubs NPL team or like again help our local clubs by signing the young players if they constantly dominating the NPL. I'm not a guy to start going on about the NSL or NPL but look at a lot of our decent Socceroos we have had

Behich- started at green gully before Victory

Ivan Franjic- started at Melbourne Knights and St Albans 

Mile Jedinak- Sydney United then when A-league started he went to CCM

Matt Jurman- Sydney Olympic before Sydney FC

Matt Leckie- Bulleen Lions before Adelaide

Matt Ryan- Blacktown and Marconi before CCM

Tom Rogic- ACT club before CCM

There are many more too. Don't get me wrong there are some who did tryouts for a league clubs as a kid and they became decent players like Taggart as an example but they didn't play for a crappy youth league full of kids who generally don't make the cut and get booted out of the club once they are past 18. Scrap this youth league and let them play with the men in the NPL and see how they hold up  

This should probably be said in the Youth League thread but on the topic of Wales he isn't good enough for the A-league and we should have never got him in the first place because he did nothing at CCM. The kid should try to make a name for himself in the NPL including all the rest of the crappy youth players teams have mostly brought out from the crap youth team. I swear 1 in 50 youth league players r somewhat okay across the whole Aleague.

And if these players r generally becoming good like Arzani then they should stay in the Aleague and bloody prove themselves instead of getting big egos. Look at players like Mauk, Oar and Pasquale. They though they were hot shit without properly proving themselves here

Edited by xXCiTyZeNXx

As I saw with the ACL game last night (Sydney v Yokohama) we need to be picking technical players over athletic ones, players like Wales are the wrong direction to playing better football, as athleticism can be improved much easier than ball skills.

England has finally learnt this, about time we cottoned on to it as well.

• Like 4

Beyond Football is back again this week! Matt sits down one on one with Lachlan Wales,. Wales has had a tough 2019/2020 with trouble at an Olyroos camp seeing himself and others banned from the qualification decider as well as some tough runs of form for Melbourne City. Hear about how he bounces back from the tough times, the Olyroos qualification as well as his plans to rectify some form issues for City.

https://media.acast.com/…/beyondfootball-lachlanw…/media.mp3

I don't understand when people say moving away from home is tough, I moved out virtually on my 16th birthday (when I could get some government support), ended up finishing school, getting a job and buying a house when I was 22, I just don't understand it.

As I say someone needs to teach these kids the fuck off mentality, I was playing senior cricket at fourteen, I was facing their main fast bowler and hit him for some leg glances that went for fours. He obviously got pissed off this little kid was scoring off him and the next two balls were bouncers as fast as he could bowl, I said fuck you and stepped towards the ball, either I was going to hit it or it would give me a shiner, I ended up scoring two fours and two sixes in that over.

Another time I was put up in the batting order so wanted to play myself in, being cautious was terrible, it had me mentally thinking defensive and rather than naturally playing, I was trying to be to technical about it, sometimes you just have to back yourself and say fuck off.

Same in football (i usually played fullback) the worst games were when I tried to play within myself, when I said fuck you and took players on I ended up frustrating the opposition, or getting a goal or assist.

Yes he get's into good positions but he is probably thinking to much, he just needs that fuck off mentality and hit the thing. Not necessarily Wales, but in the A League there are so many shots that get skied, I think the mentality is the main thing causing this. Harper goes on about leaning back when striking the ball, but leaning back makes the ball dip, I learnt this at 12.

7 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Great interview with Lachie.

Having been shocked by the transformation of D’Agostino and to a lesser extent Blackwood this season, I do wonder if Wales has the same potential in him. 

D'Agostino: 38 Games, 1900 Mins, 22 Years Old

Blackwood: 73 Games,  5000 Mins, 22 Years Old

Wales: 54 Games, 3400 Mins, 22 Years Old

8 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Having been shocked by the transformation of D’Agostino and to a lesser extent Blackwood this season, I do wonder if Wales has the same potential in him. 

Blackwood and D’Agostino are streets ahead of Wales they have somewhat of end product.. He’s been given more than enough game time to prove himself and tbh he hasn’t. 

16 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Blackwood and D’Agostino are streets ahead of Wales they have somewhat of end product.. He’s been given more than enough game time to prove himself and tbh he hasn’t. 

2 months ago you wouldn’t have said that. Both  couldnt hit the side of barn from a metre away. 
That was my point 

48 minutes ago, haz said:

D'Agostino: 38 Games, 1900 Mins, 22 Years Old

Blackwood: 73 Games,  5000 Mins, 22 Years Old

Wales: 54 Games, 3400 Mins, 22 Years Old

So you agree with me then

9 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Was a good interview. He’s a likeable young man, which took me by surprise. For whatever reason I thought he was going to be a bit arrogant but he comes across a nice, humble, dedicated kid. 

Just on his ability, I think he’s worth persisting with. Maybe just one more season, to see if he can’t get his shooting right. I remember watching him in the 1v1 finishing warm up drill before the derby and he was able to smash quite a few in the corner (as well as missing a few). As he says, he needs to focus on remaining composed and slowing himself down before and when he strikes it.

3 hours ago, Le Hack said:

Also think worth giving another season even though very frustrating at times. I keep coming back to us changing the team too much every season as one of the reasons we lack that mental strength from comradery that comes from a stable team

Changing the players who will constitute the starting 11 is an issue. Moving on bench players for better bench players is not..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Le Hack said:

Also think worth giving another season even though very frustrating at times. I keep coming back to us changing the team too much every season as one of the reasons we lack that mental strength from comradery that comes from a stable team

Surely wouldn’t be an improved contract if he got one. Should be the same wage he gets which is around 70k

• 5 months later...