Melbourne Football

Welcome Riley McGree

mattyh001

25 minutes ago, Chris p said:

We've got our marquee wrong too many times to be an accident 

Agree. But it's not just us it League wide. 

A successful Marquee is more of an exception rather than a rule.

Basically we (as a league) can only really attract 35 plus known players or mid to late 20s unknowns. 

The actual title of Marquee needs to be changed if the truth be known.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jovan said:

Agree. But it's not just us it League wide. 

A successful Marquee is more of an exception rather than a rule.

Basically we (as a league) can only really attract 35 plus known players or mid to late 20s unknowns. 

The actual title of Marquee needs to be changed if the truth be known.

I may be wrong but I thought the original concept of a marquee player was someone who was a well-known player internationally and who was likely to put bums on seats and thereby grow public interest in our game. But whatever the original concept was was, over the seasons the concept has been diluted such that in nearly all cases marquee positions in squads are merely used to pay players outside the salary cap. I don't think any of City's marquees so far would come near the criterion of being well-known internationally. David Villa would be the only one and he was a guest rather than a marquee.

If every club can afford to pay outside the salary cap for the mediocre players that we now see then IMO why not just increase the salary cap, allow a couple of extra players in the squad, increase the number of visa players allowed, and forget the marquee concept? If one or more clubs come up with a guest player such as Villa or Del Piero then fine, but the League itself chasing some player or another and then trying to find a club to pay part of the cost is a concept that stinks in my view.

I'm not going to claim that I follow every jot and tittle of the international game, but as a lifelong football tragic if I have never heard of and have to go and look up the details of nearly every A-League "marquee" then what hope is there that that these "marquees" will be of any interest to the general public?

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I may be wrong but I thought the original concept of a marquee player was someone who was a well-known player internationally and who was likely to put bums on seats and thereby grow public interest in our game. But whatever the original concept was was, over the seasons the concept has been diluted such that in nearly all cases marquee positions in squads are merely used to pay players outside the salary cap. I don't think any of City's marquees so far would come near the criterion of being well-known internationally. David Villa would be the only one and he was a guest rather than a marquee.

If every club can afford to pay outside the salary cap for the mediocre players that we now see then IMO why not just increase the salary cap, allow a couple of extra players in the squad, increase the number of visa players allowed, and forget the marquee concept? If one or more clubs come up with a guest player such as Villa or Del Piero then fine, but the League itself chasing some player or another and then trying to find a club to pay part of the cost is a concept that stinks in my view.

I'm not going to claim that I follow every jot and tittle of the international game, but as a lifelong football tragic if I have never heard of and have to go and look up the details of nearly every A-League "marquee" then what hope is there that that these "marquees" will be of any interest to the general public?

You have a point. Basically, the original concept was done without considering how much money it would take to bring a known name and what the return would be. Whether lifting the salary cap would improve things I am not sure (why wouldn't existing squad players just get a pay rise?) but it is certainly worth trying.

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Getting a little off topic here