Melbourne Football

Welcome Riley McGree

mattyh001

Think he'll fill the Mauk role as tthe most advanced midfielder with the ability to chime in with goals.

Wazza doesn't seem to favour the flashy #10, so I can't see us using a Visa spot on on a hardworking ball winner to allow Brattan a bit more freedom. Then it'll all be up to Arzani as to what happens with the other marquee spot.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, n i k o said:

Hmmm. So a position v position comparison....I'd say he then has to be extremely influential in our team (like Mooy) and bag 8 goals to be up to the level of Bort

I rate him that highly (srs)

Our club always has a history of young players shining at our club. I see no reason that Riley can't do the same 

(I will probably wear egg on my face half-way through the season for that post but ah well lol)

3 hours ago, fiji19 said:

would a midfield 3 of McGree, Brattan and Caceres be to lightweight? 

It would be pretty creative and attacking, we would miss some of Ozzie's defence. It's something I would like to see, but it might not have the defense that Joyce seems to prefer.

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Lots of shouting and man love, maybe that's the missing ingredient?

5 hours ago, fiji19 said:

would a midfield 3 of McGree, Brattan and Caceres be to lightweight? 

Depends if all 3 are guranteed a starting spot, also if Caceras will fill the CAM spot or we will a marquee.

Also I think it comes down to the quality of our CB pairing to cover, we know Brattan is good at tackling, but doesnt have that 'Break-up' presence that Malik has.

17 minutes ago, haz said:

Depends if all 3 are guranteed a starting spot, also if Caceras will fill the CAM spot or we will a marquee.

Also I think it comes down to the quality of our CB pairing to cover, we know Brattan is good at tackling, but doesnt have that 'Break-up' presence that Malik has.

No one is guaranteed a starting spot.

3 minutes ago, haz said:

Depends on what lies were told when they signed their contracts

I strongly doubt anyone is ever given an iron clad guarantee on starting or anything else up to the manager. In saying that, im sure they discuss where the manager sees them playing, their place in the team etc but thats a different concept to guaranteeing anything. Joyce seems to me to be fairly consistent in his message of earning your spot, both in obtaining it and retaining it.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2018 at 5:00 PM, bt50 said:

Joyce seems to me to be fairly consistent in his message of earning your spot, both in obtaining it and retaining it.

Yeah and all he did last season was blame stupid player mistakes for our losses, and yet he continues with his mediocre droid recruitment rather than focusing on a key marquee signing.

We will see what transpires but if he doesn't get this right its going to be another season of the same. McGree is a waste IMO

47 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Yeah and all he did last season was blame stupid player mistakes for our losses, and yet he continues with his mediocre droid recruitment rather than focusing on a key marquee signing.

We will see what transpires but if he doesn't get this right its going to be another season of the same. McGree is a waste IMO

Ooh, that's a bit harsh. Yes, Joyce did make mistakes last season, but IMO recruitment so far has been around 80%. Unless we get someone better I am not enthusiastic about the loss of Michael Jakobsen (our captain, in case anyone had forgotten), and I'm not that enthusiastic about re-signing Malik. But IMO McGree, Wales, O'Halloran and Caceres are sound signings. I also think loaning out Genreau instead of selling him for peanuts is a good move.

As you say, we have to wait and see what happens from here.

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

Are you ever happy?

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Ooh, that's a bit harsh. Yes, Joyce did make mistakes last season, but IMO recruitment so far has been around 80%. Unless we get someone better I am not enthusiastic about the loss of Michael Jakobsen (our captain, in case anyone had forgotten), and I'm not that enthusiastic about re-signing Malik. But IMO McGree, Wales, O'Halloran and Caceres are sound signings. I also think loaning out Genreau instead of selling him for peanuts is a good move.

As you say, we have to wait and see what happens from here.

The only exciting signing is O'Halloran

however the marquee is the season winner signing and yes I agree with your view on Jacobsen, so therefore the 2 key signings are a Marquee and CB and neither are done with the pre-season started.

There is absolutely no improvement on last season's list, and there is a strong argument that it is worse as a whole with Wazza intentionally suppressing creativity, aka carusca, budinski and Brandan.

Unless the marquee and CB issue is fixed this season is going to be a joke,

25 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I find it interesting that in the offseason @playmaker is at his most negative and hard to please but during the season he is probably the most optimistic and positive almost complete opposite to me and maybe many others.

Just being realist.

Don't you think not replacing Jacobson and not having a Marquee is an error and will cost us another season?

IMO a Marquee is the key, just look at Sydney and Victory which have constantly had strong match-winning marquees. Doesn't that say something about the recipe of success at this level.

So I would say I am justified in my apprehension about our recruitment at this stage and given Wazza's decisions last season (as in my previous post), I am very concerned.

And for the record, last season my optimism declined rapidly when I saw that our marquee wasn't being played, which history shows was a huge mistake and which Wazza is fully responsible.

Edited by playmaker

6 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Just being realist.

Don't you think not replacing Jacobson and not having a Marquee is an error and will cost us another season?

IMO a Marquee is the key, just look at Sydney and Victory which have constantly had strong match-winning marquees. Doesn't that say something about the recipe of success at this level.

So I would say I am justified in my apprehension about our recruitment at this stage and given Wazza's decisions last season (as in my previous post), I am very concerned.

And for the record, last season my optimism declined rapidly when I saw that our marquee wasn't being played, which history shows was a huge mistake and which Wazza is fully responsible.

Jeez, take it easy. We've just started pre-season. Overseas contracts only expired 2 weeks ago, and the biggest sporting event in the world is still on. We'll get our signings

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, haz said:

Jeez, take it easy. We've just started pre-season. Overseas contracts only expired 2 weeks ago, and the biggest sporting event in the world is still on. We'll get our signings

Also to this pint we only need to make 4-5 signings so we are pretty well placed. Other years we’d need to sign 7-10 players 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Missing_Moy said:

Also to this pint we only need to make 4-5 signings so we are pretty well placed. Other years we’d need to sign 7-10 players 

Yep and pretty much out of those 4-5 only 2 are "important", VISA and VISA/Marquee.

I do hope these signings are made earlier in the pre-season and I hope our marquee wont be someone to put bums on seat.

(Honda plsssss)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

we just hope we dont sign another marquee like Budzinski, disappointment

I dont know what happened behind the scenes but from memory the 1st choice pulled out, I think Budzik was the 3rd choice