Melbourne Football

Michael O'Halloran

BearsOnTour

8 hours ago, DukeVader said:

If its true hes cracked it and left, the club cant seriously think its because MOH is in the wrong. Joyce has already forced Cahill, Killkenny, Brandan, Bruno n probably a few others ive missed out the door. Theres a common denominator here

Brandan, Jakobsen, something odd about Berenguer, Budzinski, Kamau, Fitzgerald, Colazo, i think you can add Zullo to the list, La Rocca has been frozen out, Griffiths is another and finally Birighitti who was the best keeper in the league a few years ago :blink:

Edited by AntiScum

8 hours ago, DukeVader said:

If its true hes cracked it and left, the club cant seriously think its because MOH is in the wrong. Joyce has already forced Cahill, Killkenny, Brandan, Bruno n probably a few others ive missed out the door. Theres a common denominator here

35 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

Brandan, Jakobsen, something odd about Berenguer, Budzinski, Kamau, Fitzgerald, Colazo, i think you can add Zullo to the list, La Rocca has been frozen out, Griffiths is another and finally Birighitti who was the best keeper in the league a few years ago :blink:

I don't think you should include some of those names - for example Kamau and Fitzgerald were given every chance, and La Rocca and Croissant are still here. Colazo was only here for a one-year loan.

Of those IMO we can definitely list as "fallings-out," IMO Cahill was a special case - he spoke out publicly and had to go. However, it's fair to say the list must include Kilkenny, Brandan, Bruno, Budzinski, Jakobsen and Carrusca.

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think you should include some of those names - for example Kamau and Fitzgerald were given every chance, and La Rocca and Croissant are still here. Colazo was only here for a one-year loan.

Of those IMO we can definitely list as "fallings-out," IMO Cahill was a special case - he spoke out publicly and had to go. However, it's fair to say the list must include Kilkenny, Brandan, Bruno, Budzinski, Jakobsen and Carrusca.

Love how the list is mainly all VISA players. Joyce should freeze himself out

Im not saying this isn't all Joyce fault

But is it possible there is a bit of sooky sooky La La about MOH, injured for 10 weeks, doesn't start for 3 (which I think is justified) and now is off.  The 2 games he didn't come on in there were circumstances why he didn't, and the one game he did come on, I don't think he really did anything out of the ordinary. If he has thrown a tantrum cause he isn't in the 11 then I have no problem with him packing his bags. He hasn't done anything to deserve a spot yet 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, neio said:

Im not saying this isn't all Joyce fault

But is it possible there is a bit of sooky sooky La La about MOH, injured for 10 weeks, doesn't start for 3 (which I think is justified) and now is off.  The 2 games he didn't come on in there were circumstances why he didn't, and the one game he did come on, I don't think he really did anything out of the ordinary. If he has thrown a tantrum cause he isn't in the 11 then I have no problem with him packing his bags. He hasn't done anything to deserve a spot yet 

My inclination is to believe that Joyce and the club have been on the 'right' side of the argument in most if not all of the player falling outs, however Joyce's inability to manage the situation and minimise its fallout has been extremely poor.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bt50 said:

My inclination is to believe that Joyce and the club have been on the 'right' side of the argument in most if not all of the player falling outs, however Joyce's inability to manage the situation and minimise its fallout has been extremely poor.

And you add to that the silence from the club - perhaps not even the silence but the "carry on as if nothing has happened" when clearly something significant has happened, especially with Bruno - and IMO that's a large part of the current situation. Even the Baccus situation annoys me - if we have signed him to a permanent deal, then why not announce it and deliver some "good news"? 

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

And you add to that the silence from the club - perhaps not even the silence but the "carry on as if nothing has happened" when clearly something significant has happened, especially with Bruno - and IMO that's a large part of the current situation. Even the Baccus situation annoys me - if we have signed him to a permanent deal, then why not announce it and deliver some "good news"? 

I'd suggest a Baccus announcement is probably imminent, they might be waiting on something to finalize.
Look re the player fallouts you're kinda damned if you do damned if you don't. If the club comes out and hammers the player publicly it looks both unprofessional, and perhaps damaged you're ability to recruit going forward because it looks like you are prepared to throw your players under the bus to save face. It can also raise discussion points re blame on the club about the calibre of person they recruit etc.
My guess is the CFG policy of saying nothing intentionally leaves everything vague so it makes everything guesswork and difficult to back up an opinion. Obv that has its negative connotations too because we all end up frustrated and not knowing whats going on, but i guess right or wrong CFG feel its the lesser of the two evils.

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I always admire how open the AFL clubs are about their players or injury issues, everything is mostly openly addressed with the fans and press.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I always admire how open the AFL clubs are about their players or injury issues, everything is mostly openly addressed with the fans and press.

It's the complete opposite to this club isn't it. 

Anything happens in the AFL, a rookie gets promoted, a young guy plays well in the VFL, someone has a slight niggle, anything happens it gets reported pretty much straight away. Super open about most things, the only things they keep somewhat hidden are off field stuff (understandably) and sometimes players under an injury clouds availability that week (and even then as soon as the team is announced we all find out everything). Sure it is part a very interested and large media core and part the AFL desperately trying to be in the news every single day, but you cannot deny that AFL supporters know almost everything around their club that is happening, often directly from the club as it happens.  

Compare that to City who go months without acknowledging or announcing a players injury (La Rocca), almost a week now without announcing Baccus signing on permanently (despite it being good news, they haven't got anything on the website and the only reason we know is because Joyce said so in a press conference), censor the Bruno images so as not to incite us(?) and release squads for each weeks games which have no relevance really seeing as there have been multiple inclusions not on the squad list. Theres more but they are the first thing sI thought of. This from a club that prides itself on engaging with its supporters.

The gap in engagement and communication is huge. 

• Like 4

Not sure why Melbourne City is being compared to the AFL in general. If that's the case compare the AFL to the Aleague. 

The clubs handling of issues around the club have been the biggest issues rather than the particular player/coach issues themselves. In saying that the issues we've had are bothering supporters. What successful club can have so many fallouts in one season that's only 11 rounds in? 

Edited by n i k o

10 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Not sure why Melbourne City is being compared to the AFL in general. If that's the case compare the AFL to the Aleague. 

The clubs handling of issues around the club have been the biggest issues rather than the particular player/coach issues themselves. In saying that the issues we've had are bothering supporters. What successful club can have so many fallouts in one season that's only 11 rounds in? 

I read it as a comparison of AFL clubs and Melbourne City?

IMO you're quite right - the issue is how Melbourne City handles its club/supporter relationship, not about personal relationships inside the club itself. That is what is pissing supporters off - and it's not just those of us on the Forum. 

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Joyce 'might' be right in each separate case.

The the problem I have is when you put it together big picture; Joyce has managed to piss off / get offside of several senior players, some of have had very obvious success as key players elsewhere (Jakobsen, Kilkenny, possibly Franjic as he left early days of Joyce coming in iirc) where others have returned overseas (Colazo, Brandan, budzinski) where it's harder to tell the general level / performance of their regular game time.

If you think of any work place, if a manager / boss is losing staff (particularly senior staff) for things that aren't sackable, then there's something up with the boss.

Kilkenny himself is an interesting one as he never spoke out publicly while at City, and said after leaving he got sick of the bullshit / lack of transparency from Joyce. The fact Kilkenny is smashing it at Perth gives weight to the idea that the difference between him and Joyce was more in the difference of opinion. 

This says to me Joyce doesn't know how to manage these relationships, leaving some culpability at his feet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

Joyce 'might' be right in each separate case.

The the problem I have is when you put it together big picture; Joyce has managed to piss off / get offside of several senior players, some of have had very obvious success as key players elsewhere (Jakobsen, Kilkenny, possibly Franjic as he left early days of Joyce coming in iirc) where others have returned overseas (Colazo, Brandan, budzinski) where it's harder to tell the general level / performance of their regular game time.

If you think of any work place, if a manager / boss is losing staff (particularly senior staff) for things that aren't sackable, then there's something up with the boss.

Kilkenny himself is an interesting one as he never spoke out publicly while at City, and said after leaving he got sick of the bullshit / lack of transparency from Joyce. The fact Kilkenny is smashing it at Perth gives weight to the idea that the difference between him and Joyce was more in the difference of opinion. 

This says to me Joyce doesn't know how to manage these relationships, leaving some culpability at his feet.

The other interpretation is that these senior players did not actually sign on to the new broom that Joyce was brought in to be. Remember, our Chairman Mubarak in his annual "State of CFG Interview" in 2017 made it quite clear that the Group was not happy with Melbourne City in season 2016/17. That's why we have a manager such as Joyce is.

Also, may I say that I worked in several workplaces where there was plenty of deadwood sitting in corner offices with pleasant views over the city skyline, drinking plenty of coffee whilst using the phone and photocopier for its personal use, and it certainly was not the new boss' who was the problem when that deadwood was given the chop.

None of this means I think that Joyce or the club has necessarily done the right thing, but we do need to be open to alternative explanations.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The other interpretation is that these senior players did not actually sign on to the new broom that Joyce was brought in to be. Remember, our Chairman Mubarak in his annual "State of CFG Interview" in 2017 made it quite clear that the Group was not happy with Melbourne City in season 2016/17. That's why we have a manager such as Joyce is.

Also, may I say that I worked in several workplaces where there was plenty of deadwood sitting in corner offices with pleasant views over the city skyline, drinking plenty of coffee whilst using the phone and photocopier for its personal use, and it certainly was not the new boss' who was the problem when that deadwood was given the chop.

None of this means I think that Joyce or the club has necessarily done the right thing, but we do need to be open to alternative explanations.

But alternative explanations have not been forthcoming from the club or anyone for that matter so i can understand the frustration of myself and others .

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

A new manager when he takes the reigns cleans out the deadwood. He does not then go out and hire more deadwood to clean out. But as someone stated elsewhere the city group may be doing the hiring of the visa players and not Joyce.

11 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

A new manager when he takes the reigns cleans out the deadwood. He does not then go out and hire more deadwood to clean out. But as someone stated elsewhere the city group may be doing the hiring of the visa players and not Joyce.

It was explained through an article about Fornaroli a few years ago. Basically get a bunch of candidates together and the manage makes the decision. Sometimes that has been different but its really only for non  Visa type players (Delbridge)

23 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

If from the start the club comes out and says "LaRocca is battling an ankle injury and is out for 3 months", or "Bruno has been dropped for disciplinary reasons", or "With the departure of Caceres the club has now signed Baccus to a permanent contract", or "O'Halloran is now fit and eligible for selection", instead of us finding this out 2-6 weeks after it happens it would make being a supporter much easier. And those are all easy issues to explain, nothing which gives the opposition the edge and nothing that breaches any kind of privacy. Atm the club releases stuff all information so either we have to wait for a commentator to tell us a tiny bit of gossip during the next match or otherwise wait until someone talks to some random hairdresser to find out so and so has hurt his shoulder and is out for 3 weeks.

Nicely put. And it's not exactly rocket science, is it? Just simple and effective.

7 minutes ago, Chris p said:

The AFL talks about injuries a lot because there's nothing else to talk about, football is global and so there's always something happening and injury talk flies under-the-radar a bit 

Complete cop out bullshit reason.

I don't think anybody demands the world with Melbourne City, just be a bit more transparent with the fans about the going on's with the club.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Agree and think that we're mostly on the same page, although I would make the point players like Kilkenny and Jakobsen were hardly deadwood. 

Personally, I don't see how the team is any better overall this season compared to last - given Joyce is in his second season (having had two preseasons too btw) I think he's had more than enough time to set the scene.  If players don't have the buy in at this point (ie skin folds) 18 months in, Joyce has to question how he could manage buy in better than just fucking the player off at the first point of disagreement

• Like 1

I actually think that release of jakobsen was the right choice, the 2 seasons he was here he missed large chunks of season with injury. And Delbridge has shown to be a very solid replacement in starting 11

I feel like I'm backing up Joyce here but some of the players that has been said that has been forced out I don't see as completely his fault. 

Cahill I think any manager with any backbone would have done the exact same thing after the way he carried on. Especially when he wasn't here half the time on socceroos duty the start of last season

Kilkenny and brandan I'll admit we're peculiar, and definitely looked to be a Joyce problem 

Carrusca was injured 90% of the time he was here

Budzinski was strange, but overall I don't think he had the work rate on the pitch and we all wanted him released anyway 

Bruno is a complete Joyce issue

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, neio said:

I actually think that release of jakobsen was the right choice, the 2 seasons he was here he missed large chunks of season with injury. And Delbridge has shown to be a very solid replacement in starting 11

I feel like I'm backing up Joyce here but some of the players that has been said that has been forced out I don't see as completely his fault. 

Cahill I think any manager with any backbone would have done the exact same thing after the way he carried on. Especially when he wasn't here half the time on socceroos duty the start of last season

Kilkenny and brandan I'll admit we're peculiar, and definitely looked to be a Joyce problem 

Carrusca was injured 90% of the time he was here

Budzinski was strange, but overall I don't think he had the work rate on the pitch and we all wanted him released anyway 

Bruno is a complete Joyce issue

I suspect Brandan was a strategic move to free a visa space for McCormack. It all fell apart when Villa pulled the plug at the last minute. 

• Like 1

City’s Scottish winger Michael O’Halloran has also been released from his contract due to homesickness – a hamstring injury resigned the ex-Rangers man made just one A-League appearance, as a late sub in the recent Melbourne derby – opening up another spot for attacking reinforcements.

David Davutovic - Herald-Sun. See @bt50's post in "Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation."

"City’s Scottish winger Michael O’Halloran has also been released from his contract due to homesickness"

What a load of Bollocks whose eyes are they trying to pull the over and what are they hiding. He was happy in Melbourne surrounded by family and enjoying his stay. 

Homesickness that lets Joyce off the hook 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

"City’s Scottish winger Michael O’Halloran has also been released from his contract due to homesickness"

What a load of Bollocks whose eyes are they trying to pull the over and what are they hiding. He was happy in Melbourne surrounded by family and enjoying his stay. 

Something is very odd about his whole stay at City. Was told he was right to go a long time before the 10 week injury came about, and had an extended break due to Baccus being bought in.

On 1/7/2019 at 9:48 AM, jw1739 said:

I agree to an extent but there was a run of games where Fitzgerald did great, as for Kamau well fair point, La Rocca makes little sense as his injuries are baffling one minute his injured then next his playing in the under 21s. Croissant well not sure why we signed him.  Colazo was also a strange one as he had the option to stay but was phased out Wazza style.

1 hour ago, haz said:

3 lines given by the club confirming MOH's departure in a statement that wasn't directly about him.

says it all really!!

Scottish news papers picked up the story this morning. They are reporting from his agent the reason for his departure as he was" unsettled". Nothing so far to say what unsettled him. If a confidentiality clause was written the truth may never come out. 

His agent stated so far 2 SPFL clubs have expressed an interest to sign him and he expects more enquiries. SPFL clubs are on a winter break.

Still reckon he sooked up and threw a tantrum and left. 

The other players Wazza had a problem with didn't get on the team sheet at all, let alone after missing 8 weeks with injury and then getting some gametime

I'm sure Wazza didn't rate him as highly as he rated himself and he didn't like it. Probably came down here thinking he would be a starter and when that wasn't the case he threw in the towel 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, neio said:

Still reckon he sooked up and threw a tantrum and left. 

The other players Wazza had a problem with didn't get on the team sheet at all, let alone after missing 8 weeks with injury and then getting some gametime

I'm sure Wazza didn't rate him as highly as he rated himself and he didn't like it. Probably came down here thinking he would be a starter and when that wasn't the case he threw in the towel 

I just don't think that's true. Joyce certainly rated him back in June when the signing was announced.

"Head Coach Warren Joyce said:  “Michael brings a wealth of experience from a number of clubs, including one of the biggest in Europe. He’s a very exciting player to watch - he has pace to burn and is capable of creating and scoring goals. He will bring excitement to the pitch. I still remember watching him at Bolton Wanderers where he played in the same youth team as Aaron Mooy.”

Michael O’Halloran said. “I’m coming with high hopes to play my part in a team that I feel are really going places, I’m here to improve the team, and to play my part to try and win the league, which is our first and foremost aim, and also to win the Asian Champions League.” “Aaron Mooy is one of my closest friends in football, he told me it was brilliant — a great club, great place, great people and a great opportunity for me.”

But really, it doesn't matter now. MO'H isn't the first, and won't be the last of good visa players who, for whatever reason, wasn't a success in the A-League. As long as the club is learning from all this (???) then we move on.

21 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I just don't think that's true. Joyce certainly rated him back in June when the signing was announced.

"Head Coach Warren Joyce said:  “Michael brings a wealth of experience from a number of clubs, including one of the biggest in Europe. He’s a very exciting player to watch - he has pace to burn and is capable of creating and scoring goals. He will bring excitement to the pitch. I still remember watching him at Bolton Wanderers where he played in the same youth team as Aaron Mooy.”

Michael O’Halloran said. “I’m coming with high hopes to play my part in a team that I feel are really going places, I’m here to improve the team, and to play my part to try and win the league, which is our first and foremost aim, and also to win the Asian Champions League.” “Aaron Mooy is one of my closest friends in football, he told me it was brilliant — a great club, great place, great people and a great opportunity for me.”

But really, it doesn't matter now. MO'H isn't the first, and won't be the last of good visa players who, for whatever reason, wasn't a success in the A-League. As long as the club is learning from all this (???) then we move on.

The big question for me is "Are the club learning anything from this" as this has happened before and we still make the same mistake . There is an old saying that" Those who do not learn from their mistakes will continue to make the same mistakes"

10 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

The big question for me is "Are the club learning anything from this" as this has happened before and we still make the same mistake . There is an old saying that" Those who do not learn from their mistakes will continue to make the same mistakes"

The evidence of the past few years tells us that they haven't learned. Other teams, particularly the visit0rs & smurfs, don't have this problem as regularly as we appear to

On 07/01/2019 at 8:44 PM, Inchcolm said:

Joyceitis.

who wouldn’t be frustrated when they aren’t even given a chance to prove themselves.

What annoys me is that MOH looked like a real weapon in his cup cameo (on the wing) yet after that our genius manager wouldn’t give him another opportunity. When we finally saw him in the league it was out of position. 

Why would you fuck around here in Melbourne when you could walk into a starting role in teams in Scotland?

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Joyceitis.

who wouldn’t be frustrated when they aren’t even given a chance to prove themselves.

What annoys me is that MOH looked like a real weapon in his cup cameo (on the wing) yet after that our genius manager wouldn’t give him another opportunity. When we finally saw him in the league it was out of position. 

Why would you fuck around here in Melbourne when you could walk into a starting role in teams in Scotland?

When you look back on some of these goings-on you can't help but shake your head in disbelief. How could we get it so wrong?

IMO players and agents are going to be wary of Melbourne City if this sort of thing keeps happening.

• Like 1

Just now, jw1739 said:

When you look back on some of these goings-on you can't help but shake your head in disbelief. How could we get it so wrong?

IMO players and agents are going to be wary of Melbourne City if this sort of thing keeps happening.

It’s so bizarre isn’t it? If MOH isn’t your cup of tea why bloody sign him? It’s not like you can say the bloke I saw in training wasn’t the same in matches

• Like 2