Melbourne Football

Michael O'Halloran

BearsOnTour

49 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

Where’s the announcement boys ? He not going to the WC anyways so what’s holding back ? 

[face-palm] The news breaks unofficially at 3am on the Saturday of a public holiday weekend, and on the evening of said public holiday you ask where the announcement is? CFG are known for taking their time on these things anyway, but they are also unlikely to be doing it whilst they're not in the office and everyone is looking the other way at the World Cup... 

• Like 1

Hi,

I am a St Johnstone fan that lives in Cyprus.

Heard the news you may be getting Michael O'Halloran. If you do you are very fortunate. He was one of St Johnstones outstanding players. He was part of the team that won us the Scottish cup for the first time in our history and to 3rd in the league.  I was luck to be at the final.

He is a right winger with blistering pace and is more of a goal creator, although he scores his fair share.

In my opinion he did not fit in at Rangers because of religion and his father is a coach at Celtic. Rangers loss is your gain.

Edited by Inchcolm
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

Hi,

Heard the news you may be getting Michael O'Halloran. If you do you are very fortunate. He was one of St Johnstones outstanding players. He was part of the team that won us the Scottish cup for the first time in our history and to 3rd in the league.  I was luck to be at the final.

He is a right winger with blistering pace and is more of a goal creator, although he scores his fair share.

In my opinion he did not fit in at Rangers because of religion and his father is a coach at Celtic. Rangers loss is your gain.

Cheers Mr O'Halloran :up:

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Inchcolm said:

Hi,

Great to know. We weren't at all sure what to expect but this sounds promising. 

In the Scottish Sun on line paper. Looks like he turned us down probably due to his salary.

"Michael O'Halloran set to complete the move to Melbourne City in the next 48 hours. St Johnstone and Motherwell were keen to land the winger but it seems he has opted for a new start in Australia." 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2775745/rangers-michael-ohalloran-melbourne-city-next-48-hours/

25 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

In the Scottish Sun on line paper. Looks like he turned us down probably due to his salary.

"Michael O'Halloran set to complete the move to Melbourne City in the next 48 hours. St Johnstone and Motherwell were keen to land the winger but it seems he has opted for a new start in Australia." 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2775745/rangers-michael-ohalloran-melbourne-city-next-48-hours/

Hoping this guy will be a gun. We know hes fast and strong, but how good is his technical skills?

44 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Nice signing, I think.

Wouldn't have a clue about this guy apart from that it looks as though he has decent ball control and burst of speed, and he can't be any worse than Kamau or Fitzgerald that's for sure.

Hopefully he turns out to be a Novillo-type player.

Welcome.

This.

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

Nice signing, I think.

Wouldn't have a clue about this guy apart from that it looks as though he has decent ball control and burst of speed, and he can't be any worse than Kamau or Fitzgerald that's for sure.

Hopefully he turns out to be a Novillo-type player.

Welcome.

X Cited

2 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Welcome Michael!

I hope he is the visa player we've been looking for. 

Our wide players are Arzani, O'Halloran and Vidosic. Not bad at all. 

Maybe another forward as depth but our forward line is looking strong. 

Yup. A CB, an 8 and a 10 are the spots we need to fill (assuming we retain Brattan and dismiss Bud) and we still have three visa spots and a marquee open. Side shaping nicely.

Bouzanis

Atkinson   Bart        Visa       Jamieson

Brattan       Visa

Marquee Visa

Arzani           Fornaroli         O'Halloran

SUBS : Galekovic   Vidosic  Delbridge/La Rocca  Najaarine   Genreau

Delianov, Delbridge/La Rocca, Najjar, Pierias (going?)

1 hour ago, GreenSeater said:

Huge call considering our history with visa players...

But just the amount of butthurt Rangers fans commenting on his signing on social media makes us getting him worth it

To be fair, the lesser known VISA signings we've made have been more hit than miss since CFG took over IMO. It's the marquees and higher profile ones where we've fluffed the most.

4 hours ago, bt50 said:

Yup. A CB, an 8 and a 10 are the spots we need to fill (assuming we retain Brattan and dismiss Bud) and we still have three visa spots and a marquee open. Side shaping nicely.

Bouzanis

Atkinson   Bart        Visa       Jamieson

Brattan       Visa

Marquee Visa

Arzani           Fornaroli         O'Halloran

SUBS : Galekovic   Vidosic  Delbridge/La Rocca  Najaarine   Genreau

Delianov, Delbridge/La Rocca, Najjar, Pierias (going?)

With a decent Marquee CAM (Adrian???), that is such a delicous squad

• Like 1

For someone who is apparently a 'good dribbler' his highlights package doesn't show a lot of dribbling. He doesn't seem to beat many players with raw pace either, more that he starts his run before the defenders do (which is a skill in itself).

Anyway, to my untrained eye he looks an average technician but he makes decent runs off the ball and seems to have a good awareness of his teammates. I don't have particularly high hopes but I guess we'll see.

25 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

For someone who is apparently a 'good dribbler' his highlights package doesn't show a lot of dribbling. He doesn't seem to beat many players with raw pace either, more that he starts his run before the defenders do (which is a skill in itself).

Anyway, to my untrained eye he looks an average technician but he makes decent runs off the ball and seems to have a good awareness of his teammates. I don't have particularly high hopes but I guess we'll see.

Well in that case we need someone who can spot his runs and make the pass, only Arzani and Brattan would be close

O'Halloran should do really well in Australian football, I think he suits the A-League perfectly. Very quick and direct. 

Melbourne is a nice move for him at this stage of his career, especially with the fallout from his time at the other mob across the city. That move was always nothing more than a huge pay rise he couldn't turn down, I get it, but it has stalled his career. Hopefully he hits the ground running, I expect him to surprise a few next season.

I feel pretty comfortable with this signing. It's good to see Joyce doing the spruiking rather than Petrillo. I'm also pleased that it looks like O'Halloran is here for the full pre-season, which is a bonus.

With a visa right winger on the books, I wonder if this will now see City cash in on an Arzani transfer to Manchester or elsewhere in Europe?

36 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I feel pretty comfortable with this signing. It's good to see Joyce doing the spruiking rather than Petrillo. I'm also pleased that it looks like O'Halloran is here for the full pre-season, which is a bonus.

With a visa right winger on the books, I wonder if this will now see City cash in on an Arzani transfer to Manchester or elsewhere in Europe?

This is what im worried about. Was Vidosic on a 1 or 2 year contract?

I think the decision will come from CFG, not Arzani himself. Unless Arzani scores a hatrick in the WC, I doubt CGF will want to cash him in. I think its more a case of them wanting him to play agaisnt higher quality opposition, because only after half a season the HAL defenders were peasants to him.

Edited by haz

4 minutes ago, haz said:

This is what im worried about. Was Vidosic on a 1 or 2 year contract?

I think the decision will come from CFG, not Arzani himself. Unless Arzani scores a hatrick in the WC, I doubt CGF will want to cash him in. I think its more a case of them wanting him to play agaisnt higher quality opposition, because only after half a season the HAL defenders were peasants to him.

Vidosic - contract until 31st May 2019.

Can't really fit all of O'Halloran, Vidosic, Arzani and Fornaroli. 

A 4-3-3 means that one will miss out, most likely Vidosic. I don't think he will play in the midfield. Needs to be a natural 10 and, most importantly, marquee quality. 

Releasing Budzinski opens up the marquee spot for a proper marquee 10. 

Just now, Harrison said:

A 4-3-3 means that one will miss out, most likely Vidosic. I don't think he will play in the midfield. Needs to be a natural 10 and, most importantly, marquee quality. 

I think we still recruit a genuine 10 (Honda pls) and then basically play the in form 4 from there. Dario in particular can play all 4 of the spots competently and so even if there is an injury or suspension in the group we have good cover in all spots. The one that comes off the bench when all 5 are available, which imo will be less often than not in the nature of football, plays 30 min-ish every week as a super sub.

3 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Interesting to see how the appointment of his dad to the coaching structure affects things.