Melbourne Football

World Cup Thread

moops

12 minutes ago, haz said:

I don't know how to feel

Optimistic against the remaining games. I feel this is a more disciplined, intellegent and structured team compared to the postecoglou era. 

I reckon leckie or kruse should have been subbed off around the 70-75th minute. They looked really exhausted 

also, a sunday league player can cross a better ball than risdon

Edited by Young Polak

A disciplined display from the Socceroos, unlucky to concede the second goal. Definite penalty to France, even if unlucky for Risdon: he touched the ball that ricocheted off Griezman's foot, the Risdon's leg caught his trailing leg and fouled him. The game was decided by cms. Good to see Arzani on, hopefully, he gets longer now.

Our luck, this time VAR worked:(

58 minutes ago, Young Polak said:

Havent seen this much diving in a long time

Not since the gold medal performance by Grosso

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

A disciplined display from the Socceroos, unlucky to concede the second goal. Definite penalty to France, even if unlucky for Risdon: he touched the ball that ricocheted off Griezman's foot, the Risdon's leg caught his trailing leg and fouled him. The game was decided by cms. Good to see Arzani on, hopefully, he gets longer now.

Our luck, this time VAR worked:(

If that's the official line by Fifa then that's bullshit.  Got the ball first, nothing dangerous in the challenge.  Basically means you can't tackle.

Very 50/50 situation, which means you go with the on field ref decision (has to be obvious error).

FWIW I would say the same about backing the on field ref if it had gone against us initially.

>>>>

Thought we did well, and is reflected in the frustration at the result.  Would have taken a 2-1 loss at the start, and thought we push them harder than most would have believed we would have beforehand

Hopefully the boys use it as fuel for the fire.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

If that's the official line by Fifa then that's bullshit.  Got the ball first, nothing dangerous in the challenge.  Basically means you can't tackle.

Very 50/50 situation, which means you go with the on field ref decision (has to be obvious error).

FWIW I would say the same about backing the on field ref if it had gone against us initially.

>>>>

Thought we did well, and is reflected in the frustration at the result.  Would have taken a 2-1 loss at the start, and thought we push them harder than most would have believed we would have beforehand

Hopefully the boys use it as fuel for the fire.

Watch what happens after Risdon touches the ball, it ricochets off Griezman's leg so he's had the last touch, then Risdon's leg catches his trailing leg - foul

15 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Watch what happens after Risdon touches the ball, it ricochets off Griezman's leg so he's had the last touch, then Risdon's leg c bunatches his trailing leg - foul

Given the tackles been made in the one action, who touches last is not necessarily that relevant. The rules look at the recklessness and carelessness of the tackler (that is to say when contact is made with the ball when the tackle has been applied and not who touches last).

There are also so many instances where the tackled player has a late-second swing / heavy touch you can say possession has been lost in the tackle, and that body contact is unavoidable / not the be all end all of the situation.

If anything last night Griezeman's last night was super heavy, implying that Risdon had made enough contact on the ball with his tackle to cause Griezeman to loss control over the ball. 

To punish players for body contact after winning the ball for me means the game is trying to get rid of the tackle

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

My take on the pen is that I'm ok with the ref calling it, but imo theres no way thats a clear and obvious error to be overturned either way. I think the VAR overstepped its jurisdiction. 

I agree with that. Overall the match went the way I expected it to go, but on the day we gave as good as we got and France didn't look like world-beaters at all. "In my day" and before VAR plenty of refs would have waved play on even for France's second, because the ball couldn't have crossed the line by more than an inch. On the first replay I saw it was not clear that it had. So, stiff result for us. I would still like to throw VAR into the bin, but I know it won't happen.

IMO the challenge for Australian football is what it always has been  - improve the technical skills of the players so that we can be more creative going forwards.

1 hour ago, Tony999 said:

Pity all that will go to shit when Arnie comes in. And there will be no VAR to help him.

Don't know about that, Arnie knows the current system quite well so I have faith that he will continue the current style. In the post match interview Van Marwijk basically said when he got the team it was a mess, if you get a chance listen to it as it is pretty revealing and confirms that what Ange was doing was junk and how he has great respect for the Australian players.

As for the penalty, well, it could have called either way but I am more than comfortable with it being called a penalty. I have no issue with Risdon because if he didn't attempt a tackle it was surely a goal anyway.

I am so proud of the team and after watching the Denmark v Peru I think we have a great chance of winning both games due to their defences being so much weaker than France's.

France should beat both teams easily and if we play like we did last night we should win both our remaining games.

2 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

Given the tackles been made in the one action, who touches last is not necessarily that relevant. The rules look at the recklessness and carelessness of the tackler (that is to say when contact is made with the ball when the tackle has been applied and not who touches last).

There are also so many instances where the tackled player has a late-second swing / heavy touch you can say possession has been lost in the tackle, and that body contact is unavoidable / not the be all end all of the situation.

If anything last night Griezeman's last night was super heavy, implying that Risdon had made enough contact on the ball with his tackle to cause Griezeman to loss control over the ball. 

To punish players for body contact after winning the ball for me means the game is trying to get rid of the tackle

Reasonable comments, my comment was just that there was a foul committed after the ball was touched by Griezman but was it a 'clear and obvious error' by the on-field ref? Probably not. VAR should be there to review for 'clear and obvious errors', not to re-referee the game

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

Yes. Body contact in itself is not foul play.

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Don't know about that, Arnie knows the current system quite well so I have faith that he will continue the current style. In the post match interview Van Marwijk basically said when he got the team it was a mess, if you get a chance listen to it as it is pretty revealing and confirms that what Ange was doing was junk and how he has great respect for the Australian players.

As for the penalty, well, it could have called either way but I am more than comfortable with it being called a penalty. I have no issue with Risdon because if he didn't attempt a tackle it was surely a goal anyway.

I am so proud of the team and after watching the Denmark v Peru I think we have a great chance of winning both games due to their defences being so much weaker than France's.

France should beat both teams easily and if we play like we did last night we should win both our remaining games.

I think France would want to top the group as they play the winners/runners up from the unofficially labelled "Group of Death".

In terms of Ange, to me he was always shithouse so no further comment required there. Arnie, well we all know how shithouse his team was in the Asian Champions League.Have zero faith in him leading the Socceroos..

Next.

France’s Hernandez Cleared To Play Next Game Despite Sustaining 11 Separate Concussions
By The Shovel on June 17, 2018
 hernandez france
In what has been described as a miracle recovery, France’s Lucas Hernandez will line up against Peru next week despite suffering from 11 concussions and a broken leg in the game against Australia.Hernandez – who also sustained a spinal injury in the second half – bravely played out the game against Australia even though he broke his leg in the 11th minute, and was frequently concussed.“It’s amazing how he gets these quite serious injuries game after game, but then seems to recover. It’s so brave,” one observer said.Doctors are concerned for Hernandez’s safety should he come up against serious physical contact in the next game. “If he is actually pushed or elbowed, there are concerns he might die,” one medical professional said.

http://www.theshovel.com.au/2018/06/17/frances-hernandez-cleared-to-play-next-game-despite-sustaining-11-separate-concussions/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am on the fence with Rogic but to his defence he was manned up by Kante who is arguably the best DM in the world, not to mention Umtiti and Pogba also covering the space. 

I would say he will get a bit more freedom with Denmark and Peru where the opposition around him are far less talented.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I am on the fence with Rogic but to his defence he was manned up by Kante who is arguably the best DM in the world, not to mention Umtiti and Pogba also covering the space. 

I would say he will get a bit more freedom with Denmark and Peru where the opposition around him are far less talented.

Nice mate a sensible comment!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Probably the only tactical mistake we made was having him out there too long. But as they say- 70% of the earth is covered in water, the rest is covered by Kante. 

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Agree, Rogic offers little in international level games. He's a star in the SPL but he's stayed there for a good reason

Or perhaps (as I see it) because he plays in the SPL/NPL he is shocked when he comes up against quality opposition and doesn’t know what to do about it.

i agree he was our weak link.

38 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I agree that Rogic was up against a pretty formidable midfield trio but he's not been much better against Syria

Just like the SPL, he only performs against Minnows (which is the entire SPL! Sorry rangers)

Blaming any player is easier with hindsight, and would like to know how we / who would have played it better had Rogic not started.

Rogic was there to tuck in when defending, sit in hole / help semi press on half way and transition when attacking. @thisphantomfortress is right he was probably right that he was out there 5-10 mins maybe to long, but then the question becomes is to what degree did Irvine benefit from being fresh against opposition that were tiring after actually starting?

For me, each player did well. Circumstances led to a result less than deserved

11 hours ago, haz said:

Football could introduce a "pink cards" system. When match reviews show players to be diving, issue a "pink card" and suspend the players on a certain number of accumulated cards. And make them wear a pink armband for the rest of the season  to show the world what they are. Diving is a blight on the game. The way this guy went down holding his head when the contact - if any - had been to his back disgusted me.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1