Melbourne Football

World Cup Thread

moops

I never knew that there was a rule change that the defender will not get a red card from a tackle to deny a clear goal scoring opportunity as in the case with the denmark-croatia game. Only a red card if it was outside the box. Red Card + Free kick so I have been told

Although I was aware this was changed for the goalkeeper to not receive a red, just a yellow and a penalty.

Edited by Young Polak
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Young Polak said:

I never knew that there was a rule change that the defender will not get a red card from a tackle to deny a clear goal scoring opportunity as in the case with the denmark-croatia game. Only a red card if it was outside the box. Red Card + Free kick so I have been told

Although I was aware this was changed for the goalkeeper to not receive a red, just a yellow and a penalty.

New one on me too. Is it just for the WC, or generally?

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

New one on me too. Is it just for the WC, or generally?

Has been around since 2016. Its called something weird

EDIT: its called DOGSO

Edited by haz

Yeh its been around for at least 1 a league season. Essentially you can still be given a red card, but it has to be either a normal red card challenge, or a cynical foul. If its a 'footballing challenge' gone amiss, then the penalty is deemed sufficient.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Yeah commentators call it double jeapody. Ie the punishment of a pen and yellow is two punishments etc Or something like that

I think they should introduce "reverso jeopardy" in paticular when the player is clearly going to score, the fouling player doesn't get a red initially as stated earlier but the penalty is missed then the ref should give the original fouler a second yellow and send him anyway. 

It was just weird not being sent off and missing the pen made it even worse. Had Denmark won the shootout that could have been the biggest robbery in ages.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, recyclosaurusrex said:

Should introduce a rule that if a player needs/receives treatment of any kind during the match then they must spend 2 minutes on the sidelines. So frustrating watching players feign injury to run the clock down.

Like a sin bin, should force them to man the fuck up

7 hours ago, recyclosaurusrex said:

Should introduce a rule that if a player needs/receives treatment of any kind during the match then they must spend 2 minutes on the sidelines. So frustrating watching players feign injury to run the clock down.

I'm an advocate of this although imo its 5 minutes off. Can be instantly subbed though if an actual injury has occurred.

• Like 4

Basically the better team won. Either side will lose to France but making a semi is big achievement. 

England was super lucky with their run, that is they avoided any traditional big team, but of the 4 semi finalists they were probably 4th best. 

It's Frances to lose but Croatia have enough quality to make it very interesting. 

• Like 1

Kane might have the most punchable face and voice in the history of humans. Kinda looks like a 17th century child molester with that fkn disgusting nose of his. 

Ref looked like the geeky kid from school who was too shit to play so he reffed games at lunch time. Got his arse kicked afterwards but always returned coz it beats suicide. 

Croatia have 3/4 players that look like the victims of some sort of nuclear melt down. Heads shaped like the last handful of watermelons at footscray market. Well done to them.

My prediction for the final...  Fuck france. Bunch of nancy boys and African immigrants. Croatians fuck women, eat cabbage and control their borders, thats a winning formula for me.

So thats my world cup wrap. Cheers guys.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

As an England fan, well done Croatia. We could have won it in the first half, but we didn't take our chances. Croatia came out a different team in the second half, worked hard, played as a team, got their tactics right, and took their chances. And they didn't try to win by kicking lumps out of us or throwing themselves to the floor. Croatia did it the right way, so credit and good luck to them. Fully understand how much it means to their supporters. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

As an England fan, well done Croatia. We could have won it in the first half, but we didn't take our chances. Croatia came out a different team in the second half, worked hard, played as a team, got their tactics right, and took their chances. And they didn't try to win by kicking lumps out of us or throwing themselves to the floor. Croatia did it the right way, so credit and good luck to them. Fully understand how much it means to their supporters. 

Sure does mean a lot. As Craig Foster said, everything's up to shit in Croatia with all the corruptions, EU and politics so football was our only saving grace.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Bit miffed to how people are arguing it wasn’t a pen. Seems to me like Peresic has a brain fade and forgot there was VAR

Yeah I wonder what  other country has a overwhelming majority of players from immigrant backgrounds 

Depends how far back you want to go, doesn't it? Go a couple of generations and I'd say Australia might lead the pack...

It's very obvious for France because of its colonial history in Africa but I think you'll find the same issue for many countries.

The ones that annoy me are those countries who it seems have deliberately imported footballers of international quality.

However, overall I don't see any way of avoiding what's happening. You either accept people into your country or you don't. 

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Depends how far back you want to go, doesn't it? Go a couple of generations and I'd say Australia might lead the pack...

It's very obvious for France because of its colonial history in Africa but I think you'll find the same issue for many countries.

The ones that annoy me are those countries who it seems have deliberately imported footballers of international quality.

However, overall I don't see any way of avoiding what's happening. You either accept people into your country or you don't. 

You’re going to love Qatar’s squad in 4 years

Oh and the nature of Australia’s immigrant past is a source of great strength and pride

Croatia are probably in a small minority of European nations who don't have a substantially multicultural soccer playing base and international squad. England, Belgium and France do, likewise Germany and the Netherlands. It simply reflects their societies. Like Australia, it is surely a source of strength, and a unifying force. In Australia, Croatian heritage Australians are part of that diversity. Indeed, given the number and strength of Croatian heritage clubs and players, its a very important part of Australian soccer's strength and diversity. So having a crack at the French squad for being overly diverse is a bit rich... 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

Personally I don't think we're diverse enough. I want Ugandan born Japanese midgets winning the Homeless Solar System Cup representing Jupiter by 2054.

An Art Major graduate somewhere in the world who identifies as gender-fluid just creamed themselves reading this

Edited by haz
  • Haha 1