Melbourne Football

World Cup Thread

moops

Slightly off-topic but was anyone at The Imperial on Saturday night?

I'd never been for anything football related but went along with a few mates. 

All three levels were packed. Great atmosphere.

Highly recommend going for the next Socceroos match if you've never been before. 

DropusRort are absolutely disgraceful cunts. Cheaped out on bandwidth it seems trying to cash in on the millions of people paying the $15. I've got the fetch box with NBN so I got no issues, however just on principle I wont be using their services again. I'm cancelling my month to month Mobile plan with them, it sucks anyway.

12 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

DropusRort are absolutely disgraceful cunts. Cheaped out on bandwidth it seems trying to cash in on the millions of people paying the $15. I've got the fetch box with NBN so I got no issues, however just on principle I wont be using their services again. I'm cancelling my month to month Mobile plan with them, it sucks anyway.

Thats the worst insulty pun name ive ever seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

Pink cards. Come on @jw1739. Leave the game as it is. 

That is my argument against the introduction of the VAR...It's suppose to resolve contentious decisions, but it doesn't.

Maybe pink cards aren't a good idea, but when a WC player boasts that he's a diver - which means he's a self-confessed cheat - then IMO some form of penalty needs to be applied, both to him and his team.

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That is my argument against the introduction of the VAR...It's suppose to resolve contentious decisions, but it doesn't.

Maybe pink cards aren't a good idea, but when a WC player boasts that he's a diver - which means he's a self-confessed cheat - then IMO some form of penalty needs to be applied, both to him and his team.

Firing squad

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I mostly agree with you. I think that the VAR is a failure and should be discarded. However a post match review is warranted and for diving offences (and maybe a few others) the process should be one written warning (akin to when a ref warns a player), followed by a yellow and then another yellow earning the player a red card. No need to introduce any other colours. The cards would carry across all competitions. If a team has a culture of simulation then the manager would also get yellow cards as it's the manager's responsibility to stamp out that behaviour.

I probably think post match review needs to be a straight 3 game ban for dives. No cards or warnings.

I do however want to emphasise that doesnt include 'accentuating contact' when afoul is made because you'd never be able to rule a line through it. Pure contactless dives though, have a 3 game holiday.

10 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I probably think post match review needs to be a straight 3 game ban for dives. No cards or warnings.

I do however want to emphasise that doesnt include 'accentuating contact' when afoul is made because you'd never be able to rule a line through it. Pure contactless dives though, have a 3 game holiday.

I think they need to just start handing out cards for 'accentuating contact'. Still a foul, still a free kick, but also a yellow to the foulee.

The play-acting and milking fouls has been so rampant and made this World Cup pretty average so far. I'm not even saying this from a cultural perspective where Australians typically despise cheats, but more-so from a viewing perspective as every game has been riddled with players opting to feign contact rather than continue playing forward and as a result, creating a stop-start scenario and completely ruining the spectacle. 

Portugal vs Spain and Germany vs Mexico have been the only decent matches so far, been really disappointed with the standard otherwise. Hopefully it improves as the tournament progresses.

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Really loved the energy shown by Morocco last night. Tough result for them.

Yeah had to feel for them, probably should've had a pen when Fonte cleaned up their striker.

Amrabat looked great too. Someone we should perhaps keep an eye on as his European career winds down

Edited by Embee

1 hour ago, Young Polak said:

I'm scared at the fact that France and Denmark may be happy to settle for a draw

or will they both try to avoid Argentina if they top their group?

The problem is that France are through, so I think they'll play slack, even if they want to avoid a hard oppenent. Whereas Denmark still havnt qualified so they'll be playing with more intensity.

Since France have the better team, I can see it evening out to a draw

I knew that when they said unchanged line up that the best we could hope was for a draw. Rogic played better than against France but I rather have Luongo or Irvine on the pitch, at least they are not lazy. I was uncertain about whether to start Kruse to tire the opposition players and then bring on Arzani but now Arzani should just start as he has better ball skills, timing and is creative. I am not a fan of Juric because for me he always fails to deliver on a consistent basis for the Socceroos so I would have brought on Maclaren instead. Pity about Nabbout's injury as he is a tireless worker up front but we do need more than what he has given the team so I would definitely start Maclaren against Peru.

It is a possibility that Australia could get out of teh group stage but that would mean that France will be playing to win and do win; and that teh Socceroos score enough against Peru to have a better goal difference than Denmark.

18 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Kruse did little but I'm not sure if Daniel can play 90. Furthermore, what is the point of bringing on Kruse at 75 minutes?

Peru are gone. Who knows what sort of frame of mind they'll be in, but if we can score early it will only give Peru less motivation to go hard. So it's imperative we get on the front foot from the start and attack like crazy. Kruse isn't the player for this scenario. Actually, he isn't a player for any scenario - just fuk off please.

Hopefully France can then get the job done against Denmark. They should - I don't buy the fact they'll cruise because they're already in. They haven't been impressive so far and they'll want to really tune up for the finals.