Melbourne Football

What needs to be done to grow the support and attendance

Dylan

2 hours ago, haz said:

Why do we even care about attendance?

Because it reflects how attractive the club is to the public. Based on an "attendance to population" ratio we are the least attractive club in the league and IMO the thread is a genuine effort to think how the club might improve things. It's not a lot of fun being in a thin audience at any sort of entertainment. 

Just a question. How long is it since the players came down to the Yarra End at the end of a match and acknowledged the fans, or even gave them a wave?

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Because it reflects how attractive the club is to the public. Based on an "attendance to population" ratio we are the least attractive club in the league and IMO the thread is a genuine effort to think how the club might improve things. It's not a lot of fun being in a thin audience at any sort of entertainment. 

Just a question. How long is it since the players came down to the Yarra End at the end of a match and acknowledged the fans, or even gave them a wave?

Why do we care about how attractive the club is to the public? I look at WSW and think 'ew'. But they have won the ACL and premierships

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Because if it isn't, ultimately it will fold.

Every club is a franchise. We'll just get passed on to the next person. We could end up in Alice Springs wearing pink polka dots. I just find it hard to care about attendances in a ten-team franchise league

9 minutes ago, haz said:

Every club is a franchise. We'll just get passed on to the next person. We could end up in Alice Springs wearing pink polka dots. I just find it hard to care about attendances in a ten-team franchise league

But then it won't be my club any more. To be my club it needs to be in Melbourne, and to do that it needs a crowd. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

But then it won't be my club any more. To be my club it needs to be in Melbourne, and to do that it needs a crowd. 

Thats my point, a club can move(or change) with a signiture and a handshake.

Edited by haz

7 hours ago, haz said:

Thats my point, a club can move(or change) with a signiture and a handshake.

No it isn't. Your point was "Why do people care about the size of the crowd?" My point, and that of others, is that if we don't get a crowd in Melbourne then ultimately the club will be irrelevant in Melbourne and will cease to continue in its present form. And I don't want that to happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

No it isn't. Your point was "Why do people care about the size of the crowd?" My point, and that of others, is that if we don't get a crowd in Melbourne then ultimately the club will be irrelevant in Melbourne and will cease to continue in its present form. And I don't want that to happen. 

Also there are a series of Melbourne Based A-League bids who could take City's place... as I posted in another topic I have always thought I second club in Melbourne would have more of chance with broad demographic in its name like: Western/Eastern or even better a larger demographic like South-East or North-West.

Whats happening now is not working in the same way Heart didn't.. attendances are poor and they atmosphere at games it has be said is not exactly at a high point and that is not a dig at all at those working tirelessly to assist the club in that way, but a reflection on the FFA restrictions on Active Support and the club itself inability to attract fans by providing people with a reason to support them.

6 hours ago, cadete said:

not a dig at all at those working tirelessly to assist the club in that way, but a reflection on the FFA restrictions on Active Support and the club itself inability to attract fans by providing people with a reason to support them.

That's a cop out.  The reason we haven't grown our membership is because of the tard's ongoing success. 

Guaranteed if we had more success and our people in power identified the REAL ISSUE,  then we would be in a much better position.

The reality is that no one cares about the w league,  youth, or sideshow junk they do, but they do care about winning,  or to put it another way,  to give people a reason to support City rather than Victory.

And this is the truth,  and is a firm reflection of the incompetence of our management.

Munn and Petrllo are junk.

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

'Why do people care about the size of the crowd?' --> 'a club can move(or change) with a signiture and a handshake'

No one wants it to happen. But having a 50k crowd or a 50 person crowd, the whole franchise can easily move.

On 16/11/2018 at 7:23 PM, haz said:

'Why do people care about the size of the crowd?' --> 'a club can move(or change) with a signiture and a handshake'

No one wants it to happen. But having a 50k crowd or a 50 person crowd, the whole franchise can easily move.

Your initial point was silly, and now you are making it worse.

A 50K crowd in our league would never move. I dont care who you are. 

Our crowds, in this city with the alternatives banging the door down mean that without CFG, the club as a going concern is in serious doubt.

Edited by CityHeart

21 hours ago, AXIOM said:

Its all relative and connected .....shit crowds....shit performances....shit administration....shit coach........ Not in that order but......

exactly - everything needs to be forensically reviewed.

Shit crowds - lethargic atmosphere, lethargic/inconsistent  performances etc. Is it a surprise our best efforts seem to be against Victory? Nothing can be ruled out and nor should it.

Take another one - we should review Bundoora as a location for a training base. Do our players who chose to come to Melbourne, one of the great cities in the world then have to travel to/from Bundoora every day like it? Sure, you may accept a huge european club having a training base in the outskirts as those mega stars want to be away from the people. Not sure that is the case in our league. St Kilda moving their training base to Frankston nearly destroyed the club and they "quickly" fixed this if you believe reports.

Fact is, players who leave us seem to be better, if not 'less shit' the second they depart. There is something wrong here and it has to start with Munn as a minimum. 

17 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

Your initial point was silly, and now you are making it worse.

A 50K crowd in our league would never move. I dont care who you are. 

Our crowds, in this city with the alternatives banging the door down mean that without CFG, the club as a going concern is in serious doubt.

This is when I wish I was rich. So I could simply buy the club and move it to prove my point.

12 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

exactly - everything needs to be forensically reviewed.

Shit crowds - lethargic atmosphere, lethargic/inconsistent  performances etc. Is it a surprise our best efforts seem to be against Victory? Nothing can be ruled out and nor should it.

Take another one - we should review Bundoora as a location for a training base. Do our players who chose to come to Melbourne, one of the great cities in the world then have to travel to/from Bundoora every day like it? Sure, you may accept a huge european club having a training base in the outskirts as those mega stars want to be away from the people. Not sure that is the case in our league. St Kilda moving their training base to Frankston nearly destroyed the club and they "quickly" fixed this if you believe reports.

Fact is, players who leave us seem to be better, if not 'less shit' the second they depart. There is something wrong here and it has to start with Munn as a minimum. 

So your saying that training at Bundoora is a reason why we have been lacking success. 

And players that leave us are instantly less shit 

Finally the underlying cause of all this is Munn.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

So your saying that training at Bundoora is a reason why we have been lacking success. 

And players that leave us are instantly less shit 

Finally the underlying cause of all this is Munn.

I feel like there is some merit to the second point (albeit on more realistic timeframe), though I am not sure whether it is actually true or just bitterness and observer bias on my behalf. 

On 17/11/2018 at 9:51 AM, AXIOM said:

Its all relative and connected .....shit crowds....shit performances....shit administration....shit coach........ Not in that order but......

It’s so simple and logic - the correct order is:

bad administration -> youth coach -> underwelming performances = disappointing crowds

I guess any of this is the FFA’s fault.

8 hours ago, malloy said:

I feel like there is some merit to the second point (albeit on more realistic timeframe), though I am not sure whether it is actually true or just bitterness and observer bias on my behalf. 

There's quite a few example of players that came here and got better too ie Mooy, Bouzanis, Behich, Jaliens, Velaphi off the top of my head. I tend to think its mostly down to negativity bias that is inherent in humans in general, but there's no doubt been a few players that seem to have done better out of the City spotlight.

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

It’s so simple and logic - the correct order is:

bad administration -> youth coach -> underwelming performances = disappointing crowds

I guess any of this is the FFA’s fault.

We've had disappointing crowds since the club was formed. The only reason is because we are literally just a clone of Victory with different colours that started after all the supporters in Melbourne had already joined a team.

You can give Victory supporters all the shit you want, but kudos to them for not switching teams. How would you feel if say Team 11 get formed, and then 20% of our members go join them?

2 hours ago, haz said:

We've had disappointing crowds since the club was formed. The only reason is because we are literally just a clone of Victory with different colours that started after all the supporters in Melbourne had already joined a team.

You can give Victory supporters all the shit you want, but kudos to them for not switching teams. How would you feel if say Team 11 get formed, and then 20% of our members go join them?

I think we will lose a significant amount of fans to another Melbourne franchise - I don’t understand why the FFA can’t see this as the same will happen to Sydney FC. (To promote football, Canberra and Tasmania are well due for a club and sport exposure).

You are right about the Victory fans but it’s easier to remain loyal to successful teams which heart/city are clearly not.

7 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I think we will lose a significant amount of fans to another Melbourne franchise - I don’t understand why the FFA can’t see this as the same will happen to Sydney FC. (To promote football, Canberra and Tasmania are well due for a club and sport exposure).

You are right about the Victory fans but it’s easier to remain loyal to successful teams which heart/city are clearly not.

Ill prety much repeat myself from earlier in this thread..... In the end I couldnt give two shits if we have attendance of 200 or 20,000. Im just happy that this is my team, and that we can win trophies

3 hours ago, haz said:

Ill prety much repeat myself from earlier in this thread..... In the end I couldnt give two shits if we have attendance of 200 or 20,000. Im just happy that this is my team, and that we can win trophies

I see what you are saying but hear me out.

So what if in the future it will matter very much that we have 20k in the stands? Winning throphies might depend on this.

Remember we want to be independent. In the future and in other leagues having fans in the stands comes with more revenue in sales of tickets, merchandise and sponsors. This will ultimately lead to better players on the pitch.

Edited by Mr MO

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I see what you are saying but hear me out.

So what if in the future it will matter very much that we have 20k in the stands? Winning throphies might depend on this.

Remember we want to be independent. In the future and in other leagues having fans in the stands comes with more revenue in sales of tickets, merchandise and sponsors. This will ultimately lead to better players on the pitch.

Independent league or independent from CFG?

14 hours ago, haz said:

Agree with what Mr Mo says. Victory have established themselves as a team that succeeds or is in there trying. Melbourne Heart, and now particularly, City, have never demonstrated this attitude.

I would suggest that as soon as another Melbourne team come along there will be a lot more than 20% leaving to join them.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

IMO whatever members we lose with the introduction of a new Melbourne team, and i dont think that it will be that many, it will be more than offset by casual fans returning more regularly with new interest in a new rivalry.

Surely anyone that wasn't totally committed would have already left, we're down to the rusted on diehards

• Like 2

9 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Surely anyone that wasn't totally committed would have already left, we're down to the rusted on diehards

Generally speaking yes, we are. But i dont think many fans ever really truly get off, they just lose interest. The new rivalry, as well as a new interstate team as well might be enough to stoke those embers again. It's up to the club to build the embers back into a roaring flame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Generally speaking yes, we are. But i dont think many fans ever really truly get off, they just lose interest. The new rivalry, as well as a new interstate team as well might be enough to stoke those embers again. It's up to the club to build the embers back into a roaring flame.

Absolutely. ping @morphine ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, citypool said:

Not sure if I already posted it but in January with the Australian open when people are walking past we should be getting more foot traffic out direction 

Dont know why we try and make a partnership with the AUS Open. 'When you purchase a ticket you also get entry to Melbourne City's game against NAME on DATE'.

Buying a more premium ticket at the open will get you a more premium seat at the game.

2 hours ago, haz said:

Dont know why we try and make a partnership with the AUS Open. 'When you purchase a ticket you also get entry to Melbourne City's game against NAME on DATE'.

Buying a more premium ticket at the open will get you a more premium seat at the game.

Because TA would rather those people stay at the NTC and buy $10 beers and $8 meat pies whilst watching the night session matches in the beer garden than come across to our game. Won't happen. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Because TA would rather those people stay at the NTC and buy $10 beers and $8 meat pies whilst watching the night session matches in the beer garden than come across to our game. Won't happen. 

Exactly. Zero incentive on TA's behalf, esp as they are sold out generally anyway.

Now us having a show your Tennis ticket to get a free/discounted ticket to our game is a different prospect, but imo history has shown that free ticket offers dont usually attract many more theatre-goers unless the product has some hype about it to start with. If we are in form and near the top of the table come late January, you might find it gets a few more bums on seats. Otherwise fageddabout it.

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Exactly. Zero incentive on TA's behalf, esp as they are sold out generally anyway.

Now us having a show your Tennis ticket to get a free/discounted ticket to our game is a different prospect, but imo history has shown that free ticket offers dont usually attract many more theatre-goers unless the product has some hype about it to start with. If we are in form and near the top of the table come late January, you might find it gets a few more bums on seats. Otherwise fageddabout it.

Fair enough. Never been to a tennis game in my life so dont know much about the AUS Open

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

The only way that could work is if the discount applies to day session ticket holders. That's assuming TA has blindly not looked at their own self interest in this, which would be basically zero (as in they get minimal to nothing out of such a deal). But let's imagine that we could strike a deal with TA in some sort of bizarro one way 'cross promotion' deal, then yes perhaps we could offer cheaper tickets for tennis fans ticket holders. 

The name of this thread needs a change. Not grow, but sustain.

Situation is dire at CFG now.

We have had too many low points. Too many rebuilds. Too many failures. 

No new fans will be attracted to the club in its current set up. No success will be had with it either. I know, deep down, the players morale is low. When you coach youth, or you coach a team where 2 games a week is the norm and starting 11 dynamics change is common place then competition for spots is generally healthy. But when we have not played and do not play often, and the best XI is available, you need to play.

Clearly Warran has not chosen his best XI. I rate Wales, from the wing. I rate Berengeur, but not up front to be targetted. I rate Atkinson, not as wing but RB or RWB. I rate Baccus, but he played poorly lastnight. We are not talking about world class players who can play in multiple positions. We are looking at people who have applied their trade in their preferred positions - often youth who have done well at those positions. I hate this notion that a gauge of a good team is that anyone can be put in positions and do a job on the day. This is not fielding in cricket - every position on the field takes years and refined practice and expertise to craft out a certain skill set and develop the necessary mindset to understand that position. When players are expected to change roles week in week out, and are  not developing their craft, then we are always going to play poor football. Yes perhaps possession might be gained, but I think this indicates only that we do have good players who can pass and sustain the ball with those around them. However, the lack of goals is the most striking of concerns because if we have good players (which I believe we do) and we are not threatening where it matters most then the system we are expecting players to play is not getting the best out of them.

Best XI is not the team which can hold the ball. It is the team that can do the most with it whenever you have the ball. Fornaroli should have never been dropped, and Wales never should have been played in his position.

Whatever happens at training is not an indication of what will happen on game day. I agree that people need to fight for their position, but when morale is this low you are going to train dejected. We are not on top of the ladder. We are not one of the better teams. We have not had a winning run. We need to try for consistency and start building our season but beginning with morale. 

Joyce is a fuckhead.

The funniest part about Munn is being an AFL employee, and his 'achievement' was putting together the 'bid' to bring the Gold Coast Suns to fruition.

A club that has basically done everything wrong from the second it was incorporated, and if it wasn't for the AFL's insistence to keep that market, the club would not have survived as long as Gold Coast united. 

Utterly out of his depth - and the club listens to this bloke!

When will he be heard from next? Not a "CEO's"  ar$ehole.

• Like 2