Melbourne Football

What needs to be done to grow the support and attendance

Dylan

Seriously cannot believe my eyes this morning.

The Arzani loan to Celtic gets confirmed yesterday evening. This is the most exciting AUSTRALIAN player in years, the future of our country. Reports popping up everywhere in Europe about it.

Our biggest newspaper, especially for sport, does not have a single article or mention of it this morning (well if it has, I didn't see it). Nor is it on their online app.

I can see pages of AFL and articles about 70yr old ex players not well though.

And we ask ourselves how attendances and support can improve.

Fukn disgraceful Herald Sun, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Absolutely furious in all honesty.

31 minutes ago, rass said:

The Arzani loan to Celtic gets confirmed yesterday evening. This is the most exciting AUSTRALIAN player in years, the future of our country. Reports popping up everywhere in Europe about it.

Our biggest newspaper, especially for sport, does not have a single article or mention of it this morning (well if it has, I didn't see it). Nor is it on their online app.

Herald Sun is a Murdoch rag. Only useful for lining cat litter trays. 

1 hour ago, rass said:

Try the online edition. Yesterday’s story:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/socceroos-starlet-daniel-arzani-joins-celtic-on-twoyear-loan-deal-from-manchester-city/news-story/f61d6ae87bf00e5b4c00719c968e96d9

I heard the print version was only for old fogeys :tooth:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rass said:

You get a fair idea of where things stand with respect to actual decent football and decent football players when you see the fucking circus surrounding Usain Bolt and Central Coast Mariners. Just symptomatic of the way the public thinks these days. Gimmickry over quality. Sensationalism over fact. 30-second media grab over the long-term.

Sad.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rass said:

This genuinely surprises me. How long have you lived in this state? 

8 minutes ago, rass said:

Still, does it make it all OK to just accept things will always be this way?

I don't accept it as being ok. Never have. But they will be this way for a bit longer until football in this country gets its shit together. Then through youI generations growing up hopefully it will change. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Newspapers will be dead within ten years, Digital media should be the focus of footballs marketing. It's the future and it's suits our sports younger demographics 

I don't disagree with you.

But in this current day, they're still relevant. Just shows how far behind the real football is in this city.

19 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Newspapers will be dead within ten years, Digital media should be the focus of footballs marketing. It's the future and it's suits our sports younger demographics 

That changes the preferred medium, but not the balance of what is carried by that medium. And I think you're over-simplifying the demographics. Look around the crowd at a football match and you'll see plenty of "older" people.

@n i k o is right. The imbalance will continue until football gets its house in order and starts setting the agenda rather than reacting to someone else's.

Much of what needs to be done is under our own control. I'm now in the habit of checking out New York City's web-site after they've played a match. They just pump the information out - highlights replays, fixtures, reports on injured players, management opinions etc. etc. - they really go out to grab your attention. Compare the sterile shit that comes out of FFA and its clubs. https://www.nycfc.com/

And I'll just add that I'm certainly not what you'd call "young."

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That changes the preferred medium, but not the balance of what is carried by that medium. And I think you're over-simplifying the demographics. Look around the crowd at a football match and you'll see plenty of "older" people.

@n i k o is right. The imbalance will continue until football gets its house in order and starts setting the agenda rather than reacting to someone else's.

Much of what needs to be done is under our own control. I'm now in the habit of checking out New York City's web-site after they've played a match. They just pump the information out - highlights replays, fixtures, reports on injured players, management opinions etc. etc. - they really go out to grab your attention. Compare the sterile shit that comes out of FFA and its clubs. https://www.nycfc.com/

This is another thing that i was referring to in my post last week we as so call;ed fans do not get Jack-shit news about anything football whether it be club or country form either the FFA or our club.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Digital media in other words... 

2 hours ago, rass said:

I don't disagree with you.

But in this current day, they're still relevant. Just shows how far behind the real football is in this city.

We're really not that far behind, The media just creates a false reality 

2 hours ago, Chris p said:

Digital media in other words... 

We're really not that far behind, The media just creates a false reality 

Disagree. 

We are decades behind. And the way I see things soccer in this city and country will always be regarded marginal.

If you ever needed an example of how winning brings people to games, look at this simple stat - Richmond Memberships 2017 and 2018:

2017 75,777
2018 100,718

Winning also has the added advantage of Asian Champions League, which clearly is a better incentive to sign and retain better players. 

If you haven't accepted that fact that CFG's investment is to create the "Australian Youth Football Factory", it begs a question what you've been doing for the last 3 years. You can only take it in your stride. 

Somewhat left field, but drop the price of beer in the stadium. I know this won't happen, but I could invite 4 or 5 mates to a cheap(er) piss up in the Active Section, you never know how many blokes will want to come back for another game. Being pissed in the stands provides the best footballing memories, which is why I think so many people regard Adelaide away as the A-League's greatest away trip.

30 minutes ago, biancorosso7 said:

If you ever needed an example of how winning brings people to games, look at this simple stat - Richmond Memberships 2017 and 2018:

2017 75,777
2018 100,718

Winning also has the added advantage of Asian Champions League, which clearly is a better incentive to sign and retain better players. 

If you haven't accepted that fact that CFG's investment is to create the "Australian Youth Football Factory", it begs a question what you've been doing for the last 3 years. You can only take it in your stride. 

Somewhat left field, but drop the price of beer in the stadium. I know this won't happen, but I could invite 4 or 5 mates to a cheap(er) piss up in the Active Section, you never know how many blokes will want to come back for another game. Being pissed in the stands provides the best footballing memories, which is why I think so many people regard Adelaide away as the A-League's greatest away trip.

If you go back though this thread and others, even back to the Heart days, there have been many ideas put forward as incentives to encourage people to join up as members and get attached to the club. The club has tried one or two and still does - for example, each season there are "limited match memberships" announced - so many matches for such-and-such a cost - and these are ludicrously cheap as "introductory offers." I also know that the club has been prepared to make changes to memberships, for example what happens when a "child" in a family membership reaches 16. And each season we do get two free GA tickets per membership, which are redeemable at any home league match except a derby. There have also been ticket giveaways, but I don't recall any one of these having any measurable impact on attendance whatsoever.

That said, our memberships, certainly at the top end, are amongst the most expensive in the league. 

However, I don't think that the price of food and drink at the stadium is within the club's control - even if we wanted to reduce the cost to patrons IMO it would have to be in the form of vouchers etc., which would just increase administrative costs.

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

One thing the club could do is not lost to an NPL club in the FFA Cup :up: 

Interesting fact: We are only one of four HAL clubs; City, Brisbane, Sydney and Jets that have not been knocked out by an NPL team.

(Brisbane have a horrible cup record anyway, have only played an NPL team once. The only time they have won)

Edited by haz

56 minutes ago, haz said:

Interesting fact: We are only one of four HAL clubs; City, Brisbane, Sydney and Jets that have not been knocked out by an NPL team.

(Brisbane have a horrible cup record anyway, have only played an NPL team once. The only time they have won)

I would call that just plain uunnlluuuccckkkyyyyy

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, haz said:

I still think that an A-League club will win it this year, but by the end of this round of 16 there'll be no more than four A-League clubs left in it. Victory, Brisbane, Wellington, Central Coast and Perth are already out, and either City or Newcastle must join them.

39 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I still think that an A-League club will win it this year, but by the end of this round of 16 there'll be no more than four A-League clubs left in it. Victory, Brisbane, Wellington, Central Coast and Perth are already out, and either City or Newcastle must join them.

I hope two NPL teams make it to the semis (at least one will). But by that stage, the HAL teams will be in form and most likely thump them.

6 hours ago, strider said:

had a call from melb city member rep. they are begging me to re-join (been a member from heart-2017/18). 

i believe membership numbers are trending to be worse than last season. 

They must know how important you are to the fabric of the club.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, strider said:

had a call from melb city member rep. they are begging me to re-join (been a member from heart-2017/18). 

i believe membership numbers are trending to be worse than last season. 

Had plenty of calls last season when I hadn't rejoined. It's normal, nothing to read into it. 

The club just needs to keep doing what it’s doing. Off the pitch we are unbeatable, youth and women’s team are best in the business.

With Lowy gone, from next season, maybe even the 2nd half of this season, we will start seeing some significant changes across the board that will grow the game ... TBH, NPL clubs are already gearing up for it. It’s no fluke that the FFA cup is gaining momentum and that these lower tiered clubs are knocking off A-League clubs more consistently (and impressively).

if you could buy shares in Football, now is the time to invest because the payoff down the track for those that setup well is going to be huge.

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

The club just needs to keep doing what it’s doing. Off the pitch we are unbeatable, youth and women’s team are best in the business.

With Lowy gone, from next season, maybe even the 2nd half of this season, we will start seeing some significant changes across the board that will grow the game ... TBH, NPL clubs are already gearing up for it. It’s no fluke that the FFA cup is gaining momentum and that these lower tiered clubs are knocking off A-League clubs more consistently (and impressively).

if you could buy shares in Football, now is the time to invest because the payoff down the track for those that setup well is going to be huge.

Australian Football? 

Less risk putting all your money on black at the cas. 

On 8/18/2018 at 8:02 AM, rass said:

Hey man, you should already know that The Herald Sun and Channel 7 are driven by AFL and you obviously now what they think about football. This is part of the reason why I can't stand AFL

7 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Unfortunately I’ve learnt in life that just because someone of questionable competency leaves a job doesn’t mean their replacement will be better.

Im adopting a “wait and see” approach to the “improvements”. 

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Unfortunately I’ve learnt in life that just because someone of questionable competency leaves a job doesn’t mean their replacement will be better.

Im adopting a “wait and see” approach to the “improvements”. 

Actually I think that this is the kind of job that finding the right person is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewConvert said:

Actually I think that this is the kind of job that finding the right person is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.

There is no question it’s abloody hard job. Need a diverse range of skills and a solid support base. Should go without saying you won’t keep everyone happy, even if you are exceptional.

TBH I thought Frank Lowy was fantastic. Biggest error though was getting his son appointed to follow him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shahanga said:

There is no question it’s abloody hard job. Need a diverse range of skills and a solid support base. Should go without saying you won’t keep everyone happy, even if you are exceptional.

TBH I thought Frank Lowy was fantastic. Biggest error though was getting his son appointed to follow him.

I thought that Frank was great too. I had big expectations from his son but definitely a let down. After all he had love the game (was a socceroo), had connections, knew the corporate world but in the end he was unimaginative, could not connect with teh supporter base, could not make decisions and appeared to be led rather than lead.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Can't find an "Active Area" thread so I'll go with this one. Can someone tell me wtf is with the Active Area? Even when we were pulling 5-6k crowds the Active Area was more full then now.

It's shit like last night when cops/seccies evicted a few lads for alleged underage drinking. Like how bored and miserable do you have to be to kick some kids out? Over policing is just a small part of the overall issue

4 minutes ago, Baka1 said:

It's shit like last night when cops/seccies evicted a few lads for alleged underage drinking. Like how bored and miserable do you have to be to kick some kids out? Over policing is just a small part of the overall issue

Surely, it's not purely because of that? I'm sure the over policing happens to all clubs, not just ours. 

• Like 1