Melbourne Football

What needs to be done to grow the support and attendance

Dylan

6 minutes ago, Harrison said:

This is the big issue. I have a mate that is probably quite representative of a lot of football fans. He is in his 20s, has followed a big European club all his life and has played competitive football all his life and is active in his local club. He knows a lot about the game itself and keeps up to date with most things football/team-related. 

He used to go with me to games but was never a member. The last game he went to was the FFA Cup final. I don't think he has watched a City game on television since then but could tell you what was happening generally in the A-league. 

When I talk to him about City now he doesn't even feign interest. It's usually something like 'the league's shit' or 'the standard's too low' or 'City are crap.' If you asked him who he supports he'd probably say City, but even then I'm not sure. The 'you've gotta have a team' campaign probably wasn't aimed at him because he already had one, nominally at least, but it didn't really make him re-engage either, not even subconsciously. I know he saw the ads for it because we joked about it. 

With all that said, I have no idea how to convert (or re-convert) someone like him and get him back into the fold. The Honda signing interested him slightly, and expansion is something he wants to see. P&R is also something I've heard him talk about, as is the general quality of the league. I suspect that lifting the overall standard would slowly bring him back more than anything else. The only way I can see that happening is by abolishing the salary cap and letting the stronger teams bring in better players. Also the pace of the game bugs him. Very slow ball movement, very slow build up etc. He clearly has no issue watching low standard football because he watches his local club every Saturday, but he expects that a professional team in a professional league will be comparable in quality to overseas leagues. 

Unfortunately, it will be the fundamentals that bring Euro-snobs like him back. Can the club do anything, apart from winning? Not sure, but I have my doubts. I think a lot of it depends on the administration of the league and its growth. And we all know how that is going. 

I totally agree with this.

But to me the fundamental issue is that peoples expectations are way too high and basically unrealistic. 

The top 6 or 7 leagues in Europe (including championship) and maybe J and K and both the Argentine and Brazilian Leagues are at completely different level to any other Leagues. If we are aspiring to be at that level then it's never going to happen, ever.

This bloke in question understands the game and knows what he likes and the A League to him is rubbish. The conundrum though is that he is engaged at the lower level. And without knowing exactly what involvement I'd assume he either plays or has played recently or is gery close to someone that has played or plays. But the disconnect at the elite A League is massive. Its almost a different sport for some.

I've been involved with juniors for the last 3 years and of 20 odd kids only my boy goes the A League games. The parents and kids don't see the game in the same way.

Soccer to them is still predominantly a foreign concept and as soon as their kid loses interest in it then they will move on. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Harrison said:

This is the big issue. I have a mate that is probably quite representative of a lot of football fans. He is in his 20s, has followed a big European club all his life and has played competitive football all his life and is active in his local club. He knows a lot about the game itself and keeps up to date with most things football/team-related. 

He used to go with me to games but was never a member. The last game he went to was the FFA Cup final. I don't think he has watched a City game on television since then but could tell you what was happening generally in the A-league. 

When I talk to him about City now he doesn't even feign interest. It's usually something like 'the league's shit' or 'the standard's too low' or 'City are crap.' If you asked him who he supports he'd probably say City, but even then I'm not sure. The 'you've gotta have a team' campaign probably wasn't aimed at him because he already had one, nominally at least, but it didn't really make him re-engage either, not even subconsciously. I know he saw the ads for it because we joked about it. 

With all that said, I have no idea how to convert (or re-convert) someone like him and get him back into the fold. The Honda signing interested him slightly, and expansion is something he wants to see. P&R is also something I've heard him talk about, as is the general quality of the league. I suspect that lifting the overall standard would slowly bring him back more than anything else. The only way I can see that happening is by abolishing the salary cap and letting the stronger teams bring in better players. Also the pace of the game bugs him. Very slow ball movement, very slow build up etc. He clearly has no issue watching low standard football because he watches his local club every Saturday, but he expects that a professional team in a professional league will be comparable in quality to overseas leagues. 

Unfortunately, it will be the fundamentals that bring Euro-snobs like him back. Can the club do anything, apart from winning? Not sure, but I have my doubts. I think a lot of it depends on the administration of the league and its growth. And we all know how that is going. 

This is the problem. Technically, the standard of football played by his local club is far below that of the HAL yet he's emotionally engaged so he watches and attends. There's something about Melbourne City that is just not emotionally engaging, or at least not sufficiently engaging so that people lose interest when the usual supporter frustrations occur

4 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

Everyone i've ever spoken to has cited a lack of banners flags flares and noise as something that bores them in the A-league. Even players. 

I wonder if more people would attend if ticket prices were lower?

11 minutes ago, Harrison said:

he expects that a professional team in a professional league will be comparable in quality to overseas leagues. 

But it is. It's just not comparable with the very top overseas leagues - England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France etc. Go down two divisions or more in those countries, or go to the top leagues in smaller and/or poorer countries, and our league is no better and no worse.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

This is the problem. Technically, the standard of football played by his local club is far below that of the HAL yet he's emotionally engaged so he watches and attends. There's something about Melbourne City that is just not emotionally engaging, or at least not sufficiently engaging so that people lose interest when the usual supporter frustrations occur

Thats because to me the game is veiwed especially in Melbourne as still being a foreign game. Its not seen on the same level as AFL or cricket or even netball or basketball. 

8 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Like us, they have a large grassroots participation, unlike us, they've been able to engage them. I suppose one difference is that Australian netball is played at an elite level, there isn't a freely available overseas comparison.

Yeh exactly, it's the top level with near to no competition, and its also a sport that is pretty much exclusively women, which imo gives them a bit of a sense of ownership to it.

I'd hazard a guess that if you were able to create a graph for every girl that has played sport in the last 20 years in Australia, then the percentage of girls that have tried netball would be higher than the male equivalent of ANY sport. 

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

At what level would you say the A-League is at, compared with England for example? League 2? Average attendance across the 12 matches in League 2 on Saturday was 4,102.

Lower half championship in both quality and attendances would be my guess. Thing is attendance and quality arent necessarily mutually exclusive in Europe either. See Scottish Pub League, Polish League etc

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

At what level would you say the A-League is at, compared with England for example? League 2? Average attendance across the 12 matches in League 2 on Saturday was 4,102.

Exactly. 

The problem is people's perception. 

Ultimately when you go to AAMI and watch City play with a newbie you discussion always revolves around comparing it firstly with AFL then the Storm discussion develops and then the comparison is made with EPL and sometimes MLS. And at no stage are any of these comparable for so many reasons I don't have time to outline.

At the end of the day the League is were it is, it might improve or drop in standard over the seasons but essentially it is where it is. 

Like it or not is up the individual.

All what city need to doto make this individual happy is to bring back the sausage stand and Kilkenny. 

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 2

God, could talk about this for ages.

I think the issues need to be separated - firstly big picture competition/FFA type issues & secondly issues specific to our club. The big ones off the top of my head:

FFA/A-League: The season is too long. playing teams 3 times makes no sense and causes both ends of the season to be swamped by AFL/NRL. Needs serious consideration. Someone mentioned netball - 8 teams, 14 week season home & away. Perfect (for them).

FFA/A-League: Stadia. Just not selected/built for purpose. They are all simply way too big for most of the clubs causing a absolute eye-sore at the game and on TV. Utter "destroyation" of atmosphere. Small, intimate, atmosphere-based stadia are the backbone of the sport in europe etc.

Club Specifc: Forget specific issues, first 'port of call' should be a CEO (or President's role?) that is specific and entrenched into the Melbourne and Victorian sporting landscape. Victory had one of the best AFL CEO's of the past years (Hawthorn and Essendon) who pumping them up on SEN weekly. We are just invisible. Utterly invisible. We need to best possible person/people as this is a large, but very fragmented market. You dont just put up a sign and hope it will just happen. 

Big Bash is booming - took off more than anyone could have hoped. Sure, the sport is bigger here but even still, the Renegades and Stars went out and specifically teamed up with the bigger names in sport in this city (cant avoid AFL in this is market) getting the likes of Eddie McGuire, Dunstall, Brayshaw involved. Simply cant have the attitude of us against them etc - this is an AFL mad city and we have to live in it. I love both sports, and Im sure many of our members also have a footy club they support. If you notice, the Storm tread very carefuly in wording and using AFL heads to games and to comment on when they can, in this market. It is just a no-brainer.

2 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

FFA/A-League: The season is too long. playing teams 3 times makes no sense and causes both ends of the season to be swamped by AFL/NRL. Needs serious consideration. Someone mentioned netball - 8 teams, 14 week season home & away. Perfect (for them).

FFA/A-League: Stadia. Just not selected/built for purpose. They are all simply way too big for most of the clubs causing a absolute eye-sore at the game and on TV. Utter "destroyation" of atmosphere. Small, intimate, atmosphere-based stadia are the backbone of the sport in europe etc.

The season is too long for a 10 team league . We need expansion and a longer season. I agree completely with your comment about stadium size

26 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

The season is too long for a 10 team league . We need expansion and a longer season. I agree completely with your comment about stadium size

yep, playing each other twice is obviously what is required.

Even with more teams, Id look to utilise midweek stuff to try and get clear air at one of the ends (finals IMHO). Just sucks to see the end of the season swamped by the start of the AFL season.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

At its best, mid Championship. More realistically, most of the time, lower end Championship tending towards League 1. It really is better than League 2, which is pretty shite kick and rush most of the time. 

I personally believe that the best way of enlarging membership is to WIN WIN WIN CONSISTENTLY  which is going to take time along with getting rid of the salary cap. It has been mentioned that the club needs to be a lot more transparent with it's members, so here we are wanting to know about who we may be going to sign or not and there is deafening silence from the club which is causing some people to lose heart but it seems the club don't care or something like that.

37 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

I personally believe that the best way of enlarging membership is to WIN WIN WIN CONSISTENTLY  which is going to take time along with getting rid of the salary cap. It has been mentioned that the club needs to be a lot more transparent with it's members, so here we are wanting to know about who we may be going to sign or not and there is deafening silence from the club which is causing some people to lose heart but it seems the club don't care or something like that.

I dont think this will solve it, Sydney is an example of this. Its more so of a band aid and will only entice the 'real' supporters of the club.

The thing that needs to change is the entire image of 'Sokkah' in Australia. I still hear lots of supporters from other codes calling it a poofta sport. Even though the sports they follow involve sweaty men wrestling each other, putting their heads into eachother's arses, and even piss into their own mouths.

In my opinion these factors (although some could take decades) will increase attendence.

1. We win games and trophies => City/Heart supporters will come (9-11k)
  2. The league signs 'bigger' names regularly, general quality increases and HAL teams reach the semi final regulary in the ACL => Eurosnob type supporters will come (14-16k)
  3. The whole image of football as 'sokkah' and 'poofta' sport disappears, the high level of junior participations turns into attendence, and football becomes Australia's #1 sport => The general population will attended (25k-30k AAMI Sold out)
Edited by haz
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

The problem with telling your fans who you might be trying to sign is that another club comes in at the last moment and tops your offer. Wasn't it Troisi who was on the point of signing with City when Victory came in when he was almost on his way to Bundoora? I think you have to keep your targets quiet until the ink has dried on the contract.

I agree that the club could communicate better with members - but I don't think telegraphing your transfer targets is the way to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, haz said:

I dont think this will solve it, Sydney is an example of this. Its more so of a band aid and will only entice the 'real' supporters of the club.

The thing that needs to change is the entire image of 'Sokkah' in Australia. I still hear lots of supporters from other codes calling it a poofta sport. Even though the sports they follow involve sweaty men wrestling each other, putting their heads into eachother's arses, and even piss into their own mouths.

In my opinion these factors (although some could take decades) will increase attendence.

1. We win games and trophies => City/Heart supporters will come (9-11k)
  2. The league signs 'bigger' names regularly, general quality increases and HAL teams reach the semi final regulary in the ACL => Eurosnob type supporters will come (14-16k)
  3. The whole image of football as 'sokkah' and 'poofta' sport disappears, the high level of junior participations turns into attendence, and football becomes Australia's #1 sport => The general population will attended (25k-30k AAMI Sold out)

I think Sydney is a little different. NRL attendances are generally way lower than AFL attendances, Sydney people don't attend sport the way other States do. SFS is not only a shit stadium but is really difficult to get to and poorly served by public transport. Wanderers ground has been much easier for those in West Sydney to access

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, johnno cpfc said:

Quite frankly johnno it's none of your business who the club is speaking to or potentially signing. What is your business is the information you get from the club once the player has signed a contract and even then the club is not at liberty to share everything about the arrangements between them and the player to their members. 

Edited by n i k o

6 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

Sounjds to me like you work for the club Niko but i don't care what you think those are my thoughts so you can take them or leave them fella .

Tbh i think what he means is that if the club disclosing details of who we are signing, the terms or even who we are talking to jeopardises in any way who they are able sign, then its plainly stupid to do so. The club owes a duty to its members to get the best deals done possible, not to ensure they know every little details of what happens behind the scenes.
I'm sure every person that calls themselves a City fan, myself and presumably @n i k o included, would love to know who we are talking to and who we think we have a realistic chance of signing, but its flat out reckless and negligent to do so at the expense of the playing list and us as fans need to be able to comprehend that.
If you want an example of where something like that has backfired, see what happened with Michael Essien and Victory a couple of seasons ago.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Tbh i think what he means is that if the club disclosing details of who we are signing, the terms or even who we are talking to jeopardises in any way who they are able sign, then its plainly stupid to do so. The club owes a duty to its members to get the best deals done possible, not to ensure they know every little details of what happens behind the scenes.
I'm sure every person that calls themselves a City fan, myself and presumably @n i k o included, would love to know who we are talking to and who we think we have a realistic chance of signing, but its flat out reckless and negligent to do so at the expense of the playing list and us as fans need to be able to comprehend that.
If you want an example of where something like that has backfired, see what happened with Michael Essien and Victory a couple of seasons ago.

An extreme example, but still...

www.goal.com/en/amp/news/robinho-claims-real-madrid-blocked-chelsea-move-due-to-shirt/11o7fojcni7uj11vrisce0dhh7

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

Sounjds to me like you work for the club Niko but i don't care what you think those are my thoughts so you can take them or leave them fella .

Nah johnno I don't, I just don't get worked up over matters that are inconsequential and also, in my opinion, not within my right to know. Secondly, your thoughts should be voiced even if anyone may disagree, that's fine as well. Just for the record I'll choose to leave them, as I disagree for the reasons that @bt50 mentioned. 

14 hours ago, bt50 said:

I would add that the club should at least say whether they plan to have a full list or reduced list, what positions they would like to have greater competition for, what are some of the qualities in the players they are looking for, etc. Whether we get told who we are talking to or not is within their realm but when ever I look at the foreign press the names of players who clubs are talking to is quite common.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I would add that the club should at least say whether they plan to have a full list or reduced list, what positions they would like to have greater competition for, what are some of the qualities in the players they are looking for, etc. Whether we get told who we are talking to or not is within their realm but when ever I look at the foreign press the names of players who clubs are talking to is quite common.

Why give intelligence to the opposition? The club are quite right to play their cards close to their chest on this. 

Edited by fensaddler
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Why give intelligence to the opposition? The club are quite right to play their cards close to their chest on this. 

Agree. There's also the PR aspect of promising one thing and delivering another and having to deal with the fallout of that. Things can often be quite fluid in a football club environment.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I think you do have a point, but overseas clubs, in general, aren't hamstrung by a salary cap or restrictions on the number of foreign players they can sign; overseas clubs have a lot more room in which to move. We are very restricted on who we can target, and the restrictions make it even more important that we do get the player(s) we are targeting. Hence the need for silence.

I agree that the silence is annoying, in part because we're encouraged to renew our memberships long before the make-up of the squad is known, but IMO it is absolutely justified in the circumstances.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think you do have a point, but overseas clubs, in general, aren't hamstrung by a salary cap or restrictions on the number of foreign players they can sign; overseas clubs have a lot more room in which to move. We are very restricted on who we can target, and the restrictions make it even more important that we do get the player(s) we are targeting. Hence the need for silence.

I agree that the silence is annoying, in part because we're encouraged to renew our memberships long before the make-up of the squad is known, but IMO it is absolutely justified in the circumstances.

Not aiming this at you jw, but this mentality in general is just bizarre. You either support the club or you don't, irrespective of the player signed. I just can't relate to this way of thinking.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, NewConvert said:

This is what i was alluding to in my post along with the other factor of being asked to commit to membership (season ticket) long before we know who is going to play for City in the next season. 

5 hours ago, n i k o said:

Not aiming this at you jw, but this mentality in general is just bizarre. You either support the club or you don't, irrespective of the player signed. I just can't relate to this way of thinking.  

That's fine, I understand what you're saying and I also renew regardless. But clearly plenty of people do not renew automatically - the numbers so far indicate that about half of last season's have renewed.

This thread about ways to increase support for the club, so IMO it's a valid point for people to raise.

13 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Depends on the intelligence provided. Just like I know roughly where my employer's competitors are at, I would also expect all a-league clubs to have some intelligence going on about each other. And in any case, the intelligence would only be valid till round 1 if not earlier. And just like any commercial press release, the task is to let teh public know enough for them to be interested but not enough for the competition to know the precise details. This is standard fare in the commercial world.

11 hours ago, bt50 said:

Agree. There's also the PR aspect of promising one thing and delivering another and having to deal with the fallout of that. Things can often be quite fluid in a football club environment.

This thread exists because the PR of not promising anything is not working either. And yes fluidity is a factor what with injuries and suspensions but as fans we know this.

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

All clubs have a salary cap - how much money they earn. This is why Brazilian clubs don't pay the sort of money the top four European clubs do. And La Liga has a maximum 3 non-eu players on their list, that is visa players, which makes teh concept of foreign players difficult to compare. The FFA imposed salary cap as well as list cap is there to prevent the league becoming a two club competition.

As for who we can target, well we actually have a much bigger pool than Mourinhos Man U has. Why? Well, Jose would like to have only the top 50 players in the world on his list. Since we can't afford that, we have to settle for players at around $900K or less of which there are plenty around.

10 hours ago, n i k o said:

I agree with this. Most of teh foreign players we get are largely unknowns. Some have graced teh top leagues but the ADP, Cahill, Heskeys are few and far between. And whether they are worth the money I am not sure. I just see this as an issue to keep my engagement, sadly, I will continue to renew my membership.

On 12/08/2018 at 2:06 PM, Missing_Moy said:

But in the end the parent club pays for everything anyway so what does it matter!

only issue I see is cfg saying melbourne cost us 1.5 million last season but if they pay what azarni is really worth only a 200k loss

Arzani is worth more like 10M

51 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Arzani is worth more like 10M

I'm not sure anyone would pay that for him. If a League 1 club in England had produced him, they'd be lucky to see a seven figure fee, even with add ons. Until he's older and played at a higher level, he's very unlikely to command mega money. That's why I think the model we have may ultimately deliver the best value for us. We still won't see a big fee, but CFG might, and that will ultimately deliver in kind back to us. 

37 minutes ago, haz said:

I think @Shahanga meant 10M Schrute Bucks

So according to the exchange rate which was 1 Schrute Buck = 1/10000th of 1 US cent, 10million Schrute Bucks would be US$1000, which is, at time of me posting, AUD$1381.05. This seems very low in the current world football transfer climate. Therefore I would have to disagree with you haz and say that Shahanga was not suggesting that Daniel Arzani is worth 10M Schrute Bucks.

Edited by GreenSeater
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

So according to the exchange rate which was 1 Schrute Buck = 1/10000th of 1 US cent, 10million Schrute Bucks would be US$1000, which is, at time of me posting, AUD$1381.05. This seems very low in the current world football transfer climate. Therefore I would have to disagree with you haz and say that Shahanga was not suggesting that Daniel Arzani is worth 10M Schrute Bucks.

10M Stanley Nickles

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I'm not sure anyone would pay that for him. If a League 1 club in England had produced him, they'd be lucky to see a seven figure fee, even with add ons. Until he's older and played at a higher level, he's very unlikely to command mega money. That's why I think the model we have may ultimately deliver the best value for us. We still won't see a big fee, but CFG might, and that will ultimately deliver in kind back to us. 

He only has one season left on his contract doesn't he?

1 hour ago, malloy said:

He only has one season left on his contract doesn't he?

@malloy Arzani had one more year to run on his contract with us. As I understand it, he triggered an extension by the number of A-League minutes he racked up last season.

Tranfermarkt doesn't say how long his contract with Manchester is.

Incidentally, transfermarkt has his market value as 1.35m GBP. That's A$2.37m.

Edited by jw1739