Melbourne Football

What needs to be done to grow the support and attendance

Dylan

Ciao Farewell Goodbye (CFG)

Posted by David Hards

When the City Football Group (CFG) completed their takeover of Melbourne Heart they not only ensured their survival as a football club but assisted with putting Australian football on the worldwide map. There is no doubting how powerful the CFG are with their financial reach throughout the world. Billionaires don’t just buy yachts these days, they buy football clubs too.

When it was first announced that CFG were to takeover Melbourne Heart I jumped in feet first, I wanted my club to be a more powerful beast the cross city rivals Melbourne Victory, to win countless league titles and consistently challenge for every piece is silverware the league had to offer.

I had been with Melbourne Heart since the inception, I was a huge fan of the philosophy of the club and wanted to see them flourish not only on the field but off the field to grow as a real football club. On the field Heart seemed to struggle and definitely faced some financial battles but I was more than happy with the direction the club was taking. The club never lost sight of who they were along the journey but were probably haemoraging money from a financial stand point. We saw players like Curtis Good, Aziz Behich and Eli Babalj develop and move to Europe for the financial benefit of the club.

When CFG took over from Heart many promises and assurances were given, we would have our own identity, we wouldn’t become a “mini Manchester” and we would be a strong successful team. I didn’t expect significant change overnight, in today’s football market this is borderline impossible. We were informed we had access to a worldwide scouting network and this would dramatically benefit the club. CFG would also invest heavily in creating a training facility, bring the best female talent together to form an outstanding W-League squad and enhance our youth development program. I acknowledge the benefits CFG have brought to Australia, specifically Melbourne but they have in my opinion failed to build a football club with real meaning.

As Melbourne City came into the league in it’s own entity it never really explained, we never knew what the club stood for or where they saw themselves in the football landscape in Australia. This has been very secretive, like many of the communication the club has (or doesn’t have).

Even as a member you get the sense that you’re an outsider with the club, there is no real engagement technique the club has used. It’s almost a perceived arrogance that the club belongs to CFG, support us if you choose but your decision won’t impact us in any form. There is no willingness on the clubs behalf to engage.

Take the Ross McCormack departure last season for instance, there is no doubting the club knew they were losing their most prolific scorer and realistically sealing their seasons fate with Bruno Fornaroli so underdone. Instead of making an announcement on the night of McCormacks final game and giving the fans and members a chance to thank Ross the club decided to wait 48hrs to announce his departure. Even if the club were working on extending the loan deal a communication could’ve been sent to all members but this is not the case with Melbourne City.

The recent “transfer” of Daniel Arzani for me was the final straw in giving my emotional and financial support to this football club. I have no issue with Arzani going abroad to enhance his abilities, the kid is far too good for the A-League and the move overseas will see his dramatically develop as a football for his club and country.

Personally I cannot sit on my hands and watch our players “transfer” to Manchester City then move on loan to another club. Yes this worked with a huge amount of success for Aaron Mooy but it also spells out my football club primarily exists to benefit a club on the other side of the world exploit the Financial Fair Play ruling.

Over the last few seasons I’ve become uncomfortable with decisions made by CFG and the club and this has gradually reduced my support and passion for Melbourne City and I no longer have the desire I once did and cannot see this returning for this football franchise.

Over this journey of eight years I’ve met some great people involved with this club, taken part in some incredible opportunities but the gauge has finally reached empty and I have no intention of refilling using the services of CFG.

I might attend a few A-League games this season but this will be purely as a neutral fan. Who knows what the future holds, I don’t want to become an A-League journeyman but I cannot support a club owned by CFG with their mindset and philosophies.

Posted this to show that members have had enough of our bullshit. I would rather keep finishing 6th or 7th as Heart than finish 4th as City because under Heart we were the underdogs all the time but now there is no excuse to be an underdog. This club has became a factory for players to progress then be sold to CFG and we get nothing from it. 

Melbourne City is too worried about political correctness rather than football

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Embee said:

All Hards ever does is take shots at the club, good riddance.

He has for a couple of years anyway. Look, I understand what he's saying, but in the end good will triumph over evil, there is not an inexhaustible supply of young Australian talent that will come to us, and in the end "Return on Investment" means that we have to be more successful on the field than we have been because players want to be a part of a winning side and won't come to us to be perpetual losers. I also see that in due course CFG's practice of signing players with no intention of them ever playing for Manchester City but to be farmed out and eventually traded at an overall profit will be stopped by FIFA and UEFA.

This year we're seeing a lot of red in the promotion of the 2018/19 kit, so CFG seem to be getting the message, albeit very slowly, that we are Melbourne and not a suburb of Manchester.

8 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

We've reportedly received $500,000 for Arzani. Unless there's a large on-sell percentage for us then we're really just a football colony enriching the parent club

But in the end the parent club pays for everything anyway so what does it matter!

only issue I see is cfg saying melbourne cost us 1.5 million last season but if they pay what azarni is really worth only a 200k loss

16 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

But in the end the parent club pays for everything anyway so what does it matter!

only issue I see is cfg saying melbourne cost us 1.5 million last season but if they pay what azarni is really worth only a 200k loss

Yes, you've just identified the problem, it works well for CFG (as it should, they own the franchise) but it doesn't work so well for us. We lose our best player for $500,000, just as we did with Mooy. That's not enough to financially strengthen our recruiting hand with a marquee position, so how does it materially strengthen Melbourne City?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Yes, you've just identified the problem, it works well for CFG (as it should, they own the franchise) but it doesn't work so well for us. We lose our best player for $500,000, just as we did with Mooy. That's not enough to financially strengthen our recruiting hand with a marquee position, so how does it materially strengthen Melbourne City?

Because CFG pay the wages of all our players anyway 

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/daniel-arzani/transfers/spieler/399997/transfer_id/2216951

If you actually check, we got paid closer to 1.5 mil aud. CFG have put a lot of money into this club, I don't know what they'll ever have to do to win some of you people over.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, IssySG said:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/daniel-arzani/transfers/spieler/399997/transfer_id/2216951

If you actually check, we got paid closer to 1.5 mil aud. CFG have put a lot of money into this club, I don't know what they'll ever have to do to win some of you people over.

I've seen both figures, we'll never know for sure because CFG won't tell us (nor do they have to, this isn't a club, we aren't members)

What it'll take to win me over is simple, win

Edited by belaguttman

3 hours ago, rass said:

Ummmm, speak for yourself yeah? Please don't go putting your words in other people's mouths...

But hey, I for one am rapt with your rant because hopefully it means one less tool on this forum.

Who the hell do you think you are mate.  We are nothing compared to Victory and Sydney and WSW as they have won titles (including ACL) because they care about there first team and want to sign decent players. All our club cares about is training young players to sell them off to the Arabs and we get nothing in return. This is why we have not as many supporters because we are not successful.

I am allowed to express my opinion if i want. I am fine to have a debate with people on the forums but don't start digging at me and others on here who dont agree with what you think.

Just remember you are a supporter like everyone else so pull your head in.

• Like 1

Is that Hards guy the one who writes all the article calling us €it¥/$ity like a child?

--------------------------------------------------------------

14 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Who the hell do you think you are mate.  We are nothing compared to Victory and Sydney and WSW as they have won titles (including ACL) because they care about there first team and want to sign decent players. All our club cares about is training young players to sell them off to the Arabs and we get nothing in return. This is why we have not as many supporters because we are not successful.

@playmaker seriously go sign up to Victory or move to Sydney if you are so unhappy. Its better then whinging on the forum.

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IssySG said:

Spot on, I don't see anyone mentioning the facilities at La Trobe for the men's, youth AND women's teams when they bitch about the lack of money coming our way for Arzani and Mooy, a convenient omission.

Personally, I smile a little every time one of the self-loathing, holier than thou types that constantly shit on the club decides to announce they're done with the team. Not only is it a gross over-assumption of their own importance but the less we have of those types the better IMO.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Embee said:

Spot on, I don't see anyone mentioning the facilities at La Trobe for the men's, youth AND women's teams when they bitch about the lack of money coming our way for Arzani and Mooy, a convenient omission.

Personally, I smile a little every time one of the self-loathing, holier than thou types that constantly shit on the club decides to announce they're done with the team. Not only is it a gross over-assumption of their own importance but the less we have of those types the better IMO.

well well said

1 hour ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

I am allowed to express my opinion if i want. I am fine to have a debate with people on the forums but don't start digging at me and others on here who dont agree with what you think.

Just remember you are a supporter like everyone else so pull your head in.

No, you make your point and straight out claim it's the view of members.

It's not my view at all, so if you want to express your opinion, don't try and justify it by implying its everyone elses.

That's what annoys me most. 

Understand that?

• Like 1

In my experience there are two types of football fan (fan is abbreviated from fanatic): the loyal fan that stick to their team through thick and thin and the other a sod-that-for-a-lark the team is useless. They are floating supporters those who leave the club because its performance declined. They shift their allegiances to another club because they are glory hunters. To honest they were never true fans of the team in the first place.

Therefore watching a team does not make you a true football fan. A true fan is loyal to his/her team, and sticks to it no matter what.

There will be at times better teams but just once coming out on top makes the journey all worthwhile. I was fortunate to be St Johnston’s Scottish cup final win. The clubs first major trophy in over 100 years the feeling can only be experienced no words come close to explaining the emotion.

Therefore if you want to be a loyal Melbourne City fan it is easy be one. Stop being envious of other teams.

Edited by Inchcolm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Embee said:

I'm happy to mention them again, they are great. Kudos to CFG for raising the professional standard of football in Australia. The facilities are there to support the players so that we can win. The women's team are winners, the youth teams are winners. The men's team are not winners. If we've been paid $1.5 million and that is used to buy a proper marquee then I'm less concerned as it's likely to strengthen the men's team, if it's $500,000 then I'm concerned, given that we have to pay our own way. Transfermarkt report what is publically reported, they don't 'know' any more than we 'know'

Edited by belaguttman

40 minutes ago, rass said:

No, you make your point and straight out claim it's the view of members.

It's not my view at all, so if you want to express your opinion, don't try and justify it by implying its everyone elses.

That's what annoys me most. 

Understand that?

Why dont u read the whole fucking post and see how it is relevant instead of nip picking shit in peoples posts. There are a lot of members who have had enough of Melbourne citys management and want shit to change for the better of the club and members.

And as for @haz me and playermaker are not the same person so just drop that out of the equation and stop being a little fucking smartass. And if you think i apparently hate the club, you're wrong. I have been watching city since 14-15 and i have enjoyed the first two seasons as we played with heart and the board wanted to sign big players and fought hard to win but after that the city board has became stupid and signing and releasing players like there is no tomorrow and we do the same shit every season with no change. We need changes at the club

THERE IS A REASON WHY CITY ONLY HAS 5000 MEMBERS BECUASE PEOPLE ARE DONE WITH THE CLUB 

GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK SCULLS

9 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I'm happy to mention them again, they are great. Kudos to CFG for raising the professional standard of football in Australia. The facilities are there to support the players so that we can win. The women's team are winners, the youth teams are winners. The men's team are not winners. If we've been paid $1.5 million and that is used to buy a proper marquee then I'm less concerned as it's likely to strengthen the men's team, if it's $500,000 then I'm concerned, given that we have to pay our own way. Transfermarkt report what is publically reported, they don't 'know' any more than we 'know'

See this is where we clearly won't see eye to eye; I don't care about the money we've received for Mooy and Arzani and feel like it's a completely separate discussion from our marquee signings or ability to win trophies. The club has shown a willingness to invest in facilities and the playing squad (Cahill and Bruno's large marquee contract upgrade in the past for example) regardless of players heading the other direction. 

I wouldn't care if they'd taken Arzani for 500k or 10 million and I'm not sure why anybody does. All that I care about is that the club does the utmost in it's power to make us competitive as possible. If we sign an excellent marquee and another solid centreback for the coming season then I'm pleased, if we don't, I'm not. Wringing hands over the financial deals between Manchester and Melbourne is pointless, at the end of the day CFG is in charge of the finances for everybody in the group so it's really just moving money from one hand to the other.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Embee said:

See this is where we clearly won't see eye to eye; I don't care about the money we've received for Mooy and Arzani and feel like it's a completely separate discussion from our marquee signings or ability to win trophies. The club has shown a willingness to invest in facilities and the playing squad (Cahill and Bruno's large marquee contract upgrade in the past for example) regardless of players heading the other direction. 

I wouldn't care if they'd taken Arzani for 500k or 10 million and I'm not sure why anybody does. All that I care about is that the club does the utmost in it's power to make us competitive as possible. If we sign an excellent marquee and another solid centreback for the coming season then I'm pleased, if we don't, I'm not. Wringing hands over the financial deals between Manchester and Melbourne is pointless, at the end of the day CFG is in charge of the finances for everybody in the group so it's really just moving money from one hand to the other.

It's linked because CFG has said that we need to be financially self-sufficient. If we get paid $500K then that becomes a part of our salary cap exempt budget for a marquee. If we get $2m then we can look for a different class of marquee. Given what CFG sold Mooy for ($11M) another $500k or $1M takes a little off their profit but it makes a huge difference to our marquee scouting list.

Edited by belaguttman

1 hour ago, Inchcolm said:

In my experience there are two types of football fan (fan is abbreviated from fanatic): the loyal fan that stick to their team through thick and thin and the other a sod-that-for-a-lark the team is useless. They are floating supporters those who leave the club because its performance declined. They shift their allegiances to another club because they are glory hunters. To honest they were never true fans of the team in the first place.

Therefore watching a team does not make you a true football fan. A true fan is loyal to his/her team, and sticks to it no matter what.

There will be at times better teams but just once coming out on top makes the journey all worthwhile. I was fortunate to be St Johnston’s Scottish cup final win. The clubs first major trophy in over 100 years the feeling can only be experienced no words come close to explaining the emotion.

Therefore if you want to be a loyal Melbourne City fan it is easy be one. Stop being envious of other teams.

I approach supporting City and before that Heart with the same mindset I supported my home town club in the UK, Walsall, and the same mindset with which you support St Johnstone. Indeed I picked Heart precisely because they reminded me of Walsall, being small and unlikely to win anything without a struggle and a lot of patience. They are my club regardless. 

2 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

It's linked because CFG has said that we need to be financially self-sufficient. If we get paid $500K then that becomes a part of our salary cap exempt budget for a marquee. If we get $2m then we can look for a different class of marquee. Given what CFG sold Mooy for ($11M) another $500k or $1M takes a little off their profit but it makes a huge difference to our marquee scouting list.

But presumably the money CFG made off Mooy, will hopefully make on Arzani, and will subsequently make on others who come through will go against our credit column, even if it isn't reflected in the fee initially paid to us. The alternative is that we sell to another party, and excepting any sell on clauses we negotiate, we don't see any benefit, tangible or intangible, for the future appreciation in value of that player. Promising youngsters sold on from an English league 1 club don't generate huge fees initially either, even if they end up being EPL regulars. On balance this is a better arrangement. 

51 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Why dont u read the whole fucking post and see how it is relevant instead of nip picking shit in peoples posts. There are a lot of members who have had enough of Melbourne citys management and want shit to change for the better of the club and members.

And as for @haz me and playermaker are not the same person so just drop that out of the equation and stop being a little fucking smartass. And if you think i apparently hate the club, you're wrong. I have been watching city since 14-15 and i have enjoyed the first two seasons as we played with heart and the board wanted to sign big players and fought hard to win but after that the city board has became stupid and signing and releasing players like there is no tomorrow and we do the same shit every season with no change. We need changes at the club

THERE IS A REASON WHY CITY ONLY HAS 5000 MEMBERS BECUASE PEOPLE ARE DONE WITH THE CLUB 

Why are you still fucking here?

20 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Neither of us have any idea how the finances of CFG or Melbourne City work, you're making assertions that you have no evidence or information to back, simply to suit your own argument. You have no way to prove, for example, that as stated by @fensaddler, CFG don't treat cash made from the on-sale of our talent as money generated by Melbourne City. 

If we only spend what we generate, then those facilities at La Trobe must have been backed by some kind of mystery sale none of us heard of.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

But presumably the money CFG made off Mooy, will hopefully make on Arzani, and will subsequently make on others who come through will go against our credit column, even if it isn't reflected in the fee initially paid to us. The alternative is that we sell to another party, and excepting any sell on clauses we negotiate, we don't see any benefit, tangible or intangible, for the future appreciation in value of that player. Promising youngsters sold on from an English league 1 club don't generate huge fees initially either, even if they end up being EPL regulars. On balance this is a better arrangement. 

I admit that I'm not across the financial side of all this as much as some people seem to be. But as a layman, I would have thought that items being moved from CFG ledger to another CFG ledger (e.g a player transferred from Melbourne to Manchester) ought to being done at the best estimate of the market value of that item. According to transfermarkt Arzani was valued at 801,000 GBP (=A$1,300,000) when he was transferred between the clubs. Are people saying that he was worth more than that?

Good to see some discussion here on this topic but it always gets nasty for some reason when a opinion doesn’t fall in the right street of a select few. 

I fear that we are seeing members dropping off year after year since the take over until we actually start wining something. New members will eventually replace the ones who loose interest, but a a core 3-5k member will remain.

I can actually relate to your statement as myself and 5 friends have still not renewed due to lack of excitement, it’s just dropped year after year since the take over. We have been members for years. 

I’m an old Heart and Manchester City fan and at first I thought this take over was just genius but I’m starting to feel the lack connection with the club, I’m yet to pintpoint it - it might be a identity and character thing what I’m missing. Certainly poor football and a boring coach doesn’t help to get the fence sitters back onboard.

Small example what annoys with the club is some attention to details, so we are bringing more red in the campaign great but at the same time we add a black colour away kit, which will definitely be used at some away games. The red away kit hasn’t been modified and still looks tacky with the big stickers, they have invested more time on the black top than our traditional red kit.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Good to see some discussion here on this topic but it always gets nasty for some reason when a opinion doesn’t fall in the right street of a select few. 

I fear that we are seeing members dropping off year after year since the take over until we actually start wining something. New members will eventually replace the ones who loose interest, but a a core 3-5k member will remain.

I can actually relate to your statement as myself and 5 friends have still not renewed due to lack of excitement, it’s just dropped year after year since the take over. We have been members for years. 

I’m an old Heart and Manchester City fan and at first I thought this take over was just genius but I’m starting to feel the lack connection with the club, I’m yet to pintpoint it - it might be a identity and character thing what I’m missing. Certainly poor football and a boring coach doesn’t help to get the fence sitters back onboard.

Small example what annoys with the club is some attention to details, so we are bringing more red in the campaign great but at the same time we add a black colour away kit, which will definitely be used at some away games. The red away kit hasn’t been modified and still looks tacky with the big stickers, they have invested more time on the black top than our traditional red kit.

I may not totally agree with you but at least I appreciate you stating it's your opinion and not trying to be a spokesman for every member on here.

14 minutes ago, rass said:

I may not totally agree with you but at least I appreciate you stating it's your opinion and not trying to be a spokesman for every member on here.

Opinion, fact or feeling - we should all care about the fact that we are unable to attract more fans and retain the current ones.

Since you were having such tough debate with Citizen, I wouldn’t mind hearing your thoughts on why the fans stay home and why some are so unhappy about plastic club feel? We can’t say these people aren’t true fans, or don’t exist.

I'm just gonna leave this here till the end of the season and we'll see if people are done with the club then.

3 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

In other news I went to see Melbourne Storm for something different today.

16 thousand in the stands.

Dead and dull atmosphere. Made me proud of what we do with 8g in the stands. What needs to be done to grow support for the club? Its going to be very slow - probably generational. You chose City for a reason, if you feel those reasons are justified to stick with City, then stick to City, promote City, be present and be part of the foundations that (I Hope) are going to last for many generations to come. 

About culture: do not trivialise it. Culture grows, it is not manufactured. It will only grow if we feed it right. We live in a Victory dominant city. We are the lesser team.

But not Forever. Keep the hope alive, keep supporting and project this passion another 5, 25 and 50 years into the future.

Thats right son, I was there to see the Aaron Mooy. I witnessed the clubs greatest striker, Bruno Fornaroli. I was there when we won our first FFA cup. I was there when we won our first A League championship. I was there when we won in Asia. I was there...

History is being written lads. We are part of it. Be proud.

Out of likes, solid post.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Opinion, fact or feeling - we should all care about the fact that we are unable to attract more fans and retain the current ones.

Since you were having such tough debate with Citizen, I wouldn’t mind hearing your thoughts on why the fans stay home and why some are so unhappy about plastic club feel? We can’t say these people aren’t true fans, or don’t exist.

The high turnover rate of membership has been an issue since the early heart days this is not something that is isolated to Melbourne City.

15 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

In other news I went to see Melbourne Storm for something different today.

16 thousand in the stands.

Dead and dull atmosphere. Made me proud of what we do with 8g in the stands. What needs to be done to grow support for the club? Its going to be very slow - probably generational. You chose City for a reason, if you feel those reasons are justified to stick with City, then stick to City, promote City, be present and be part of the foundations that (I Hope) are going to last for many generations to come. 

About culture: do not trivialise it. Culture grows, it is not manufactured. It will only grow if we feed it right. We live in a Victory dominant city. We are the lesser team.

But not Forever. Keep the hope alive, keep supporting and project this passion another 5, 25 and 50 years into the future.

Thats right son, I was there to see the Aaron Mooy. I witnessed the clubs greatest striker, Bruno Fornaroli. I was there when we won our first FFA cup. I was there when we won our first A League championship. I was there when we won in Asia. I was there...

History is being written lads. We are part of it. Be proud.

We Gather Strength As We Go

• Like 2

Look no further than Sydney FC, back to back successful seasons, some of the best talent the league has seen, nice football to watch. Stagnant crowd numbers.

Don't expect numbers to all of a sudden spike until the league is firmly entrenched in the national sporting psyche and the game finally finds a solid footing. But the club are doing the right thing at the grassroots level trying to turn junior participation numbers into City fans via Clinics, competitions, etc.