Melbourne Football

Best XI 2018/2019

Harrison

So far we've not made any re-signings, so our squad list is pretty lean. Of those that are re-contracted for 2018/2019 we could put out:

Bouzanis

Schenkeveld - Delbridge - La Rocca

Atkinson                                                       Jamieson

Budzinski - Genreau

Arzani                                                            Vidosic     

Fornaroli            

Galekovic, Delianov, Pieiras, Najjarine, Najjar + youth squad

Obviously this won't be our best XI but I think even that team above could challenge for a play-off spot, so our core is there (not including Brattan, Bozanic, Malik or Mauk). 

Top of my list would be another CB, a marquee CM and a forward who could play centrally or on the wing. 

Edited by Harrison
  • Like 1

Boozanis

Atkinson         Bort       Jako    Jamieson 

Brattan              Bozanic

Armani                Iniesta              Wales

Fornaroli 

Edited by Afif Adam
transfers not looking good /:

Boozanis

Pierias Bart Jacko Jamieson

Genreau Malik

Arzani DDS Najjarine

Fornaroli

Or..

Boozanis

Arzani DDS Malik Najjarine

Budz Fornaroli

Bratten and Mauk were loans, we don't know if they will be back yet.

Weren't Bozanic and Vidosic on contact only till the end of the season? If so, we don't know if they'll be re-signed.

2 hours ago, moops said:

Boozanis

Genreau Malik

Arzani DDS Najjarine

Fornaroli

Or..

Boozanis

Budz Fornaroli

Weren't Bozanic and Vidosic on contact only till the end of the season? If so, we don't know if they'll be re-signed.

Vidosic signed for 2 season with an option for a 3rd

3 hours ago, moops said:

Boozanis

Genreau Malik

Arzani DDS Najjarine

Fornaroli

Or..

Boozanis

Budz Fornaroli

@moops I (try to) keep everything up to date in the "Player Contracts" thread.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moops said:

Boozanis

Genreau Malik

Arzani DDS Najjarine

Fornaroli

Or..

Boozanis

Budz Fornaroli

Atkinson? 

1 hour ago, neio said:

Atkinson? 

He did pretty well, but he's a converted winger who was playing RB in the youth team whilst Pierias was injured and he got his shot in the first team. 

In his short stint, Pierias showed more defensively and is an actual RB. 

Atkinson has done well whilst learning on the job, with Bart coaching him the whole time, maybe Pierias is a better option. 

7 hours ago, moops said:

He did pretty well, but he's a converted winger who was playing RB in the youth team whilst Pierias was injured and he got his shot in the first team. 

In his short stint, Pierias showed more defensively and is an actual RB. 

Atkinson has done well whilst learning on the job, with Bart coaching him the whole time, maybe Pierias is a better option. 

Surely you're kidding? The kid was very good at RB this season and played at a high level over considerably more games than Pierias ever did. Not to mention the understanding him and Arzani seem to have on the field.

For me Atkinson holds that spot round 1 next season with Pierias as the backup.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 6

16 hours ago, Embee said:

Surely you're kidding? The kid was very good at RB this season and played at a high level over considerably more games than Pierias ever did. Not to mention the understanding him and Arzani seem to have on the field.

For me Atkinson holds that spot round 1 next season with Pierias as the backup.

I agree. He is a converted full-back but he's only 19. He will get better as he learns the position. Not many 19-year-olds holding down a starting position so he will be doing everything he can to make it his own. Pierias will hopefully provide competition. He's just played the one match and he acquitted himself well. RB is a spot that we don't have to worry about, especially as Bart can play there if need be. 

22 hours ago, Harrison said:

I agree. He is a converted full-back but he's only 19. He will get better as he learns the position. Not many 19-year-olds holding down a starting position so he will be doing everything he can to make it his own. Pierias will hopefully provide competition. He's just played the one match and he acquitted himself well. RB is a spot that we don't have to worry about, especially as Bart can play there if need be. 

agreed, great to have a young kid who can do the job better than any two bit 30 year old. Hopefully he hangs around for a few seasons and really grows. the healthiest competition is between young kids so I would love to see pieras fight him all season for the RB spot

• 1 month later...

So with these new signings, our best XI of contracted players could look like this:

Bouzanis

Atkinson - Schenkeveld - Delbridge - Jamieson

McGree                Malik

Caceres

Arzani                                                     O'Halloran     

Fornaroli

Subs: Wales, Vidosic, La Rocca, Galekovic, Genreau, Delianov, Pieiras, Najjarine and Najjar.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Harrison said:

So with these new signings, our best XI of contracted players could look like this:

Bouzanis

Atkinson - Schenkeveld - Delbridge - Jamieson

McGree                Malik

Caceres

Arzani                                                     O'Halloran     

Fornaroli

Subs: Wales, Vidosic, La Rocca, Galekovic, Genreau, Delianov, Pieiras, Najjarine and Najjar.

The only problem I see is the heavy reliance on Bruno to score. Vidosic helps but don’t see many goals coming from the midfield. O’halloran is an unknown need a goal scoring number 10!!

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

No room for loan players Caceres and Wales?

On day one they'd be part of my bench, perfectly reasonable that they may force their way in but I don't see them as being any better than the players named until they prove otherwise.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Caceres, Wales, Malik La Rocca, Delbridge, Najaarine and Pierias make for a pretty damn handy set of subs/backups.

Add to that Josh Cavallo, Gianluca Iannucci, Moudi Najjar and Connor Metcalfe who were mentioned recently that will be joining the senior squad in the 12 week pre-season looks like a handy group.  

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Add to that Josh Cavallo, Gianluca Iannucci, Moudi Najjar and Connor Metcalfe who were mentioned recently that will be joining the senior squad in the 12 week pre-season looks like a handy group.  

Feels like a broken record and we say it every season, but if we can nail this marquee spot (Wing or AM) and visa CB, geez we are well positioned list wise.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Feels like a broken record and we say it every season, but if we can nail this marquee spot (Wing or AM) and visa CB, geez we are well positioned list wise.

Certainly looks that way, doesn't it. Almost a surfeit of riches. Even if we lose Arzani.

9 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Exactly.  

June/July =unbridled optimism 

August/September =cautious positivity 

October/November = rationalizing and excuse making

December/January= reality and dissapointment

February/March= anger and self pity

April/May= semi final loss.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Exactly.  

You really need help.

17 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Exactly.  

You're welcome.

48 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Incoming 8 rounds of "gelling". Another 8 rounds riddled with injury. The Jan transfer window creating a new team. And we finish the season gelling that one!

COYCB

Just now, JMSTEP123 said:

Incoming 8 rounds of "gelling". Another 8 rounds riddled with injury. The Jan transfer window creating a new team. And we finish the season gelling that one!

COYCB

I hate gelling as an excuse. There's some truth in it, but its nowhere near the factor some make it out to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

I hate gelling as an excuse. There's some truth in it, but its nowhere near the factor some make it out to me.

It seems to not be an issue for all teams which leaves two options.

1. Piss poor excuse

2. Doing something wrong in preseason

I am hopeful by round 1 the boys have that understanding between them. I also recognise how complex team dynamics can be. Even the best line ups make shit teams, and the best teams have shit individuals. Having said that.

Malik, Brattan, Fornaroli, Jamo and Bort. Hopefully creating a high performing culture where consistency and pride is evident. They are well gelled. Hopefully the boys can slot in for a successful campaign.

But yes. If I hear Joyce spouting gelling as a reason for piss poor performances I will flip.*

** complain on the forum. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

It seems to not be an issue for all teams which leaves two options.

1. Piss poor excuse

2. Doing something wrong in preseason

I am hopeful by round 1 the boys have that understanding between them. I also recognise how complex team dynamics can be. Even the best line ups make shit teams, and the best teams have shit individuals. Having said that.

Malik, Brattan, Fornaroli, Jamo and Bort. Hopefully creating a high performing culture where consistency and pride is evident. They are well gelled. Hopefully the boys can slot in for a successful campaign.

But yes. If I hear Joyce spouting gelling as a reason for piss poor performances I will flip.*

** complain on the forum. 

Tbf i think the fact we'll largely have the same team as last year will definitely help us be more cohesive, but i dont think 'gelling' was the reason we struggled at times last year either. IMO we gelled pretty well the entire season in terms of general play, but we a) struggled to take our chances that were presented to us at times, and b ) became quite predictable in attack and c) frequently had  bad individual errors costs us goals, often by players who had performed pretty well on the night overall.

PS : Delightful honesty haha

Edited by bt50

8 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Tbf i think the fact we'll largely have the same team as last year will definitely help us be more cohesive, but i dont think 'gelling' was the reason we struggled at times last year either. IMO we gelled pretty well the entire season in terms of general play, but we a) struggled to take our chances that were presented to us at times, and b ) became quite predictable in attack and c) frequently had  bad individual errors costs us goals, often by players who had performed pretty well on the night overall.

PS : Delightful honesty haha

Very true mate. Thinking back on it. La Roccas first few weeks were sensational. Those individual errors (2??) Cost us 6 points if my memory serves me right.

It was also different with Fornaroli out of the attack. But shit didnt rossy do well. *feellikeshitjustwanthimback

Just remembering Joyce saying "they dont have an understanding yet" in the press. Guess I equated that with gelling.

The new season cannot come quick enough tbh.

Edited by JMSTEP123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The other factor working in our favour is that Sydney and the Tards are having the core of their squads (and in the Tards' case, the whole squad) decimated. Perth have strengthened well and should be quite good but the grand final winners and the champions from last season should be considerably weaker.

Edited by Embee

Haz's wish list:

1. Arzani to stay (under cap)

2. Marquee CAM or CDM (I don't think Vidosic is best at CAM, if we want to be more attacking we can play both Marquee and Caceras)

3. Visa CB

4.Visa CDM

• Thanks 1

wouldnt have vidosic CAM, defs have caceres there over him

bouzanis

atko        visa        bort    jamo

malik/ brattan (if he is same form before he got injured if not brattan

mcgree/ caceres     marquee/ vidosic/ (one of the other two on the side)

arzani      bruno     halloran

i think we have to work with two attacking minded midfielders this season to take advantage of our attacking front

9 hours ago, Embee said:

lineup.png

Such a nice line up, but I wouldnt play Vidosic at CAM. If Arzani goes, he gets the RW spot

My team: (Yes there is a spelling error)

lineup(1).png.0473df8f92a1cabe29a24e2ec25c6989.png

Subs: Galekovic (GK), Delbridge (CB), Malik (CDM/CM), Caceras (CAM/RW), Vidosic (CAM/LW)
Res:  Delianov (GK), La Rocca (CB), Pierias (RB/LB), Wales (CM), Najjar/Najjarine/Cavallo (CAM/ST/RW)

My dream team:

lineup.png.11f18a897456f1050187419435639119.png

Subs: Galekovic (GK), Delbridge (CB), Malik (CDM/CM), Caceras (CAM/RW), Vidosic (CAM/LW)
Res:  Delianov (GK), La Rocca (CB), Pierias (RB/LB), Wales (CM), Najjar/Najjarine/Cavallo (CAM/ST/RW)