Melbourne Football

Best XI 2018/2019

Harrison

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I always find it interesting that the A-League rules specify that the squad must have "a minimum of two goalkeepers." What defines a "goalkeeper?" Could you, for example, have the equivalent of the "all-rounder" in cricket, i.e. someone who doubles as a GK and an outfield player? This guy could sit on the bench and be a pretty handy substitute. The number of times that a team requires to use the GK from the bench is pretty low.

Unless the rule are different from the rest of the world: A match is played by two teams, each with a maximum of eleven players; one must be the goalkeeper. A match may not start or continue if either team has fewer than seven players. The competition rules state that all players and substitutes must be named before kick-off. There is no reference to one must be a goalkeeper. I have seen teams play without a recognised goalkeeper on the bench. I have also seen this come undone when the goalkeeper gets injured. The rules state that a goalkeeper must wear a different coloured shirt. Therefore any out field player or substitute can play in goals as long as they change their shirt.

Edited by Inchcolm
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I always find it interesting that the A-League rules specify that the squad must have "a minimum of two goalkeepers." What defines a "goalkeeper?" Could you, for example, have the equivalent of the "all-rounder" in cricket, i.e. someone who doubles as a GK and an outfield player? This guy could sit on the bench and be a pretty handy substitute. The number of times that a team requires to use the GK from the bench is pretty low.

North Korea tried that in 2010 https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jun/03/north-korea-world-cup-goalkeeper-gamble but I'm sure if Sydney FC wanted to ffa would let them 

• Like 1

On 01/09/2018 at 3:36 PM, jw1739 said:

Better to have something and not need it then need something and not have it

9 minutes ago, haz said:

This is our XI from the 2016 FFA Cup final.

image.png.9f5794cf3763a23b40c3a2115209849d.png

Even without a marquee, or a guest marquee, our current squad right now is much better. Throw in Birighitti and a VISA CB makes our squad, IMO, the best we've ever had.

Only three of those players still at the club...

14 hours ago, haz said:

This is our XI from the 2016 FFA Cup final.

image.png.9f5794cf3763a23b40c3a2115209849d.png

Even without a marquee, or a guest marquee, our current squad right now is much better. Throw in Birighitti and a VISA CB makes our squad, IMO, the best we've ever had.

Out of this squad 

i would only think Jakobson & Brandan would be walk up starts in our current squad (of the players who have left)

Colazo dead ball ability was underrated imo 

Edited by Missing_Moy

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I'd go with Jakobsen and Kilkenny as locks.

I liked Killa but I don't think he's a walk-up start at all. Brattan and Griffiths are at least arguably as good as him if not better and I don't see him being a more dangerous CAM than McGree.

Jakobsen for sure, Brandan's a hard one as I haven't seen enough of O'Halloran or Florin to comment on that.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Embee said:

I liked Killa but I don't think he's a walk-up start at all. Brattan and Griffiths are at least arguably as good as him if not better and I don't see him being a more dangerous CAM than McGree.

Jakobsen for sure, Brandan's a hard one as I haven't seen enough of O'Halloran or Florin to comment on that.

Pretty much my thoughts. The idea of a walk-up start or lock is that they are unquestionably in that position. There's prob even a case that Jako isnt given we let him go.

For Kilkenny was the first player picked but ultimately I don't think he and Brattan combined. I still haven't seen enough of Griffiths yet. 

And if O'Halloran is equal to Brandan I'll be rapt. 

Not much difference in all. The difference though will be how they set up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Killer’s the best midfielder to pull on the jersey. 

Gee there were some good footballers in that cup winning team. Bit much to say a side that has played 2 games is “full of better players”.

Well hes got absolutely nothing on Mooy and imo Brattan is actually a better footballer.

Look i thought Killa was good, but imo he was also the source of a lot of our problems. That season we were well known to be 'lazy' in terms of tracking back and as much as people used to point at Cahill, i actually thought Killa was the main culprit. He got the rep at least in general public terms of being a chaser due to his determination when the ball was in his general vicinity and fair enough, but imo when the ball was away from him and someone else responsible for the ball carrier, he almost never went with the player making the run. True Cahill didnt either, but Cahill wasnt the DM so the emphasis wasnt as high.

He also didn't seem to particularly "pair" well with anyone. Tbf might not be his fault but nevertheless.

• Like 2

Yeah I was lazy and forgot about Mooy.

killer was always in the right spot. Didn’t need to run around like a chook with his head chopped off. Broke so much stuff down. I’ve never seen anyone else get close. 

Add to that was great on the ball etc etc.

anyway that’s  how I see it. Will never accept Wazza was right to bin him last year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Yeah I was lazy and forgot about Mooy.

killer was always in the right spot. Didn’t need to run around like a chook with his head chopped off. Broke so much stuff down. I’ve never seen anyone else get close. 

Add to that was great on the ball etc etc.

anyway that’s  how I see it. Will never accept Wazza was right to bin him last year.

I'd forgotten Kilkenny. Brandan, Budzinski, Kilkenny - all frozen out by Joyce last season. Not a good record IMO.

Didn't understand Carrusca either. Crowley, Roberts, Cahill also went mid-season.

On 05/09/2018 at 9:25 PM, bt50 said:

He got the rep at least in general public terms of being a chaser due to his determination when the ball was in his general vicinity and fair enough, but imo when the ball was away from him and someone else responsible for the ball carrier, he almost never went with the player making the run. True Cahill didnt either, but Cahill wasnt the DM so the emphasis wasnt as high.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on Wayne Shroj during the Heart days, during games I'd watch him and he would drive me insane with letting his man run past him and he'd just shout out to someone else to mark him as he ghosted into the box and it was too late.

• Like 1

I actually think Waz is going to change it up a bit this season.

Every game so far he has played with 3 CB's and then a full back plus we have a million mids again. IMO that means he is tweaking something with the structure of the formation. 

Edited by Dylan

25 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I actually think waz is going to change it a bit this season

Every game so far he has played with 3 CB's and then a full back. IMO that means he is tweaking something with the structure of the formation.

I doubt that either Atkinson or Jamieson (who I think is captain) will be left out.

If Waz was planning on playing 3 CBS and a FB in a back four then I would expect a 4-5-1 while defending. and a 3-4-3 while attacking. (Excuse my shitty formations)

4-5-1 (or whatever this is)

-------------------Birighitti-------------------

Delbridge----Bort--VISA----Jamieson

MOH/Vido---Griffiths---Brattan--Frenchy

-----------------McGree (defending)----------

---------------------------------Bruno---------------

3-4-3 (or whatever this is)

---------------------Birighitti-------------------

-----------Delbridge--Bort--VISA------------

-----------------------Griffiths--------------------

----------McGree--Brattan--Frenchy-----------

MOH/Vido------------Bruno----------Jamieson

Edited by haz

20 minutes ago, haz said:

I doubt that either Atkinson or Jamieson (who I think is captain) will be left out.

If Waz was planning on playing 3 CBS and a FB in a back four then I would expect a 4-5-1 while defending. and a 3-4-3 while attacking. (Excuse my shitty formations)

4-5-1 (or whatever this is)

-------------------Birighitti-------------------

Delbridge----Bort--VISA----Jamieson

MOH/Vido---Griffiths---Brattan--Frenchy

-----------------McGree (defending)----------

---------------------------------Bruno---------------

3-4-3 (or whatever this is)

---------------------Birighitti-------------------

-----------Delbridge--Bort--VISA------------

-----------------------Griffiths--------------------

----------McGree--Brattan--Frenchy-----------

MOH/Vido------------Bruno----------Jamieson

Every pre season game we have played with 3 cb and jamo. With Atkinson on the bench. When Jamison didn’t play. 3 cb’s Atkinson at LB. Not a coincidence imo

On 05/09/2018 at 9:25 PM, bt50 said:

Well hes got absolutely nothing on Mooy and imo Brattan is actually a better footballer.

Look i thought Killa was good, but imo he was also the source of a lot of our problems. That season we were well known to be 'lazy' in terms of tracking back and as much as people used to point at Cahill, i actually thought Killa was the main culprit. He got the rep at least in general public terms of being a chaser due to his determination when the ball was in his general vicinity and fair enough, but imo when the ball was away from him and someone else responsible for the ball carrier, he almost never went with the player making the run. True Cahill didnt either, but Cahill wasnt the DM so the emphasis wasnt as high.

He also didn't seem to particularly "pair" well with anyone. Tbf might not be his fault but nevertheless.

At the end of the day, whether we rated Killer or not (and I certainly did), it's hard to argue that he'd be a walk-up start in the starting XI with the current squad, considering what happened last year and that Joyce is still in charge. He either had major personal issues with Killer or didn't think much of him as a player at all.

9 hours ago, DukeVader said:

Whats the go with this O'halloran bloke? Anyone seen him play? He a certain starter over Wales?

IMO Wales is a good player but from what I’ve seen he’s a bit like Kamoooo gets into great areas and stuffs up the final ball! Plus I don’t wanna see a Visa wasted on the bench that’s why I think he’s a starter!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Albino       Bart      Del          Jam

Grif

Brats        McGree         

Ohal               Bruno                Floral

On paper (screen) that actually looks super. 

Including Birighitti thats 6 totally new starting players. 

Looking not too shaby

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Albino       Bart      Del          Jam

Grif

Brats        McGree         

Ohal               Bruno                Floral

"Albino" had me stumped for a while...you must have been in charge of nicknaming at your school.

• Like 1