Melbourne Football

Seasons over. Was it a pass/fail? Discuss.

Jovan

49 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Foxsports var cheerleaders really have nowhere to hide this time 

VAR also chose not to see the clear penalty on Arzani, nor the elbow to his head. I don't mind the idea of VAR, in fact, I support it. It manages to work quickly and uncontroversially in other sports like hockey, it isn't acceptable that it works sometimes. Was it working for Arzani's penalty call?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

VAR also chose not to see the clear penalty on Arzani, nor the elbow to his head. I don't mind the idea of VAR, in fact, I support it. It manages to work quickly and uncontroversially in other sports like hockey, it isn't acceptable that it works sometimes. Was it working for Arzani's penalty call?

Exactly...

Jets might be thinking about a rematch claim.

Obvious error topped up with VAR not available - whilst it should be available according to the rules. VAR calls in other leagues are still being called at half time. If a football team makes errors in let’s say playing wrong players, replays are granted - can’t see why not in this instance.

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Wasn’t the Arzani incident actually reviewed, a penalty was called for but the on field ref overruled the VAR? There’s lip reading imagining of him saying to the VAR upstairs “no penalty, Arzani is a diver”.

During the grand final VAR wasn’t available during the first parts of the game, which is almost like continue playing when the Ref has a broken whistle = against the rules.

Edited by Mr MO

49 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Jets might be thinking about a rematch claim.

Obvious error topped up with VAR not available - whilst it should be available according to the rules. VAR calls in other leagues are still being called at half time. If a football team makes errors in let’s say playing wrong players, replays are granted - can’t see why not in this instance.

If we replayed every game decided by a bad decision, we'd still be trying to complete Round 1

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

If we replayed every game decided by a bad decision, we'd still be trying to complete Round 1

It wasn’t a bad descision, just a malfunction a non decision at the most important game of the year -there is a reason the flag didn’t go up, linesman are told to let the VAR deal with close calls and play on so that upstairs can make the call,  to keep the flow going you see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

That's why the finals should be re-positioned as an end-of-season knockout Cup competition

Unless we can change our momentum at season's end, the result will be exactly the same. I don't like the finals, but we need to know how to play in that sort of tournament. No point in getting to the ACL unless we are better at it than we are currently. Rarely in our history have we put together four consecutive wins.

Edited by jw1739

Now that the dust has settled, ultimately a fail as I said at the start of the season that ACL qualification was the bare pass mark. IMO we made some good strides forward this season; quite often you need to take a step back to take a few good ones forward and i think we are now very well positioned, moreso than at any point in our history to have a real crack at one of the big two trophies. We had our highest ever finish and got as close to a GF berth as we have ever done as well.

We have a real emergence of youth in Arzani and Atkinson, as well as Genreau, Najjarine and now Danny De Silva to get crowds excited in 2018-19, we appear to have turned around our cultural issues (obviously subjective, but i feel the team's vibe is vastly different to that of 12 months ago) and we'll be heading into the new season with at this stage what appears to be our starting XI from the semi final largely retained, with cap space and visa slots to add to it.

On the negative side there obv remains the questions around the gaffer in his management of ego's and in some regards tactically, and the club will be hoping it can rekindle some of the interest that appears to be lost across the league this year, and the end result being that despite all our cultural 'progress' we still missed our set aim, albeit in circumstances that have never before eventuated in A League history.

So in the end, the season goes down as a fail, but with some very positive things to take out of the season.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Now that the dust has settled, ultimately a fail as I said at the start of the season that ACL qualification was the bare pass mark. IMO we made some good strides forward this season; quite often you need to take a step back to take a few good ones forward and i think we are now very well positioned, moreso than at any point in our history to have a real crack at one of the big two trophies. We had our highest ever finish and got as close to a GF berth as we have ever done as well.

We have a real emergence of youth in Arzani and Atkinson, as well as Genreau, Najjarine and now Danny De Silva to get crowds excited in 2018-19, we appear to have turned around our cultural issues (obviously subjective, but i feel the team's vibe is vastly different to that of 12 months ago) and we'll be heading into the new season with at this stage what appears to be our starting XI from the semi final largely retained, with cap space and visa slots to add to it.

On the negative side there obv remains the questions around the gaffer in his management of ego's and in some regards tactically, and the club will be hoping it can rekindle some of the interest that appears to be lost across the league this year, and the end result being that despite all our cultural 'progress' we still missed our set aim, albeit in circumstances that have never before eventuated in A League history.

So in the end, the season goes down as a fail, but with some very positive things to take out of the season.

As always, very well said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

I've had some time to compute the disappointment of not getting further in the Finals, not getting an ACL spot, and the often bizarre series of unfortunate events which led there. Perversely, I'm enormously optimistic that we can have a real crack next year, and I love the idea that we are building round youth and talent. So yes, probably a marginal fail this year, but actually some enormous progress laying the foundations for future success. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

images-2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/6/2018 at 1:36 PM, kingofhearts said:

First we get bundled out of the semis by the best goal in a league history and then we lose our acl spot to a goal that shouldn't of stood, and couldn't be reviewed because of technical difficulties! 

We. Are. Cursed

What i don't really understand is why the assistant referee on the far side kept his flag down when it was obvious to all and sundry the there were three Victory player who were standing offside and were still offside when the ball was kicked . Something smells fishy in the state of Denmark methinks. Everyone should take a close look at the replay .

39 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

What i don't really understand is why the assistant referee on the far side kept his flag down when it was obvious to all and sundry the there were three Victory player who were standing offside and were still offside when the ball was kicked . Something smells fishy in the state of Denmark methinks. Everyone should take a close look at the replay .

Because the ffa wanted to prove that teams outside the top 2 could actually win the grany...:ph34r:

3 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

I remember the foxsports team saying that the linesmen have be told not to call an offside until the ball is dead because the VAR will review it in case it is a goal.

Funny thing is even though their software was stuffed the fox footage clearly showed the offside. Surely they could have told the referee the check the fox vision at the time as the VAR wouldn't have led to a different conclusion than the fox vision would have.

They are just hopeless year after year.

TBH if I were the Jets stakeholders I would be taking this matter further.

But then why didn't the linesman speak to the ref when he heard that VAR was down and tell him that he saw that the goal was offside, he's standing in a perfect position to see it. Technology can fail, but the linesman is right there. 

Why did the ref overrule VAR on Arzani's penalty, VAR supposedly said that it was a penalty

17 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I remember the foxsports team saying that the linesmen have be told not to call an offside until the ball is dead because the VAR will review it in case it is a goal.

Funny thing is even though their software was stuffed the fox footage clearly showed the offside. Surely they could have told the referee the check the fox vision at the time as the VAR wouldn't have led to a different conclusion than the fox vision would have.

They are just hopeless year after year.

TBH if I were the Jets stakeholders I would be taking this matter further.

Couldn't do that IMO. There would be accusations that the VAR asked the opinion of the Fox commentators.

As I've posted elsewhere, too many steps in a process and the involvement of too many people is over-complicating refereeing decisions. K.I.S.S.

Speaking to a tard supporter who was at the game and he was in line with the players when the free kick was being set up, and he knew it was offside as soon as the free kick was taken. He didn’t even celebrate as he expected the goal to be ruled out. Said it was a hollow victory and the majority of the crowd (on both sides) was flat after the game.

18 hours ago, belaguttman said:

But then why didn't the linesman speak to the ref when he heard that VAR was down and tell him that he saw that the goal was offside, he's standing in a perfect position to see it. Technology can fail, but the linesman is right there. 

Why did the ref overrule VAR on Arzani's penalty, VAR supposedly said that it was a penalty

1. True, but I assume they were never told. 

2. Where did you hear that? 

That sounds a bit wrong. 

3 minutes ago, moops said:

1. True, but I assume they were never told. 

2. Where did you hear that? 

That sounds a bit wrong. 

It's been widely reported in the football media that the ref overruled the VAR but of course, because everyone was so caught up in the Jets (NSW) fairytale, nobody questioned the refs about this

4 hours ago, belaguttman said:

It's been widely reported in the football media that the ref overruled the VAR but of course, because everyone was so caught up in the Jets (NSW) fairytale, nobody questioned the refs about this

If true, that's worse than the tards offside goal, at least they had a 'technical problem'.

13 hours ago, belaguttman said:

The field ref is the boss, but if he decides to overrule the VAR then he should give a public explanation after the game. FFA started doing that for a few games this season but then stopped doing it

Because they were basically admitting themselves that they were incompetent and didn't have a clue.

FFA need to understand that when refs are the discussion piece week after week then it is a bad bad thing for the game, very destructive to the integrity of the game.

I have been on about this for years, we should get marquee refs from Asia.

FFA went into a trial of a Video Assisted Referee without thinking through the detail. Importantly, it did not clearly spell out who was actually in charge of the match and wielded the ultimate authority. Hence we saw the VAR gradually begin to exercise influence over the On-Field Referee leading up to the review about half-way through the season and the new set of instructions that were issued at that time. However, as we saw in the finals, the VAR again began to wield more influence over the OFR as the second half of the season unfolded.

AFAIK the clear instruction is that the OFR should only call for the opinion of the VAR if he is uncertain about a particular decision. In other words, the VAR should not be involved in decision-making until and unless asked by the OFR.

Just another fuck-up by FFA acting to the detriment of football in Australia.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Need to just have a 3 strike challenge system that the coaches can utilise. Similar to hawk eye in the tennis, or challenge system in the nfl. Successful challenges allows you to keep the challenge / unsuccessful challenge loses you one.

Simples.

It works with tennis cause 1) there is an automatic 20 seconds between points 2) the line call is instantaneous and not up for discrepancy. Unlike football that has no breaks and is extremely opinionated. The other part is implementing this 'challenge system' would delay the most obvious decisions that should never be reviewed by VARS. For example imagine the most blatant handle ball results in a penalty. Everyone knows it is a pen but the manager decides to utilise it becasue he can, thus delaying time again. And football being open to interpretation means many times the delay would be too great.

I reckon @jw1739 touches on some key points. However for me it comes down to the mindset of the VARS going into this so called 'trial' period.  I think they went into the season looking for opportunities to utilise it rather than trying to minimise it's use unless absolutely needed. 

The second and not often discussed issue is the sponsorship connection which ties in with the above as well. Maccas obviously has a vested interest in helping support the setup and running of the VARS and they in turn would want exposure from its use. This contradicts, or should contradict the true purpose of VARS. To me it should be completely independent and free from advertisement and financial gain of any third parties. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well said @n i k o. Excellent points. And I must confess that I hadn't realised that the VAR is sponsored. That's just disgraceful.

Maybe we can have Chucky Chook sponsor penalty decisions next season, or hand our Red Roosters instead of red cards?

Edited by belaguttman

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

FFA went into a trial of a Video Assisted Referee without thinking through the detail. Importantly, it did not clearly spell out who was actually in charge of the match and wielded the ultimate authority. Hence we saw the VAR gradually begin to exercise influence over the On-Field Referee leading up to the review about half-way through the season and the new set of instructions that were issued at that time. However, as we saw in the finals, the VAR again began to wield more influence over the OFR as the second half of the season unfolded.

AFAIK the clear instruction is that the OFR should only call for the opinion of the VAR if he is uncertain about a particular decision. In other words, the VAR should not be involved in decision-making until and unless asked by the OFR.

Just another fuck-up by FFA acting to the detriment of football in Australia.

Without meaning to defend FFA, they have implemented VAR according to IFAB rules, part of the problem may be that FFA have ineptly implemented inept rules around VAR useage