Melbourne Football

SF @ Newcastle, 7.50 pm Fri April 27

mattyh001

Post your thoughts here.

We have the form against them this season, and the 8-2 against the worst A League team this season has smoothed over the cracks in the Newcastle machine that's been poor for 4+ weeks.

Then again, I don't trust us through past finals history, and finals football means you if mess up you are out - no second chances

20 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

I swear to christ Jakobsen (if healthy) better be starting in CB over Malik.

I worry that because Joyce has the biggest hard on for Malik he'll still play him over Jakobsen

Malik deserves a start over Jakobsen.

But hopefully the decision will be made sometime Thursday and whoever gets the nod will be the strongest. 

All other positions for me are set. It will just depend on the bench. Fitzy now is 12th man or first sub. I still think Budzinski offers a difference and then some defensive cover, Jakobsen if Malik starts or vice versa and that just leaves Delbridge or Muscat. And I'd probably go Muscat especially if we need a goal😀.

But going into this final I reackon we are in the best position we've ever been to make the granny but it won't be easy. 1 mistake will probably decide the game. 

This is how we lined up in Newcastle on 1 April when we won 3 nil. That's pretty much the same line up we had on Friday night except Malik on for Jako. This will be a test for the boys to block out the noise from the home support and just focus on the things that have got us this far. If that happens we'll win and Wazza's clean out of the side will be vindicated.

26751962237_6b1574eeef_b.jpg

16 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Malik deserves a start over Jakobsen. 

Why is that? Average against Wellington and decent against Brisbane? Does that mean we bench our captain if fit?

Jakobsen has played every game until recent and belongs to our strongest 11. Malik is still Malik and plays out of position.

The reason for Wazza's love for Malik is that he came in and saw that he was quiet, low on confidence and he saw the potential. Malik was getting hated on weekly despite being a great guy and decent player, Waz decided to boost his confidence by playing him and it's done wonders.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, n i k o said:

The reality is Brisbane registered 4 shots, 0 on target, no shots blocked and no big chances. They were downright awful and even suggesting this game is any indication that Malik should be ahead of Jakobsen is mind boggling. 

Jakobsen's last game was average, Maliks last was outstanding. I'm a firm supporter of not changing a winning team (regardless of the player being miles ahead individually) therefore no change.

Malik starts CB vs Newcastle unless this week Jakobsen during training this week proves to be a no brainer.

If Jakobsen is fit, I'm playing him but I'm playing Malik over Bozanic. Reason being is everything that's good for Newcastle comes through the middle and petratos or Vargas. We need to play a proper defensive midfielder against them, just to break up their play. Odonovan is a good player but relies on service, doesn't exactly make goals himself

Bozanic will be stiff to miss out but that's the way I'd go 

43 minutes ago, neio said:

If Jakobsen is fit, I'm playing him but I'm playing Malik over Bozanic. Reason being is everything that's good for Newcastle comes through the middle and petratos or Vargas. We need to play a proper defensive midfielder against them, just to break up their play. Odonovan is a good player but relies on service, doesn't exactly make goals himself

Bozanic will be stiff to miss out but that's the way I'd go 

Geez Bozanic played his best game for us IMO would be very stiff to miss out but I agree with your reasoning 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jovan said:

Jakobsen's last game was average, Maliks last was outstanding. I'm a firm supporter of not changing a winning team (regardless of the player being miles ahead individually) therefore no change.

Malik starts CB vs Newcastle unless this week Jakobsen during training this week proves to be a no brainer.

We'll have to agree to disagree Jovan. I'm of the mantra about not changing a winning team as well. However I can't take last game as indication that Malik is suddenly a different centre back to every other time he's struggled there due to Brisbanes complete ineptitude (IMO it was one of Brisbanes worst performers for the entire season). Anyway we shall see what happens.

• Like 4

Can someone confirm the yellow card situation? Is it true if you get two yellows in the finals series you miss out the next game? If true, we have Vidosic, Arzani and Schenkenveld on yellows.

And seems as though Jakobson is ruled out.

Edited by Tony999

49 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Can someone confirm the yellow card situation? Is it true if you get two yellows in the finals series you miss out the next game? If true, we have Vidosic, Arzani and Schenkenveld on yellows.

And seems as though Jakobson is ruled out.

Looks like it’s 3 so is irrelevant to the finals series just means players may miss games next season!

what makes you think jako is ruled out ? 

3C73B91C-3DF2-4D29-A03A-658B781C293B.jpeg

Yeah it’s on Saturday. Hopefully that’s a bit of Vic influence at FFA. More organisations’ govenence should be taken out of NSW they always turn out hiring muppets and turning into basket cases.

btw Malik should be replaced with Jackobsen. Malik was exposed at CB against Wellington and got an easy ride against Brisbane. We all know he is a liability in the CB position 

23 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Yeah it’s on Saturday. Hopefully that’s a bit of Vic influence at FFA. More organisations’ govenence should be taken out of NSW they always turn out hiring muppets and turning into basket cases.

btw Malik should be replaced with Jackobsen. Malik was exposed at CB against Wellington and got an easy ride against Brisbane. We all know he is a liability in the CB position 

Judging by Wazzas comments it will depend on how Jakobsen pulls up today with his thigh strain. 

For those not able to make it out to the game, the club/Melburnians are inviting everyone to make it out to The Imperial to watch the game. There will be free pizza, merchandise giveaways as well as 15% off all food and drink to all City members (membership required). Would be great to see as many people there as possible.

15 minutes ago, IssySG said:

For those not able to make it out to the game, the club/Melburnians are inviting everyone to make it out to The Imperial to watch the game. There will be free pizza, merchandise giveaways as well as 15% off all food and drink to all City members (membership required). Would be great to see as many people there as possible.

age restriction ?