Melbourne Football

Elimination final. City vs Brisbane Friday 20th of April 7.50 Ko AAMI Park

Forever City

I thought a great team performance. Thoroughly deserved win, with two super goals from Mauk and Fitzy - the latter an absolute classic. Thought we were very solid in defence except for 5 minutes of heart flutters towards the end. We harassed and chased in midfield all night, but lack just a little bit of cutting edge up front.

Well done boys. A good night for City.

For mine its a sad day in Yarraside/Melburnians/Bay 17 history when a majority of the terrace boo and ridicule some of the loudest, most passionate and long-standing active supporters for lighting a flare. There are certainly lots more distasteful and dangerous things that people say and do in the terrace than making it temporarily smokey.

It wasnt long ago that the terrace was united towards a match-day atmosphere that made coming to the soccer unique. 

Perhaps next year, when finals attendances drop even lower than 7000, the people who booed  tonight will realise that by alienating the supporters putting the most effort into the terrace atmosphere, that they (along with heavy-handed FFA match day regulation) are responsible for the continuing decline of Aleague match-day atmospheres and crowds.

I'd encourage anyone who disagrees with this post to have a google for some old melbourne heart/Yarraside highlights reels and compare tonight with the size, volume, colour, visual displays and embracing of flares that characterised the first four seasons of bay 17 (all achieved supporting a team that never finished higher than 6th). Even old NT/RBB footage and MV/WSW crowds would be worth comparing to comprehend the extent of the declining atmospheres and crowds across the league.

- A sad foundation active supporter 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, LRobinson said:

For mine its a sad day in Yarraside/Melburnians/Bay 17 history when a majority of the terrace boo and ridicule some of the loudest, most passionate and long-standing active supporters for lighting a flare. There are certainly lots more distasteful and dangerous things that people say and do in the terrace than making it temporarily smokey.

It wasnt long ago that the terrace was united towards a match-day atmosphere that made coming to the soccer unique. 

Perhaps next year, when finals attendances drop even lower than 7000, the people who booed  tonight will realise that by alienating the supporters putting the most effort into the terrace atmosphere, that they (along with heavy-handed FFA match day regulation) are responsible for the continuing decline of Aleague match-day atmospheres and crowds.

I'd encourage anyone who disagrees with this post to have a google for some old melbourne heart/Yarraside highlights reels and compare tonight with the size, volume, colour, visual displays and embracing of flares that characterised the first four seasons of bay 17 (all achieved supporting a team that never finished higher than 6th). Even old NT/RBB footage and MV/WSW crowds would be worth comparing to comprehend the extent of the declining atmospheres and crowds across the league.

The kids at the front right of the active are wankers. Piss off. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Embee said:

lol, the pissants who were responsible for the flare are anything but what you've described there. More like self-interested little pricks who have been around 5 minutes, turn up whenever they like and are more concerned about their own reputation and image above the atmosphere of active or the enjoyment of others.

Whether you like flares or not doesn't matter, the fact is they're illegal and terraces are being punished heavily for the use of them, a great example of that tonight was when the real hard working supporters who put effort into the leadership and maintenance of the terrace had most of their equipment removed because some little shit in the front two rows wanted his 30 seconds of fun dancing around around in the smoke.

Times have changed, the governing bodies are coming down harder on these actions, again, whether people agree with that or not is immaterial, it's simply the reality of the matter. The fact is that these fans have two options; understand that these restrictions are there and that breaking them will only lead to punishment for their team and fellow fans and make the decision to cease the behaviour OR selfishly continue the behaviour and let everyone else wear the negative outcomes of an Active Area without flags, megaphones or capo stands...but hey, at least they get to rip their flares right?

Couldn't agree with you more. The little farts towards the bottom right is the reason why l don't go near Active Support anymore. Don't get me wrong, I've been to many Eastern European games and love flares but it's illegal here. Reason why l did not support the tards is because of their wannabe hooligans. Seems like we have a few of those of our own.

• Like 5

Lol after everything that has happend regarding flares, i dont understand how people are STILL justifying their use??? I love them and think they are unique to football culture, but to be honest, im just sick of fkn hearing about them the morning after on the news as its an easy way to have a crack at our game, and as stated above, it does the terrace more harm than good, which is WHY you fucking retards get boo’ed. So dont give us a bullshit sob story about how people boo you, because at the end of the day you fuckwits only give fuel to those that want the game to suffer. Move on, if you want to rip pyro, buy a boat, deliberately thrash it till its sinking in the ocean, and rip flares till your hearts content. Dick heads. 

Edited by Victards
typo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

A good win, we dominated the game apart from a 10 minute spell after our first goal.

Positives:

Looking much more fluent in attack and especially in transition

Generally better movement off the ball (note to the Brattan critics - last night that's why he didn't dwell on the ball too long)

Intelligent pressing for much of the game, Roar barely had a completed pass in the first half

Bort really is the best defender in the League

Good game from Jamieson

Atmosphere sounded good on TV

The look on Bambi's face at the end of the game.

Negatives:

Arzani needs to back himself more to shoot rather than walk the ball into the goal

On another night we could have had 4 or 5 goals, our profligacy left us vulnerable right until the end of the game, I was expecting the usual outcome

At the end of the game, I was disappointed that I couldn't go

8 hours ago, rass said:

Awesome performance with outstanding pressure. I thought Mauk set the tone early with some amazing run downs. Thoroughly deserved and kudos to coaching staff also for getting them up. 

Onto Aloisi. Probably the most inept coaching performance I've ever seen, given the talent at his disposal. No structure whatsoever. You can play counter attack, but his style was so Heart days. A few passes in defence and then a blind hack forward. For someone who not long ago whinged about our anti football, his performance was a disgrace and had zero answers to the pressure we put on them.

I hope we never see this joker on a pitch again. Please go away and back to spunging off your 2006 teammates success.

"The boys were just unlucky"

Edited by belaguttman

7 hours ago, LRobinson said:

Dude..........🤨

Flares are ILLEGAL........illegal.........I...FUCKING...LLEGAL

The terrace just needs some stronger leadership to create the colour and noise you talk of and it doesnt need flares. 

I agree that the terrace is absolutely disjointed at the moment, but why dont the splinter groups that are so noisy actual sing and inline with the Capo and at seasons end maybe put there hands up to have a crack at the top job? Maybe have a crack yourself.

This does need to be resolved but illeagal flares is not the answer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LRobinson said:

Yeah, right. So it's OK when we get fined, docked points, kicked out of finals, kicked out of Asia? Are your wanky flares that important? My footballing teeth were cut in the UK in the early eighties when dickhead hoolies nearly destroyed the game there, and it was already much stronger there than here. You want to be fenced in on the terrace? The same fences that meant that 96 Liverpool supporters died at Hillsborough because fans couldn't escape an overcrowded terrace? Never mind booze bans and being herded around by police like criminals?

Tell you what, stick your flares up your arse before you light them. 

Ps, stuck at home with a filthy cold, but the active sounded awesome on TV. Best all season. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Funny part from last night - I was sitting behind the bench when Brattan was down getting his leg checked. Kisnorbo was trying to whisper something to Arzani - Franjic was trying to push in and listen with a massive grin on his face and Kisnorbo was trying not to crack up. As Ivan was walking away Paddy gave him a squirt with the waterbottle in the back and he fake remonstrated with the 4th Official who pretended he didn’t see it.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, LRobinson said:

It's ok chap, we've all been there...

images (3).jpeg

Good game from the team. Dominated every aspect of the game. Aloisi has no clue and watching Brisbane's efforts gave me bad memories of Aloisi's time with us, very dark days.

So happy for Mauk and Fitzy because if we are going to win the final we really need to these non core players to lift and nothing is better than scoring goals.

As for the flare, well it's wrong and not acceptable but to draw a comparison with UK hoolies in the 80s is a bit far fetched. But anyway, the rules are there so if you care for the club's success, then they shouldn't be lit.

Looked pretty cool though.

IMG_20180421_110648.thumb.jpg.e267df6cc03e380fcd700e027e9c13e1.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Good game from the team. Dominated every aspect of the game. Aloisi has no clue and watching Brisbane's efforts gave me bad memories of Aloisi's time with us, very dark days.

So happy for Mauk and Fitzy because if we are going to win the final we really need to these non core players to lift and nothing is better than scoring goals.

As for the flare, well it's wrong and not acceptable but to draw a comparison with UK hoolies in the 80s is a bit far fetched. But anyway, the rules are there so if you care for the club's success, then they shouldn't be lit.

Looked pretty cool though.

No, he's not doing that, simply pointing out that tolerating what might turn out to be the thin end of a nasty wedge is not the way to go. Although I watched non-league football for the most part, I too saw what happened to English football as per @fensaddler and I don't want our football to go anywhere near what that was like.

I was at the game (Bay 19) and to me Active sounded fine. MrsJW said it was one of our best-ever matches. Crowds will build when we win more consistently and start to resonate with the Melbourne public, which we haven't done so far. We certainly won't attract bigger crowds using flares.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I watched non-league football for the most part, I too saw what happened to English football as per @fensaddler and I don't want our football to go anywhere near what that was like.

Its not comparable JW, sorry but I disagree.

I am not saying that the behavior is a good thing, but comparing it to that time is a very very very far stretch and a massive over-reaction.

5 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Its not comparable JW, sorry but I disagree.

I am not saying that the behavior is a good thing, but comparing it to that time is a very very very far stretch and a massive over-reaction.

Plenty of people saying that there is a wannabe hoolie element in active, most concerned about looking nawtie. They'll bring down the same sort of punitive reaction from the authorities that we saw in the 80s in the UK, and which had all sorts of negative ramifications for the reputation of the game and the fan experience. Because I've seen where it ends up, I've no desire to start on what jw1739 rightly called a slippery slope. Soccer in Australia has its problems, but we should value that it is safe, and largely devoid of violence, racism and hooliganism.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fensaddler said:

but we should value that it is safe, and largely devoid of violence, racism and hooliganism.

Oh please, the A league has always been devoid of this and these aspects of the crowd will always be around, and as one group falls another will rise, it's just the nature of human behaviour and the game world wide.

It takes a lot more than a few snotty nosed kids to bring the game into disrepute. I think you just need to chill a bit.

Not too sure about the comments concerning getting kicked out of Asia or the Finals, something which has never happened-- understand getting angry if a flare's ripped during the season but that's because it sets a precedent for the rest of the season, ie fines/docking points/reduced active support implements like flags.  Finals though, just fire up and flow with the energy. Jesus.

When "safe flares" are introduced by the FFA everyone's gonna be turning around and calling the dickheads sickcunts, in colloquial terms

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Oh please, the A league has always been devoid of this and these aspects of the crowd will always be around, and as one group falls another will rise, it's just the nature of human behaviour and the game world wide.

It takes a lot more than a few snotty nosed kids to bring the game into disrepute. I think you just need to chill a bit.

How long have you been following the A-League? One season? Two?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

Not too sure about the comments concerning getting kicked out of Asia or the Finals, something which has never happened-- understand getting angry if a flare's ripped during the season but that's because it sets a precedent for the rest of the season, ie fines/docking points/reduced active support implements like flags.  Finals though, just fire up and flow with the energy. Jesus.

When "safe flares" are introduced by the FFA everyone's gonna be turning around and calling the dickheads sickcunts, in colloquial terms

You know these kind of ramifications go beyond one season right? It's not just wiped clean come seasons end like yellow cards rofl.

But just flow with the energy ay brah be a sickcunt :up:

Atmosphere was one the best it has been all season (from bay 15 POV).  We didn't need the flare (ripped at such a nothing moment anyway), and tbh it had a mostly negative effect. Thanks to the non-aids members of active for their hard work. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, bellydrum said:

You know these kind of ramifications go beyond one season right? It's not just wiped clean come seasons end like yellow cards rofl.

But just flow with the energy ay brah be a sickcunt :up:

Atmosphere was one the best it has been all season (from bay 15 POV).  We didn't need the flare (ripped at such a nothing moment anyway), and tbh it had a mostly negative effect. Thanks to the non-aids members of active for their hard work. 

Yeah but it wasn't actually that bad, the timing was one of irrelevance. We'll talk again next season and see the long term effects of this one incident. And yeah flow with the energy, what's your problem with that? Too much stress in your life?

15 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Always found it a bit weird that there are old dads on an Internet forum....

Why? The Internet, and forums, have been around for best part of a quarter century. And you don't give up having opinions, or being passionate about issues, just because you've made it past thirty, or fifty, or seventy. One day you'll understand. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

I can't see that we disagree on the first point. We both accept that the A league is a safe environment and we want to keep it that way. 

But it could only take a few snotty nosed kids to bring the game into disrepute. You know as well as I do that there are people in the media only too keen to paint soccer in a bad light given half a chance. A few flares ripped and we're the enemies of civilisation on the front page of the Herald Sun. 

• Like 2

On 4/21/2018 at 1:56 PM, Dylan said:

Always found it a bit weird that there are old dads on an Internet forum....

Just remember that what you see on YouTube that you think is legendary, we were there or lived it. The hooligans of the 80 all around Europe was serious stuff and real where parts of the cities were war zones. The NSL, that I was a part of, was nothing like the sterility of the A-League even though in the early years the old NSL morons tried.

And BTW the internet is not new buddy, chat boards were around when I was using 14k dial up connections.

Edited by playmaker

Hey kids, speaking as an active supporter from Heart days: take your flares and shove them right up your schoolboy buttholes.

we don't want them

we don't need them

ditto you, shitheads

and if you don't like that, do not renew membership, you crybaby cretins.

**and for any readers in ANY doubt, I was there last night surrounded by longstanding Melburnians, and 95% booed the shirt out of these idiots**. 

4 hours ago, Forever City said:

Melburnians are officially dead (I know some of you would say it's been dead for a few years but last night was the final straw). 

and this guy calls himself ''Forever CIty''...... oh my gawd, the Comedy Festival got extended, right?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CityWildcat said:

and this guy calls himself ''Forever CIty''...... oh my gawd, the Comedy Festival got extended, right?

What is that supposed to mean? Did I ever say that flares were good? All that I was pointing out is that from what I can gather from speaking to people close to leadership group they said that M14 is finished that's all.

7 minutes ago, Forever City said:

What is that supposed to mean? Did I ever say that flares were good? All that I was pointing out is that from what I can gather from speaking to people close to leadership group they said that M14 is finished that's all.

Relax, everyone says that every year

• Like 1