Melbourne Football

Elimination final. City vs Brisbane Friday 20th of April 7.50 Ko AAMI Park

Forever City

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Are we certain that he was dropped - or could he have been injured? Jakobsen was also missing - in his case we're fairly certain it would be to allow him more time to recover from his minor strain (or whatever it is), but I haven't seen anything about him.

Certain? No. Hence the 'if' and 'all signs pointing to'. Of course its entirely possible that there was a training injury the day before etc, but on the exposed facts and the usual processes that occur, it would appear the most likely he was dropped.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Originalmeme said:

Ive just rewatched budz goals and highlights. It a real shame this guy didnt get to play this season, I think with him in the XI, we would be nearly certain to at least make the gf.  I can hope but i doubt he will start against brisbane

Nah I'm not sold on him. His goals are decent. But the question is who would you drop to fit him in.

Mauk? Mauk has been huge off the ball and has been improving lately with the ball, just his finishing is shit and thats the only area Budz is better.

Vidosic? In all areas Vidosic is ahead of Budz.

Arzani? No chance.

Bruno? More chance in suffering a chainsaw injury.

Brattan Malik or Bozanic are all playing deeper and not comparable. 

So from where I see it its Mauk, and the system that Wazza has set up it doesn't suit Budz (and Carusca if he stayed) and unfortunately unless there is a massive change Budz will be lucky to make the squad.  

21 minutes ago, Originalmeme said:

Ive just rewatched budz goals and highlights. It a real shame this guy didnt get to play this season, I think with him in the XI, we would be nearly certain to at least make the gf.  I can hope but i doubt he will start against brisbane

Budz highlights are as good as any but its his lowlights where he goes missing for 45 minutes that cause him to not be in our side!

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Nah I'm not sold on him. His goals are decent. But the question is who would you drop to fit him in.

Mauk? Mauk has been huge off the ball and has been improving lately with the ball, just his finishing is shit and thats the only area Budz is better.

Vidosic? In all areas Vidosic is ahead of Budz.

Arzani? No chance.

Bruno? More chance in suffering a chainsaw injury.

Brattan Malik or Bozanic are all playing deeper and not comparable. 

So from where I see it its Mauk, and the system that Wazza has set up it doesn't suit Budz (and Carusca if he stayed) and unfortunately unless there is a massive change Budz will be lucky to make the squad.  

Pretty much, Bud only really suits us when we are chasing a game, which hasnt happened in the last month at all except Saturday. Now i'm speculating, but i would suggest that an outbound Kamau coming in for Bud on Saturday probably indicates some sort of a drop off in training intensity, or an altercation with either player or coach. I reckon there's every chance his card has been marked and he'll be let go at the end of the season.

I dont agree that mauk is better or more useful to the purposes of the way we are playing at the moment.  Maybe he works harder, maybe he is getting better creating things and does pitch in the odd assist or goal however I believe sometimes its better to have a player in the middle of the park that has the ability to change the game momentarily (ninkovic).  We all love arzani because he is unpredictable. He runs at players and has the trait of natural ability.  I think budz could be in the similiar vein. The times he has been on the park, he often does very delicate runs or passes that could and usually should be capitalised on by the rest of the team.  I even see sometimes the team doesnt take advantage of arzanis plays, when he beats two players and plays a perfect cross.  Personally, I like the way budz plays. He should never have been bought if he was never going to be used for the player he is. The worst thing I can think of as a coach is asking for a player to not play his own game or putting shackles on them.  I just think its such a shame.  I think someone like Bruno would really benefit from someone like Budz on the field. Brattan, budz and bozanic I think would be the best midfield in the league.

1 minute ago, Originalmeme said:

I dont agree that mauk is better or more useful to the purposes of the way we are playing at the moment.  Maybe he works harder, maybe he is getting better creating things and does pitch in the odd assist or goal however I believe sometimes its better to have a player in the middle of the park that has the ability to change the game momentarily (ninkovic).  We all love arzani because he is unpredictable. He runs at players and has the trait of natural ability.  I think budz could be in the similiar vein. The times he has been on the park, he often does very delicate runs or passes that could and usually should be capitalised on by the rest of the team.  I even see sometimes the team doesnt take advantage of arzanis plays, when he beats two players and plays a perfect cross.  Personally, I like the way budz plays. He should never have been bought if he was never going to be used for the player he is. The worst thing I can think of as a coach is asking for a player to not play his own game or putting shackles on them.  I just think its such a shame.  I think someone like Bruno would really benefit from someone like Budz on the field. Brattan, budz and bozanic I think would be the best midfield in the league.

Pretty clear to me that there was a total disconnect between the specifications given to CFG on the type of marquee we were after and the preferences of the manager we ultimately appointed. A fuck-up in other words. We've gone the whole season with, in effect, just three visa players - Bruno/Ross, Jakobsen and Schenkeveld.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The two previous home Elimination Finals were against Perth. Both were on a Sunday. 17/4/16 we drew 11,273, 23/4/17 we drew 9,944.

My guess is something similar to the above.

11,273  ~ 2015/16

9 ,944   ~2016/17

8 ,615   ~2017/18      

Fair prediction ?

27 minutes ago, rass said:

It's a final. FFS, every one should get their arse there and get behind the boys.

No time for peeps who get on here and find everything to whinge about, including crowds, who in the end won't bother to even get to the game.

Remember back when in school (I do anyway) you would be given a few words to which you would have to create a story or essay with..anyway I wish I had the above bolded words for this club. Could write a thesis on this. 

• Like 2

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Dean BOUZANIS (gk), 2.Manny MUSCAT, 3. Scott JAMIESON, 4. Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 6.Osama MALIK, 7. Nick FITZGERALD, 8.Oliver BOZANIC, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 11.Bruce Kamau, 13. Stefan MAUK, 14.Daniel ARZANI, 18. Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 22. Michael JAKOBSEN, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 26. Luke BRATTAN, 27. Marcin BUDZINSKI, 37.Nathaniel ATKINSON

Ins: 22.Michael JAKOBSEN (returns from injury), 27.Marcin BUDZINSKI (promoted)

Outs: nil

Unavailable: nil

Jako in

For me the CCM team with Malik on bench for Muscat, although wouldnt be against Ossie for Bozanic in the 11 tho

48 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Dean BOUZANIS (gk), 2.Manny MUSCAT, 3. Scott JAMIESON, 4. Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 6.Osama MALIK, 7. Nick FITZGERALD, 8.Oliver BOZANIC, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 11.Bruce Kamau, 13. Stefan MAUK, 14.Daniel ARZANI, 18. Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 22. Michael JAKOBSEN, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 26. Luke BRATTAN, 27. Marcin BUDZINSKI, 37.Nathaniel ATKINSON

Ins: 22.Michael JAKOBSEN (returns from injury), 27.Marcin BUDZINSKI (promoted)

Outs: nil

Unavailable: nil

Jako in

For me the CCM team with Malik on bench for Muscat, although wouldnt be against Ossie for Bozanic in the 11 tho

Only see Marcin making into the bench and playing the last 20 or 30 minutes...or ET/Pens

17 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

I think he would be a hell of a lot better off the bench than Kamau.

He does look better when we're chasing the game or needing the winning goal.

Forget Kamau, Budzinksi works well with Mauk as seen on our last game against the roar...in other words I’d sub Vidosic for Budders than Arzani

5 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

I’d love for us to line up like this with Dario playing in the #10 role take the game to Brisbane from the start as they will sit back and look to counter 

Bench of Eugene, mauk, Ollie, Muscat budz 

687BB62B-12E5-4ED7-8914-B797E34E57A3.jpeg

Pretty much this line-up. Though it feels a bit unusual leaving Mauk out for fitzy.

Weren't people on here saying Bozanic was a winger at some point? Would that be a better option?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, malloy said:

Pretty much this line-up. Though it feels a bit unusual leaving Mauk out for fitzy.

Weren't people on here saying Bozanic was a winger at some point? Would that be a better option?

I'm pretty sure he was a Winger/CAM in his time at Central Coast, I would be tempted to give him a go out wide instead of Fitzy and chuck Malik back into CM. I don't think I'd be dropping Mauk though, his defensive efforts were a large part of the strong run we were on prior to the Wellington game.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Embee said:

I'm pretty sure he was a Winger/CAM in his time at Central Coast, I would be tempted to give him a go out wide instead of Fitzy and chuck Malik back into CM. I don't think I'd be dropping Mauk though, his defensive efforts were a large part of the strong run we were on prior to the Wellington game.

Tried fitting Mauk in but couldn’t find a position for him 

1 hour ago, Missing_Moy said:

I’d love for us to line up like this with Dario playing in the #10 role take the game to Brisbane from the start as they will sit back and look to counter 

Bench of Eugene, mauk, Ollie, Muscat budz 

687BB62B-12E5-4ED7-8914-B797E34E57A3.jpeg

We haven't played 4231. We play more of a 433 and early on with 2 6s now we are playing with 2 8s. So a front 3 of Arzani Bruno Vidosic is a lock. The only conjecture will be weather Malik starts, and most likely instead of Bozanic. 

So I see a midfield unchanged of Mauk Brattan and Bozanic. And the back 4 of Jamo Jako Bart and Atkinson. 

Bench of Galekovic Malik Fitzy Muscat and probably Budz.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Originalmeme said:

Im not going to lie, i havent seen a lot of the recent games. How has vidosic been doing? is he good enough to be in that creative role? heard through social media posts he was adapting to a 'target man' role? have i been mislead?

I think Vidosic is best suited to a second striker/high #10 role and I feel he is wasted on the wing. 

• Like 3

On 4/16/2018 at 3:15 PM, bt50 said:

Won't be able to get to this one sadly but reasonably confident. 2-0 win with Arzani and Bruno to score, and Hingert to cop two yellows and get marched.

Have you finally succumbed to the ongoing roadworks on the Western Freeway?