Melbourne Football

Round 27 vs Wellington Phoenix - Sat April 14th in Auckland

mattyh001

Post your thoughts here.

Nix players are playing for contracts, and have given us trouble in the past so don't see this as an easy win after the CCM game

On a side note i'm on holidays in NZ atm, and will be at the game so any one else going is welcome to catch up for a pre game beverage (or three)

25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We'll have the advantage of knowing the result of the Sydney-Victory match the day before. Victory have to win their last two matches to overtake us.

We are absolutely in the box seat to take third position.

They looked flat last night. But if Victory, by some chance, win their last two, we should have all the motivation we need. But I suspect this may well be a dead rubber. 

Incidentally if we do finish third, is there a definite date set for our elimination final? 

28 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

They looked flat last night. But if Victory, by some chance, win their last two, we should have all the motivation we need. But I suspect this may well be a dead rubber. 

Incidentally if we do finish third, is there a definite date set for our elimination final? 

@fensaddler At this stage I think all we know is that the Elimination Finals are to be played "20th-22nd April."

Last season 3rd vs. 6th was played on the Friday night, and 4th vs. 5th on the Sunday night. we might guess that the same will apply this season.

Ss https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_A-League#Elimination-finals

• Thanks 1

The visit0rs come from behind to beat Nix, I wonder whether we would have had that desire to win? It doesn't change anything though, it's better that our fate is in our own hands anyway. It'll be a good test of how we function under pressure, we are just as likely to fold as we have always done and lose to Nix as the visit0rs are to beat the smurfs.

By all rights, we should win, but then again, this is Melbourne City we are talking about. Our goal difference is still +2 better than the visit0rs, so even a draw is likely to see us finish 3rd unless the smurfs are smashed

6 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

The visit0rs come from behind to beat Nix, I wonder whether we would have had that desire to win? It doesn't change anything though, it's better that our fate is in our own hands anyway. It'll be a good test of how we function under pressure, we are just as likely to fold as we have always done and lose to Nix as the visit0rs are to beat the smurfs.

By all rights, we should win, but then again, this is Melbourne City we are talking about. Our goal difference is still +2 better than the visit0rs, so even a draw is likely to see us finish 3rd unless the smurfs are smashed

My post above still applies - Victory have to beat Sydney to overtake us. Anything else and we finish third. If they do beat Sydney by one goal then we will need at least a draw to retain third place. Should they beat Sydney by two goals, then we will need to win (or have an unlikely high-scoring draw) to retain third, because the goal differences will be equal but Victory will have scored more goals.

And we will know the day before we play just what we have to do.

We will play the Friday night elimination final, mv have a acl midweek game next week

Now if results go our way and we have finished third before we play, I'm playing a different team. Give Atkinson, Arzani, mauk, Jakobsen and anyone else sore or who has had a big workload a week off before finals 

1 minute ago, neio said:

We will play the Friday night elimination final, mv have a acl midweek game next week

Now if results go our way and we have finished third before we play, I'm playing a different team. Give Atkinson, Arzani, mauk, Jakobsen and anyone else sore or who has had a big workload a week off before finals 

Needs to be a balance, cant break up a team that has been playing so well together.

Rather then drop tired players completely, just start them on the bench

Just now, haz said:

Needs to be a balance, cant break up a team that has been playing so well together.

I agree there needs to be a balance, bit I'd also be looking at getting some minutes into budzinski, fitzy and delbridge cause we never know we may need them the week after

Obviously this all matters on what happens Friday 

• Like 3

Hopefully Sydney beat the tards and we can relax and play without pressure against the Nix.

We need to keep the same team. Even though Mauk isn’t my choice of player,  there is no point in playing Budzinski because he has no chance in being selected in the finals.

12 hours ago, neio said:

12 hours ago, haz said:

Plus we will be flying over Thursday (Friday morning at latest). Our best team will need to be there "just in case", so no need to be completely pragmatic for the sake of resting them. 45 - 60 min appearances for some might work to manage workload tho

14 hours ago, neio said:

Obviously this all matters on what happens Friday 

Of course. But IMO Joyce, like Arnold, will maintain his approach and will be aiming to win the match, irrespective of what happens on Friday. If Victory don't win on Friday he might well give more minutes to various subs, but I can't see him making too many changes because he'll want to maintain the momentum that we have. I'd say we'll take pretty much a full squad over the ditch with final selection after we know Friday's result.

I can't stand the Tards, but just like last night you just cannot write them off until the final whistle goes.

36 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Of course. But IMO Joyce, like Arnold, will maintain his approach and will be aiming to win the match, irrespective of what happens on Friday. If Victory don't win on Friday he might well give more minutes to various subs, but I can't see him making too many changes because he'll want to maintain the momentum that we have. I'd say we'll take pretty much a full squad over the ditch with final selection after we know Friday's result.

I can't stand the Tards, but just like last night you just cannot write them off until the final whistle goes.

There is no way Arnold will throw away a match against the visitors. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, silva10 said:

Hopefully Sydney beat the tards and we can relax and play without pressure against the Nix.

We need to keep the same team. Even though Mauk isn’t my choice of player,  there is no point in playing Budzinski because he has no chance in being selected in the finals.

@silva10 haaaaavee ya met @playmaker?

• Like 3

I'm not surprised that A-League attendances are falling. The A-League web-site is currently advertising this match as taking place both in Auckland (QBE Stadium) and Wellington...

https://www.a-league.com.au/match/wellington-phoenix-v-melbourne-city-fc-a-league-14-04-2018/928075

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/hyundai-a-league-ins-and-outs-round-27-0

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not surprised that A-League attendances are falling. The A-League web-site is currently advertising this match as taking place both in Auckland (QBE Stadium) and Wellington...

https://www.a-league.com.au/match/wellington-phoenix-v-melbourne-city-fc-a-league-14-04-2018/928075

Thats a cunning plan to double attendances. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Has everyone died? There have been no posts on the forum for over 20 hours!!! 

Not a lot of point in posting until the result of the Sydney-Victory match is known.

52 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

We're all nervous that we're going to fuck this up (or myself anyway) 

Cautious optimism on a foundation of nagging doubt.

On 12/04/2018 at 3:49 PM, jw1739 said:

Schrodinger’s cat.

the game will be on at both places at the same time (until you turn your tv on)

• Like 2

OK now we know that, this is team I'm playing

Bouzanis

Muscat Schenkeveld Delbridge Jamieson

Malik Brattan

Budzinski

Fitzgerald Fornaroli Vidosic

Galekovic Jakobsen Mauk Arzani Bozanic

I think it's super important to give our bench players some serious minutes before finals, as we may need them next week for an injury etc 

Malik plays 45 and then Bozanic plays 45

Arzani and Atkinson get week off as they are still super young