Melbourne Football

Round 27 vs Wellington Phoenix - Sat April 14th in Auckland

mattyh001

I wouldn't get too uptight about it if we lose. However disappointing the result is - if it is - it's a reminder that whatever Joyce has achieved this season there is still plenty to do before we are going to be genuine title contenders on a regular basis.

Just now, jw1739 said:

I wouldn't get too uptight about it if we lose. However disappointing the result is - if it is - it's a reminder that whatever Joyce has achieved this season there is still plenty to do before we are going to be genuine title contenders on a regular basis.

Not the losing that concerns me, it's the basics like not being able to make simple passes

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

But Bruno is missing too many simple chances to be considered back to form yet. Put the simple ones away and you don't have to get the fancy ones.

Yea made the comment before he missed the open goal. I agree

Wow we should be losing by about 3 goals

Edited by haz

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Now Wazza can take all these feathers out of his ass and show us how a trailing side is managed. My guess, same subs as every game regardless if you win or lose.

Chasing a game and subbing on defenders...

13 hours ago, haz said:

Won't play him if he's shit

Don't go down that road, because it's fake news. So if he doesnt suit the Wazza style then so be it, but he is not shit. The definition of shit is the whole team that is on the pitch atm excluding Bouzanis. Not having Bud on the bench is a critical error, sacking Wazza is the solution.

Edited by playmaker

1 hour ago, haz said:

Our record for wins in the final game of the season must be horrible

We have never won the final match of the league season. (2D, 6L). And I think we've only won a couple of times in NZ.

That's just symptomatic of the work still required at the club.

Disappointing result, not good enough, but not the end of the world, although it's taken the gloss off the overall league success and probably knocked a couple of thousand off the crowd for next week.

And I never want to see that stupid phrase "...will look to bounce back in their next match..." ever again on the City web-site.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

We continue to be horribly vulnerable against genuine pace. 

While we stay so pedestrian as we do, this is not going to change. There's a laziness in the side that Joyce has still not eliminated. IMO it's an inherent characteristic of "possession football." If you spend half the match stroking the ball around in midfield, you just can't accelerate (physically or mentally) quickly enough to either defend at the back or take the chances at the front.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

While we stay so pedestrian as we do, this is not going to change. There's a laziness in the side that Joyce has still not eliminated. IMO it's an inherent characteristic of "possession football." If you spend half the match stroking the ball around in midfield, you just can't accelerate (physically or mentally) quickly enough to either defend at the back or take the chances at the front.

All football is 'possession football', the difference is in how you use the ball to achieve penetration. We can be just as ineffective using possession to play counter-attack football as it's also about player movement off the ball - this has always been our problem. We tend to run into a dead end in possession as movement off the ball is used to open up space, we are so static that we tend to close up and compress the space. Possession based football needs changes of pace, we tend to play at the same pace and that's why we don't create as many good scoring opportunities and have to reset back to the back 5.

Luckily I only got to watch the first 20 minutes of last night's game. We were playing well but I had an early booking at Provenance Restaurant in Beechworth. Great food and highly recommended BTW. Both Frau Guttman and I said 'we are going to lose this one' as the TV went off, this team is just so predictable.

If you look at out pattern this season we haven't yet been able to follow a single loss with a subsequent win, it's taken 3 games to get back on track. At least we won't be playing Perth, but I'm not feeling confident about the final. We'll lose the ACL playoff spot of a team below us gets to the Grand Final, so it had better be Jets of it isn't us!

Don't know about you guys but right now I don't see this game as too big an issue. We had basically a makeshift defense throughout the game, it was terrible conditions (same for the Nix though). And considering the fact we were second best in every tackle perhaps suggests no one wanted to fully commit themselves on a nothing game in fear of injury before finals. So a number of 'what ifs' but just some food for thought. 

1 hour ago, malloy said:

Bruno used to miss easy chances all the time. 

And scores crackers. The bloke is perfect for the A League. Just that bit better than everyone else but not good enough for the top top leagues. 

Last night was vintage Bruno,  scored a sublime goal and missed(not even close) a much easier chance.

• Like 1