Melbourne Football

City vs WSW, 7;50 @AAMI Park. Must win game.

Hellenic Hero

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Are we reading anything into the goal celebrations with Joyce looking veeery awkward in the background?

Nah Joyce was smiling his ass off (by Joyce's standards). When they were hugging Paddy he was just waiting to give instructions to the boys.

It seems an awfully long time since we last won a game. A reasonably good performance from the team tonight, I'm thrilled that I lived long enough to experience another win.

Positives:

We won

A rare clean sheet, assisted by WSW not having a single shot on target more so than by our defending

No yellow cards to the players at least. This is very rare for us

Bruno and Arzani are looking to be a good combination, good game from both individually and in combination, they create space for each other like Bruno and Novillo also did.

Good to see the hug for Paddy, no hugs for Wazza. I'm not surprised.

Negatives:

Still too many back passes and poor movement off the ball

Should have scored more from the good chances that we had

The crowd numbers looked poor tonight, the first time in years that FFA didn't schedule our game at AGP start time

3 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

It seems an awfully long time since we last won a game. A reasonably good performance from the team tonight, I'm thrilled that I lived long enough to experience another win.

Positives:

We won

A rare clean sheet, assisted by WSW not having a single shot on target more so than by our defending

No yellow cards to the players at least. This is very rare for us

Bruno and Arzani are looking to be a good combination, good game from both individually and in combination, they create space for each other like Bruno and Novillo also did.

Good to see the hug for Paddy, no hugs for Wazza. I'm not surprised.

Negatives:

Still too many back passes and poor movement off the ball

Should have scored more from the good chances that we had

The crowd numbers looked poor tonight, the first time in years that FFA didn't schedule our game at AGP start time

Didn't help with Hawthorn v Collingwood at the 'G, along with the Richmond v Carlton Thursday night. General public only have so much, particularly given how shite we've been.

Was extremely stoked with the result, just leaves me wondering why we can't do that more often

With CCM and Wellington to come, that should lock in 4th.  It now comes down to how well / how poor Victory now go.

One word..... Bruno.

Outlines the reality of our poor performances since Ross left. No striker= no goals.

One goal and one assist from natural creative target striker is always going to win you games.

The exciting thing is he is not even up to speed yet and our forward flow is just so much better.

Defensively very well organised and the midfield getting the job done.

Well done city. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, playmaker said:

One word..... Bruno.

Outlines the reality of our poor performances since Ross left. No striker= no goals.

One goal and one assist from natural creative target striker is always going to win you games.

The exciting thing is he is not even up to speed yet and our forward flow is just so much better.

Defensively very well organised and the midfield getting the job done.

Well done city. 

IMO you can’t mention Bruno without mentioning Arzani. The kid was at the centre of much of our good performance and put in some scintillating runs. His effort in the first half that nearly had Bruno head the ball into the net was pretty special. We need to lock this kid into a long term contract.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HEARTinator said:

IMO you can’t mention Bruno without mentioning Arzani. The kid was at the centre of much of our good performance and put in some scintillating runs. His effort in the first half that nearly had Bruno head the ball into the net was pretty special. We need to lock this kid into a long term contract.

Totally agree, they compliment  each other nicely. Can see a great relationship forming.

2 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

We played very well tonight. Great effort from the lads. That being said, fuck me dead the wanderers were awful

They were as good as we let them be. 

1 hour ago, Afif Adam said:

Bozanic was pretty much solid defensively, maybe work a little bit more on his passes ...

btw watching back on the replay, Active looked dead af..number and vocal wise 

Active made plenty of noise, even if it wasn't picked up by the mics. Loved the 'we pay your Centrelink' chant. 

• Like 1

Great win and a about time win.

Arzani and Bruno combination really developing and hopefully we get another full season out of the two together. 

For me our midfield looks a little too cautious. Without the ball Brattan and Bozanic are both really solid and both put in good shifts and pretty much the reason Wanderers didn't get a shot on target (although Bort and Jako helped).

But going forward both and Mauk just play too many safe balls. We need more from the AM and Mauk Brattan and Bozanic to me are very similar. Bring Malik in and that changes the mix but we just lack that cutting edge driving the midfield. Obviously Budzinski can't give that regularly but seriously a proper 10 and we would look so much better.

All up a massive win and who knows this could be the start of a 6 game winning run.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, fensaddler said:

They were as good as we let them be. 

Active made plenty of noise, even if it wasn't picked up by the mics. Loved the 'we pay your Centrelink' chant. 

Was there any Brattan chant sung? The talking City boys where trying to get one up and going for him. I thought Bratts tackling and pressure was the reason we owned the midfield last night. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Was there any Brattan chant sung? The talking City boys where trying to get one up and going for him. I thought Bratts tackling and pressure was the reason we owned the midfield last night. 

We tried to get one going but nobody could get one catchy enough

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HeartOfCity said:

The whole team played with a rare intensity last night. We don't see it often, and even then only for portions of a match

4 hours ago, Jovan said:

Great win and a about time win.

Arzani and Bruno combination really developing and hopefully we get another full season out of the two together. 

For me our midfield looks a little too cautious. Without the ball Brattan and Bozanic are both really solid and both put in good shifts and pretty much the reason Wanderers didn't get a shot on target (although Bort and Jako helped).

But going forward both and Mauk just play too many safe balls. We need more from the AM and Mauk Brattan and Bozanic to me are very similar. Bring Malik in and that changes the mix but we just lack that cutting edge driving the midfield. Obviously Budzinski can't give that regularly but seriously a proper 10 and we would look so much better.

All up a massive win and who knows this could be the start of a 6 game winning run.

Pretty much agree with you there @Jovan . It can be argued that WSW were only as good as we let them be, but for me the match highlighted how ineffective the Gombau-style "possession" game is - they really presented minimal threat to our goal all evening.

I thought our best (in no particular order) were Arzani, Bruno, Atkinson, Jakobsen and Schenkeveld. I'm not ovelry impressed by Vidosic in recent matches, and I completely agree on Mauk, Brattan and Bozanic. It's hard to be down on Mauky when he's scoring, but he had several dreadful passes last night that against other teams could have cost us. Brattan remains "Mr. Frustration" for me, and Bozanic is just about a clone of him. Both could be, and should be quicker and more incisive when going forward.

A couple of things I didn't understand. Bringing on Fitzgerald but then putting him on the wing and virtually ignoring him, and bringing on Muscat instead of Budzinski. At 3-0 up I would have thought that we could have gone for the jugular and used Fitzgerald's pace and Budzinski's shooting power much more effectively.

But, all said and done we needed the three points and we got them.

For our last home game,  Id love to see a supporter initiative to get a decent crowd in.

Id love to get the top tier open.

Those who still have their guest tickets, don’t waste em. Also, if you can’t go, lend someone your membership.

Maybe someone more social media savvy than me can think of a catchy hashtag.

If it was mentioned on the podcast perhaps the club will get involved.

I know we got plenty of support out there ... 60k at the G made the effort last night, surely we can get 15k to our last home game (notwithstanding finals).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Pretty much agree with you there @Jovan . It can be argued that WSW were only as good as we let them be, but for me the match highlighted how ineffective the Gombau-style "possession" game is - they really presented minimal threat to our goal all evening.

I thought our best (in no particular order) were Arzani, Bruno, Atkinson, Jakobsen and Schenkeveld. I'm not ovelry impressed by Vidosic in recent matches, and I completely agree on Mauk, Brattan and Bozanic. It's hard to be down on Mauky when he's scoring, but he had several dreadful passes last night that against other teams could have cost us. Brattan remains "Mr. Frustration" for me, and Bozanic is just about a clone of him. Both could be, and should be quicker and more incisive when going forward.

A couple of things I didn't understand. Bringing on Fitzgerald but then putting him on the wing and virtually ignoring him, and bringing on Muscat instead of Budzinski. At 3-0 up I would have thought that we could have gone for the jugular and used Fitzgerald's pace and Budzinski's shooting power much more effectively.

But, all said and done we needed the three points and we got them.

Vidosic's performances have dropped since he has been playing on the wing. He really needs to be playing behind Bruno.

I had to miss the game but watched it on the telly. Fantastic game and great to see Arzani still doing so well. 

Most fascinating thing for me though was mark bosnich on the telecast, seemed grumpy AF, or like he had a raging hangover or something. One word responses to questions or largely negative comments. He woke himeself out of it a couple of times but he didn’t seem his usual self. 

But back to the game, awesome, and looking forward to the last few games and finals.

40 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

For our last home game,  Id love to see a supporter initiative to get a decent crowd in.

Id love to get the top tier open.

Those who still have their guest tickets, don’t waste em. Also, if you can’t go, lend someone your membership.

Maybe someone more social media savvy than me can think of a catchy hashtag.

If it was mentioned on the podcast perhaps the club will get involved.

I know we got plenty of support out there ... 60k at the G made the effort last night, surely we can get 15k to our last home game (notwithstanding finals).

The problem is, the decision to attend is such a high-risk decision. Once or twice a season you get rewarded by a performance like last night and the Adelaide game. Most of the time though it's like getting your fingernails pulled off. That's why so many will only go if there's no better alternative, rather than prioritising it, and I'm now including myself in that category. Most casuals know little of City beyond this reputation, every single one that I've brought along, and it's probably been around 20 people over the years, has no interest in coming back.

I agree that it would be good if it could happen though

Edited by belaguttman

1 hour ago, Jake said:

I had to miss the game but watched it on the telly. Fantastic game and great to see Arzani still doing so well. 

Most fascinating thing for me though was mark bosnich on the telecast, seemed grumpy AF, or like he had a raging hangover or something. One word responses to questions or largely negative comments. He woke himeself out of it a couple of times but he didn’t seem his usual self. 

But back to the game, awesome, and looking forward to the last few games and finals.

It was a pisser! It was like he was told that his Ferrari had just been keyed by Steven Lowy.

• Like 1

As we were leaving after the game i just happened to say to my wife "How is that the Wanderers are in the top six because the way they played tonight they looked more like Wellington at the bottom of the ladder" Total rubbish, they had no idea and their travelling fans went very quiet after we scored the second goal , our active boys let them know as well chanting Yuor'e not signing now . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Not even close.  We completely dominated them,  well done boys 

Agree, very strong performance, we looked a class above them.

I'm also really puzzled and disappointed that Joyce didn't bring Budzinski on. With finals around the corner, surely you want to be giving your marquee as many minutes as possible. At 3-0 up, you couldn't get a better opportunity. Pretty sure he kicked a water bottle from the dugout in frustration when he got called back from warming up, after getting the news he wasn't coming on.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rass said:

I'm also really puzzled and disappointed that Joyce didn't bring Budzinski on. With finals around the corner, surely you want to be giving your marquee as many minutes as possible. At 3-0 up, you couldn't get a better opportunity. Pretty sure he kicked a water bottle from the dugout in frustration when he got called back from warming up, after getting the news he wasn't coming on.

Absolutely can not understand Joyce on this one. He is our marquee player and is being treated poorly IMO. If I was Bud I'd kick Wazza up the arse if I was seeing Muscat, Fitzy and Delbridge get on the field ahead of me.

7 minutes ago, rass said:

Outside of knowing what's going on behind the scenes I feel a little sorry for him. He's made his first move out of Poland and ends up on the bench.