Melbourne Football

City vs WSW, 7;50 @AAMI Park. Must win game.

Hellenic Hero

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Must win game.

Last 8 seasons that's all ive heard after round 22.

Precisely. What we need to learn is that every match is a must-win. And if you can't win it, make sure you draw it. Just as an example, that stupid Bouzanis brain-fade in the third derby now shows up for what it was.

IMO there's still an awful lot of work to do at City to get the proper focus on winning.

35 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Must win game 0-2 loss coming up. Wanderers have strengthened their squad, we've weakened ours

Sometimes I really wonder if Munn, Wazza & co see it that that way too. It’s almost crazy how many players we let go with only Vidosic to be brought in. Maybe we made all the cuts and gambled on Ross. Too proud to admit that maybe. 

If this current squad is at full salary cap capacity than some heads need to roll.

51 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Must win game 0-2 loss coming up. Wanderers have strengthened their squad, we've weakened ours

Carrusca to score both, Kamau and Tongyik to run down from the stands and hug Gombau

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Sometimes I really wonder if Munn, Wazza & co see it that that way too. It’s almost crazy how many players we let go with only Vidosic to be brought in. Maybe we made all the cuts and gambled on Ross. Too proud to admit that maybe. 

If this current squad is at full salary cap capacity than some heads need to roll.

In fairness to all the above mentioned we brought in Delbridge, Bozanic, Vidosic and have removed Brandan, Cahill, Kilkenny, Carrusca. We lost Ross but we regained Bruno back in the sqaud. 

17 minutes ago, n i k o said:

In fairness to all the above mentioned we brought in Delbridge, Bozanic, Vidosic and have removed Brandan, Cahill, Kilkenny, Carrusca. We lost Ross but we regained Bruno back in the sqaud. 

We've still weakened the squad. Bozanic is a squad player, I'd rank him below Kilkenny. We've lost Carusca and have no real number 10, obvious from the number of players we've tried there. We have a single number 9 who won't be match fit until after the final, and no backup, Marcin is no number 9. I rate Delbridge below Tongyik based on what he's shown so far, positioning is no better, distribution is worse, already red carded. Vidosic is hot and cold, more cold

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

We've still weakened the squad. Bozanic is a squad player, I'd rank him below Kilkenny. We've lost Carusca and have no real number 10, obvious from the number of players we've tried there. We have a single number 9 who won't be match fit until after the final, and no backup, Marcin is no number 9. I rate Delbridge below Tongyik based on what he's shown so far, positioning is no better, distribution is worse, already red carded. Vidosic is hot and cold, more cold

Just to clarify I was simply stating that we've brought in more than one player. However to your point, player for player it seems we have weakened. However as I said in the Adelaide thread the biggest problem IMO is the inconsistent man management of our players this season. If we had our current crop of players playing week in week out we'd be in a much better space. That's the key ingredient to our success this coming week and the weeks leading up and into finals. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Just to clarify I was simply stating that we've brought in more than one player. However to your point, player for player it seems we have weakened. However as I said in the Adelaide thread the biggest problem IMO is the inconsistent man management of our players this season. 

squad degradation

Team style of play

man management

bench selection

tactics and subs

11 hours ago, n i k o said:

Yeah true, I was more thinking towards attacking minded players which we are currently lacking, all our youth strikers have departed as well. Do you think we've reached the cap with letting all these players go vs what has come in?

I love Bruno but seeing him back into his last seasons habits of missing penalties,(he missed a few already), poor first touch and lots of focus on drawing fouls is frustrating (opponents and refs found him out it seems). Yes he is coming back from a long injury but last season he was already dropping off. I don't want to rely solely on wonderkid Arzani who has his head down 70% of the time. I struggle to see how are going to score, we missed another decent attacking outlet.

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Yeah true, I was more thinking towards attacking minded players which we are currently lacking, all our youth strikers have departed as well. Do you think we've reached the cap with letting all these players go vs what has come in?

I love Bruno but seeing him back into his last seasons habits of missing penalties,(he missed a few already), poor first touch and lots of focus on drawing fouls is frustrating (opponents and refs found him out it seems). Yes he is coming back from a long injury but last season he was already dropping off. I don't want to rely solely on wonderkid Arzani who has his head down 70% of the time. I struggle to see how are going to score, we missed another decent attacking outlet.

Ah ok well yeh I'd agree wiht you there then regarding our ins and outs of attacking players. Fortunately for Wazza Arzani has papered over this little crack in recruitment IMO.  

When you look at the players that have left (mind you I'm guessing a a little here so could be wrong): 

Cahill - Top Tier 

Kilkenny - Mid Tier 

Carrusca - Low-Mid Tier

Brandan - Mid Tier

Compared to...

Bozanic - Mid Tier 

Vidosic - Mid Tier 

Delbridge - Low Tier

I'd be suprised if we don't have a couple hundred grand if not a little more left over. I would imagine at this stage the club and Wazza have decided that they will use the percentage (is it 5% that can be transferred to next season??) of unused cap space for next season. 

Regarding Bruno it's 2 seasons on we're still waiting for a number 10 that is of similar caliber to Mooy. But I do agree with you about him.  I honestly think he needs to adapt his game. It's predictable what he will do, the referees are on top of him and the league know how to keep him contained. 

32 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

We are at home and Victory is away at Glory. No further comment is needed.  Anyway, it's a must win for Glory from our perspective. It's an uphill battle for us in any case. 

I think you forgot the persona you've tried to create here 

• Like 1

On 20/03/2018 at 11:21 AM, n i k o said:

Ah ok well yeh I'd agree wiht you there then regarding our ins and outs of attacking players. Fortunately for Wazza Arzani has papered over this little crack in recruitment IMO.  

I'd be suprised if we don't have a couple hundred grand if not a little more left over. I would imagine at this stage the club and Wazza have decided that they will use the percentage (is it 5% that can be transferred to next season??) of unused cap space for next season. 

I wouldn't be surprised either. 

On 3/20/2018 at 11:21 AM, n i k o said:

I'd be surprised if we don't have a couple hundred grand if not a little more left over. I would imagine at this stage the club and Wazza have decided that they will use the percentage (is it 5% that can be transferred to next season??) of unused cap space for next season. 

This is "Salary Cap Banking": · Salary Cap Banking will allow clubs to carry over money not spent inside the Salary Cap in the previous two seasons to the following season, up to 105% of the Salary Cap in the relevant contract year. (From "Changes to Salary Cap Rules" announced 11th August 2015.)

The Cap will be about $3m next season, meaning about $150,000 of unused cap (if any) is allowed to be carried over, meaning the cap will be $3.15m.

For those interested, there follows a summary of all the changes announced at that time:

Football Federation Australia (FFA) has confirmed significant changes to the Hyundai A-League Salary Cap and Player Roster framework with the release of the 2015/16 Hyundai A-League Player Contract Regulations.

The changes are aimed at giving clubs more flexibility in assembling and retaining squads, rewarding youth development and long term player loyalty while significantly increasing the capability of clubs to invest more money on its Player Roster.

The following changes have been implemented:

· A Loyalty Player allowance has been included to give clubs a sliding scale of Salary Cap relief for players who have played between 5-10 years at the club. The total amount that can be spent on Loyalty Players is $200,000 outside the Salary Cap.

· Clubs can pay a Mature Age Rookie outside the Salary Cap to encourage talented players in the National Premier Leagues. This player must be over the age of 21, not played in a fully professional competition for the last 18 months and last played football in Australia. This player must be paid at least the Minimum Salary.

· The existing Home Grown Player allowance outside the Salary Cap has lifted from $150,000 to $200,000. Each Club can include three players who started their careers with the Club, either through the Youth System of the Hyundai A-League squad.

· The two Marquee Players (which sit outside the Salary Cap) can now be two foreigners, two Australians or one Australian and one foreigner. This has changed from Two Marquee Players whereby at least one must be Australian.

· Salary Cap Banking will allow clubs to carry over money not spent inside the Salary Cap in the previous two seasons to the following season, up to 105% of the Salary Cap in the relevant contract year.

· The Salary Cap floor (minimum amount that needs to be spent) lifts from 85% to 90%.

· The length of the maximum stint for a Guest Player has increased from 10 to 14 weeks.

· The Minimum Annual Salary for players aged over 21 years has risen from $51,000 to $55,000.

“The Player Contract Regulations changes offer significantly increased salary opportunities for players as well as providing flexibility and rewards for clubs who plan their roster around Marquee Players, youth development and long term loyalty to its players,” said Head of Hyundai A-League Damien de Bohun.

“These changes will allow clubs to bring talented players through their expanding youth systems, retain cult heroes like Melbourne Victory’s Archie Thompson and continue to search for Marquee and Guest Players that can add impact to the continued growth of the Hyundai A-League.

“We believe these changes allow flexibility for the Hyundai A-League clubs with different objectives and structure the opportunity to build their rosters to suit their individual needs, while adding benefits at both ends of a player’s career.

“On top of these changes, FFA continues to work with the PFA to finalise a Collective Bargaining Agreement that will ensure player salary growth increases in line with the growth of the sport.”

2015/16 Salary Cap breakdown:

Salary category

Cost

Increase

Salary Cap                          

$2.55 million

-

Salary Cap floor (85% to 90%)

$2.29 million

$127,500

Salary Cap Banking

$127,500 maximum

Up to $127,500

Home Grown Players (3 players)

$200,000

$50,000

Loyalty Players (unlimited players)

$200,000

$200,000

Mature Age Rookie

$55,000 minimum

$55,000 minimum

Two Marquee Players

Unlimited

-

One Guest Player (Up to 14 weeks)

Unlimited

-

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

Bouzanis

Atkinson   Schenkeveld   Jakobsen  Jamieson  

Bozanic            Brattan

Mauk

Arzani                       Fornaroli           Vidosic

SUBS : Galekovic Budzinski Delbridge Muscat Fitzgerald

I think we'll go completely unchanged although i'd like to see Genreau in over one of Manny or Delbridge.

Think we'll play well and take a 2-0 win, but who knows. WSW seem to always play well against us, a bit of a bogey team like Perth.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

This is "Salary Cap Banking": · Salary Cap Banking will allow clubs to carry over money not spent inside the Salary Cap in the previous two seasons to the following season, up to 105% of the Salary Cap in the relevant contract year. (From "Changes to Salary Cap Rules" announced 11th August 2015.)

The Cap will be about $3m next season, meaning about $150,000 of unused cap (if any) is allowed to be carried over, meaning the cap will be $3.15m.

For those interested, there follows a summary of all the changes announced at that time:

Football Federation Australia (FFA) has confirmed significant changes to the Hyundai A-League Salary Cap and Player Roster framework with the release of the 2015/16 Hyundai A-League Player Contract Regulations.

The changes are aimed at giving clubs more flexibility in assembling and retaining squads, rewarding youth development and long term player loyalty while significantly increasing the capability of clubs to invest more money on its Player Roster.

The following changes have been implemented:

· A Loyalty Player allowance has been included to give clubs a sliding scale of Salary Cap relief for players who have played between 5-10 years at the club. The total amount that can be spent on Loyalty Players is $200,000 outside the Salary Cap.

· Clubs can pay a Mature Age Rookie outside the Salary Cap to encourage talented players in the National Premier Leagues. This player must be over the age of 21, not played in a fully professional competition for the last 18 months and last played football in Australia. This player must be paid at least the Minimum Salary.

· The existing Home Grown Player allowance outside the Salary Cap has lifted from $150,000 to $200,000. Each Club can include three players who started their careers with the Club, either through the Youth System of the Hyundai A-League squad.

· The two Marquee Players (which sit outside the Salary Cap) can now be two foreigners, two Australians or one Australian and one foreigner. This has changed from Two Marquee Players whereby at least one must be Australian.

· Salary Cap Banking will allow clubs to carry over money not spent inside the Salary Cap in the previous two seasons to the following season, up to 105% of the Salary Cap in the relevant contract year.

· The Salary Cap floor (minimum amount that needs to be spent) lifts from 85% to 90%.

· The length of the maximum stint for a Guest Player has increased from 10 to 14 weeks.

· The Minimum Annual Salary for players aged over 21 years has risen from $51,000 to $55,000.

“The Player Contract Regulations changes offer significantly increased salary opportunities for players as well as providing flexibility and rewards for clubs who plan their roster around Marquee Players, youth development and long term loyalty to its players,” said Head of Hyundai A-League Damien de Bohun.

“These changes will allow clubs to bring talented players through their expanding youth systems, retain cult heroes like Melbourne Victory’s Archie Thompson and continue to search for Marquee and Guest Players that can add impact to the continued growth of the Hyundai A-League.

“We believe these changes allow flexibility for the Hyundai A-League clubs with different objectives and structure the opportunity to build their rosters to suit their individual needs, while adding benefits at both ends of a player’s career.

“On top of these changes, FFA continues to work with the PFA to finalise a Collective Bargaining Agreement that will ensure player salary growth increases in line with the growth of the sport.”

2015/16 Salary Cap breakdown:

Salary category

Cost

Increase

Salary Cap                          

$2.55 million

-

Salary Cap floor (85% to 90%)

$2.29 million

$127,500

Salary Cap Banking

$127,500 maximum

Up to $127,500

Home Grown Players (3 players)

$200,000

$50,000

Loyalty Players (unlimited players)

$200,000

$200,000

Mature Age Rookie

$55,000 minimum

$55,000 minimum

Two Marquee Players

Unlimited

-

One Guest Player (Up to 14 weeks)

Unlimited

-

In addition to that, its becoming more likely we will see 4+1 introduced next season.... maybe that is why we havnt signed a 5th visa?

BRING BACK SAFUWAN!

Edited by haz

Melbourne City has selected an unchanged squad for the all-important clash against the Wanderers with Warren Joyce naming the same 18 as last week’s clash with Adelaide. With no injuries or suspensions from the bruising contest at Coopers Stadium, squad continuity will be an important factor for City heading into the pointy end of the season and this week’s clash is an important step towards it.

Bruce Kamau and Denis Genreau have been added to the extended side with the squad set to be cut by two 90 minutes before kick-off. Osama Malik remains on the side lines dealing with a quad injury while Iacopo La Rocca and Christian Cavallo have made positive returns from injury and are continuing to work their way into the selection mix.

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/team-news-citys-round-24-squad

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Dean BOUZANIS (gk), 2.Manny MUSCAT, 3. Scott JAMIESON, 4. Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 7. Nick FITZGERALD, 8.Oliver BOZANIC, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 11.Bruce Kamau, 13. Stefan MAUK, 14.Daniel ARZANI, 15.Denis GENREAU, 18. Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 22. Michael JAKOBSEN, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 26. Luke BRATTAN, 27. Marcin BUDZINSKI, 37.Nathaniel ATKINSON

Ins: 11.Bruce Kamau (promoted), 15.Denis GENREAU (promoted)

Outs: nil

Unavailable: 6.Osama MALIK (quad)

Part of me wants to go. Big game etc etc, but:

afl on at the G, wet weather forecast, train line down, road works on hoddle street,  some sort of disruption on Heidelberg road and I’m thinking: isn’t this why you have Foxtel? So you have a choice when it all goes to shit?