Melbourne Football

RD 23: Adelaide v Melbourne City, Friday March 16 7.50pm

Harrison

We should have won it, pissed we didn’t, fuckn glad we didn’t lose it.

We were clearly the better team.

Wrapt Arzani played a full 90. 

Adelaide are a bunch of hacks.

Beath deserves a special mention for being literally the worst referee in the history of humankind. We will tell our grandchildren that we saw him officiate during this era that will become known as the Beathshit period, a horribly sad time for the sport. Eventually, maybe in 50 years, they will make a 3 hour movie on Beath, and the actor who portrays him will certainly win an Oscar, but then sadly go insane.

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 5

A much better team performance overall. However, the opposition wasn’t anything special. I feel we should be imposing our game a lot more on teams below us. Once again Mauk was invisible until his goal. He needs to give more than just the odd goal. I would prefer to see Arzani or Vidosic in behind Bruno.

Mixed feelings about this game

Positives: 

We didn't lose

Arzani played 90 minutes, our best attacking option by far

Bruno played 90 minutes

No red cards

Wazza didn't bring on Delbridge for Bruno

Negatives:

2 points lost, a draw doesn't help us much, but it wasn't a loss. We're likely to say goodbye to third position on Sunday

Arzani already has a reputation for going to ground but this allows him to be hacked out of the game. If he's diving then book him but why ignore the regular fouls on him? Bobo, a regular diver, is protected.

Bruno has poor touch, poor timing, positioning still off, why was he allowed to take a pen? He needs to be played though, we have no other strikers

Defending as 4-4-2 but poor positioning, large gaps between the lines still allowing us to be easily penetrated.

Our ball speed and movement off the ball in attacking transition is still far too slow

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Mixed feelings about this game

Positives: 

We didn't lose

Arzani played 90 minutes, our best attacking option by far

Bruno played 90 minutes

No red cards

Wazza didn't bring on Delbridge for Bruno

Negatives:

2 points lost, a draw doesn't help us much, but it wasn't a loss. We're likely to say goodbye to third position on Sunday

Arzani already has a reputation for going to ground but this allows him to be hacked out of the game. If he's diving then book him but why ignore the regular fouls on him? Bobo, a regular diver, is protected.

Bruno has poor touch, poor timing, positioning still off, why was he allowed to take a pen? He needs to be played though, we have no other strikers

Defending as 4-4-2 but poor positioning, large gaps between the lines still allowing us to be easily penetrated.

Our ball speed and movement off the ball in attacking transition is still far too slow

I'm pleased with a draw. At least it maintains our distance from Adelaide.

Penalties are really in the same category as corners and free-kicks. FFS can we we not find several alternative players to take these kicks? What the fuck do we do at training? Bruno is barely back in the team and someone else should have taken that kick tonight. It's this sort of coaching ineptitude that is pissing me off.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Is the coach or is it Bruno putting his hand up, because the way I see it he shouldn't be requesting the ball at all. It's ultimately his decision.

There's also a Captain on the field (Jakobsen) who should be making a call on these things. Bruno is the Club Captain, not the on-field Captain.

All I'm asking is that these sorts of things should be sorted out beforehand, not when the adrenalin is flowing on the field. These seemingly little things are the difference between winning and not winning. At this stage of the season everything should be sorted. 

BTW that's Izzo's third penalty save of the season. He's easily the leading GK in that statistic.

Edited by jw1739

2 hours ago, neio said:

Are you sure? I could be wrong but I think it's gone up to 8 yellows for a suspension this week 

@neio My bad. You are correct. It's five yellows up to Round 21 and eight thereafter.

According to FFA Disciplinary Regulations 2014 Clause 5.3 that is. I haven't got a later version.

Two wins and draw against them in the season is very good.

Real members are for the whole life. In a small league like this success will come for sure. There is another club , even at the same venue which nearly always plays finals and ACL, for those who wants guaranteed titles.

Bud had to play last night. 

• Like 1

Honestly I didn’t think we were thst great. Didn’t create much at all. Yeah Bruno puts the pen away we win, but that’s because Adelaide also look hopeless going forward.

We need to improve substantially on that performance if we’re going to trouble sides in the finals.

• Like 1

Been a couple decades since I've been to Adelaide and I was pretty young when I was there so I don't remember a great deal. Great place for an away trip, Coopers is a top stadium, even with only 7k going it had a good atmosphere to it. Food is really good as is the coffee for anyone interested in that shit. It was fascinating to witness how inferior Adeladians feel though when you say you're from Melbourne, but they love it when you compliment their city. 

No denying that we should have won this game. Had numerous opportunities where we should have/could have buried it. Our biggest issue has been the lack of consistency with our players availability/selection. IMO this is the reason for why we are in this position as a team:

- We looked so much better with Bort back in defence, not having him last game was detrimental

- Losing Ross was a very big blow 

- Due to Bruno's lack of game time/goals we have suffered in front of goal (haven't scored more than 1 goal in a game since 4th Feb)

- Atkinson should only be started if he's injury free and tracking well to increase his game time. If his substitutions are due to ongoing injury then Wazza has to decide on either Muscat or Delbridge in right back. 

- Malik has been a huge blow, maybe proving to be the biggest for us this season?? 

- Have to credit Bozanic effort during games but I'm still unsure if he fits well with Brattan in midfield. Happy for him to continue start though, especially with a lack of options in that position.

- Mauks first start in a while

- Fitzy started against Perth. Then he's back on the bench for the next two games. 

- Budzinski dropped competely after the Sydney game

There's a number of other points I could mention to show just how inconsistent we have been with managing our team but this is enough I feel to paint a perfect picture. The number of changes to the team on a weekly basis is staggering. On top of that there's the issue of the number of players that have been moved on this season. All of this as a collective has seen us get worse and most other teams get better. Right now we are fourth on the ladder but based on performances and results we are a team that's performing no better than Perth who are eighth. Unless we get some consistency with our starting eleven playing together all the way through to finals we will struggle big time when we get there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Honestly I didn’t think we were thst great. Didn’t create much at all. Yeah Bruno puts the pen away we win, but that’s because Adelaide also look hopeless going forward.

We need to improve substantially on that performance if we’re going to trouble sides in the finals.

Agree with this. 

I'm not seeing much improvement over the last few weeks. Our ball use isn't great and we still seem overly reliant on Arzani. Bruno looks miles off too.

Our best chances came on the back of seriously poor turnovers in our front third. At the moment we struggle to create things from scratch.

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

We haven't got a fit striker that's why. Not doing a deal with Ross set us back to round 1. Also as far as I am concerned not playing our marquee with Bruno is a big mistake that is and will cost us dearly.

So have you finally departed the Wazza train now that he has jettisoned the caboose Budzinski. 

4 hours ago, Jovan said:

So have you finally departed the Wazza train now that he has jettisoned the caboose Budzinski. 

Not on anyone's train but more so I can't think of one good reason why he is not being played, in that he is far more likely to contribute to team success than another player in that position.

I think we are all entitled to question that decision don't you think? 

4 hours ago, playmaker said:

Not on anyone's train but more so I can't think of one good reason why he is not being played, in that he is far more likely to contribute to team success than another player in that position.

I think we are all entitled to question that decision don't you think? 

Every decision needs to be questioned.