Melbourne Football

The Run Home and Realistic Expectations

Harrison

5 hours ago, bt50 said:

Come now @n i k o. On that logic we'd have not lost another game after round 4...

I wasn't intending that we couldn't do it @bt50, I probably should have explained a bit better. I meant that people feel pessimistic because we haven't won a game in over 4 games, hence why winning three of the last four seems a huge challenge based on that statistic alone. Hope that clears it up. I for one feel we have a very good chance but only if we take 3 point against WSW as you stated. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

By the way, at the moment Victory have a +5 goal difference and we have a +2 goal difference.

So we need 2 points to jump them on the ladder

We lost most of our attacking talent, apart from Arzani and an unfit and out of form Bruno

Edited by belaguttman

11 hours ago, n i k o said:

I wasn't intending that we couldn't do it @bt50, I probably should have explained a bit better. I meant that people feel pessimistic because we haven't won a game in over 4 games, hence why winning three of the last four seems a huge challenge based on that statistic alone. Hope that clears it up. I for one feel we have a very good chance but only if we take 3 point against WSW as you stated. 

Haha i know, just being Devil's Advocate. Anyway, i think ive found a wikipedia page that sums up the forum succinctly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negativity_bias

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bt50 said:

Haha i know, just being Devil's Advocate. Anyway, i think ive found a wikipedia page that sums up the forum succinctly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negativity_bias

8 hours ago, n i k o said:

Without doubt, negative bias is the life blood of this forum haha

Clearly two people with people positivity biases

Edited by kingofhearts

On 20/03/2018 at 11:02 AM, n i k o said:

Without doubt, negative bias is the life blood of this forum haha

But it’s ‘proven’ to be beneficial ;)

“The Positive Power of Negative Thinking”

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/blog/give-and-take/201310/the-positive-power-negative-thinking%3famp

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Could the weekend have gone any better? We're two points clear in third, our GD relative to the visitors has improved, and our fate is in our own hands. 

Now, the next round.
Perth vs. Sydney (Thurs)
Adelaide vs. Wellington (Fri)
Brisbane vs. Central Coast (Sat)
Victory vs. Western Sydney (Sat)
Newcastle vs. City (Sun).

Predictions? I'm thinking Perth/Sydney a draw, wins to Adelaide, Brisbane and Victory, and Newcastle/City a draw. That would (probably) see us back to 4th on goal difference, and Adelaide just a point behind us. So still very tight for 3rd and 4th.

Thoughts?

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Now, the next round.
Perth vs. Sydney (Thurs)
Adelaide vs. Wellington (Fri)
Brisbane vs. Central Coast (Sat)
Victory vs. Western Sydney (Sat)
Newcastle vs. City (Sun).

Predictions? I'm thinking Perth/Sydney a draw, wins to Adelaide, Brisbane and Victory, and Newcastle/City a draw. That would (probably) see us back to 4th on goal difference, and Adelaide just a point behind us. So still very tight for 3rd and 4th.

Thoughts?

That's probably what i'd tip too, although i maintain that 6 points will prob get us 3rd. 7 pts all but guarantees it. Adelaide still have to play Sydney and WSW away in the last two, whilst Victory have to go to Sydney as well.

Pretty confident we can go get something in Newcastle this weekend; if Sydney take a point on Friday then the plate race is over and Newy can't go up or down and we really should take 6 points from CCM and Welly.

• Like 1

Here are the final three matches for the contenders for positions 3-6.

Melbourne City (37 points, 3rd):
Newcastle (Away), Central Coast (Home), Wellington (Away).

Melbourne Victory (35 points, 4th)
Western Sydney (Home), Wellington (Home), Sydney (Away).

Adelaide (33 points, 5th)
Wellington (Home), Sydney (Away), Western Sydney (Away).

Western Sydney (30 points, 6th)
Victory (Away), Brisbane (Home), Adelaide (Home).

Brisbane (29 points, 7th)
Central Coast (Home), Western Sydney (Away), Perth (Away).

Perth (29 points, 8th)
Sydney (Home), Newcastle (Away), Brisbane (Home).

1 hour ago, jeffplz said:

We have it easiest.

Therefore we will struggle the most (Haz 2018)

1. Haz. 2018, 'Beta Teams: Melbourne City's small dick, weak mentality sydrome, shitness intensified', International Journal of Mad Dogz, vol. 52, pp. 131-135.

Edited by haz

As of tonight...

Victory on 38 points, to play Wellington (H) and Sydney (A). 
City on 37 points, to play Newcastle (A), Central Coast (H), Wellington (A). 
Adelaide on 36 points, to play Sydney (A), Western Sydney (A). 
Brisbane on 32 points, to play Western Sydney (A), Perth (A). 

Wanderers (30), Perth (29), Central Coast (20) and Wellington(18) cannot reach us.

Edited by jw1739
  • Thanks 1

As of tonight, end of Round 25...

City on 40 points, to play Central Coast (H), Wellington (A).

Brisbane (32), Wanderers (30), Perth (29), Central Coast (20) and Wellington(18) cannot reach us.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

As of tonight, end of Round 25...

City on 40 points, to play Central Coast (H), Wellington (A).

Brisbane (32), Wanderers (30), Perth (29), Central Coast (20) and Wellington(18) cannot reach us.

We have the easiest run..... watch us finish 5th

• Like 1

Melbourne City star Luke Brattan convinced team can win A-League title

By Roy Ward

6 April 2018 — 1:16pm

Melbourne City midfielder Luke Brattan has put words to what his side’s form has been saying for the past few weeks.

Brattan is certain City have all the tools to win the A-League title and have no qualms about taking the game to favourites Sydney FC.

City will aim for a third-straight win when they host Central Coast Mariners at AAMI Park on Saturday night.

City's Luke Brattan hopes to catch the eye of new Socceroos coach Bert van Marwijk.

A win over the Mariners would secure a home semi-final but securing third place will likely have to wait until next week’s final round.

The star midfielder said the chemistry at City was the best he had seen during his time at the club.

“A bit of confidence, bit of momentum and the feel in the group is the best it has been since I’ve been at the club the last two years,” Brattan said.

“This is the first time that I’ve actually believed we can win something.

“The group is so close, the mood and feel is so positive and it’s funny how a couple of good performances, clean sheets and wins over good opposition can boost your confidence.”

Earlier in the season, Brattan saw all the potential to win trophies but City's progress in recent weeks, topped off by a 3-0 win over second-placed Newcastle Jets last round, has him convinced.

“I’ve always believed we could do something but the way we are playing just added to that - I’m 100 per cent sure now we can win this,” Brattan said.

Securing third place will also put City into the play-off round for next year’s Asian Champions League.

“The ACL is what we are aiming at and it’s in our hands,” Brattan said.

“If we want to be the biggest club in Asia then we have to play in Asia and we will do everything we can to make that happen.”

City have had their struggles this season as they adjusted to new coach Warren Joyce, the departure of Tim Cahill and the absence of injured striker Bruno Fornaroli.

But they have persisted and some sage additions, such as past Socceroos Dario Vidosic and Oliver Bozanic, are taking the load off young playmaker Daniel Arzani and the likes of Stefan Mauk and Brattan in midfield.

While Sydney FC remain favourites, a look at City’s line-up shows plenty of title experience led by Brattan, who claimed three titles during his time at Brisbane Roar.

Brattan has been an unsung hero for City this season, filling attacking and right-side midfield roles before returning to his favoured holding midfield position.

He is tied for the lead in the Alex Tobin Award, which is voted on each game by Fox Sports commentators, and still holds hope he could catch the eye of Socceroos coach Bert van Marwijk.

“I would trade that award for a trophy any day of the week,” Brattan said.

“I couldn’t be in that position without the team, it all comes back to the form we are in at the moment.

“It makes me happy seeing that, and I don’t think I’m playing my best football at the moment. I can improve on all areas and, if I can step that up, then hopefully Socceroos will be on the cards.”

Melbourne City play Central Coast Mariners at AAMI Park on Saturday at 7.50pm.

In these final two rounds a lot is going to depend on what sort of attitude teams such as Sydney, Newcastle, Central Coast and Wellington take into them. As I suspect we are seeing in the Newcastle-Perth match at the moment, with nothing riding on it for Newcastle.

29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

In these final two rounds a lot is going to depend on what sort of attitude teams such as Sydney, Newcastle, Central Coast and Wellington take into them. As I suspect we are seeing in the Newcastle-Perth match at the moment, with nothing riding on it for Newcastle.

For us and Victory it is actually a competition of which team versus the teams who care the most.

Typical a-league.

30 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Hmmm not sure about Newy. Form is a fickle thing and whilst they've had nothing to play for position wise, 3 smashings in a row is a real worry for them now. Very difficult to flick the form switch back on for the finals.

13 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

We may end up playing Perth...

At home. Get past them we've got Newcastle and I'd fancy us. Best ever chance of GF. We've put in a great late charge and overhauled Victory. Nearly caught Newy, if we win tomorrow. Not the most thrilling football (that was the season before last) but arguably the most effective across the season. Pleased, let's finish the job. 

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

We get third, the easier path to the GF (if we can do it) and I'd say Joyce gets a "pass" for his first season.

I've seen enough trend changes this season for me to safely say that Joyce already has a pass mark. Taking into consideration that we've basically had 3 different teams this season I reckon he's done quite well. 

Edited by n i k o

6 hours ago, n i k o said:

I've seen enough trend changes this season for me to safely say that Joyce already has a pass mark. Taking into consideration that we've basically had 3 different teams this season I reckon he's done quite well. 

I guess it's a reasonable criticism, if not completely verifiable as his fault, to say the three different teams thing can bee put on him, esp in the case of Killa. The others all have some mitigating circumstances surrounding them i guess.

Regardless, i agree the pass has been obtained. A gf appearance would be an even bigger step forward.

• Like 1

Without being a massive killjoy, I think we need to wait and see what we put up in the finals. 

If we continue with our late resurgence and play well and obviously get some results in the finals then for me its progress and Joyce needs recognition. 

If we produce the same shit we normally do when we play in knock out games and limp out then it's same old and a fail mark for Joyce. 

• Like 1