Melbourne Football

The Run Home and Realistic Expectations

Harrison

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Without being a massive killjoy, I think we need to wait and see what we put up in the finals. 

If we continue with our late resurgence and play well and obviously get some results in the finals then for me its progress and Joyce needs recognition. 

If we produce the same shit we normally do when we play in knock out games and limp out then it's same old and a fail mark for Joyce. 

IMO we need to be fair and allow him to make progress in steps rather than on all fronts. The boys are fitter than ever before, and we can now come back from being behind and get something out of matches. We have the second meanest defence in the league, and achieved our highest-ever league finish. And two of our youth players are now established in the A-League side and IIRC we've not seen that before. IMO not a bad scorecard.

But, as you say, the challenge for the club is to go on from here, because this is the new benchmark.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, n i k o said:

I've seen enough trend changes this season for me to safely say that Joyce already has a pass mark. Taking into consideration that we've basically had 3 different teams this season I reckon he's done quite well. 

The 3 different teams were his choice, so I give him no extra credit there.

Finishing 3rd probably is a “pass”, especially when it’s a club record, though if we come out and lose our first final that might be in question I guess . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bt50 said:

I guess it's a reasonable criticism, if not completely verifiable as his fault, to say the three different teams thing can bee put on him, esp in the case of Killa. The others all have some mitigating circumstances surrounding them i guess.

Regardless, i agree the pass has been obtained. A gf appearance would be an even bigger step forward.

Nah I'm certainly not stifling anyone's opinion whether it's critical or not. My personal opinion based on the changes and positives negatives hence a pass from me.

4 hours ago, Jovan said:

Without being a massive killjoy, I think we need to wait and see what we put up in the finals. 

If we continue with our late resurgence and play well and obviously get some results in the finals then for me its progress and Joyce needs recognition. 

If we produce the same shit we normally do when we play in knock out games and limp out then it's same old and a fail mark for Joyce. 

For me it's more important to judge what progress we've made as a team over 27 games and not 1 knockout game in the finals. Granted I'll be pissed if we perform poorly etc etc. but I don't think Joyce verdict should be dependant on a bit of a lottery game. Anyway that's my personal opinion on that. 

25 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Finishing 3rd probably is a “pass”, especially when it’s a club record, though if we come out and lose our first final that might be in question I guess . 

Agree I don't give him credit for having 3 teams. I give him credit for finishing 3rd after having so many changes (yes changes he made, but still) 

Edited by n i k o

29 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Anything other than a GF appearance is a fail imo.

• Like 1

The safest route for us for an ACL spot is for the tards to lose. But geez I've always wanted a Melbourne derby final with the title on the line and a full ACL spot on the line. Even that would buck the shithouse crowd trends this season. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

He fixed our defence... tick

He got us some balls on the field to work a full 90 minnutes... tick

He has us playing a more reliable and robust style of football... tick

He has developed a culture of the team is bigger than the individual...  tick

He has set the foundation future success... tick

He has lead the club that only a seasoned top grade manager can do... tick

He is on the way to leaving a legacy in both culture and football operations that is a blueprint to the way the club should be run for the future.

So yes success half way through his tenure but I will reserve my final judgement until the end of next season.

PS: Budzinski to fire in the finals.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Every time we've lost a game this season, we haven't won again for 3 matches.

We don't have three matches to get back on track

Apart from all the times we have, sure.

EDIT : Was incredibly unclear on what you said, get it now.

Edited by Tommykins
  • Like 1