Melbourne Football

THE DECIDER Melbourne Derby 2/3, 7.50pm

neio

8 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

We stopped parking the bus and just kicking long balls. As soon as we did that we lost our defensive structure. I can't remember the name of the coach, but someone used to tie and connect the players together with long ropes in training so that they learned to move as a unit and stay compact

Arrigo Sacchi AC Milan I think

• Like 1

We never once looked like winning this game.

Terrible, terrible game.

Joyce outcoached ... midfield useless, and our game plan was controlled by the tards, who let us have the ball in certain areas, and then easily closed us down and hit on the counter. They could’ve beaten us 4 nil to be honest.

At least Bruno scored and got some serious minutes into his legs , although Arzani’s injury looks worrying.

I actually think the  boys pumped themselves up too much and fell flat and just couldn’t play.

At least there were some highlights though. The VAR taking away the 1st goal, the brawl, watching security guards struggle to catch the pitch invader and Troisi missing an open goal at the end.

Strangely not as upset at this loss as I was after Perth, probably because we were never really in it, so from the start I saw that we had no chance.

• Like 3

I can't add to what's been posted already. One of our worst-ever performances. Lack of intensity right from the kick-off. Second to every ball. Disjointed. Slow to react, slow to move, slow to pass, and afraid to shoot. Shameful performance from all concerned and not worthy of the support that the City fans continue to give.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

We never once looked like winning this game.

Terrible, terrible game.

Joyce outcoached ... midfield useless, and our game plan was controlled by the tards, who let us have the ball in certain areas, and then easily closed us down and hit on the counter. They could’ve beaten us 4 nil to be honest.

At least Bruno scored and got some serious minutes into his legs , although Arzani’s injury looks worrying.

I actually think the  boys pumped themselves up too much and fell flat and just couldn’t play.

At least there were some highlights though. The VAR taking away the 1st goal, the brawl, watching security guards struggle to catch the pitch invader and Troisi missing an open goal at the end.

Strangely not as upset at this loss as I was after Perth, probably because we were never really in it, so from the start I saw that we had no chance.

What brawl?

What a fucking terrible night. Not only did we lose the game, performed like beta males and were basically the most mentally fragile cunts I've ever seen but I also had my fucking car broken into, most likely by some junkie cunts. Please die a slow, terrible and painful death you motherfuckers. 

Bozanic is a fucking fraud you shitcunts. 

At least I got to see my mate punch a cunt in the head.

Worst was seeing everyone on the team giving it to Atkinson after every goal we copped. Maybe if we had proper players we'd not need a fucking teenager with all this pressure in his head already to perform one of the hardest jobs on the pitch.

10 hours ago, belaguttman said:

We stopped parking the bus and just kicking long balls. As soon as we did that we lost our defensive structure. I can't remember the name of the coach, but someone used to tie and connect the players together with long ropes in training so that they learned to move as a unit and stay compact

From memory it was George Graham in late 80s early 90s at Arsenal. 

7 hours ago, jeffplz said:

Worst was seeing everyone on the team giving it to Atkinson after every goal we copped. Maybe if we had proper players we'd not need a fucking teenager with all this pressure in his head already to perform one of the hardest jobs on the pitch.

I saw that too. I love Jako as a player but as a leader and captain he doesn't seem to do much. Also what shitted me was Brattans corners. A few times Arzani wanted to take a short quick one but Brattan ignored him and just hit one of his shit corners that never. I mean never beat the first man. 

Now fundamentally I'm completely against short corners and never seen them as anything but a waste BUT if I had to choose between Brattan and his shitty can't beat the first defender every time corner or Arzani atleast he might get butchered and penalty corner I know which one I'd choose.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jeffplz said:

It’s didn’t help Atkinson having a novice centre back next to him. Where the hell is La Rocca?

Jamo’s defending on their 2nd goal is something he won’t want to see on replay. 

Corners. 

We haven’t been a threat from corners all the year.

maybe the gaffer should go out and sign a legendary header of the ball, I mean if we had someone like that in the squad and played them maybe we’d get a few more goals?

i guess we’ve just been unlucky in our squad make up.

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I saw that too. I love Jako as a player but as a leader and captain he doesn't seem to do much. Also what shitted me was Brattans corners. A few times Arzani wanted to take a short quick one but Brattan ignored him and just hit one of his shit corners that never. I mean never beat the first man. 

Now fundamentally I'm completely against short corners and never seen them as anything but a waste BUT if I had to choose between Brattan and his shitty can't beat the first defender every time corner or Arzani atleast he might get butchered and penalty corner I know which one I'd choose.

Brattan is so good running and playing the ball sideways, if we rotated the pitch by 90 degrees we'd be unbeatable. Seriously though, he killed any forward momentum every time he had the ball. And what is it that he won't shoot from the edge of the box?

Lowest home derby crowd - 20,083.

Muscat on 7 yellows - next one he's gone for another match.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Brattan is so good running and playing the ball sideways, if we rotated the pitch by 90 degrees we'd be unbeatable. Seriously though, he killed any forward momentum every time he had the ball. And what is it that he won't shoot from the edge of the box?

Lowest home derby crowd - 20,083.

Muscat on 7 yellows - next one he's gone for another match.

Muscat yellow in last night's game could've gone to anyone and I was surprised he didn't get a second. 

11 hours ago, rass said:

Sick of the same old broken record against these guys. By far the most impotent victory team I've seen so let's gift them two goals.

Fuk me Bart...

Oh, game highlight: Mrs Rass winning an Xbox at half time. Rest of it was fukd.

Was Mrs Rass the woman who was hugely pleased at doing so? Made me smile...

• Like 1

My take from last night.

It was probably a culmination of many factors all finally combining to produce one of our most dissapointing performances for a long time, maybe bordering on some of the beauties under Aloisi. 

We could have lost 1:5. They missed 2 gimmies and Bouzanis made 1 or 2 big saves and we only created 1 or 2 half chances from difficult angles. Jamos free although hit the bar I reackon their keeper was close enough to get a hand on it had it been lower.

Defensively it was a shit show. At no stage did we look like we were in control and completely vulnerable. Jako held Berisha but in actual fact Berisha is half maybe the quarter of player he was and I reackon Berisha actually kept Jako out of the game. The other 3 got completely dominated and offered zero with the ball. Both goals were due to poor positioning and awareness and lack of structure. Shit at the pro level you should never see.

Midfield was very average. With the ball too slow and lacking the confidence or guts to play a risky pass, instead always took the safe option. Without the ball very disjointed and confusing. 

Forwards had very little chances and the only times looked dangerous was when they got 1v1 but even then never in really good areas.

The most disappointing thing the tards are just as shit as us and to lose to such a poor side really shows how shit we are.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, playmaker said:

So just a question..... Without trying to be bias, why are the refs not giving out yellows for consistent fouling on Bruno? Are the refs at fault or are we just over-reacting?

The refs in this league are awful when it comes to punishing any kind of rotational fouling, it's not unique to us.

Sydney get away with it every week.

• Like 2

I thought wazza was brought in to fix our defense? :hmm:

Here is a conspiracy theory. Wazza during the week made comments along the lines of its just a normal game for us etc etc. That seem to reflect the mentality of the performance on the night.

1 minute ago, Embee said:

The refs in this league are awful when it comes to punishing any kind of rotational fouling, it's not unique to us.

Sydney get away with it every week.

8 minutes ago, playmaker said:

So just a question..... Without trying to be bias, why are the refs not giving out yellows for consistent fouling on Bruno? Are the refs at fault or are we just over-reacting?

Its because there was a fan and media driven narrative in his first year that all he does is dive and the ref's have been sucked into that so dont give him anything anymore, oh add to that that he is a foreign player. You look at the reaction from pundits to diving from an Aus player and a foreign player diving. There is a world of difference and since the football world in Aus is tiny, the refs get sucked in to that

Is Osama Malik the missing link for Melbourne City, after another loss?

Michael Lynch

MARCH 3 2018

What's Melbourne City coach Warren Joyce's biggest headache?

The fact that teen star Daniel Arzani, the club's brightest attacking talent, can't play 90 minutes without cramping up and needing to be stretchered off the field?

His team's poor recent record, where a real chance to snatch second spot on the A-League ladder has become a battle to stay in the top four?

Or the fact that without Osama Malik, City can't seem to find the right blend of steel and strength in midfield?

Yes, you read that right - Osama Malik.

As Joyce pointed out after City slid to a third defeat in a row in the final Melbourne derby of the season, it might be no coincidence that his side has fallen out of winning ways with the absence of the tall defensive utility who has been a cornerstone of Joyce's midfield when fit.

Malik injured himself in the warm-up in the home defeat to champions Sydney early in February, forcing Joyce into a hasty pre-kick-off revamp. City lost that game 4-0.

Malik was also unavailable for last week's heartbreaking 2-1 loss to a 97th-minute goal in Perth, and wasabsent for the 2-1 defeat to Victory on Friday night.

Joyce believes that had City had his physical presence on the pitch, things might have been different on at least one occasion.

''I think Malik gets a hell of a lot of stick at this place, but he's been out of the team for three games and we have lost three games with him not playing,'' Joyce said.

City now have 13 days before their next game, away to Adelaide, which the coach hopes will allow the player to recover. ''We will just have to look this week [at how he is].''

Arzani is firing, but the teenager currently lacks the strength and fitness to play a full game at A-League tempo.

Whether that will stop Bert Van Marwijk picking him for the upcoming Socceroos squad is a moot point but Joyce said that while he is a precocious talent, Arzani needs to work on his game.

''I wouldn't be surprised no,'' he said when asked about the prospect of national selection.

''I look at Marcus Rashford [Manchester United's young striker, who Joyce worked at Old Trafford] at the time before he broke in and he got a call-up to the national group.

''He's [Arzani] got X-factor talent, but he has also got things in his game that he has to improve on.

''He's a young kid developing in a man's league and he's going to make mistakes and at times those mistakes cost us. But he also does some really dynamic, clever and exciting things as well.''

In Friday's derby, Arzani lasted 70 minutes before going down with cramp, having to be stretchered off. Could he last a whole game?

''No, he's not capable in my opinion, no,'' Joyce said bluntly.

Joyce's decision to throw on giant centre back Harrison Delbridge in the closing minutes as City chased a late equaliser raised some eyebrows, especially with attacking players Nick Fitzgerald and Stefan Mauk on the bench.

''I thought we were still looking like we could score … I still thought we could create [chances]. I thought we had a pattern and sometimes you can slow the tempo down. I thought we were still maybe good value for a goal.”

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/is-osama-malik-the-missing-link-for-melbourne-city-after-another-loss-20180302-p4z2nl.html

Ah, here we go. The silver bullet excuse. We've lost because we haven't got Malik. Rubbish. Yes, maybe we do miss Malik. But if your aspirations depend on one player to do this, and another player to do that, then you're not going to win silverware.  Relying on just one player to fill a role - such as "a physical presence in midfield", taking free-kicks, taking corners, etc. etc. - then you won't get very far.

For me, Joyce has shown he's a very one-dimensional manager. His job is to build a squad and a team to win the A-League, not a collection of individual players. He hasn't got what it takes to do that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Ah, here we go. The silver bullet excuse. We've lost because we haven't got Malik. Rubbish. Yes, maybe we do miss Malik. But if your aspirations depend on one player to do this, and another player to do that, then you're not going to win silverware.  Relying on just one player to fill a role - such as "a physical presence in midfield", taking free-kicks, taking corners, etc. etc. - then you won't get very far.

For me, Joyce has shown he's a very one-dimensional manager. His job is to build a squad and a team to win the A-League, not a collection of individual players. He hasn't got what it takes to do that.

Hmmm... Kilkenny would have been handy in that role, wouldn't he?

Cahill would have been a handier sub than Delbridge

Brandan would have been handy on the wing.

Tongyik would be a better player with some game time, arguably better than Delbridge

Carusca would be a better number 10 than no real number 10

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Well if you kept Kilkenny eh Waz?

There isn’t much between Kilkenny and Bozanic - both don’t tandem up well with Brattan, which has come to light in the last two games. Shows how silly the whole situation with Kilkenny was, and more personal rather than football related. Wasted a good portion of the cap by outcasting Kilkenny and not playing him. Who knows how much we are paying for Bozanic now. 

I think somebody needs to make Wazza aware that this a salary capped league and he needs set his personal issues aside and make the best with the team he has as we are stuck with these players for the season. Larocca is another example.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Hmmm... Kilkenny would have been handy in that role, wouldn't he?

Cahill would have been a handier sub than Delbridge

Brandan would have been handy on the wing.

Tongyik would be a better player with some game time, arguably better than Delbridge

Carusca would be a better number 10 than no real number 10

8 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

There isn’t much between Kilkenny and Bozanic - both don’t tandem up well with Brattan, which has come to light in the last two games. Shows how silly the whole situation with Kilkenny was, and more personal rather than football related. Wasted a good portion of the cap by outcasting Kilkenny and not playing him. Who knows how much we are paying for Bozanic now. 

I think somebody needs to make Wazza aware that this a salary capped league and he needs set his personal issues aside and make the best with the team he has as we are stuck with these players for the season. Larocca is another example.

These two posts are very nicely put. No use Joyce complaining now - he's dug his own hole and he's going to have to get out of it if he can. Other than perhaps Cahill, he didn't have to change any of the squad we started the season with. And he won the first four matches with them.

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

These two posts are very nicely put. No use Joyce complaining now - he's dug his own hole and he's going to have to get out of it if he can. Other than perhaps Cahill, he didn't have to change any of the squad we started the season with. And he won the first four matches with them.

As Bela said about Brandan. We still have a visa spot left, released several younger up front players - turns out we are lacking firepower up front, Brandan also got released due to not being aligned with Warrens expectations.

Results aren’t there anymore after all the shifting and changing. We can make a list with 4 to 6 players being released under questionable circumstances - things aren’t right behind the scenes.

Nothing up front.  Zero. 

We have no penetration.

Bruno, bless him, is far from match fit, obviously.

Arzani got cramped from the eyeballs down, reading his own hype.  (sorry, youngster) 

Shit free kicks.

Poor corners.

We relied on the luck of the bounce to make any kind of decisive move through their  pretty decent defence.

That really was Melbourne Heart FC on show last night.

Poor crowd would be a huge worry to the powers that be.

• Like 1