Melbourne Football

THE DECIDER Melbourne Derby 2/3, 7.50pm

neio

35 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Nah theyre lame af. The FFA are incompetent no doubt, but the losers at WSW that started these shirts were protesting something completely different, indeed stuff they largely brought on themselves because they were too hool to listen to the government, police, governing body or whoever else.
I've no problem protesting the FFA if that floats your boat, but doing it with those shirts is only going to lump you in with those twats, who are really another enemy in growing our game, and confuse the message even further.

This.

The FFA are a pain in the ass, but publicly associating yourself with a bunch of thugs who are only interested in their own notoriety and blame the FFA for the presence of state  laws is pretty stupid IMO.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Embee said:

This.

The FFA are a pain in the ass, but publicly associating yourself with a bunch of thugs who are only interested in their own notoriety and blame the FFA for the presence of state  laws is pretty stupid IMO.

Would therefore fit half the forum actually...

Bouzanis

Atkinson    Delbridge Jakobsen   Jamieson

Bozanic     Brattan

Budzinski

Arzani               Fornaroli           Vidosic

SUBS Galekovic Fitzy Mauk Tongyik Kamau

Think we'll go with this, although if i was picking i'd be tempted to play Tongyik and Mauk over Bud and Vanilla Ice.
Its possible Bud starts on the bench to replace Bruno also. Tipping a hard fought 1-0 win.

PS that's a back 4 and midfield the Nazi's would be proud of...

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Scoring is going to be a problem for us. With Ross gone, our highest scorer is Budzinski on 5 A-League goals.

I reckon that's a bit of a simplistic way to look at it. You've got Dario who's scored 3 in 8 and Bruno Fornaroli back into the side and hopefully starting. Not to mention that Arzani seems to be pulling the trigger a bit more lately and is a legit goal threat IMO.

The Tard's back 4 is incredibly suspect too, I think we'll score at least two. My biggest concern is that we might leak the other way without Bart and with Robocop likely starting in his place.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, bt50 said:

Nah theyre lame af. The FFA are incompetent no doubt, but the losers at WSW that started these shirts were protesting something completely different, indeed stuff they largely brought on themselves because they were too hool to listen to the government, police, governing body or whoever else.
I've no problem protesting the FFA if that floats your boat, but doing it with those shirts is only going to lump you in with those twats, who are really another enemy in growing our game, and confuse the message even further.

Didn't you see the two "hools"that got kicked out of the Allianz Stadium? It was on Facebook. They were Sydney FC fans. One resisted.

I'm sure the VAR considered it to be a "grey area" and of course they won't be sanctioned.

3 hours ago, belaguttman said:

No decent tickets available, I'm not going to sit with the visit0r fans. I'll be watching on TV:(

What you mean there isn't? I found decent tickets all over the stadium. Excuses, excuses! :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Scoring is going to be a problem for us. With Ross gone, our highest scorer is Budzinski on 5 A-League goals.

It's interesting to look at where the goals are coming from. Looking at all the goals scored since January 1st, excluding Ross McCormack, things looks like this:

Budzinski - 4 

Vidosic - 3

Arzani - 2

Mauk - 1

Not a lot of goals over 9 games. 1 goal a game if Budzinski, Vidosic and Arzani (the top scorers, and usual starters) are counted together. 

We have scored 31 goals over 21 games, so we pretty perfectly average 1.5 goals a game (in practice, 1 goal one game and 2 goals the next game). Also, this season our final scored breakdown is: scoreless 3 times, 1 goal 8 times, 2 goal 9 times, 5 goals 1 time.

So only looking at the stats, we are indeed likely to score 2 goals (and only 2 goals) on Friday, with Budzinski and Vidosic being the scorers. 

IMO, the team urgently needs Fornaroli back in the team. Also, another proper forward (such as a winger) who could score goals regularly would be a huge plus (maybe Arzani?). If Melbourne City gets a frontline that can fire, and we don't need to rely on goals from midfield, then the team can score enough goals to turn draws into wins and finish strongly(we have 2 draws over the last 6 rounds [both 2-2 draws]). While it's arguable we are scoring an ok or passable amount of goals, if we're to get lots of points over the last 6 games--and to have a genuinely good chance in the finals--then I agree we could really use some more firepower.

Edited by Murfy1

Bragging rights? Warren Joyce just wants three Melbourne Derby points

March 1, 2018

Warren Joyce is declining to get caught up in the hype of this week’s Melbourne Derby.

Joyce’s Melbourne City side will head into Friday night’s fixture in third position on the A-League table, just four points clear of cross-town rivals Melbourne Victory with only six games left to play in the 2017-18 regular season.

But with the second-placed Newcastle Jets sitting eight points clear of his side heading into the round, Joyce is not proselytising the need to secure Melbourne bragging rights or a desire to enact revenge for December’s 1-0 Christmas Derby defeat; but instead the need for consistent wins.

Speaking at City’s Bundoora headquarters on Thursday, Joyce called on his City side to bring the intensity and passion concomitant with derbies to every game they play during the rest of the campaign.

“Derbies … you look forward to big games all the time,” he said.

“We can’t approach it and treat it any bigger than any other game.

“If you do that its detrimental to your own mind, it means you are not putting all that concentration and effort into every game.

“Every game from now until the end of the season has got to feel like a derby game or a grand final.

“That’s how you have got to look at it, you’ve got to relish it, look forward to it, stand up to it and enjoy it, put every little bit of concentration effort and skill into getting through those games.

“We have six, seven eight, nine grand finals to come and we have to win every single game that we play from now to the end of the season.”

While Joyce himself claims to be focusing on the next game, there are likely to be others – in Bundoora, Manchester and Abu Dahbi, with a different view.

Since their purchase of the then Heart in 2014, much has been made of the City Football Group’s desire to see their Australian investment play Asian Champions League football, with City yet to qualify for the prestigious tournament since the purchase.

Asked how important he himself felt playing in the ACL was, or if the importance of City taking part in it had been communicated to him, Joyce once again played a straight bat.

“First and foremost, you’re are trying to win the league, that’s your aim at the start,” he added.

“You’re trying to win every single game.

“If that’s your aim and you put all your focus on that, the other things look after themselves.

“It’s got to be the same focus on that, you try and win every game and if you do that all the little side things that come from winning games and being successful happen.

“You look at the short term, concentrate on that, and if you don’t have the performances, don’t have the wins you don’t get them things.

“It’s an obvious statement that you want to be competing with the Sydneys, be involved in Asia, involved in all the cup competitions right down to the death.

“That’s been the same approach from the first day of preseason.

“Every single game that we lose is a massive disappointment. Every single game we draw is a massive disappointment, but you pick up and go again and try and win the next one.

“Any player, if you have something about you, you do those things all the time.”

One player that will come under intense focus during the derby is City’s new signing, Oliver Bozanic.

Signed as a free agent to the club on 10 February, Bozanic made his first start for City last week against Perth, playing a full 90 minutes as his side lost 2-1 thanks to two late goals from Perth Glory’s Neil Kilkenny and Adam Taggart.

Bozanic of course, spent two seasons at Victory, scoring five goals in 48 appearances after signing a three-year marquee deal with the club in September of 2015.

Asked if he expected his history with Victory to give his new signing an extra boost during the game, Joyce downplayed the impact that playing his former club would have on Bozanic.

“It’s not about having a point to prove, players who are professional conduct themselves the right way and live the right way and do the right things all the time anyway,” he said.

“I’ve been impressed by him as a man as well as a player.

“Fitness and game time is lacking but he has come into the group as type of professional you want at this club.

“You can sense he has got some pride about him, I would imagine the pride in his own performance is no different playing from last week to this week, to playing a five a side game out there or playing a game behind closed doors. He wants to do the right things.

“You want to perform well for the fans and the owners of the clubs, then they want to perform for themselves and their families, but that’s the same for every game to the end of the season.”

http://dailyfootballshow.com/bragging-rights-warren-joyce-just-wants-three-melbourne-derby-points/

Will Bruno Fornaroli start in the Melbourne derby?

By Michael Lynch

1 March 2018

Melbourne City coach Warren Joyce doesn't say he has a dillemma in whether or not to make Bruno Fornaroli his key man in Friday night's derby against Melbourne Victory.

Fornaroli has a heart like a lion, is desperate to play, but having missed most of the season through injury is not fully fit and is still coping with pain from a broken ankle.

The temptation is to take him at his word when he says he can do the job.

''His heart is massive, he's desperate to be involved, then you come back from Perth and he can't train,'' Joyce reflected when asked about the Uruguayan's readiness for what is always a bruising, high tempo encounter.

''He's itchy to get playing (but) if you got one day, two days, five days where you don't train and you have been out for a long time it's hard to get up to the levels that people expect and have seen before.

'"It's managing him one day to the next, saying how are you this morning. That's the thing we have got to contend with.

''It's not like coming back from a thigh strain where you have done all the rehab and you have got the build up and the muscles and you have had the scan and i'ts clear and now you can kick on. It's not as simple an injury as that.''

In the absence of the now-departed Ross McCormack and the captain Fornaroli, teenage forward Daniel Arzani has become the go-to man for City.

Joyce is an unabashed admirer of Arzani's talent, and is sure to make him a focal point of City's frontline in what will be the 19-year-old's first derby start.

But he also knows that for all his ability, Arzani, who has now played the number of games required to trigger the next year of his deal at City, has lots to learn.

''He still has things he can improve on, but you see little bits every day (where he is) better in understanding and better in decision making and even physically better.

"I think if he continues that journey you would expect him to have a really bright footballing career. When you are that young, with that amount of talent, you have to challenge yourself to be perfect for everything.

''He has got a brain, and he's one of the last to leave this club every day, and if you keep working like that you improve in all areas and there's no limit to what you can reach.

''I think he's got to aim to do that, put high demands on himself all the time and not just target one area, target everything and see how good he can really become and how far he can go.''

One fascinating sub-plot in this match will be the performance of Oliver Bozanic, who is likely to line up in midfield for City having previously done the same thing in Melbourne derbies for Victory.

Joyce says he has been impressed by the contribution Bozanic has made around the club in the short time he has been there and doesn't believe that the midfielder will need any special motivation against his former club.

''It's not about a point to prove ... players who are professional, who conduct themselves the right way and live the right way do the right things all the time anyway.

''I have been impressed by him as a man as well as a player. Fitness and game time is lacking but he has come into the group as the right type of professional you want at this club.

''You can sense he has got some pride about him, I would imagine the pride in his own performance is no different playing from last week to this week, to playing a five-a-side game out there or playing a game behind closed doors. He wants to do the right things.''

Tall defender Harrison Delbridge is set to start at the heart of defence to cover for suspended Bart Schenkenveld, while Osama Malik is still not fit enough to take his place in midfield. Youngster Nathaniel Atkinson has come through his first match back from injury well and could start.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/will-bruno-fornaroli-start-in-the-melbourne-derby-20180301-p4z2ax.html

I like to see the emphasis that Joyce puts on "every game" in that first article. It's something that I think has been missing from our club right from the start, and one of the reasons that we haven't been successful in the League so far.

9 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Didn't you see the two "hools"that got kicked out of the Allianz Stadium? It was on Facebook. They were Sydney FC fans. One resisted.

I'm sure the VAR considered it to be a "grey area" and of course they won't be sanctioned.

What you mean there isn't? I found decent tickets all over the stadium. Excuses, excuses! :rolleyes:

A 'decent ticket' is one where I can sit without being surrounded by visit0rs. The only chance of that (apart from expensive tickets) is at the Melbournians end and there are no tickets available there on Ticketek

14 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

A 'decent ticket' is one where I can sit without being surrounded by visit0rs. The only chance of that (apart from expensive tickets) is at the Melbournians end and there are no tickets available there on Ticketek

There were plenty earlier in the week, a mate of mine bought himself a ticket on Tuesday and all the home end bays were green aside from 16, which was half green.

There's still some on the side bays of the home end too actually.

city bays.png

18 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Fairly sure (happy to be corrected) they put an embargo on active on the day of the event. Just buy a cheap ticket and walk into active, we be 3/4 empty anyway

19 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Well that's your fault for not being prepared really isnt it.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Embee said:

There were plenty earlier in the week, a mate of mine bought himself a ticket on Tuesday and all the home end bays were green aside from 16, which was half green.

There's still some on the side bays of the home end too actually.

city bays.png

All Ticketek are offering me are 'partially obstructed view' tickets (whatever that means at AAMI) or tickets in Bay 23 - sat there season 1 - terrible viewing

14 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Well that's your fault for not being prepared really isnt it.

Yes it is, I put in quite a bit of time on the phone to the franchise explaining that as I mostly live in the country, Saturday and certainly Sunday games are out for us and why couldn't they offer a 5 game Active ticket as that's where we've always gone. All they were prepared to offer were 5 game GA. We've been to 3 games and that'll probably be it. I'm over the Ticketek palaver every derby, I don't want to pay for a season ticket to only be able to get to a few games. Luckily the franchise has so many season ticket holders that they can afford to do without us.

I should have tried harder, especially, I should have been inspired by our recent performances

Edited by belaguttman

Well, there were still three pairs of tickets in Bay 20 when I looked just now. You are pushing it a bit to leave it to the day of the match.

The matter of a 5-match active ticket was on the list tabled at the FRG meeting of 26th February, so we wait to see the response to it in due course.

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well, there were still three pairs of tickets in Bay 20 when I looked just now. You are pushing it a bit to leave it to the day of the match.

The matter of a 5-match active ticket was on the list tabled at the FRG meeting of 26th February, so we wait to see the response to it in due course.

Ticketek, in its perversity, hasn't given me any Bay 20 options for the last 2 weeks. It's either given me various Level 2 options or Bay 23 options.

12 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Ticketek, in its perversity, hasn't given me any Bay 20 options for the last 2 weeks. It's either given me various Level 2 options or Bay 23 options.

@belaguttman Because you didn't ask it to!

Go to "Get Tickets", select City Blue, click on Bay 20, and then it will offer you tickets in that Bay!!! I've just done it. It offers me V342 and V343.