Melbourne Football

THE DECIDER Melbourne Derby 2/3, 7.50pm

neio

No Schenkeveld, probably no Malik, possible no Atkinson.

Assume Muscat plays at RB. Really worried at what George will do to him. Delbridge will come in for Bart, I'd prefer larocca but won't happen.

Bruno hopefully can start probably for Fitzgerald

Bouzanis

Muscat.       Delbridge.     Jakobsen.   Jamieson

Brattan.      Bozanic

Budzinski

Arzani.                Fornaroli.         Vidosic

Galekovic, Tongyik, Fitzgerald, Genreau, ___________ (hopefully not Kamau)

Edited by thisphantomfortress

1 hour ago, neio said:

No Schenkeveld, probably no Malik, possible no Atkinson.

Assume Muscat plays at RB. Really worried at what George will do to him. Delbridge will come in for Bart, I'd prefer larocca but won't happen.

Bruno hopefully can start probably for Fitzgerald

Bouzanis

Muscat.       Delbridge.     Jakobsen.   Jamieson

Brattan.      Bozanic

Budzinski

Arzani.                Fornaroli.         Vidosic

Galekovic, Tongyik, Fitzgerald, Genreau, ___________ (hopefully not Kamau)

This would be what I have been hoping to see. Arzani on while he still has the energy to take the ball and put it in the penalty area and Bruno sitting there waiting for it.

15 minutes ago, rass said:

Challenge is who'll be the first out of Geria, Williams, Broxham or Sanchez to try and break Arzani's legs.

I'll go with Valeri.

Big call, poor bastard still seems to have a permanent case of vertigo. He'd be more likely to kick someone in the throat.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Melbourne City marquee star Bruno Fornaroli say he’s ready for derby start

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

February 27, 2018

MELBOURNE City striker Bruno Fornaroli admits he still feels ankle pain but said he is ready to start in Friday’s local derby after two substitute appearances.

Fornaroli was robbed of crucial minutes, with Bart Schenkeveld’s 67th minute red card forcing as reshuffle with fellow defender Harrison Delbridge coming on instead of the Uruguayan who was stripped and ready to come on last week.

Despite playing just 11 minutes Fornaroli had a chance to score before Perth Glory’s Adam Taggart netted the winner.

Fornaroli admitted he was lacking sharpness but coupled with his impressive 26 minute return the week before in the loss to Sydney FC, said was ready for a first XI spot.

“It’s different when you don’t play for the last six months but I am ready. I trained today and I’m feeling amazing,’’ Fornaroli said.

“I work hard outside the pitch, my mind is free now. I can play.

“I’m training every day with pain. Sometimes the pain leaves me, sometimes it’s harder, but I have to work everyday and try to do everything well.

“When you spend a lot of time injured it (pain) is normal. The danger is not the injury, after the surgery they say you will feel pain for (a period). I can’t think about this.

“When I play also I forget a little bit and my ankle gets better, I don’t think about it, I’m not scared to put the foot in. This is a good thing for me, I don’t remember the tackle.

“I still need minutes to get 110 per cent but I think this is the only way when I play.”

Fornaroli revealed that watching the pre-Christmas clash was gut-wrenching but he was thrilled to be part of his first Melbourne derby after providing some memorable moments in recent years.

“I’m here, I try to play this game. I live the derby game,’’ he said.

“One of my hardest moments was when I went to watch the second game in AAMI Park, I turn around in the car, I saw too many people, our fans, I said ‘I want to play in this game’. “Maybe if they had put me in my ankle wouldn’t have been sore.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/melbourne-city-marquee-star-bruno-fornaroli-say-hes-ready-for-derby-start/news-story/294dc7958d45cda41392b328aad7d38a?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Daniel Arzani wants to use Melbourne Derby as stage to prove international credentials

Ben McKay
FEBRUARY 28, 2018

HE’S had just seven A-League starts but Melbourne City teenager Daniel Arzani says he’s as ready as he’ll ever be for a Socceroos call-up.

And he plans to show his readiness for the big time with a showing on one of the biggest A-League stages - the Melbourne derby.

Arzani, 19, wasn’t in his club’s plans when the last derby rolled around just prior to Christmas.

He hasn’t missed a match since, becoming a permanent member of the City side with whirlwind displays of his talent on the wing.

As it happens, Victory are the only A-League opponent Arzani is yet to face in his seven starts - nine appearances in total - and he can’t wait.

“I’m really excited to be playing. Can’t wait. It’s going to be a crazy atmosphere and it’s very exciting,” he said.

“I want to go into this derby and just run at players. I’m really happy to be starting and I just hope I can do really well.

“I always had that confidence in myself.

“I just felt like I needed a chance and it was just about working hard at training and making sure I get that chance so when I do I’m ready for it.”

It could be the only derby he plays in.

Arzani is out of contract at season’s end and has been tipped by teammate Luke Brattan to pursue a deal overseas to fulfil his undoubted potential. Despite the hunger of local fans eager to see Australian football’s ‘next big thing’, Arzani expects to be booed at AAMI Park.

“I always expect to get booed. I even get booed in Perth, Brisbane, whatever. It’s all good,” he said.

“I’m not sure (why it happens). I’ve heard a couple of different reasons as to why.

“I think the opposition just boo you because they don’t want to see you doing well.

“It’s not a big deal it helps me if anything, I get a bit fired up.”

Socceroos coach Bert van Marwijk is expected to name an extended squad for the March friendlies with Norway and Colombia over the weekend.

At the time of the last derby, it would have been laughable to suggest that Arzani’s name would be among those selected.

Now, it would seem negligent for the Dutchman not to call the Sydney-raised teenager into camp just to get a look at him.

Arzani, who is also eligible to play for Iran, didn’t definitively answer whether he would represent Australia if asked but said he was waiting for a call.

“I’d be very happy to get called up and I feel like I’m as ready as I’ll ever be,” he said.

“I think I can be a bit better physically but my mindset is as good as it’s going to get.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/daniel-arzani-wants-to-use-melbourne-derby-as-stage-to-prove-international-credentials/news-story/591b5d249b09a8f45264f3f356e4a21a

Team News: City’s Round 22 Squad

melbournecityfc.com.au

2 hrs ago

The team is in for Friday’s Decider Melbourne Derby. See who’s in the who’s out of this week’s side.

Defensive reinforcements have come in for the 26th edition of the Derby with Manny Muscat and Ruon Tongyik returning to the side to replace the suspended Bart Schenkeveld.

Muscat missed the bench in the clash with Perth through illness while Tongyik returns to the selection mix for one of the biggest games of the season.

City’s attacking arsenal has been retained for the contest with Daniel Arzani, Nick Fitzgerald, Bruce Kamau, Marcin Budzinski and Dario Vidosic fit and firing for the contest while Bruno Fornaroli is closer to playing more minutes as he works his way back to full match fitness.

City face Victory in The Decider Melbourne Derby on Friday night, kick-off 7.50pm. Get your tickets for the contest below.

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Dean Bouzanis, 2.Manny Muscat, 3. Scott Jamieson, 4. Harrison Delbridge, 7. Nick Fitzgerald, 8.Oliver Bozanic, 10.Dario Vidosic, 11. Bruce Kamau, 13. Stefan Mauk, 14.Daniel Arzani, 15.Denis Genreau, 18. Eugene Galekovic, 21.Ruon Tongyik, 22. Michael Jakobsen, 23.Bruno Fornaroli, 26. Luke Brattan, 27. Marcin Budzinski, 37.Nathaniel Atkinson

Ins: 2.Manny Muscat (returns from illness), 21.Ruon Tongyik (promoted), 15.Denis Genreau (promoted)

Outs: 5.Bart Schenkeveld (suspended – 1 week)

Unavailable: 6.Osama Malik (quad), 19.Christian Cavallo (quad)

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/team-news-citys-round-22-squad