Melbourne Football

RD 21: Glory v City, Saturday Feb 24 10pm

Harrison

12 hours ago, neio said:

Apparently Muscat picked up a virus matchday, and that's why he couldn't take his spot in side

He was in Perth and probably would have started 

Can't blame anyone for that one, just unfortunate

Fair point on Muscat specifically. Nonetheless, I'd still say that having zero cover for Atkinson was being very hopeful. Having no cover for a kid who's just had a long injury, and expecting him to play 90+ minutes away in Perth, was asking for trouble.

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@Murfy1 We also released John Roberts, another prolific young striker and Scholarship player after signing him only 8 months or so previously, and we should also probably count Anthony Caceres, who had signed for us for 2017/18 and was in pre-season and didn't depart until the end of July 2017.

IMO some very poor decisions have been made this season and they are definitely hurting us.

Agree on all those points. Looking back, I think much of the optimism over the first month of the season in October had as much to do with our squad (and the potential of all the players in the squad) as the successful/winning football we were playing at that time. 

However, instead of seeing Fornaroli, Brandan, Carrusca and more integrate into the team together, we are trying to integrate new players mid-season in Delbridge, Vidosic, Bozanic. Apart from Vidosic, the highest amount of mid-season turnover we've ever had is not paying off ATM. And instead of building for the future, I am also concerned that some of these poor decisions- like signing Delbridge for 3 seasons- will definitely hurt us more as time goes on.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

...However, instead of seeing Fornaroli, Brandan, Carrusca and more integrate into the team together, we are trying to integrate new players mid-season in Delbridge, Vidosic, Bozanic. Apart from Vidosic, the highest amount of mid-season turnover we've ever had is not paying off ATM...

I hear what you're saying but I'd argue that until the Sydney game, we were unbeaten since the first week of the year and if it wasn't for player brain fades, we would've come back from Perth with another win.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, rass said:

I hear what you're saying but I'd argue that until the Sydney game, we were unbeaten since the first week of the year and if it wasn't for player brain fades, we would've come back from Perth with another win.

And my point is why do we still have player brain fades season after season? Two matches this season where a decent draw and a valuable point have been thrown away in the final seconds of matches.

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

And my point is why do we still have player brain fades season after season? Two matches this season where a decent draw and a valuable point have been thrown away in the final seconds of matches.

Yep it's a real concern isn't it and so very frustrating. It's been happening over a number of years with different players and coaches.

I just think it's too convenient to blame coaching in those instances. We're talking about seasoned adult professionals here. Stuff like mouthing off, sliding in recklessly on a yellow, switching off and not concentrating when a team has a free kick deep in your defence.... Cmon, these guys know better than that. So frustrating!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, rass said:

Yep it's a real concern isn't it and so very frustrating. It's been happening over a number of years with different players and coaches.

I just think it's too convenient to blame coaching in those instances. We're talking about seasoned adult professionals here. Stuff like mouthing off, sliding in recklessly on a yellow, switching off and not concentrating when a team has a free kick deep in your defence.... Cmon, these guys know better than that. So frustrating!

@rass The ""coaches or players?" argument has gone on here as long as the brain fades have been occurring, and I have reached the point where I agree with you that the players have to take responsibility and be held accountable. I don't think they are being held accountable, at least not publicly, and IMO it's time they were. I don't agree with Joyce's "We deserved a point out of this match" - we didn't deserve a thing, because we stuffed it up it up completely, as we did against Victory, and we were simply not good enough as a professional football team. I'll leave it at that.

• Like 2

Oh so true re player accountability. Players these days know first point of scrutiny and blame is always the coach. Throw in the ability to break contracts at ease and earn more in 90minutes than a normal person can in 100 lifetimes, they get just a little too much protection imo.

Look I'm not saying coaches aren't to blame. Joyce for instance has definitely made errors in his time here. I just don't like that as soon as something goes wrong, we all blame the coach.

39 minutes ago, haz said:

Its the HAL not the Premier League, 20% of players in the HAL should only be NPL level. There will always be brain fades, if players here werent making them, they would be in a much better league already.

Staying on brand, nice. Hyundai will be impressed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, haz said:

Its the HAL not the Premier League, 20% of players in the HAL should only be NPL level. There will always be brain fades, if players here werent making them, they would be in a much better league already.

That's possibly true, but if it is I say that for a CFG club that aspires to be a force in the A-League and in Asia we have far too many too often.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

That's possibly true, but if it is I say that for a CFG club that aspires to be a force in the A-League and in Asia we have far too many too often.

This is where the cap causes the problems. You will never have a team full of players in the HAL which wont have brain farts

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, haz said:

This is where the cap causes the problems. You will never have a team full of players in the HAL which wont have brain farts

I would say that Sydney have done pretty well for two seasons in a row...if they're still having them, it isn't harming their success. But I just don't buy your argument. All the player has to do is focus for 95 minutes 27 times per season. FMD, that's hardly too much is it? Plenty of ordinary people have critical jobs where far greater focus is required than that.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I would say that Sydney have done pretty well for two seasons in a row...if they're still having them, it isn't harming their success. But I just don't buy your argument. All the player has to do is focus for 95 minutes 27 times per season. FMD, that's hardly too much is it? Plenty of ordinary people have critical jobs where far greater focus is required than that.

Thats the thing, imagine someone working for as a developer for Apple, vs one at some small company in a basment. The skill level will be different.

Well what i saw is that we sent out a different team in the second half, well we must have or Joyce told them to defend not to attack because what i witnessed was total capitulation and  a complete shambles  for the whole second half . Bloody awful football just so frustrating and it almost cost me a new tv  as i was so angry  my wife had to calm me down.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rass said:

Using your argument, Bouzanis' last min fuk up against Victory was totally acceptable because he doesn't have the skills to be in another league.

Get real...

Not its not acceptable, but thats not the point.

He's here because he couldnt make it overseas

21 hours ago, haz said:

Thats the thing, imagine someone working for as a developer for Apple, vs one at some small company in a basment. The skill level will be different.

Steve Jobs and Steve Waozniak started Apple in their parent's garage. And another developer Gates (Bil??) started Microsoft in a small run down apartment.

23 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Steve Jobs and Steve Waozniak started Apple in their parent's garage. And another developer Gates (Bil??) started Microsoft in a small run down apartment.

Haha this conversation is getting way off track. When I mentioned Apple I meant their current status.

I guess you could apply your example, Arzani is starting in the basement (HAL) and will soon be good enough for Apple/Microsoft (EPL/Bundesliga).

• Like 1