Melbourne Football

RD 21: Glory v City, Saturday Feb 24 10pm

Harrison

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Totally pointless having both Kamau and Fitzgerald on the bench in the same squad. Perhaps the thing that annoys me most of all about Warren Joyce is his support for Kamau - the guy wouldn't make the match-day squad for any other team in the League.

Politely, i strongly disagree with this statement.

• Like 6

But are Atkinson and Fornaroli fit enough to start? Whats the temp going to be in Perth?

Have to laugh though that Perth probaly terminated Warren's contract quickly before he came up agaisnt Arzani. Remember how much our White Pastey Saviour made him look like a fool?

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, haz said:

But are Atkinson and Fornaroli fit enough to start? Whats the temp going to be in Perth?

Have to laugh though that Perth probaly terminated Warren's contract quickly before he came up agaisnt Arzani. Remember how much our White Pastey Saviour made him look like a fool?

Every player makes Warren look like a fool. ..

Just watch us sign him

7 hours ago, bt50 said:

I can't say ive ever watched him closely enough to have a firm opinion personally, but i have heard from a lot of Victory fans that think he was a bit unfairly maligned due to the fact he was a marquee. In other words that he was ok for them, but was made out to be a lot worse than he was because he wasnt delivering marquee worthy performances. I'll take your word as far as you think him being a winger goes, although i do note he played predominately as a DM for Victory in his two seasons, and varied between DM and LM for most of his others.
I suppose the next most likely options are that Jakobsen moves to DM with Delbridge at CB, Mauk fills the DM role, or Genreau is given the chance. For me i think Bozanic will be given first crack as the others, Genreau aside have had plenty.

Totally agree with the whole marquee expectation. To be honest I haven't seen enough of him except to say I could see him on the wing more so than in midfield especially in an 6 or 8 role. Anyway we'll see and find out as we go. 

Melbourne City go hard before trip to Perth

MATT WINDLEY, Herald Sun
February 22, 2018 11:00am

IF it worked once, do it again.

Melbourne City has historically had a shocking record against Perth at nib Stadium, winning just two of 13 games there.

But one of those wins came in January and was off the back of a three-day break.

So City — superstitiously or not — played a full-blown intraclub match at its Bundoora training base on Wednesday night before travelling west on Thursday.

Having had last week off due to the A-League’s split round, the blow out also negates against any problems with rust on Saturday night.

68582473044a14f226899a7ea9da5e2b?width=650  

“With us travelling away and having had the break, putting us through that will hopefully blow those cobwebs out,” Jamieson said.

“The advanced clubs, the ones who are always trying to improve, are always trying to think outside the box.

“And, for me, it’s always good to mix things up. It might be a small thing like training at night, but it can get you out of the daily grind.”

Jamieson said City would be on “red alert” for a reaction from Perth, stung by its late loss to Wellington last week.

The eighth-placed Glory, seven points out of the top six, also needs wins to keep its finals hopes alive.

0e8c9a80b5827b99fc284ba0166ba3e8?width=650  

But Jamieson said the fact that City won in Perth recently would do wonders for the team’s confidence heading into the weekend.

“You always lean on past experiences and the previous one we had there was a good one,” he said.

Star striker Bruno Fornaroli made a second half comeback in his side’s last outing, the loss to Sydney FC at AAMI Park.

Jamieson said it can’t be understated how important the Uruguayan’s return is both literally to the team.

“It’s fantastic,” he said.

746f6271a25e93a8ca2eb3b48c2bf4eb?width=650  

“Looking outside, as I was, you can see how important Bruno is to the club. But having now got to know him on a personal level, he’s a real good guy.

“Having him day in day out now training with us, it gives a positive feeling around the place.

“But I also think the thing with Bruno is, considering how long he’s been out for, I don’t think there should be any expectations for him to produce what he has in the past straight away. There’s definitely not in the playing group, anyway.

“He needs time to get match sharpness back.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/melbourne-city-go-hard-before-trip-to-perth/news-story/f19563312af2e2e9319224f56875ab7a

19 hours ago, bt50 said:

Bouzanis

Atkinson     Schenkeveld     Jakobsen      Jamieson

Bozanic            Brattan

Budzinski

Arzani                  Fornaroli           Vidosic

SUBS Galekovic, Delbridge, Fitzgerald, Kamau, Mauk

Atkinson straight back in for mine, Delbridge provides cover across both FB and CB. Genreau stiff.

Should be able to roll these blokes comfortably, but being in Perth does make me cautious. 2-1 win, Bruno and Arzani to score.

I'd make 2 changes to the above. I would try Mauk next to Brattan and leave Bozanic on the bench. And I drop either Kamau or Fitzy out of the squad for most probably Genreau. Only because Fitzy and Kamau are very similar in what they offer. And basically it will be for Arzani around 60 to 70 when he runs out of gas. I'm hoping Budz can kick on and  really cement a spot. A front 4 or Arzani Bruno and Vidosic with Budz in the hole is pretty impressive  (if in form) and Atkinson and Jamieson pushing high really would complement a good forward phase. 

I'm very bullish for this game and genuinely think we can win but would be happy with a point.

• Like 1

Bozanic set to start as City look to get Sydney defeat out of system

Michael Lynch

FEBRUARY 23 2018

Players and coaches will usually say they appreciate a two-week break somewhere in the season, especially if it gives them a chance to recharge their batteries, examine their season and readjust their aims and targets for the remaining games.

Melbourne City boss Warren Joyce has been able to do all of that, and more.

But ask him if he and his squad have enjoyed the downtime, and the answer is no.

So disappointed were the City squad and players with their last result – that heavy 4-0 home defeat to Sydney FC – that they were champing at the bit to get on the pitch straight away, rather than have to wait 15 days to face Perth in Western Australia on Saturday night.

''To be honest we could have done with a game straight away after that last match,'' says Joyce.

''I didn't feel the scoreline reflected the game. They were good but in the last 20 minutes we were chasing the game, putting on attacking players and leaving ourselves vulnerable.''

City will be without Osama Malik, whose injury in the last moments of the pre-game warm-up against Sydney forced his withdrawal from that game and ensured Joyce had to reshuffle his pack at short notice, bringing Manny Muscat into the side and moving other players around.

''That didn't help because all of the things you are doing, all the way you are preparing all week leading into the game changed at short notice. But that's gone now. We just have to concentrate on getting results over the rest of the season and not think about what's gone before.''

Malik has not recovered in time to play in this game, but the extra time off has given talismanic striker Bruno Fornaroli more time to get in shape following his first appearance of the season off the bench against Sydney.

The Uruguayan forward is still recovering and feels pain, says Joyce, so managing his situation is still a day-to-day occupation.

New signing Oliver Bozanic, a former Melbourne Victory and Socceroo midfielder, is also likely to start against Glory.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/bozanic-set-to-start-as-city-look-to-get-sydney-defeat-out-of-system-20180223-p4z1g7.html

Oliver Bozanic set for City A-League debut

By AAP

36 minutes ago

Oliver Bozanic will make his Melbourne City debut against Perth Glory on Saturday night but there's still no certainty as to when stricken club captain Bruno Fornaroli will return to full-time A-League duties.

Fornaroli spent six months recuperating from an ankle injury before returning to action in City's last-out loss to Sydney FC.

After a bye last weekend, hopes were high the Uruguayan golden boot winner might be ready to lead City's line once more.

While Fornaroli will travel to Perth, coach Warren Joyce is unsure whether he'll be playing.

"We still have to monitor him on a daily basis ... he's not progressed as quickly as we'd like," Joyce said.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/02/23/13/04/bruno-bozanic-set-for-city-a-league-debut

On 23/02/2018 at 10:44 AM, Jovan said:

I'd make 2 changes to the above. I would try Mauk next to Brattan and leave Bozanic on the bench. And I drop either Kamau or Fitzy out of the squad for most probably Genreau. Only because Fitzy and Kamau are very similar in what they offer. And basically it will be for Arzani around 60 to 70 when he runs out of gas. I'm hoping Budz can kick on and  really cement a spot. A front 4 or Arzani Bruno and Vidosic with Budz in the hole is pretty impressive  (if in form) and Atkinson and Jamieson pushing high really would complement a good forward phase. 

I'm very bullish for this game and genuinely think we can win but would be happy with a point.

Pretty much the same for me, but I wouldn't mind seeing Najjarine but I can't see that happening.

13 minutes ago, haz said:

fml Bozanic is not a midfielder. let alone a CDM

His best football was when he was with Luzern and played as a number 8, a bonafied box to box. This talk of him being a winger over a central midfielder is incorrect, hopefully he can get hit his straps with us.

Would probably say this is our best starting XI, barring Fornaroli on the bench

Swap Fornaroli in for Fitzy and we have a very good side on paper

• Like 1

Just now, fiji19 said:

His best football was when he was with Luzern and played as a number 8, a bonafied box to box. This talk of him being a winger over a central midfielder is incorrect, hopefully he can get hit his straps with us.

Would probably say this is our best starting XI, barring Fornaroli on the bench

Swap Fornaroli in for Fitzy and we have a very good side on paper

If he scores or assists im happy, even if he does it from GK

1 minute ago, recyclosaurusrex said:

Budz off for Bruno at half time please.

Yes please, seems to have his mind somewhere else from the first minute. He’s back to the old ways again, walking around and no movement after playing a pass. Invisible. 

Him and Fitzgerald are making sure we can’t setup a proper attack.