Melbourne Football

RD 21: Glory v City, Saturday Feb 24 10pm

Harrison

7 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Massive danger game. Teams are often flat after a break and Killa will be firing up his new team mates to hit us hard ...

I fear for Bruno’s ankle and they will almost certainly target Arzani. Two quick early goals would be ideal.  

I hope they target Arzani, he's been able to handle increased attention so far and that approach would free up space for Bruno and Vidosic.

If anything, we've been overly cautious with most of our injury issues during the City era, so if Bruno's back out there I'm sure he's ready to go.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Massive danger game. Teams are often flat after a break and Killa will be firing up his new team mates to hit us hard ...

I fear for Bruno’s ankle and they will almost certainly target Arzani. Two quick early goals would be ideal.  

They're a dirty, cynical side with a desperate manager. They'll target Bruno's ankle.

I see this match as the start of the season "end game." Perth (away), MV (home), Adelaide (away), WSW (home), Newcastle (away), Central Coast (home), and Wellington (away). All winnable, and at the same time all losable. I see this series of matches as determining whether Warren Joyce and the upheavals of the season have made any real difference to the grit and determination of the A-League squad.

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I see this series of matches as determining whether Warren Joyce and the upheavals of the season have made any real difference to the grit and determination of the A-League squad.

I feel like ive heard this multiple times throughout the season on this forum :tooth:

2 hours ago, haz said:

I feel like ive heard this multiple times throughout the season on this forum :tooth:

Not directed at jw as I think he has a point regarding how he's worded it but my favourite is where people say "this is a must win game" everytime 

Edited by n i k o

Just now, n i k o said:

Not directed at jw as I think he has a point regarding how he's worded it but my favourite is where people say "this is a must win game" everytime 

In addition to that I've noticed that the statement of this season has been 'this match will show us where we are really at.'

Every time it comes and goes and the next one becomes the defining match. 

Goes to show that our season has been so hard to read. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, haz said:

That's a fair enough comment on my post. But we've been in good positions on the table in previous seasons, only to fall over in the last few games. If Joyce has succeeded, or even partially succeeded, in changing the club's culture, then it will be these last seven matches that demonstrate it.

In summary, we have to do what the girls have just done - win when it really matters.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That's a fair enough comment on my post. But we've been in good positions on the table in previous seasons, only to fall over in the last few games. If Joyce has succeeded, or even partially succeeded, in changing the club's culture, then it will be these last seven matches that demonstrate it.

In summary, we have to do what the girls have just done - win when it really matters.

Yep I never look forward to the annual end of season collapse.

How long since our final game of the regular season was at home?

Edited by haz

5 minutes ago, bt50 said:

2 years ago v Adelaide i think

Correct.

Since we became Melbourne City:
14/15 Last two matches were away and we lost both.
15/16 Last match was at home, and we lost the last two matches.
16/17 Last match was away, and we lost 3 out of the last 4 matches, all three losses away.

That's the record I'm referring to in my posts above.

54 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Quite, once is not enough. I'm still scarred by all the awful capitulations in Perth. Put them to the sword. Burn their villages. Poison their wells.

Leave the toilet seat open, put garbage into recycling, park across their drive-ways!

• Like 1

Perth Glory v Melbourne City FC 

nib Stadium, Perth 

Kick-Off: 7:00 PM (Local) (10:00 PM AEDT)

Referee: Shaun Evans

Assistant Referee 1: Arvin Shanmuganathan

Assistant Referee 2: Wilson Brown

Fourth Official: Adam Fielding

Video Assistant Referee: Eddie Lennie

TV Broadcast: Live coverage on FOX SPORTS 501 from 7.00pm (AEDT) and Sky Sport 2 (New Zealand)

Radio Broadcast: myfootballnation.com (1116SEN & 6PR Perth). ABC News on Radio, Grandstand Digital, Online & via the ABC Listen App – A-League Live.

PERTH GLORY

Ins: 24.Callum Timmins (promoted), 25.Daniel STYNES (promoted), 27.Riley WARLAND (promoted), 29.Jeremy WALKER (promoted)

Outs: 4.Shane LOWRY (suspended – 1 week), 6.Mitch NICHOLS (released)

Unavailable: 14.Chris HAROLD (quad – 1-2 weeks), 15.Brandon WILSON (hip/groin – 1-2 weeks), 22.Adam TAGGART (hamstring – 1-2 weeks)

MELBOURNE CITY

Ins: 8.Oliver BOZANIC (promoted), 37. Nathaniel ATKINSON (returns from injury)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 6.Osama MALIK (quad), 19.Christian CAVALLO (quad)

Perth Glory squad: 2.Alex GRANT, 7.Joel CHIANESE, 8.Xavi TORRES, 9.Andy KEOGH (c), 13.Nick FEELY (Gk), 16.Joseph MILLS, 17.Diego CASTRO, 18.Andreu GUERAO, 20.Jake BRIMMER, 23.Scott NEVILLE, 24.Callum Timmins, 25.Daniel STYNES, 26.Jacob ITALIANO, 27.Riley WARLAND, 29.Jeremy WALKER, 33.Liam REDDY (Gk), 66.Dino DJULBIC, 88.Neil KILKENNY

**two to be omitted**

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Dean BOUZANIS (Gk), 2.Manny MUSCAT, 3.Scott JAMIESON, 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 7.Nick FITZGERALD, 8.Oliver BOZANIC, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 11.Bruce KAMAU, 13.Stefan MAUK, 14.Daniel ARZANI, 15.Denis GENREAU, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (Gk), 22.Michael JAKOBSEN, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Marcin BUDZINSKI, 37.Nathaniel ATKINSON

**two to be omitted**

Bouzanis

Atkinson     Schenkeveld     Jakobsen      Jamieson

Bozanic            Brattan

Budzinski

Arzani                  Fornaroli           Vidosic

SUBS Galekovic, Delbridge, Fitzgerald, Kamau, Mauk

Atkinson straight back in for mine, Delbridge provides cover across both FB and CB. Genreau stiff.

Should be able to roll these blokes comfortably, but being in Perth does make me cautious. 2-1 win, Bruno and Arzani to score.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Bouzanis

Atkinson     Schenkeveld     Jakobsen      Jamieson

Bozanic            Brattan

Budzinski

Arzani                  Fornaroli           Vidosic

SUBS Galekovic, Delbridge, Fitzgerald, Kamau, Mauk

Atkinson straight back in for mine, Delbridge provides cover across both FB and CB. Genreau stiff.

Should be able to roll these blokes comfortably, but being in Perth does make me cautious. 2-1 win, Bruno and Arzani to score.

Bozanic in midfield with Brattan concerns me. I don't see a point of difference there between the two. Essentially Bozanic is a winger and  I don't see either one of those guys as effective screeners of our backline. 

Good team on paper but we all know that this in itself means nothing. Bozanic has had some time to work with his new teammates however nothing compares to match experience so I expect that we'll leave some space in midfield. OTOH we'll have Jakobsen back in the back four where he belongs. Kilkenny, of course, will be motivated to show Wazza what an idiot he was for freezing him out. Bruno will still take some time to reach match fitness and the Glory thugs will kick the shit out of Arzani. On paper, it should be straightforward given Perth's form and our previous rare win there, however...

30 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Bozanic in midfield with Brattan concerns me. I don't see a point of difference there between the two. Essentially Bozanic is a winger and  I don't see either one of those guys as effective screeners of our backline. 

I can't say ive ever watched him closely enough to have a firm opinion personally, but i have heard from a lot of Victory fans that think he was a bit unfairly maligned due to the fact he was a marquee. In other words that he was ok for them, but was made out to be a lot worse than he was because he wasnt delivering marquee worthy performances. I'll take your word as far as you think him being a winger goes, although i do note he played predominately as a DM for Victory in his two seasons, and varied between DM and LM for most of his others.
I suppose the next most likely options are that Jakobsen moves to DM with Delbridge at CB, Mauk fills the DM role, or Genreau is given the chance. For me i think Bozanic will be given first crack as the others, Genreau aside have had plenty.