Melbourne Football

Why City/Heart?

Melbourne White

1 hour ago, Melbourne White said:

Something that has always interested me as someone who moved to Melbourne from UK a few years ago, but what made you choose Heart/City while there already was an established A League team in the city.

For me, as a Leeds fan, it was Kisnorbo. He's something of a cult fan with Leeds.

I had never been to a soccer game before my cousin took me to my first game Heart vs Sydney in 2011 and have been going ever since. I remember sitting behind the Yarraside and thinking is sick, I had never experienced an atmosphere like that before.

Edited by Forever City

9 hours ago, Melbourne White said:

Something that has always interested me as someone who moved to Melbourne from UK a few years ago, but what made you choose Heart/City while there already was an established A League team in the city.

For me, as a Leeds fan, it was Kisnorbo. He's something of a cult fan with Leeds.

The other team supported incest, I did not

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Melbourne White said:

There's already a thread covering why people started to follow Heart - see Australian Football "Prior to Melbourne Heart FC." I doubt that the reasons people choose City over Victory have changed much since those first four seasons.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

There's already a thread covering why people started to follow Heart - see Australian Football "Prior to Melbourne Heart FC." I doubt that the reasons people choose City over Victory have changed much since those first four seasons.

That's spot on.

But would be interesting (to me at least) is firstly why people continue to support and secondly what would it take for people to stop supporting. 

For me I continue more now because of the kids driving the enthusiasm and the routine. (very similar to being married).

For me to stop would probably take, a close family member played for another team or if a truly detestable person became involved in the club and held some position of importance ie Coach, chairman or a player.

11 minutes ago, Jovan said:

That's spot on.

But would be interesting (to me at least) is firstly why people continue to support and secondly what would it take for people to stop supporting. 

For me I continue more now because of the kids driving the enthusiasm and the routine. (very similar to being married).

For me to stop would probably take, a close family member played for another team or if a truly detestable person became involved in the club and held some position of importance ie Coach, chairman or a player.

I think its fair game now between choosing between us and Victory.

Also if a Far North Queensland team came into the comp, I would have to split my support, but I could never stop supporting Melbourne Heart/City/Redbulls (After they buy CFG's share)

I used to follow the NPL back in the day and victards were not my team, I couldn't bring myself to support them.

I used to follow Euro football mostly, but I find it the opposite now.

I continue to support the team because I want them and the league to realise it's potential, meager as it is.

Moved over from nz first season of the league so was on the knights (lol). Mum is Scottish born Catholic and I'm a Chelsea fan so Kevin Muscat is as close to the devil you can get. Never got into the Tards as a result.

Heart came along after knights collapsed and here I am today wasting my time on this forum and my money on the team. 

Being a lifelong football fan and excited about the prospect of the A league, I was actually a member of victory, went to the all the games, the first semi, the first grand final win etc.etc. But it was purely from a A league supporter point of view.

I never really felt part of that club, and actually disliked many aspects of it.

A mate and myself always said we would support a second Melbourne team, and that's the boring story really.

• Like 1

Decided to start following an A-League team around about the time the 2nd Melbourne licence was announced (decision unrelated). Thought it would be better to get onboard a team from the start so waited for Heart to enter the comp.

Happy to admit that if the licence announcement had been a year later I would have been supporting Victory. 

On 2/21/2018 at 7:05 AM, Bellos23 said:

Watching sbs and saw the first ever signing was gol gol merbratu and thought they need support being a new team! Never looked back 

On 2/21/2018 at 7:52 AM, malloy said:

???

LOL - Gol Gol was signed by Heart as half the nails were already in the coffin @Bellos23

TBH I supported MHFC for something to do in Summer when my Ex was doing Summer School, I was also always put of by the Continental Style of support that MVFC had and I thought that MHFC therefore might be different plus as they were the new club that they needed supporters and had a nice kit.

The best thing about being a MHFC fan was ultimately also the worse thing for the club which was being a small club that had barely any fans meant that you could make some good mates with some other fans along the way but at the end of the day that is what saw the club die - Next to no fans.

I tried to support City as a New Team mainly as a social thing with my mates from the Heart Days but as time as gone by I find less and less of a connection between City and Heart over each Season, and I also could accept rat shit results from a club like Heart but not Mediocre Results from a club like City.  

These days I would say I am an Anti-MV fan more than anything else, and seeing as City being seen as out doing MV is what annoys them most that loosely makes me a City fan however I cancelled my membership this season because I CBF going to games.

I also like to see to WSW lose due to the crap they use to say about Yarraside back in the day and for that reason if City dont win things then I dont mind SFC winning it cos it pisses of those idiots.

Edited by cadete

42 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I wonder what the numbers actually are - Heart members (at any stage) in Seasons 1-4 who are no longer City members.

I just kept letting it roll on from Hearts First Season until this Season... and I then had to answer three phone calls about I wanted out.

A lot of my mates got the same follow up calls...

PPL can have their own opinion about if its still the same club (I am find with that) however it was pretty irritating when the same bloke rang me each time saying why do I want out when I have been a Member since Season One? 

The worst was I  had to explain each time that was Season One of Melbourne Heart and not City, and I had only let the roll on occur for drink deals at The Gimp and because it covered probably the same amount of games I went each Season but now being married that at most I am an Armchair Fan.

Also TBH from S2 onwards Heart was my main Football side... but the last two years or so I have returned to having Celtic as my main Football side as the kids Rodgers has signed (loaned) are far more attractive side to watch play on TV than City in RL/TV.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

On 19/02/2018 at 6:23 PM, malloy said:

Decided to start following an A-League team around about the time the 2nd Melbourne licence was announced (decision unrelated). Thought it would be better to get onboard a team from the start so waited for Heart to enter the comp.

Happy to admit that if the licence announcement had been a year later I would have been supporting Victory. 

Pretty much the exact same story here. Including the victory bit