Melbourne Football

The 3peat Granny.

Dylan

I haven’t liked everything CFG have done, but one thing they’ve done, that seems ignored by the media, Is they’ve taken the W League from a comp that the A League franchises treated as a joke, to one that they are fair dinkum trying to win and actually devoting resources to. 

They deserve so much credit for that. 

Incidentally given that, the team deserves a lot of credit for still managing to win in that competitive environment.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I haven’t liked everything CFG have done, but one thing they’ve done, that seems ignored by the media, Is they’ve taken the W League from a comp that the A League franchises treated as a joke, to one that they are fair dinkum trying to win and actually devoting resources to. 

They deserve so much credit for that. 

Incidentally given that, the team deserves a lot of credit for still managing to win in that competitive environment.

And in those glorious red-and-white stripes. It's all the sweeter for that.

Fishlock had a good game - De Vanna should have had at least a yellow (what's all that animosity about?) - and Taylor followed the free in nicely to put away the rebound. That's quality and experience from her.

Great win.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, haz said:

It will never happen again, what Melbourne have done to the league, dont hate but admire etc

Quoted here: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/soccer/fishlock-the-heart-and-soul-of-city-s-historic-success-20180218-p4z0ro.html

''You won't realise what this is for five or ten years. They (critics) are going to be bitter, they are going to hate it but you don't have to like Melbourne City, but you should respect what the girls have done.''

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

And in those glorious red-and-white stripes. It's all the sweeter for that.

Fishlock had a good game - De Vanna should have had at least a yellow (what's all that animosity about?) - and Taylor followed the free in nicely to put away the rebound. That's quality and experience from her.

Great win.

Let's just say her and Jess aren't the best of buddies. From my personal perspective I remember when we played Sydney in our first Grand Final and I remember De Vanna looking like she was at a funeral after the game.

So glad she missed a one on one, got nutmegged, gave away passes, was non existent for a lot of the game and Jess scored and assisted our goals. Cop it mole rat.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Let's just say her and Jess aren't the best of buddies. From my personal perspective I remember when we played Sydney in our first Grand Final and I remember De Vanna looking like she was at a funeral after the game.

So glad she missed a one on one, got nutmegged, gave away passes, was non existent for a lot of the game and Jess scored and assisted our goals. Cop it mole rat.

I won't go into all the gritty details but Jess gave us a bit if a run down off-air the night we interviewed her.

In a nutshell, De Vanna was disruptive, openly hostile and physically aggressive in training to the rest of the girls when she was here and bears a grudge towards them for not willing to accept her unprofessional behaviour.

She's a thundercunt 

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Embee said:

I won't go into all the gritty details but Jess gave us a bit if a run down off-air the night we interviewed her.

In a nutshell, De Vanna was disruptive, openly hostile and physically aggressive in training to the rest of the girls when she was here and bears a grudge towards them for not willing to accept her unprofessional behaviour.

She's a thundercunt 

Yep fair enough, if you've heard these details from Jess best to keep them under wraps. That is interesting that she was like that but not suprising. I remember snippets of comments insinuating her behaviour. Even comments form herself gave away she was a problem.

Out of curiosity did anyone else notice during the second half she made a decision to play centrally and instruct the Sydney girl who was subbe don to play on the wing? From what the commentators were saying this was not what the Sydney manager wanted. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-19/melbourne-city-success-in-w-league-fulfilling-promise/9459796

To the victor belongs the spoils and also the TV sideline reporters' microphone.

So as Melbourne City celebrated a third consecutive W-League championship and kept their perfect record alive, the cameras closed in on player-of-the-match Jess Fishlock far more quickly than the Sydney FC defence had done.

Fishlock performed the usual breathless ''thank youses'' expected in such moments of euphoria.

''I have nothing but pride and love for this football team,'' said the Welshwoman, who was the scorer of the first and author of the second of Melbourne City's two goals in a richly-deserved 2-0 victory.

And then, as adroitly as Fishlock had lost the Sydney FC defence, the 31-year-old "Welsh Wizard" veered away from the usual anodyne post-match victory cliches and mounted the political podium.

"I think you won't realise until five, 10 years, what Melbourne City has done for women's football in this country," Fishlock said.

"People won't accept or appreciate it. They're going be bitter, they're going hate us. But look what it's doing to the sport in your country.

"It's bringing the sport on tenfold. You don't have to like Melbourne City, but respect the girls. Respect what the girls have achieved, because it won't happen again."

Fishlock could have instead poked out her tongue or flexed her tattooed muscles and said: "We're Melbourne City. You can hate us. We don't care!"

But, in the current context of Australian football politics, her passionate and articulate defence of the success achieved with the backing of her club's oil rich Abu Dhabi owners was far more potent.

Melbourne City — call the club Melbourne $ity if you like — is resented by some because its wealth has supposedly given it an advantage over other clubs, even allowing for the confines of Australian football's unusual salary cap system.

In the case of Melbourne City's A-League team, wonderful training facilities, access to the City Football Group's global recruiting network, occasional guest appearances by the likes of Spanish superstar David Villa and the seemingly favourable treatment that allowed them to recruit Tim Cahill has not yet led to on-field success.

But, as Fishlock suggested, a third-straight victory for a W-League team replete with Matildas and other international superstars including Fishlock and Japan's World Cup winner Yukari Kinga is certain to arouse yet more jealousy and resentment from beaten rivals.

So rather than shove $ity's success in their faces, Fishlock instead asked rivals and fans to ponder how her club was raising the bar. How?

By assembling a team that is by any club standard genuinely world-class, Melbourne City was fulfilling the promise of women's football in Australia. Not stifling it.

Melbourne City's W-League success shows the way forward

The sharp edge to Fishlock's comments is because of the battle currently being waged between Australian club owners and the FFA. One in which Melbourne City, with its global connections, holds a powerful hand.

The achievements of Melbourne City's W-League team are symbolic of what A-League club owners hope they too can achieve in building stronger teams and maximising the potential of a domestic competition struggling to regain a foothold in the public consciousness.

At the same time, the modest stage on which the W-League grand final was played further represented the inability of football's struggling administration to build a stronger audience for the game at the top level.

A record W-League grand final crowd of 6,025 at the Sydney Football Stadium was hailed by most as a wonderful success. And in the context of average crowds for the W-League and most overseas competitions, you could make that case.

Average attendance for the American National Women's Soccer League is just over 5,000 and Melbourne City's sister club Manchester City last year became the only club in England to average crowds of more than 2,000 a game.

Yet the sight of so many empty seats in a cavernous stadium was slightly dispiriting given the quality of the game. Perhaps it is a matter of whether you considered the Sydney Football Stadium one-seventh empty, or one-seventh full.

Over Fishlock's shoulder, the victory podium was being prepared for the game's dignitaries to take part in the usual photo opportunity. FFA chairman Steven Lowy and chief executive David Gallop would present the medals and trophies and glory in the players' achievements.

You wonder what they would have made of the Melbourne City striker's decidedly off-script remarks given her club is effectively fighting for control of the game, and that her comments could be perceived as an endorsement of the potency of Club Power.

None of which detracted from what took place on the pitch. Melbourne City's victory was a wonderful achievement by a team that, just a few weeks ago, had to win its final regular season game just to make the finals.

There was, most memorably, Fishlock's thumping boot and the athleticism and bravery of City goalkeeper Lydia Williams, who made some wonderful saves and defied injury to remain on the pitch in the last 25 minutes.

All that was missing was a valedictory goal by Sydney FC striker and Matildas' stalwart Lisa De Vanna, who instead botched a chance to give the home team the lead in the early stages.

It was a memorable final with a familiar result, one that was testament to Melbourne City's ability to raise the standard but also redolent of the local administration's failure to keep pace.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Embee said:

Richard Hinds :droy:

The cunt just HAS to drop in the '$ity' jibe into every article he writes, like he's the person who coined it. Absolute flog

He's such a fuckwit. Had a good chance to write a meaningful article there, but butchered it by throwing as many jibes in as possible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, n i k o said:

"...call the club Melbourne $ity if you like"

Then three short paragraphs later....

"So rather than shove $ity's success in their faces"

Way to be transparent lol

Worst part is he reckons he's a City fan. Just accept it or fuck off with the rest of ones that couldnt handle the change please!

1 minute ago, GreenSeater said:

Not sure where to post this, and I'm probably slow to notice, but the club have deleted all of the women's sides social media accounts, choosing to merge them with the men's one. Great move imo, should give the WLeague side more exposure on our social media channels rather than their own

Yep saw that, was planning on giving a rant about Wonderwall being played but couldn't find them to comment on

3 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Not sure where to post this, and I'm probably slow to notice, but the club have deleted all of the women's sides social media accounts, choosing to merge them with the men's one. Great move imo, should give the WLeague side more exposure on our social media channels rather than their own

I can still see a separate Twitter account for the women's matches. https://twitter.com/melbcitywfc There's also one for the youth team.https://twitter.com/MelbCityYouth

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I can still see a separate Twitter account for the women's matches. https://twitter.com/melbcitywfc There's also one for the youth team.https://twitter.com/MelbCityYouth

The womens twitter is now a live account, meaning they're only going to use it for live match updates through games

Managed to get up there for the game, was so good to be there, for all the reasons stated above in regards to de vanna ect. Was easily one of the better finals I have seen in terms of the way we played to hold onto the lead. Williams was fantastic to stay on and pull off some great saves despite her injury, Stotty, Barnes, Kennedy and Steph were all great in keeping Sydney at bay as was Luik & Kinga. The girls in defence don't always get the credit they deserve.

The smiles on everyones faces afterwards were just amazing to see, showed how hard they worked. Paddy deserves plenty of credit also. Really hope Jess comes back for at least another season, but even if she doesn't I think this team can do plenty more.

Dreaming of the day the lads can give us something that makes me as happy as this does, love this club. 

On 2/21/2018 at 7:35 AM, Dylan said:

Pretty obvious that Crummer won’t be here next year. But she has just been released by Reign as well. 

Can conform 100 % Larissa won't be at the club next season.

On 2/21/2018 at 8:42 AM, Shahanga said:

Can’t help but think that something isn’t right with her off the field.

Plenty of talent.

Spoke to a member of her family that confirmed this, said there was "a case of bullying". Mentioned the coach. Didn't go into it any further than that.

3 hours ago, luka74 said:

Can conform 100 % Larissa won't be at the club next season.

Spoke to a member of her family that confirmed this, said there was "a case of bullying". Mentioned the coach. Didn't go into it any further than that.

Yeah ok I would take a family member account very lightly. 

She has been released by two clubs, so it can’t be an issue in one club that is a problem

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dylan said:

Yeah ok I would take a family member account very lightly. 

She has been released by two clubs, so it can’t be an issue in one club that is a problem

Would be inclined to agree with this, because as you say two clubs. Were rumours previously that there was an issue with another player, which might make more sense re the two club thing as there is that connection. Whatever the case we have lost a good player.

Edited by luka74