Melbourne Football

Rd20 vs Sydney @ AAMI 10/2 7.50pm

neio

16 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

We can do post match analysis and whinge as any other club which got smashed by them. No point.

Well, that's true if it's only us, the fans, doing the post-match analysis. I just hope that City is doing it's post-match analysis, because unless we do we're simply putting our head in the sand and will forever be unlikely to win any trophy and go into Asia. And it's more than just to actual on-field stuff that needs to be looked at. The in-season movement of players in and out of the squad indicates to me that there is - or was - a disconnect between what our head coach actually wants and the recruitment process. Even the merry-go-round with assistant coaches needs review.

The 0-4 loss is not really what concerns me - it's more the significance of that loss in terms of underlying factors.

• Like 1

I fully agree with Bozza’s view on Sydney’s tactics, which they constantly and arrogantly employ.

From their professional fouling, to their delaying tactics whenever another team gets some momentum, to Arnold’s attitude on the bench, to Matt Hack Simon’s one job of being a prick, they really are just a dog of a side, and they need to be exposed for this, so thanks Bozza. It’s time it’s happened and hopefully his article gains some traction.

What summed up Sydney for me last night in terms of their arrogance towards what they reckon they can get away with, was an action from Bobo (the clown). After he was subbed off at the goal end, as he ambled back to his technical area, he simply cut across the actual field of play, probably a distance of 10m at the corner flag. In that moment Sydney had 12 men on the pitch. 

Tbh we were ripe for defeat like that from a top team withMalik going down pre game and we were in between strikers. One big positive is Bruno looked great. IMO if we had this game say in three weeks I reckon it would have been completely different.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Prieras come in now with Delbrige and Muscat dropping out.

Edited by Dylan

We deserve to lose. Poor form by the players and poor tactics by Manager and Coaching staff. We are still in the run for Asia so hopefully the players and manager learn from the pounding we received. We are not ready to play a possession type game against good A league sides. We need to play defensive counter attack with two def mids and two att mids. 

Imo we should play for the rest of the season this

Bruno          Vidosic

Marcin (att mid)       Arzani (att mid)

Brattan (def mid) 

Bosanic(low def mid)

Jakobsen   Bart        Delbridge       Malik

Galekovic

Sub: Mauk  Scott  Bouzanis  Muscat

Scotty has been poor and does not track back so i have dropped him and i would pick Malik over Muscat but if injured than have Muscat on. I dont blame Bouzanis for the first goal as the defence was poor and he had no other option, it was a lose lose situation for him. Play with four center backs pretty much and do not have Jakobsen or Malik/Muscat pressing up. Always have four or five back at all times and counter with long balls up foward to Arzani, Marcin, Dario and Bruno.

And NO possession style football as it has not worked for the last three seasons at Melbourne City and the A-League is not good enough to play high possession

21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well, that's true if it's only us, the fans, doing the post-match analysis. I just hope that City is doing it's post-match analysis, because unless we do we're simply putting our head in the sand and will forever be unlikely to win any trophy and go into Asia. And it's more than just to actual on-field stuff that needs to be looked at. The in-season movement of players in and out of the squad indicates to me that there is - or was - a disconnect between what our head coach actually wants and the recruitment process. Even the merry-go-round with assistant coaches needs review.

The 0-4 loss is not really what concerns me - it's more the significance of that loss in terms of underlying factors.

One thing on the off field that stands out was the length of time it took to bring in another midfielder. If Bozanic had been here a fortnight ago he could gave stepped straight in for Malik (if Wazza had a sane bench). It’s this supposedly little stuff we are screwing up.

On the box Bozza was going on about the bullying tactics of the Smurfs but in his post match comments he also said, importantly, that City were not effective in how we used the ball. So here is a snapshot of how we were ineffective in the final third compared to the Smurfs.

Late in the second half going forward, Vido gets a ball squirted to him that finds him with plenty of space running on to goal. A proper forward would move either way to make some space and shoot at Redders. Guess what?

40160998252_0834394cbb_k.jpg

He decides to play the ball back to where it came from. Poor decision. We lose the battle for the ball.

39295885215_e3413f13b9_z.jpg

So now the turnover for the Smurfs to run up the other side and create a 5 on 4.

39295888265_bccc340dde_k.jpg

Example of snatching 'defeat' from the jaws of 'victory'. This is our problem, we are slow to get the ball into forward positions which can allow teams to reorganise their defence. The Smurfs in transition are two steps ahead of us and most other A-league teams. Our weakness is not so much a problem against lower sides but when you have Ninkovic, Bobo and Adrian sprinting at you then that can spell disaster.

• Like 3

We lost that game in our DM position and a lack of adequate back up and also tactical set up by Waz made us pay. Adrian spent most of his time in behind both Brattan and Jako as did Ninkovic for their second goal. Brattan and Jako certainly don't have the same understanding as Malik and Brattan. It falls then on Wazza to set up the players and stop them from getting between the lines. 

Not having an adequate replacement for Malik then meant we had Delbridge partner up with Bort for the first time this season. I simply don't rate Delbridge and this partnership coupled with the Brattan/Jako just didn't work. 

On a side note the most infuriating performance for me was Jameison. He simply stopped nearly every forward play and from memory every time he got the ball in the second half he stifled any forward momentum. 

• Like 3

Another thing about last night. It was bloody obvious we didn’t have a striker. Those intelligent runs Ross would make that would allow Arzani to play him in just didn’t happen, leaving Arzani to do everything himself. 

By the time Bruno did appear Arzani was cooked.

A better formation would have been Kamau on the wing, Vidosic up front and Bud as the attacking midfield. Mauk could have then come in for Malik.

• Like 1

Outclassed by a professional team. Every single attack of ours was too slow and too indirect. We gave Sydney every opportunity to settle defensively so we had no space to get a clear shot away. Then when we made the odd turnover, Sydney on the other hand played a direct pass to players streaming forward, no messing about and with the talent they have up front, made us pay. 

It's hard to blame any individual players for the loss since it was just a total domination. I don't buy into the fact that we played well in patches. Sure we had possession and had the ball in our attacking half a fair bit, certainly in the earlier stages. But we never made Redmayne have to work. Never had a clear cut scoring opportunity until the very end when Vidosic had a 1 on 1 with Redders and decided to pass instead of run around and shoot. But no surprises because that play sums up our team. Too afraid to play direct. Always looking to play the sideways or backwards pass and never taking the attacking option. 

Honestly the only player I can say had a good game was Arzani. Fornaroli also tried but obviously it was too late by the time he came on. Muscat should never get a game after this season. Delbridge looked like he'd never walked on 2 feet before. No faith in him from what I saw last night. Budz looked better the moment he wasn't playing in the striker role. Mauk provides nothing to the team. 

And side note. Kamau comes on from the bench and barely looks like he has any more run in his legs than the players on the pitch. Maybe I'm just pissed off at the moment but it just seems like this team is all over the place. 

Sydney have a team that's been together for a long time now. Only a few changes in recent times. And that unity is clearly evident in the way they play. I can only hope that over the time that Joyce is in charge, he can create a team he wants and then we don't have to deal with the constant turnover of players because that also plays a part in why we are miles behind Sydney at the moment. 

• Like 4

Sydney are just that much better then any other team in the Comp it’s not funny. Without doubt (IMO) the greatest ever A League team I’ve seen, eclipsing the Roar side from years ago.

We were too slow in transition again but that very well could be down to Sydney’s organisation & shape. 

9 hours ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

We deserve to lose. Poor form by the players and poor tactics by Manager and Coaching staff. We are still in the run for Asia so hopefully the players and manager learn from the pounding we received. We are not ready to play a possession type game against good A league sides. We need to play defensive counter attack with two def mids and two att mids. 

Imo we should play for the rest of the season this

Bruno          Vidosic

Marcin (att mid)       Arzani (att mid)

Brattan (def mid) 

Bosanic(low def mid)

Jakobsen   Bart        Delbridge       Malik

Galekovic

Sub: Mauk  Scott  Bouzanis  Muscat

Scotty has been poor and does not track back so i have dropped him and i would pick Malik over Muscat but if injured than have Muscat on. I dont blame Bouzanis for the first goal as the defence was poor and he had no other option, it was a lose lose situation for him. Play with four center backs pretty much and do not have Jakobsen or Malik/Muscat pressing up. Always have four or five back at all times and counter with long balls up foward to Arzani, Marcin, Dario and Bruno.

And NO possession style football as it has not worked for the last three seasons at Melbourne City and the A-League is not good enough to play high possession

So you want to play a counter attack with no wingers and a 4-2-2-2 setup?

You reckon teams won't be able to defend such a narrow formation that does not have it's full backs coming forward?

Thanks, this gave me a laugh.

On Jamo, he's copped some criticism over his performance last night and no doubt it's deserved. Sydney did their homework on him however; targeted Scott and actually got him very early. I do believe it left him rattled and certainly affected his performance

Edited by rass
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, neio said:

Jamo was poor but he was playing against the clear best player in comp IMO. Mierzejewski has made every defender look stupid and poor at some stage this season 

It's not necassarily his defensive qualities that are being discussed but his attacking. It was annoying to see because for one we were chasing the game and two a number of times we would shift the ball around quick enough for Jamo to get the ball and have an opportunity to take on their fullback and drive toward the box. Instead he stopped and passed sideways or backwards allowing Sydney to set up. He's not the only one culpable for the performance on Saturday but at the time I felt most annoyed by him because he needed to be braver and take on the game more. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, n i k o said:

It's not necassarily his defensive qualities that are being discussed but his attacking. It was annoying to see because for one we were chasing the game and two a number of times we would shift the ball around quick enough for Jamo to get the ball and have an opportunity to take on their fullback and drive toward the box. Instead he stopped and passed sideways or backwards allowing Sydney to set up. He's not the only one culpable for the performance on Saturday but at the time I felt most annoyed by him because he needed to be braver and take on the game more. 

Yes I saw that and that left me wondering because this is not the first time it has happened, it happens on both wings and it happens with various players. This couples with my earlier question as to why they are afraid to shoot especially in the dying minutes (with the exception of Bruno). So I don't believe that the problem is Jamo per se. If it was only him, then yes. But so many players?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, n i k o said:

It felt like I was watching Josh Rose all over again. Sydney are too organised....if you're going to beat them you need to be decisive and clinical in transition. Full backs that slow an attack down will be a major problem against better teams. I'd prefer to believe that Jamo has this ability (goal he assisted against CCM) but he needs to have the confidence to be more adventurous and look more dangerous to the opposition.

One thing that shows up is the stability of the Smurfs compared to us. Here are the two lineups for the games played last November and last weekend. I put a cross through our players that didn't start last Saturday. A couple are no longer at the club. And a few new recruits since then, Delbridge and Vidosic.

Compare that to SFC who had one change and that was Mierzejewski coming into the starting line up for Carney. Quality players plus stability gives SFC a big bonus.

25348556527_5fc6f6c1be_b.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

One thing that shows up is the stability of the Smurfs compared to us. Here are the two lineups for the games played last November and last weekend. I put a cross through our players that didn't start last Saturday. A couple are no longer at the club. And a few new recruits since then, Delbridge and Vidosic.

Compare that to SFC who had one change and that was Mierzejewski coming into the starting line up for Carney. Quality players plus stability gives SFC a big bonus.

Sydney FC with those peptides

8 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Great work, shows changes have had a negative impact on our lads. 

Need a striker to replace Ross's classy runs and general smarts. 

What's happened to La rocca ? 

12 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

You missed Galekovic.

By my reckoning, only Muscat, Schenkeveld, Jakobsen, Brattan and Mauk started both matches, and then Muscat only by default as a replacement for Malik.

2 hours ago, haz said:

Sydney FC with those peptides

Andrew Clark, the 'conditioning coach'  has worked with Arnold at CCM and then again at the smurfs. My other sport, cycling, has taught me that when something looks too good to be true (Armstrong, Landis, Froome), it always is too good to be true

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Andrew Clark, the 'conditioning coach'  has worked with Arnold at CCM and then again at the smurfs. My other sport, cycling, has taught me that when something looks too good to be true (Armstrong, Landis, Froome), it always is too good to be true

Had to look up why you mentioned Froome, my old roomate idolized him. I was never into it but I dont see how people can seriously support Cycling anymore, it is more of a competiton who can take their drugs the best.

Image result for Funny lance armstrong newspaper

Edited by haz
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, bumpyknuckles said:

As most sports are, cycling just gets tested waaaay more than any other sport.

Good point. TBH I wish there was a type of sport or a certain league of a current sport where athletes are allowed to pump themselves with whatever they want. Just like how F1 is all about automotive development, this sport could be about hardcore drug development.

Imagine union where everyone one is jacked hardcore and there is 3 heart attacks a game.

3 hours ago, rass said:

Lol OK. 

Did you watch the game saturday night. Sydney play counter attack through the centre with overlapping full backs. Thats how they have played the last two season. We have played this possession shit the last 3 seasons and all we have won is a little cup. We have tried to play similar to Man City and has not worked. Joyce is trying different methods so we cannot expect to win this season but on Saturday we played like last season and we got pounded because possession doesnt work in the A league. I am not saying to go with four centre backs and play through the middle but we need to test out different tactics and one of those tactics is playing through the middle. 

35 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Did you watch the game saturday night. Sydney play counter attack through the centre with overlapping full backs. Thats how they have played the last two season. We have played this possession shit the last 3 seasons and all we have won is a little cup. We have tried to play similar to Man City and has not worked. Joyce is trying different methods so we cannot expect to win this season but on Saturday we played like last season and we got pounded because possession doesnt work in the A league. I am not saying to go with four centre backs and play through the middle but we need to test out different tactics and one of those tactics is playing through the middle. 

The fundamental requirement of possession football is to keep possession. In that respect, we play turnover football

Edited by belaguttman

I traded one of my ticket vouchers for two GA tickets for a mate and his son. They had not seen City before. Incidentally, the mate played semi-professionally with a National League side in England. I saw him today briefly for the first time since the match.

Brief comments. City build-up far too slow and indirect, and no-one can cross the ball accurately into the goal area. Muscat and Brattan have no idea of how to play with Arzani, and almost never play the ball quickly enough to get the young lad away in space to run at the defence. In fact, Brattan came in for a lot of criticism - my mate saying we are completely impotent and zero threat from free-kicks and corners. Bouzanis should not have brought Bobo down for the penalty - Bobo was never going to get to the through ball before it went out of play - so basically we shot ourselves in the foot there. Overall comment - a most frustrating side to watch making so many basic errors.

So there you have it. Two potential members who won't be taking membership up yet awhile.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I traded one of my ticket vouchers for two GA tickets for a mate and his son. They had not seen City before. Incidentally, the mate played semi-professionally with a National League side in England. I saw him today briefly for the first time since the match.

Brief comments. City build-up far too slow and indirect, and no-one can cross the ball accurately into the goal area. Muscat and Brattan have no idea of how to play with Arzani, and almost never play the ball quickly enough to get the young lad away in space to run at the defence. In fact, Brattan came in for a lot of criticism - my mate saying we are completely impotent and zero threat from free-kicks and corners. Bouzanis should not have brought Bobo down for the penalty - Bobo was never going to get to the through ball before it went out of play - so basically we shot ourselves in the foot there. Overall comment - a most frustrating side to watch making so many basic errors.

So there you have it. Two potential members who won't be taking membership up yet awhile.

It was Brosque JW for the penalty.

Were these guys EPL supporters? Might have been a bit of the usual 'Skill bias'.

In regards to membership, in the HAL there is no much reason to get a membership unless you have some sort of connection to the club/area, no club in HAL is going to attract members on the style the play. I first signed up to Heart when I moved to Melbourne during the Aloisi season, I couldnt care about the style of play but I wanted to have a connection to the club where I lived.

38 minutes ago, haz said:

It was Brosque JW for the penalty.

Were these guys EPL supporters? Might have been a bit of the usual 'Skill bias'.

In regards to membership, in the HAL there is no much reason to get a membership unless you have some sort of connection to the club/area, no club in HAL is going to attract members on the style the play. I first signed up to Heart when I moved to Melbourne during the Aloisi season, I couldnt care about the style of play but I wanted to have a connection to the club where I lived.

Thanks for the correction. Not really any bias. The father once supported a club that's been all over every division in the old Football League, the young son born here. Have watched Victory before, but not a member.