Melbourne Football

Rd20 vs Sydney @ AAMI 10/2 7.50pm

neio

A poor performance disguised by moments of good play. Lucky to lose 0-4, it could have been 6 or 7. This shows us how far we have to go to become a good team. In our last 5 games against the Smurfs since the FFA Cup we've scored 2 and conceded 9. Hopefully one of the first steps of a FIFA normalisation committtee would be to examine the Smurf's accounts

Positives:

Bruno's return

Arzani's first half

Matched the smurfs in the first half, except defensively where we were poor

Glad I didn't go

Negatives:

Smug Fox commentary, unbearable. If I didn't have an LG OLED I would have punched the TV. Hopefully, Sydney gets smashed in the ACL so that they'll shut up.

Poor defensively all match. A small mitigating factor with the loss of Malik in warmup and having to move Jakobsen into midfield but really struggled to cope with the smurfs simple through balls and movement off the ball. Please, can we see Tongyik?

The second half lacked intensity, lacked a coherent game plan, extremely poor in transition, poor passing options, poor passing accuracy, especially in midfield.

Arzani well marked and double teamed but this should have created space for other players.

3 shots on target all match, failed to stretch the Sydney defence and failed to create scoring opportunities

Sydney continue their charmed life and fouled us out of the game with impunity in the first half, didn't need to in the second half

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

Odd game when you can be completely outclassed despite dominating for long stretches and creating plenty of chances. I wouldn’t blame any one person, more that the whole organisation needs to lift to match Sydney. They’re a whole world above this league.

Sydney are just miles ahead of everyone else atm. 

Their finishing and ball movement is miles above any team currently in the a league. Everything is just so crisp 

They have actually gotten better from last season (believe it or not) 

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Odd game when you can be completely outclassed despite dominating for long stretches and creating plenty of chances. I wouldn’t blame any one person, more that the whole organisation needs to lift to match Sydney. They’re a whole world above this league.

We looked better than we were. Sydney, as usual, was happy to let us have the ball, wait for the inevitable poor midfield pass and then counter-attack. They regularly overloaded our defence. OTOH, when they took 2 passes to get the ball into a scoring opportunity we took 5 or 6

Thought I'd never say this but tonight proved how important Malik has become to the team... And it's a bit tough to blame Wazza when you lose a vital cog in the warm up - all the best laid plans went up in smoke. He also made the right move going attacking taking Muscat off.

...but when you're riding a crest like Sydney is currently, everything goes your way. Manipulated the refereeing then were clinical when they needed to be. Classic example, Bruno comes on and the crowd was up. It took them only a minute for them to make us eat that soggy biscuit. Fuk I hate them.

Side note: massive lols on Adrian kunt getting MoM...wtf? Showboated and was beaten often. fuking amateur league and expert commentary.

Edited by rass
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, rass said:

Thought I'd never say this but tonight proved how important Malik has become to the team... And it's a bit tough to blame Wazza when you lose a vital cog in the warm up - all the best laid plans went up in smoke. He also made the right move going attacking taking Muscat off.

...but when you're riding a crest like Sydney is currently, everything goes your way. Manipulated the refereeing then were clinical when they needed to be. Fuk I hate them.

Side note: massive lols on Adrian kunt getting MoM...wtf? Showboated and was beaten often. fuking amateur league and expert commentary.

Mind if I start a new thread mate? 

I'm a bit down :(

5 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Mind if I start a new thread mate? 

I'm a bit down :(

Go for it. Name it the 'How long before Brosque gets a card for his constant pro fouling' thread.

Then take bets on it and you'll make a shitload because you'll never need to pay out...

Edited by rass
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, rass said:

Go for it. Name it the 'How long before Brosque gets a card for his constant pro fouling' thread.

Then take bets on it and you'll make a shitload because you'll never need to pay out...

Brosque has tuned into the new Kevin Muscat, the slower he gets the more he just hacks and fouls

The simple truth is we were well beaten. Even though we had plenty of the ball, I never thought we looked in control. Our football was more off the cuff as opposed to their superior organisation. 

When they broke with speed they tore our defence apart. We on the other hand seemed to be hesitant and indecisive when breaking. Only Arzani carried any threat.

I am still puzzled why Vidosic plays wide when he is an aerial threat and better suited than Budinski as a forward.

Edited by silva10

Very depressing game. Didn’t take our half chances early on, and were outclassed when they attacked.

There was a bit of spite in the game which is good to build on for future contests, but seriously I fuckn hate everyone of their players, smug pricks. And that bald polish prick running around flexing his apparent guns, he’s a massive tool.

Tonight it was a bad case of rabbit in the headlights at time for us ... so many times we almost did something good only not too.

Arazani destroyed Zillow at times which at least was a minor victory, and Bruno looked pretty good all things considered. Can see him and Arzani linking up well.

Geez we are bad at set pieces, all round, attack and defence. Anyone other than Brattan over the dead ball please ....PLEASSSEEE!!!!

• Like 4

Bud plays as a false 9. @silva10

Anyway. It's hard to beat a team like Sydney when you have no striker and your true DM can't play 5 minutes before the game.

I can see what Wazza was trying to do but we just aren't good enough.

The only chance we have is by playing defensive and hope we can counter. Apart from that there is not much we can do at this stage of our development.

Its was quite obvious tonight and I think a good result at this stage of the season.

Edited by playmaker

15 minutes ago, silva10 said:

The simple truth is we were well beaten. Even though we had plenty of the ball, I never thought we looked in control. Our football was more off the cuff as opposed to their superior organisation. 

When they broke with speed they tore our defence apart. We on the other hand seemed to be hesitant and indecisive when breaking. Only Arzani carried any threat.

I am still puzzled why Vidosic plays wide when he is an aerial threat and better suited than Budinski as a forward.

I agree. IMO by far our main problem is that our ball movement is painfully and predictably slow. Most of our passes are telegraphed. When we actually moved the ball around with some speed and purpose in the first half-hour we looked quite good, but once we started the same old, same old sideways and backwards passing we played right into Sydney's hands and it was just a question of how many. Other points - our abysmal reluctance to shoot, and our incompetence at free-kicks and corners.

Didn't think Bouzanis could do much with the first three goals, but he did his impersonation of a traffic cone with the fourth. Jamieson and Muscat were awful going forward. - neither can cross the ball. Brattan was very mediocre, caught in possession a number of times (do our boys talk to each other?) and the culprit with those dead-ball kicks. Vidosic was kicked out of the match. Arzani kept trying and was the pick of the forwards. Overall a very disappointing and disjointed performance from City, one that IMO reflects the make-up of our squad this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Bud plays as a false 9. @silva10

Anyway. It's hard to beat a team like Sydney when you have no striker and your true DM can't play 5 minutes before the game.

I can see what Wazza was trying to do but we just aren't good enough.

The only chance we have is by playing defensive and hope we can counter. Apart from that there is not much we can do at this stage of our development.

Its was quite obvious tonight and I think a good result at this stage of the season.

Budinski isn’t good enough to play a false nine if that was the intention. 

We would have been better playing Vidosic there, with Budinski behind.

I cannot agree that a 4 goal beating is a good result. 

• Like 1

Outcoached. Outclassed. Out-everything.

The first 20 minutes were good thereafter the team fell in a heap.

If Malik is such a vital cog then the team is a one man team.

Why were they afraid to shoot for goal on the first touch?

What instructions were the subs given before they came on?

How did Bouzanis lose the ball and almost conceded another goal?

• Like 1

First 20 minutes was great. Both sides looked threatening, there was a bit of feeling in the match and it was exciting. Then it went to shit.

Bouzanis was excellent up until (and sort of including) the penalty, which he almost saved. Second half was poor.

Delbridge is incredibly mediocre. Slow, big but not imposing, has no presence on set pieces offensively or defensively and dribbles as if his feet have been amputated. As a centre back he is maybe just ok as a stop gap, as a right back he offers nothing at all in an attacking sense and is awkward at best going the other way. Much prefer Muscat or Tongyik/La Rocca for either of his positions based on what we've seen so far.

Thought Budzinksi was ok, Vidosic got targeted by them but struggled, Jamieson continues to frustrate by not really enhancing our attacks once he receives the ball. Brattans worst gae in ages.

Arzani contines to impress and was great against Zullo in the first half. He drops off significantly in the second half but considering about 80% of our attacking plays (of which there were many) are channelled through him that's understandable. Bruno was fired up, but by then we had dropped of and his service wasn't ideal.

Sydney are an incredibly dislikeable lot, but I guess most good sides are. Can't believe the amount of fouling they got away with.

• Like 1

We were absolutely smashed.

Wazza was exposed on a number of fronts. His squad changes and the small squad policy left us seriously undermanned such that with one injury we looked like a club in an injury crisis. Ridiculous situation.

on top of that he was back to his old tricks with a defender in midfield and not interested in subs when chasing the game.

Subbing Muscat for Bruno and reshuffling the entire backline was a disaster. Should have just dragged Jaco.

Where to from here? Well terrible it might have been, but it is only one game. Bruno should be able to play a bigger role going forward and that will give us the striker we sorely missed last night. 

THE ‘QUESTIONABLE’ TACTICS REFEREES MUST CLAMP DOWN ON: BOZZA

FORMER Socceroo Mark Bosnich says A-League referees need to “clamp down” on professional fouls and nasty tackles.

Early in Melbourne City’s 3-0 loss to Sydney FC on Saturday night, the Sky Blues deployed a number of aggressive tackles and professional fouls, particularly on City’s more creative players in Daniel Arzani.

“Let’s talk about the close attention first – Milos Ninkovic very, very lucky not to get a yellow card for that stamp on Dario Vidosic. Luke Wilkshire very lucky not to get a red card,” Bosnich said on Fox Sports’ coverage.

“Some of the tactics that Sydney employed against Melbourne City in this first half have been questionable, especially against this man (Arzani).

“And it’s a compliment because already we’ve seen in this first half what a player he actually is. And the fact that they’re giving him this much attention and Melbourne City in general is a compliment to the way they’re playing.”

Bosnich said it was on the referee to rule out those sorts of tackles early in the game.

“Just a little word to Kurt Ams and to every other referee: when you’ve got the big games – first versus third, first versus second - people want to see the players being able to play,” Bosnich said.

“You’ve got to clamp down on the type of tackles that we saw because you can’t have football like that stymied. We see that always in the big games – Champions League, World Cups - referees get stricter. So you’ve got to make sure that those type of tackles can’t happen.”

But Bosnich also said City needed to stand up for themselves in those situations.

“What they need to do basically first and foremost is to protect themselves,” he said.

“And when I say that, like I said I mentioned those two tackles but there have been other instances where I think Sydney have tried to bully them a little bit, tactical fouls off the ball.

“If the referee is not going to protect them they need to start protecting themselves to make sure that Sydney can’t just walk all over them.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, playmaker said:

THE ‘QUESTIONABLE’ TACTICS REFEREES MUST CLAMP DOWN ON: BOZZA

FORMER Socceroo Mark Bosnich says A-League referees need to “clamp down” on professional fouls and nasty tackles.

Early in Melbourne City’s 3-0 loss to Sydney FC on Saturday night, the Sky Blues deployed a number of aggressive tackles and professional fouls, particularly on City’s more creative players in Daniel Arzani.

“Let’s talk about the close attention first – Milos Ninkovic very, very lucky not to get a yellow card for that stamp on Dario Vidosic. Luke Wilkshire very lucky not to get a red card,” Bosnich said on Fox Sports’ coverage.

“Some of the tactics that Sydney employed against Melbourne City in this first half have been questionable, especially against this man (Arzani).

“And it’s a compliment because already we’ve seen in this first half what a player he actually is. And the fact that they’re giving him this much attention and Melbourne City in general is a compliment to the way they’re playing.”

Bosnich said it was on the referee to rule out those sorts of tackles early in the game.

“Just a little word to Kurt Ams and to every other referee: when you’ve got the big games – first versus third, first versus second - people want to see the players being able to play,” Bosnich said.

“You’ve got to clamp down on the type of tackles that we saw because you can’t have football like that stymied. We see that always in the big games – Champions League, World Cups - referees get stricter. So you’ve got to make sure that those type of tackles can’t happen.”

But Bosnich also said City needed to stand up for themselves in those situations.

“What they need to do basically first and foremost is to protect themselves,” he said.

“And when I say that, like I said I mentioned those two tackles but there have been other instances where I think Sydney have tried to bully them a little bit, tactical fouls off the ball.

“If the referee is not going to protect them they need to start protecting themselves to make sure that Sydney can’t just walk all over them.”

Interesting, and underlines the view that Bosnich is one of the few Foxsports pundits who actually knows what he is talking about, and thinks about the game. Enough smoke now about this issue. Press and authorities need to pick this up and run with it.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

We were absolutely smashed.

Wazza was exposed on a number of fronts. His squad changes and the small squad policy left us seriously undermanned such that with one injury we looked like a club in an injury crisis. Ridiculous situation.

on top of that he was back to his old tricks with a defender in midfield and not interested in subs when chasing the game.

Yes, I agree. Even without the loss of Malik, his bench was inadequate - no-one needs both Fitzgerald and Kamau on the bench at the same time. And the turnover in the squad during the season has been ridiculous, and IMO asks a lot of questions about the planning behind the recruitment of players and coaches.

It was noticeable last night that after the first 30 minutes Sydney just thought quicker, reacted quicker and moved quicker than we did. They moved quickly and fluently in everything they did whereas we were ponderously slow and predictable.

So IMO if we are going to compete with teams such as Sydney we're going to have to improve in everything we do both on and off the field. Sydney just look more professional.

Although it's disappointing to lose, we simply arnt one the same level as Sydney

Realistically how many of our starting 11 would step straight into theirs and do a better job than who they have in that position. I'd say possibly Bart for buijs but that's not clear cut and probably Arzani for brusque, but that's it 

• Like 1