Melbourne Football

Rd20 vs Sydney @ AAMI 10/2 7.50pm

neio

5 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Sell out. Third tier open. 

That's always misleading in terms of actual attendance though. Half the bloody members will probably not turn up and there'll be gaps everywhere except in GA.

However...other than derbies our highest attendance for a league match is 15,717 (the first "David Villa" match), so let's hope we can break that.

Melbourne City could pull selection surprise with Bruno Fornaroli

Matt Windley, Herald Sun
an hour ago

INTRIGUE surrounds the availability of Melbourne City striker Bruno Fornaroli for Saturday night’s blockbuster with Sydney FC, with coach Warren Joyce refusing to rule the Uruguayan out of the AAMI Park clash. But even if Fornaroli was to make an eagerly-awaited comeback, Joyce has moved to douse expectations around the goal-poacher’s ability to immediately return to his prolific scoring ways.

The 30-year-old has suffered several minor setbacks along the way, but featured prominently in a City XI friendly against Guangzhou R&F on Tuesday night. Since that game he has taken part in a recovery session on Wednesday and training sessions on Thursday and Friday and is said to have pulled up well from each. And although he wasn’t named in City’s official extended squad on Thursday, Joyce intimated his star marksman was a chance of playing his first A-League minutes since last year’s elimination final loss to Perth. “We just look at Bruno on a day-to-day basis,” Joyce said. “He had an injection last Thursday, that seemed to have helped him a little bit and he’s had less pain this week.

“But everybody is expecting Bruno to walk on and be exactly the same as he’s been, and I think that’s unrealistic and unfair. “He’s worked his socks off. His general base fitness is probably as good as it was last year, it’s just the match sharpness and measuring the pain, really.” City, third, can make a statement about its title credentials against runaway ladder-leader Sydney. The two have played twice this season, with Sydney winning both times. But Joyce is adamant his side’s 3-1 December loss at Allianz Stadium wasn’t a true reflection the game. “I thought it was one of our better performances,” he said. “We were good value for our goal ... gifted them two goals. “And in the second half with 10 men we showed a hell of a lot of courage and determination to really drive the game.”

Reports in Swedish media have linked striker — and free agent — Omar Eddahri to a City move. But Joyce doused such speculation. “I wouldn’t have thought so,” he said. “There’s been some dialogue with him, but I wouldn’t have thought he’d be arriving for a medical, no.” He did say, though, that City may yet add to its squad if the right free agent could be found. “You’ve always got to keep looking at who’s available.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/melbourne-city-could-pull-selection-surprise-with-bruno-fornaroli/news-story/e7324b39263f79d039e9d789c164baa7

Edited by haz

6 minutes ago, malloy said:

I swear journalist just write stuff they read on here.

Here is a contradicting one

Warren Joyce looking for City to gain revenge on Sydney, but Fornaroli return unlikely

Melbourne City boss Warren Joyce won't definitively rule Bruno Fornaroli out of having any involvement in the club's clash against league leaders Sydney on Saturday night, but it must be long odds against the Uruguayan making his belated return from injury in a game of such significance.

Third-placed City believe they have been unlucky not to have got something out of their earlier meetings with Sydney this season, and there is no doubt that this game will provide a very good indicator of where City is positioned as the regular season enters the home straight.

Joyce would dearly love to have a fit, firing Fornaroli up and running for a game such as this. But the club captain only made his return from a season-long injury earlier this week in a friendly against Chinese club Guangzhong R&F at City's Bundoora training centre and even using him off the bench against a team such as Sydney could be a big risk.

''We just look at Bruno on a day-to-day basis, monitoring the pain and his loads. You are looking to get him training day after day. He's probably only had two days' training on the trot,'' Joyce said. ''He's come back quickly ... there's some days he comes in and they are better than others, he looks sharper and then has a bit of a hiccup again, which is normal. ''He has worked his socks off. His general base fitness is as probably good as it was last year, but it's just the sharpness and measuring the pain. ''Everybody is expecting Bruno just to walk on and be exactly the same as he was, but that's unrealistic and unfair.''

Joyce believes that City should have got at least a point out of their last encounter with Sydney, when key striker Ross McCormack limped off and Manny Muscat was sent off. City had taken the lead but conceded two goals just before the interval in rapid succession. ''I thought it was one of our better performances,'' Joyce said. ''We looked like a professional side that was well organised, we played some good football and were value for the goal. Ross missed a good one v one chance, then to give them two goals, you can't do that against a team like Sydney. 'But even in the second half with 10 men we showed a hell of a lot of courage and determination to drive the game with 10 men. ''They have done so well because they are consistent ... that's what we are striving for.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/warren-joyce-looking-for-city-to-gain-revenge-on-sydney-but-fornaroli-return-unlikely-20180209-p4yzu9.html

Did he take Cahill's spot?

Edited by haz

5 hours ago, neio said:

Is it in our contract that we have to play at the same time as when there is something major on at the MCG?

We always seem to play when the big bash is on or something

Not to worry. The Big Bash crowd has had a considerable drop, more than the a-league in terms of ratio. We'll get 15k.

Next.

Edited by Tony999

Not going now, nothing to do with football. Yarra trams are building a tram stop outside my Melbourne apartment and working 24/7 at up to 90dB. Apparently they, and the State Government believe that this is OK... but I don't really think that getting no sleep is OK:wub:

Shame, I was looking forward to this game

8 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Not going now, nothing to do with football. Yarra trams are building a tram stop outside my Melbourne apartment and working 24/7 at up to 90dB. Apparently they, and the State Government believe that this is OK... but I don't really think that getting no sleep is OK:wub:

Shame, I was looking forward to this game

weak.

16 hours ago, neio said:

Is it in our contract that we have to play at the same time as when there is something major on at the MCG?

We always seem to play when the big bash is on or something

I'm pretty sure since BBL Season 1 they have scheduled the MCG derby at MCG on the same day as and in most cases, the same time as us. I remember one year (maybe the 1st) the BBL match was earlier and finished just before our match started so whoever had a BBL ticket could come into AAMI Park for free(?).

1 hour ago, Red or Dead said:

I'm pretty sure since BBL Season 1 they have scheduled the MCG derby at MCG on the same day as and in most cases, the same time as us. I remember one year (maybe the 1st) the BBL match was earlier and finished just before our match started so whoever had a BBL ticket could come into AAMI Park for free(?).

I don't think there's an easy solution to these event clashes. FFA's fairly chaotic scheduling doesn't exactly assist things, with matches Friday, Saturday and Sunday most weekends, plus other matches thrown in. Also having both City and Victory playing at home on the same weekend doesn't help.

However, I'd like to know how hard the various organisations actually try to avoid clashes - cynical as I am I doubt that they try very hard.

I know it doesn't meet the TV requirement of screening every match live, but I maintain that it would be better from many perspectives to play all the matches in a round on the same day each week and as simultaneously as possible, and for each club to have a regular home-away-home-away schedule.

C'mon guys, I'm sure that the BBL can schedule a different match (any other than the Melbourne Derby) at exactly the same time across the road from a Melbourne City FC game which was scheduled 6 months earlier! Even the Stars Vs Hurricanes would be okay, but why is that the Melbourne Derby always seems to clash with us and not Victory matches or neither football team for that matter?

21 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

C'mon guys, I'm sure that the BBL can schedule a different match (any other than the Melbourne Derby) at exactly the same time across the road from a Melbourne City FC game which was scheduled 6 months earlier! Even the Stars Vs Hurricanes would be okay, but why is that the Melbourne Derby always seems to clash with us and not Victory matches or neither football team for that matter?

Playing tonight at the same time as the T20 match seems absurd. We could have played tomorrow, or, it being a split round, next weekend?