Melbourne Football

Rd20 vs Sydney @ AAMI 10/2 7.50pm

neio

Two things I'm genuinely looking forward to this week

1 - Watching Arzani take on zullo, the best last back in the comp. If he takes him to the cleaners the hype will be uncontrollable

2 - This one is more as a football fan. Watching mierzejewski play live. I hope he has a quiet one. But he is a genuine star 

• Like 1

IMO from a neutral's view this could be the most exciting game of the season, or the most boring.

Depending on the Newcastle game, a win is best for us to close the gap to 1-point. Considering Sydney's quality this season, I would be happy with a draw (as long as its not due to a brain fart by our player). I could swallow a hard fought 1 goal loss too.

This is a split round (don't know why FFA does this), both matches in Melbourne. Victory vs. Brisbane and City vs. Sydney. The Sunday match WSW vs. Phoenix is actually their postponed Round 7 match. The Newcastle match isn't until the following weekend.

We're going to need to tighten up at the back, but I'm confident that Budzinski, Vidosic, Arzani and Mauk can do the job for us up front. I hope to see us taking it right up to Sydney and not being intimidated.

Expect a dive or more dirty tricks from that low-life clown Bobo, it's a regular occurrence against us. As long as we play well and avoid silly mistakes then I'll be happy. I'd be playing a back 3 and a 4 or 5 player midfield for this game, shut down the smurf's midfield and you shut down their forward line

Delbridge has to be dropped for this. Deer in the headlights .

this will also be another kind of test for Arzani as you would expect Arnold to tell his players to go out and hack at him to knock him off his perch

Edited by Dylan

Definitely feel like we're starting to hit our straps and that we can get a result here. Sydney haven't been at their best lately either, thumping a hapless Wellington isn't much to write home about.

Agree with the two posts above though, haven't been impressed by Robocop at all, especially at RB, Muscat in.

1 hour ago, Embee said:

Definitely feel like we're starting to hit our straps and that we can get a result here. Sydney haven't been at their best lately either, thumping a hapless Wellington isn't much to write home about.

Agree with the two posts above though, haven't been impressed by Robocop at all, especially at RB, Muscat in.

His limitations are just not suited to him being in right back imo. Judging by Wazzas reaction when on Sunday he took that shot from 35 yards out instead of feeding in Arzani I'm guessing he'd be lucky to make the bench lol

I have my reservations on starting Arzani as i don't think he is good enough defensively to stop Zullo's runs.

Not sure what the solution is though.

If Arzani starts then I think we may have to look at having an extra DM to track/sweep Zullo, 

or

start Delbridge and Muscat on that right side to block him out of the game, get him sore and tired, then bring a fresh Arzani on after half time so he can have a greater attacking influence in the second half and run out the 45 minutes.

If we play defensively in the first half perhaps start Fitzy instead of Vidosic and hope for a quick break on the counter, and in the second half a fresh Azani and Vidosic would be a handful for the Sydney defence.

12 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

If we start defensively then we're likely to fall behind and be chasing the game, a scenario that plays to the smurf's strengths

Agree, Sydney are incredible front-runners, once they get on top they're almost guaranteed 3 points.

Our best bet here is to take the game to them IMO

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

If we start defensively then we're likely to fall behind and be chasing the game, a scenario that plays to the smurf's strengths

i think that's not quite correct.

We had them beaten last 2 times bar stupid individual mistakes. both times playing a defensive counter and both times tactically better.

Basically Mierzejewski, Brosque, Ninkovic and Bobô were nullified. My only concern is Zullo also needs to be nullified to cut their outlet as he does some damage out wide.

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

We had them beaten last 2 times bar stupid individual mistakes. both times playing a defensive counter and both times tactically better.

Basically Mierzejewski, Brosque, Ninkovic and Bobô were nullified. My only concern is Zullo also needs to be nullified to cut their outlet as he does some damage out wide.

Zullo will be worried about Arzani. 

If Arzani cheats and stays forward Zullo won't risk leaving him.

Perfect game of chicken. Let's see who has the biggest balls. Arnie or Wazza. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, playmaker said:

We had them beaten apart from the fact that we didn't score and they capitalised on our stupid mistakes! Given that we continue to make regular stupid mistakes against opponents that put far less pressure on us than the smurfs will, we need to ensure that we score as we are bound to concede. It's not enough to just say 'tighten up at the back', we can only keep a clean sheet against teams with a poor scoring conversion record like Adelaide, the smurfs are a much more ruthless team. The last time we beat them was the FFA Cup final and we've only scored one goal against them in the last 3 games

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jovan said:

Zullo will be worried about Arzani. 

If Arzani cheats and stays forward Zullo won't risk leaving him.

Perfect game of chicken. Let's see who has the biggest balls. Arnie or Wazza. 

Great point! Can't see Arnie taking the risk though.

Edited by playmaker

I reckon I've said this every time we have played Sydney, but we need to target their right hand side. Mierzejewski plays as a right winger but spends more time in the middle, and wilkshire overlaps. If we can move it quickly down that side we can create 2 on 1s or even 1 on nones against wilkshire being caught up pitch 

Fornaroli in line for Melbourne City return against Sydney FC

AAP
7 FEB 2018 - 10:34 AM

Melbourne City club captain and fan favourite Bruno Fornaroli is in line to make his long-awaited A-League season debut on Saturday night against Sydney FC.

The Uruguayan has continued his rehabilitation and training from an ankle injury suffered last August, but played and scored in a practice match against visiting Chinese side Guangzhou R&F on Tuesday night.

Fornaroli told News Corp he is ready to return to regular action after completing 70 minutes.

Given the loss of injury replacement striker Ross McCormack, who returned to England last week, Fornaroli's return to fitness would certainly be timely.

And with the emergence of Arzani as Australian football's next big thing over the summer, the combination is a mouth-watering one for City.

City haven't lost since the 19-year-old was thrown on as a substitute while trailing to Wellington Phoenix a month ago.

His exciting movement and assists have seen Warren Joyce's men go on a six-match unbeaten run - perfectly timed for the visit of the Sky Blues.

In-form City midfielder Luke Brattan said A-League fans should come and see Arzani, and hopefully Fornaroli, in the club's "biggest match of the season" against leaders Sydney.

"This is the biggest game of the season," Brattan said.

"As a professional footballer these are the games you want to play in. They are the best team and if you want to be the best you've got to beat the best, so we have got to beat them."

Like everyone at the expansion club, Brattan has been wowed by the Iranian-Australian talent, comparing him to A-League royalty.

"Playing with him is the same as playing with Thomas Broich," Brattan said, referring to Brisbane Roar's Johnny Warren Medalist.

"You can just look to pass to him and things happen."

Brattan said if he kept his head down, the season could be Arzani's last in Australia.

"I don't think he's going to be around here much longer," he said.

"At his age, he is incredible. Some of the stuff he does at training the only way I can stop him is to kick him. It's the same on the weekend.

"But people have been pumping him up. Maybe too many.

"He's playing well but he's got a lot to learn. It might be for his best that the media stop talking about him."

Arzani has been tipped for an unlikely 2018 FIFA World Cup berth off the back of his performances - something that still motivates Brattan as well.

"That's still my goal. With a new coach coming in its a clean slate and everyone can get picked," he said.

"If your team does well, you have a chance."

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/02/07/fornaroli-line-melbourne-city-return-against-sydney-fc

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Dean Bouzanis, 2.Manny Muscat, 3. Scott Jamieson, 4. Harrison Delbridge, 5.Bart Schenkeveld, 6.Osama Malik, 7. Nick Fitzgerald, 10.Dario Vidosic, 11. Bruce Kamau, 13. Stefan Mauk, 14.Daniel Arzani, 15.Denis Genreau, 18. Eugene Galekovic, 22. Michael Jakobsen, 26. Luke Brattan, 27. Marcin Budzinski, 36.Dylan Pierias, 39.Anthony Lesiotis

Ins:  15.Denis Genreau (promoted), 36.Dylan Pierias (promoted), 39.Anthony Lesiotis (promoted)

Outs: 19.Christian Cavallo (quad)

Unavailable: 37.Nathaniel Atkinson (ankle)

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Dean Bouzanis, 2.Manny Muscat, 3. Scott Jamieson, 4. Harrison Delbridge, 5.Bart Schenkeveld, 6.Osama Malik, 7. Nick Fitzgerald, 10.Dario Vidosic, 11. Bruce Kamau, 13. Stefan Mauk, 14.Daniel Arzani, 15.Denis Genreau, 18. Eugene Galekovic, 22. Michael Jakobsen, 26. Luke Brattan, 27. Marcin Budzinski, 36.Dylan Pierias, 39.Anthony Lesiotis

Ins:  15.Denis Genreau (promoted), 36.Dylan Pierias (promoted), 39.Anthony Lesiotis (promoted)

Outs: 19.Christian Cavallo (quad)

Unavailable: 37.Nathaniel Atkinson (ankle)

Wondering whether they are playing mind games with Bruno not being in. Might just appear on Saturday... 

Is Lesiotis the lad who plays in a headscarf?