Melbourne Football

R18 vs Newcastle Jets: AAMI Park, 7:50pm

haz

2 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

Weird feeling, completely dominated the whole game but drop 2 points like the wsw game earlier at home this season. 

Probly the best our crowd has sounded too 

Var ass raped us 

given Jako shit last couple weeks but was solid tonight 

VAR got nothing wrong tonight...

Delbridge fouled the jets player when he went up for the header.

Muscat was just as culpable as Rodrighez when they were kicking each other.

It was a penalty.

4 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

Weird feeling, completely dominated the whole game but drop 2 points like the wsw game earlier at home this season. 

Probly the best our crowd has sounded too 

Var ass raped us 

given Jako shit last couple weeks but was solid tonight 

I thought Jako was good tonight too. Bratten is looking like the player we all know he is and Arzani really looks exciting everytime he has the ball. You might even say everything is coming up Millhouse.

• Like 1

Not sure how others are feeling but that was devastating. 3 posts and a last-minute goal line clearance, did more than enough to win the game. Shocking defending for their first goal but showed plenty of resiliance coming back twice. Just could not find that fkn winner! 

Bouzanis - needs to work on his handling cause one day its going to cost us 

Muscat - no surprises at all, horrendous

Jakobsen - good

Delbridge - very very shaky... not sold at all

Jamieson - good 

Brattan - outstanding again 

Malik - good but should have done better with trying to contain Mcgree for their second, fkn take him down if you have too!

Mauk - other than winning the penalty, offered barely anything

Budzinski - after finally putting in a decent shift last week, you would that he will finally start showing that bit of consistancy, but other than 1 or 2 decent passages of play, i thought he was poor, some shocking first touches and looked very flat 

Arzani - what a breath of fresh air this kid is... incredible. Strong and willing to attack defenders. Tie him down to a new contract asap. The most promising young gun ive seen play for this club.

Vidosic - good but fkn shoot!! was in some perfect positions just outside the box but hesitated to pull the trigger! we know youre capable!!

Ross - ahh what an ending it all would have been if that had crossed the line... we will miss you dearly (if you dont come back) 

Fitzy - shit

Kamau - LOL

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Thrillhouse said:

Handball? 

Muscat didn't do anything bad to him 

If the VAR reviewed it they fucked that up, but i am pretty sure they didn't are they allowed to review it?

Muscat was trying to stomp on him and Rodrighez didn't really do much to Muscat.

2 minutes ago, malloy said:

If the VAR reviewed it they fucked that up, but i am pretty sure they didn't are they allowed to review it?

Muscat was trying to stomp on him and Rodrighez didn't really do much to Muscat.

Pretty sure the var image was on the big screen (top left) and went away very quickly. 

Enjoyed the match, but a draw was a fair result. Once more we were lethargic coming out of the blocks. And we're too reluctant to shoot - Brattan being one of the culprits IMO. We missed Schenkeveld, Muscat is bloody awful and Kamau even worse. IMO very poor team selection to have both Kamau and Fitzy on the bench.

Top performance from Arzani. Also I liked the look of McGree, the Newcastle boy.

• Like 1

I think that this was the best 90 minute performance we have put in this season. An enjoyable game that we were lucky not to lose and unlucky not to win

Positives:

Looked fluent going forward, much more fluent in both attacking and defensive transition with much better movement off the ball.

Arzani. We've gone up a whole level of intensity since he started playing, I'll even forgive him the first goal where he didn't track his man

We have another genuine attacking option with Vidosic

Negatives:

Not sold on Delbridge, surely Tongyik offers more?

Marcin - another ho hum game

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

Happy with a point and of course would have love to won the game in the end. I see people commenting sometimes about the shoestring budget of Newcastle and Merrick. Newcastle are in the top 5 of spenders of the league being Chinese owned, and you can clearly see this in some of the players they have recruited. I get annoyed sometimes when I read that Merrick is in second place without any money - just not true. 

Back to the game; why did Mauk start? Brought nothing and cost us in creativity, why not start the same formation as last week (minus Bort of course). It took Wazza 45min to figure out it isn’t working with Stefan. We had decent results last 3 weeks without him so why start him tonight? I’m actually a Mauk fan but it was frustrating to watch.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

Gutted at the end. I am sure that the ball was in.

Just some observations, Joyce is right about Arzani - he does need more development and a bigger engine. I thought that in the first 20 minutes he was given a lesson by Rodriguez and my brother pointed out that because he was slow to track back and hassle Rodriguez, the high chip to NTS resulted in the first goal of the match. No doubts about his attacking intent and more game time will polish his timing to release the ball.

I am confused because it appears anytime Nabbout went to ground the Jets got a kick - yet neither Arzani, McCormack nor Kamau got frees when they were fouled. And why wasn't Georgievski red carded?

Budzinski? Couldn't work out where he was playing but it appears that it was on a wing and cutting in. He got plenty of the ball but just didn't appear to do much with it.

And given for all the attacking that the team had, too many shots were on the off chance that it would come off. The Jets defence was solid and Izzo had two great saves.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Anyone else notice how hungry Delbridge was from our corners? Was good to see some intent to score from a corner, something I cannot recall in the past 18 months.

IMO Delbridge will turn out to be a pretty good addition to our ranks.

We completely waste many of our corners and free-kick opportunities. To see Brattan ambling from one side of the pitch to the other to take successive corners makes my blood boil. Last season really only Colazo could take one and threaten the opposition goal with his left-foot inswingers, and this season I reckon the best of the bunch is Jamieson. Brattan has no idea.

I applaud Joyce's emphasis on physical fitness and determination, because we really demonstrating that on the pitch now (coming back twice from being behind was unheard of a couple of seasons ago), but FMD there's still plenty to do on basic skills before we will ever realise the potential of our squads. 

• Like 1

I think for the formation to work that doesn't have a proper striker we need to play a left winger,  probably Fitzgerald. It just balances a bit better as in the first half we would have come down Arzani side 5 times more often than the left. It also makes budzinski and mauk job a bit easier as both of them looked lost at times, especially when vidosic floated inside 

A game in the end we probably should have won, but I don't think the draw was a ridiculous result. The jets are a pretty good team 

Just as a football fan, how good is Patto Rodriguez going to be once he gets more fitness and gametime

1 hour ago, neio said:

I think for the formation to work that doesn't have a proper striker we need to play a left winger,  probably Fitzgerald. It just balances a bit better as in the first half we would have come down Arzani side 5 times more often than the left. It also makes budzinski and mauk job a bit easier as both of them looked lost at times, especially when vidosic floated inside 

A game in the end we probably should have won, but I don't think the draw was a ridiculous result. The jets are a pretty good team 

Just as a football fan, how good is Patto Rodriguez going to be once he gets more fitness and gametime

I think in the first half Wazza made a mistake playing Bud ST. He really came into the game in the 2nd half when he played his natural position. Vidosic is a more natural ST.

But I agree it was a fair result as both teams are evenly matched