Melbourne Football

Rd 17 vs Adelaide@AAMI - 21/1 7PM

neio

Another must win game, especially against someone who is right below us on the table.

Probably the most interesting part of selection is do we stick with the back 3 and replace delbridge with LaRocca or do we go back to the back 4 and 3 in midfield, probably Budzinski

This game will show us where we are at (how often do we say this...). I think we are as good as Adelaide currently so it will be a good test.

50 minutes ago, neio said:

Another must win game, especially against someone who is right below us on the table.

Probably the most interesting part of selection is do we stick with the back 3 and replace delbridge with LaRocca or do we go back to the back 4 and 3 in midfield, probably Budzinski

Cant see Budzinski starting, Waz just doesnt seem to like him. But if we are chasing the game I expect him to come on.

35 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

@haz that's what's made this season so frustrating, I still have no idea where we are at

Last time I looked we were third on the table. And over the past three matches we've improved our points position relative to all the other clubs except Newcastle, with whom our points gap remains the same.

With a dozen or so games remaining I seriously do not know where we are at.

After picking up 7 from a possible 9 and 2 away games in a row you could easily argue we are on the rise and are becoming a sneaky chance of finishing 2nd. But you could also argue that most of the results have been due to basically playing poor opposition and that we should be beating Wellington, Perth and a very undermanned Mariners.

Normally at this point in a season you have a pretty good handle on what your team is capable of, what are its weaknesses and what are its weapons but even now I've got no idea.

Our next 2 home games will most likely explain everything and if we win both we should be a point of 2nd. It's just been a weird season from my perspective so far.

57 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Last time I looked we were third on the table. And over the past three matches we've improved our points position relative to all the other clubs except Newcastle, with whom our points gap remains the same.

This is true but in those 3 games we played 3 of the weaker teams in the league (now 7th, 8th and 10th). 

• Like 1

Ins: 13.Stefan MAUK (returns from international duty), 15.Denis GENREAU (promoted), 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA (promoted)
Outs: 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE (suspended – 1 week)
Unavailable: 23.Bruno FORNAROLI (ankle)

Melbourne City FC Squad: 1.Dean BOUZANIS (Gk), 2.Manny MUSCAT, 3.Scott JAMIESON, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 6.Osama MALIK, 7.Nick FITZGERALD, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 13.Stefan MAUK, 14.Daniel ARZANI, 15.Denis GENREAU, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (Gk), 22.Michael JAKOBSEN, 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Marcin BUDZINSKI, 34.Connor METCALFE, 37.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 44.Ross MCCORMACK
**two to be omitted**

13 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

Ins: 13.Stefan MAUK (returns from international duty), 15.Denis GENREAU (promoted), 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA (promoted)

Melbourne City FC Squad: 1.Dean BOUZANIS (Gk), 2.Manny MUSCAT, 3.Scott JAMIESON, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 6.Osama MALIK, 7.Nick FITZGERALD, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 13.Stefan MAUK, 14.Daniel ARZANI, 15.Denis GENREAU, 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (Gk), 22.Michael JAKOBSEN, 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Marcin BUDZINSKI, 34.Connor METCALFE, 37.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 44.Ross MCCORMACK
**two to be omitted**

Bouzanis

La Rocca         Schenkeveld      Jakobsen

Atkinson           Malik                  Brattan         Jamieson

Vidosic

Arzani            McCormack

SUBS : Budzinski, Mauk, Muscat, Fitzgerald, Galekovic

Slim chance of Bud starting over Dario but pretty confident that's how it will go

Edited by bt50
  • Like 6

51 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

**two to be omitted**

Kamau not on the list. Wazza finally woken up?

8 minutes ago, Inferno said:

if wazza really doesn't like him why keep him on good wages?

@bt50 is speculating that his wage demands might be a problem for his destination club, not for City. This could be one of a number of reasons though so I can’t comment.

i think that Killer being left out of the extended squad(s) is significant though. Traditionally it’s a sign that a deal is pretty much done.

37 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Cant say they're not trying, its good to see actually. From my experience after a day at the tennis all wanna do is get home, but great idea

I hope they have enough windows open. An extra 1000 lining up will be a nightmare

I won't be attending, (can't get to any of the Sunday games) so that points towards us winning. On the other hand, Jets and smurfs have both dropped points and the visit0rs have climbed above us on the ladder, it's just the chance we have to regain some ground on the leaders and put the visit0rs back in their place: 8 years of supporting this team tell me very clearly what will happen; a lacklustre start, no intensity, second to every ball, silly mistakes...

59 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I won't be attending, (can't get to any of the Sunday games) so that points towards us winning. On the other hand, Jets and smurfs have both dropped points and the visit0rs have climbed above us on the ladder, it's just the chance we have to regain some ground on the leaders and put the visit0rs back in their place: 8 years of supporting this team tell me very clearly what will happen; a lacklustre start, no intensity, second to every ball, silly mistakes...

It's bein' s' cheerful as keeps me goin'...

But, seriously, this week tells us whether we're contenders or pretenders. Two wins and we will be within a point of Newcastle by Thursday night.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It's bein' s' cheerful as keeps me goin'...

But, seriously, this week tells us whether we're contenders or pretenders. Two wins and we will be within a point of Newcastle by Thursday night.

Exactly. Coupled in with MV's clash with Sydney, we could be within a point of 2nd and 6 points clear of 4th by Friday. Defining week in the season.

• Like 2

Fire up

Hoping: With McCormack likely out, and Mauk or Budz up front, we will not be nearly as potent up front. Hoping Budz brings the goods to give as the advantage.

Likely: goals will be harder to come by. Decent defensive effort minus Delbridge and back to a back 4 - will Jaco head back into midfield and La Rocca back in? Time will tell.

Prediction: 1-1