Melbourne Football

RD 16 CCM v City Sunday 5pm

Dylan

3 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Not really, they have half our talent but you can see that every player understands their role, movement on and off the ball is good. Their defending is questionable but more down to individual errors than coaching problems. We look predictable in attack, our ball movement is slow with no change of pace, our movement off the ball in the front third is poor, all coaching problems

Mariners have a fraction of our resources, had a heap of senior players out, and still played good football against us.  For all their limited resources they look like a team, and they are good to watch.  There's a lot to like about them, and a lot of that has to do with their coach. I'd be delighted if he rocked up at City.

• Like 2

Just now, n i k o said:

With the way CCM were pressing in the last 5 min I could sense we could concede a third if we weren't careful. For me I'm probably more relieved and content with taking the point today and importantly taking four points from 2 away games in a row. It also gives us that 3 point buffer between the tards. 

From a pre-game perspective it was a disappointing result. From a 25min perspective, it was a good result.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Embee said:

If we're predictable in attack then I'd like to hear how you'd describe the Mariners. What was it before today, 1 goal in 6?

String a couple of passes together on the deck and all of a sudden a guy's a great manager, the Mariners have been poor most of the season.

Mariners just don't have the quality in attack. Asdrubal is worse than Berisha at the moment, Connor Pain is average at best and not playing and their one truly classy player is away with the Olyroos

12 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Didn't see the first sixty minutes live so just watching now. Delbridge a liability for the first goal and thoroughly deserved the red card.

McCormack's goal excellent, though missed a couple of other chances. Golec's challenge on Arzani also awful. And I have a sneaking respect for CCM's band...

43 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Mariners have a fraction of our resources, had a heap of senior players out, and still played good football against us.  For all their limited resources they look like a team, and they are good to watch.  There's a lot to like about them, and a lot of that has to do with their coach. I'd be delighted if he rocked up at City.

What football do we play? It was good to see the lads stick it out to the end and get something out of this game but honestly, since the beginning of this season, what the fcuking style are we playing? It appears more Sunday league style, "let's get some guys out on the paddock, hit it around a bit and hopefully it falls to Macca or somebody and we can sneak a goal or two."

1 minute ago, HEARTinator said:

What football do we play? It was good to see the lads stick it out to the end and get something out of this game but honestly, since the beginning of this season, what the fcuking style are we playing? It appears more Sunday league style, "let's get some guys out on the paddock, hit it around a bit and hopefully it falls to Macca or somebody and we can sneak a goal or two."

“Get it into the mixer lads”

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Negative buggers on here. Third match in 8 days, travelling around 8,000 km. Away from home, down to 10 men for two-thirds of the match, grab a point after twice being behind.

Take it and move on.

You know youre being unreasonable when @jw1739 calls you out for being too negative... :lol:

• Like 3

From the past three matches:
Sydney: 5 pts.
Newcastle: 7 pts.
City: 7 pts.
Victory: 4 pts.
Adelaide: 5 pts.
WSW: 5 pts.
Perth: 0 pts.
CCM: 2 pts.
Brisbane: 0 pts.
Phoenix: 4 pts.

A bit selective I know, but we've actually kept pace with Newcastle over the past three matches, and improved our relative positions against all the other clubs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hugely contentious player reviews from Fourfourtwo but anyway still interesting: 

Dean Bouzanis – 6 - Couldn’t do much for the first Mariners' goal but poor judgement for their second as Jake McGing dinked a header over him as he approached.

Harrison Delbridge – 3 - Looked like a champion thoroughbred until he had an absolute brain-fade and saw red for a studs up challenge on Blake Powell. The wind obviously made him restless.

Bart Schenkeveld – 7 - Looks much calmer with Jakobsen alongside him and played faultless football as both goals came from set-pieces.

Michael Jakobsen – 7.5 - Another game in the centre of defence for the Great Dane and he had Asdrubal in his pocket all afternoon.

Scott Jamieson – 7.5 - Incisive cut inside to set-up Ross McCormack’s equalizer. Got forward really well and delivery was good without being able to provide the killer ball.

Osama Malik – 6.5 - Won back the midfield the longer the game went on and allowed Luke Brattan more time on the ball to do his thing.

Dario Vidosic – 4 - Was almost anonymous throughout the evening. Had a late chance to tap in a Nick Fitzgerald shot but didn’t. Subbed after 71 minutes.

Luke Brattan – 7 - He was his usual busy self as he contributed to play going forward, but more impressive was his ball-winning ability as he picked the pocket of opposition players time and time again.

Nathaniel Atkinson – 6.5 - Combined well with Delbridge and Arzani before the former was dismissed. Had a chance after 32 minutes from a corner but blazed over the top of Ben Kennedy’s goal. Ran out of gas and was subbed towards the close of play.

Daniel Arzani – 6.5 - City’s winning streak has coincided with his introduction and it’s no coincidence. Perfect curling ball for McCormack who couldn’t finish. Nice touches but Warren Joyce felt he had enough football of late and was subbed for Nick Fitzgerald on 51 minutes.

Ross McCormack – 7 - Had a few great chances in and around the six yard box, but Ben Kennedy was equal to the shots until the 42nd minute when he turned and finished exquisitely. Fastest player to 13 goals in a debut A-League season.

Nick Fitzgerald – 7 - Almost an immediate impact off the bench with a darting run between defenders. Looked lively throughout and should be back in the starting side soon.

Marcin Budzinski – 7.5 - 71st minute sub and finally had the impact Melbourne City have been waiting for when he belted one into the bottom corner from well outside the box.

Connor Metcalfe – N/A - Replaced Nathaniel Atkinson for five minutes off the bench.

11 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

I think the number one thing we can take from this game, is that Paul Okon is a whiny little bitch who doesn't stfu when things go his way.

The carry on he went on with after rose red card in f3 derby was flat out embarrassing. 

I can't stand him

• 2 weeks later...