Melbourne Football

City vs Glory, Tuesday 9th January 10pm

kingofhearts

A collectors item- an away win in Perth!

was pleased Wazza tried something different with 3 at the back. Did seem to help.oh and he used his subs, AGAIN!

Great first half to Arzani. Perth didn’t know what to make of him in the first half and that, coupled with Ross’s set piece class gave us the win. Well that and Castro finally had a poor one against us.

The issue for the coach is we didn’t have a lot of spark from elsewhere.

oh special note for Fitzy. Starting on the bench doesn’t mean you have to score yourself so can ignore the striker when he’s unmarked in front of goal and shoot from a tight angle instead. 

Deserved 3 points and a welcome change from the last umpteen games.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 2

Terrific result, good performances all round. Ossie Malik was outstanding for mine, as was Bouzanis, McCormack and whiz kid.
Atkinson was ordinary at times, clearly fatigued but still showed the youthful exuberance to try and beat his opponent on a few occassions.

I reckon thats a huge result in the context of our season, and if we can back it up against what will be an undermanned CCM on Sunday we're in the box seat for a 2nd half of the season run with Bruno to return.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I didn't watch the match - how was Delbridge? Does he look like a useful pick-up?

Thought he looked a bit nervous to be honest and often didnt put enough on his passes back to Bouzanis or Jako, but was otherwise untroubled. Jury out at this stage for me (which would be the case until 4 or 5 games anyway haha)

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Couldn't watch and havent seen the replay. Was there much difference in the actual performance from the last couple of weeks?

Quite noticeably in the first half. Much more attacking, and looked very likely via Arzani and Atkinson to create. Second half we were happy to sit back and counter, and Fitzy looked most likely to score, but made a meal of his opportunities. Ross stiff not to end with a hatty.

Also we deployed a 3-4-3 with Atkinson and Jamieson playing as wing backs.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

IMO our convincing win in Perth potentially marks a monumental shift in our club's ability to be successful.  Before now, winning over there always looked highly improbable, and I took much pleasure in watching us grind out a comfortable win, and seeing the likes of Lowe, Castro and the commentators suffer in defeat.

Some more pieces of the puzzle landed last night for Joyce.  He knows he has a weapon in Arzani, who combined well with Atkinson.  Brattan and Malik can pair effectively as deep lying midfielders, and Delbridge looks the goods, and also allows us to go to a back three.  Add Bruno into our attacking mix, and we will have the ability to make great chances, as well as be solid at the back.  Fitzy and Kamau can be dangerous in patches, but only really as impact players off the bench.  Still not sure how Bud fits in, and I'm not sure based on the league's restrictions that we can have both he and Ross in the squad once Bruno is back.

If Wazza can continue to build on this, it may end up being a successful season after all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

IMO our convincing win in Perth potentially marks a monumental shift in our club's ability to be successful.  Before now, winning over there always looked highly improbable, and I took much pleasure in watching us grind out a comfortable win, and seeing the likes of Lowe, Castro and the commentators suffer in defeat.

Some more pieces of the puzzle landed last night for Joyce.  He knows he has a weapon in Arzani, who combined well with Atkinson.  Brattan and Malik can pair effectively as deep lying midfielders, and Delbridge looks the goods, and also allows us to go to a back three.  Add Bruno into our attacking mix, and we will have the ability to make great chances, as well as be solid at the back.  Fitzy and Kamau can be dangerous in patches, but only really as impact players off the bench.  Still not sure how Bud fits in, and I'm not sure based on the league's restrictions that we can have both he and Ross in the squad once Bruno is back.

If Wazza can continue to build on this, it may end up being a successful season after all.

Not enough has been said on the Malik Brattan pairing. Well done! They both toiled hard. Props

6 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

100%. To add to that i think Vidosic, although quietish last night, makes a big difference to our attacking ability without veering too much from what Mauk was producing defensively. Obv we have Carrusca to fall back on if we are chasing the game as well.

Im quite optimistic going in to the back half of the season to be honest, we just need to ensure we arent having brain farts and conceding easy goals a la the Welly, WSW and Brisbane games.

40 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Quite noticeably in the first half. Much more attacking, and looked very likely via Arzani and Atkinson to create. Second half we were happy to sit back and counter, and Fitzy looked most likely to score, but made a meal of his opportunities. Ross stiff not to end with a hatty.

Also we deployed a 3-4-3 with Atkinson and Jamieson playing as wing backs.

Well im glad we are actually trying a 3-4-3 given we have a squad that seems to be made for it. 

1 hour ago, malloy said:

We have lost to them before when they were rubbish... this is more a massive psychological win as Perth have been a massive bogey side for us.

In addition our 2 goals both came from set-pieces.... one should have not even been a penalty. We won because Perth gave us our two goals.

Look, Im happy that we won in Perth and broke our duck. I just dont think we should be getting ahead of ourselves.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Geez thats a negative way to look at it. Any goal from a set piece isnt being given a goal; you still have to put it in. Ross is the first player in A League history to score 4 free kicks in a season, and he's done it by Round 15. That's pretty indicative of a) theyre hardly a gimme. and b ) we have one of, if not the best free kick takers the league has ever seen.

As for the pen, soft with the right camera angle obviously, but that looks a stonewall pen from every other angle, and tbh i still think it was one as he was obstructed from playing the ball anyway. Certainly Castro's two 'chances' were no better than Fitzy's two at the end. We were deserved winners, in a fixture we've historically struggled in, at a venue we've won only once in 8 years. No-one's getting carried away after beating arguably two of the three worst teams in succession, but it's a win where we would have previously fucked up and is being duly recognised.

Ill take any goal anyday.

Ive got my hopes up for a turn-around by this club too many times now. Ive just turned into a pessimistic fan

49 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Geez thats a negative way to look at it. Any goal from a set piece isnt being given a goal; you still have to put it in. Ross is the first player in A League history to score 4 free kicks in a season, and he's done it by Round 15. That's pretty indicative of a) theyre hardly a gimme. and b ) we have one of, if not the best free kick takers the league has ever seen.

As for the pen, soft with the right camera angle obviously, but that looks a stonewall pen from every other angle, and tbh i still think it was one as he was obstructed from playing the ball anyway. Certainly Castro's two 'chances' were no better than Fitzy's two at the end. We were deserved winners, in a fixture we've historically struggled in, at a venue we've won only once in 8 years. No-one's getting carried away after beating arguably two of the three worst teams in succession, but it's a win where we would have previously fucked up and is being duly recognised.

I'd give you extra likes if I was allowed. First, we won both those opportunities by causing havoc in and around the oppo box. That's good play. Then as BT says, you've got to stick them in, and that free kick was mint. World class, had no right to get that in. The pen, I agree with BT again, depends on your angles, and if it wasn't a trip it was blatant obstruction. And let's face it, Arzani had just ripped a hole in their defence again. They were too slow to trip him...

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, bt50 said:

As for the pen, soft with the right camera angle obviously, but that looks a stonewall pen from every other angle, and tbh i still think it was one as he was obstructed from playing the ball anyway. 

Was actually thinking the same thing, and that there was probably enough contact in the build up, tugging of shirt, etc, for the VAR to be inconclusive. After all the VAR can only change a "clear" error.