Melbourne Football

Jw1739 & King of hearts birthday round, 6th January, 7:50 KO

kingofhearts

25 minutes ago, Embee said:

He should, IMO.

Move Atkinson to the wing, drop Fitzy. Vidosic starts in place of Kamau.

Agree with Atkinson being on the wing as Wazza will more than likely slot Muscat right back. This is what I'd like to see...

Galekovic

Atkinson   Bort    Jakobsen     Jamieson

Malik              Brattan

Vidosic

Fitzy                 Ross               Arzani

• Like 6

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

Watch muscat slide right back into the starting line up. 

Would be a shame indeed. Atkinson has done enough - that assist to McCormack and the way he silenced George in the derby. Would be harsh on young atkinson.

54 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Betcha they’re the 2 to be omitted. 

Thus sanity will not prevail. I think its a good sign anyway that Kilkenny has been promoted.

29 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Agree with Atkinson being on the wing as Wazza will more than likely slot Muscat right back. This is what I'd like to see...

Galekovic

Vidosic

I like it! No Delbridge to get a run?

1 minute ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Would be a shame indeed. Atkinson has done enough - that assist to McCormack and the way he silenced George in the derby. Would be harsh on young atkinson.

With Kamau gone on international duty it's the most probable choice Wazza will make, with Muscat at right back and Atkinson up on the right wing. 

7 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Thus sanity will not prevail. I think its a good sign anyway that Kilkenny has been promoted.

I like it! No Delbridge to get a run?

Don't know enough about him tbh except he's very tall at 6"4 and apparently been a very solid player in the usl. 

5 minutes ago, n i k o said:

With Kamau gone on international duty it's the most probable choice Wazza will make, with Muscat at right back and Atkinson up on the right wing. 

Oh yes forgot about the three departures.

Just now, n i k o said:

Don't know enough about him tbh except he's very tall at 6"4 and apparently been a very solid player in the usl. 

I just liked that you dropped La Rocca. Just as hard work and performance should be rewarded with game time, so too should mistakes and underperformance be rewarded with a spell on the sidelines. 

• Like 1

On 02/01/2018 at 8:59 PM, playmaker said:

Galekovic 

Delbridge.   Bart.    Jakobsen      Jamieson 

Killa.           Malik

Vidosic     Budzinski.     Carusca 

Ross

Do it Wazza! Nothing to lose.

My prediction on Tuesday may come true.

Do it Wazza as this will be your best and most creative starting team. You can bring on the speed donkeys at the 70th minute.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, n i k o said:

Galekovic

Vidosic

I would jizz over the Twitter feed if I saw that, with Mauk and Kamau in the U23's, Killa out of favour, I think it's the best we could hope for as well. I also think Malik deserves to keep his spot, he has been pretty good so far and has copped a couple of dodgy red cards, I like him this season.

4 hours ago, playmaker said:

My prediction on Tuesday may come true.

Do it Wazza as this will be your best and most creative starting team. You can bring on the speed donkeys at the 70th minute.

Is Carrusca fit?

If so that's a good team, but swap Delbridge and Shenkevald around, Bort has experience at RB and afaik Delbridge is just a CB or DM.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, n i k o said:

Galekovic

Vidosic

Got no idea how good Delbridge is, but if he's like what he's highlights show he should replace Malik because he seems to be able to head and pass a ball.

Other then that this line up would be sick, Carrusca to replace Vidosic at 70

10 hours ago, Embee said:

He should, IMO.

Move Atkinson to the wing, drop Fitzy. Vidosic starts in place of Kamau.

Respectfully disagree with you mate,  even now missing kamau and a few others,  could we start azarni or someone else in kamaus position? 

You're pretty harsh on Fitzy, he hasn't had a good game the past 1 or 2 weeks,  definitely not enough to drop him to the bench considering we've always started players like Malik,  who has played mediocre this season overall so far at best. 

I just don't rate muscat and also don't trust him not to go off and do something stupid to get sent off again. 

5 hours ago, haz said:

Big focus on Vidosic there and showed some clips of Delbridge as well. Also good to see Carrusca out there training. Must only be a matter of time till he's available and fit enough to to get selected.

Glad to see the team back out traning, by my understanding, the moment they arrived back in Melbourne. Jakobsen sounded desperate for a win and I get the feeling he knows the moral of the squad depends on our result on Saturday. 

• Like 1

Delbridge is a big boy

EDIT:

Delbridge: 

Height: 1.93m    Weight: 93kg

-----------------------------------------------------------

In Comparison:

Schenkeveld:

Height: 1.84m Weight: 80kg

Djulbic:

Height: 1.93m Weight: 90kg

Vidić:

Height: 1.90m Weight: 88kg

Lukaku:

Height: 1.91m Weight: 94kg

Edited by haz

My preferred starting XI:

McCormack

Vidosic                  Carrusca                   Fitzgerald

Kilkenny     Malik

Jamieson    Jakobsen    Schenkeveld       Atkinson

Galekovic

Bench: Bouzanis, Delbridge, Budzinski, Brattan, Arzani

Omitted: La Rocca, Muscat

- Jakobsen back into defence, of course (also the argument that La Rocca and Schenkeveld "simply can't be broken up" is patently untrue after the last 2 unsuccessful months)

- Give Kilkenny a run. He'd noticeably improve the ball circulation in midfield

- Carrusca, our classiest CAM. Maybe I'd choose Arzani to be the no 10 if Carrusca isn't fit enough to start

- I would pick Galekovic because his record is 3L - 1D - 4W, while Bouzanis's is 3L - 2W (Galekovic picked up much more points before getting 3 losses)

- I would just go with Fitzgerald and Atkinson over Atkinson and Muscat

- I think Malik is fine (and maybe even a solid player) if there's quality around him in midfield, as there was with an in-form Brattan and in-form Mauk in midfield over the first few rounds

• Like 2

The above is probably the most logical line up and formation to set up with and I'd agree totally but unfortunately were not going to see anything like that.

He will stick with his bullshit logic of Jakobsen and Malik as holders. Probably try again with Brattan out wide. Zero chance of ever seeing Kilkenny start again. Maybe Delbridge will replace La Rocca but I'm not confident. 

I just can't see him suddenly changing his entire mindset and playing a completey different group of players. 1 or 2 changes tops and you can basically guarantee a loss.

Our situation is worse than the Aloisi era basically because the players available are massively better.

• Like 1

I think people overrate Carussca from (the little) we’ve seen from him in a City shirt. Took a lot of poor options in the couple of games he’s played for us.

I’d definitely give him some time, but can’t see anyway he’s able to play 90 or even 45 for that matter.

7 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

My preferred starting XI:

McCormack

Vidosic                  Carrusca                   Fitzgerald

Kilkenny     Malik

Jamieson    Jakobsen    Schenkeveld       Atkinson

Galekovic

Bench: Bouzanis, Delbridge, Budzinski, Brattan, Arzani

Omitted: La Rocca, Muscat

- Jakobsen back into defence, of course (also the argument that La Rocca and Schenkeveld "simply can't be broken up" is patently untrue after the last 2 unsuccessful months)

- Give Kilkenny a run. He'd noticeably improve the ball circulation in midfield

- Carrusca, our classiest CAM. Maybe I'd choose Arzani to be the no 10 if Carrusca isn't fit enough to start

- I would pick Galekovic because his record is 3L - 1D - 4W, while Bouzanis's is 3L - 2W (Galekovic picked up much more points before getting 3 losses)

- I would just go with Fitzgerald and Atkinson over Atkinson and Muscat

- I think Malik is fine (and maybe even a solid player) if there's quality around him in midfield, as there was with an in-form Brattan and in-form Mauk in midfield over the first few rounds

Dont agree with Dropping Brattan to the bench. Has been bloody go since cementing his spot in the 11. Just hasn't had the creative support around him in the middle of the park.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Respectfully disagree with you mate,  even now missing kamau and a few others,  could we start azarni or someone else in kamaus position? 

You're pretty harsh on Fitzy, he hasn't had a good game the past 1 or 2 weeks,  definitely not enough to drop him to the bench considering we've always started players like Malik,  who has played mediocre this season overall so far at best. 

I just don't rate muscat and also don't trust him not to go off and do something stupid to get sent off again. 

On the contrary, most people aren't nearly harsh enough on Fitzy in my opinion. He had a good start (as did Kamau I might add) and has been very poor since the 5th or 6th game. In the inverse to guys like Malik, La Rocca and Muscat, Fitzy is not held accountable by the fans for any of his bad games and is continually showered with praise regardless of performance. If Malik has been mediocre Fitzy has been flat out bad.

Muscat is a better defender than Atkinson and we've looked leaky the last few weeks. I'd rather see Atkinson get a chance to play on the wing as his attacking play has been excellent and then use Vidosic on the other wing to replace Kamau.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Embee said:

On the contrary, most people aren't nearly harsh enough on Fitzy in my opinion. He had a good start (as did Kamau I might add) and has been very poor since the 5th or 6th game. In the inverse to guys like Malik, La Rocca and Muscat, Fitzy is not held accountable by the fans for any of his bad games and is continually showered with praise regardless of performance. If Malik has been mediocre Fitzy has been flat out bad.

Muscat is a better defender than Atkinson and we've looked leaky the last few weeks. I'd rather see Atkinson get a chance to play on the wing as his attacking play has been excellent and then use Vidosic on the other wing to replace Kamau.

Fair points regarding Fitzy. Agree that both he's been wasteful and not effective enough and also the comparison between him and Malik relative to their positions. Only thing for me though is he still seems to be an important part in quite a few of goals that we score. He was involved in the goal on Monday against WSW. At the moment I think it's simply a case of Fitzy being the lesser of two evils, hence the attention goes to other players performing even worse. 

Edited by n i k o

Got no idea how we will line up come Saturday night just would really like Jakobsen in the back 4 for LaRocca. LaRocca hasn’t been terrible just would prefer Jako in his natural position

also would like to see  Atkinson retain his spot whether it be Wing or RB.

Dario into the team as he should help the front third stuff we have struggled with! Here’s to hoping anyway

7 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

Got no idea how we will line up come Saturday night just would really like Jakobsen in the back 4 for LaRocca. LaRocca hasn’t been terrible just would prefer Jako in his natural position

also would like to see  Atkinson retain his spot whether it be Wing or RB.

Dario into the team as he should help the front third stuff we have struggled with! Here’s to hoping anyway

The world game are reporting that Vidosic will be starting.

Warren Joyce says it’s time for Melbourne City to move past Olyroos drama

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

January 5, 2018

FRUSTRATED Melbourne City coach Warren Joyce said it was time to move on from the Olyroos row, which has left his club without key duo Stefan Mauk and Bruce Kamau.

Joyce will unleash new signing Dario Vidosic for tonight’s clash with Wellington Phoenix at AAMI Park, just three weeks after playing his last game for the NZ club.

Scottish poacher Ross McCormack, who could return to parent club Aston Villa at the end of the month, will start despite still feeling the effects of his knee injury.

Vidosic, who’s netted four goals this season, will start on the wing or just behind McCormack, who took his season tally to eight goals after last week’s strike.

“It’s another one (McCormack’s future) we’ll look at in the coming weeks. We’ve got to discuss that with Ross and Aston Villa and see what we can and can’t do,’’ Joyce said.

“We’ve got to manage him through, 2-3 weeks ago we thought his season was over. So far so good, we’ve managed him in different ways.

“He could’ve scored two last week in a game we planned to play him 60-70 (minutes). He’s not doing much in between trainings, he’s got strength and conditioning trainings in between to make sure there’s no relapses.”

Defender Ruon Tongyik has joined Mauk and Kamau in China for the Asian U23 Championships.

Only Kamau started last week as Mauk was benched for the first time this season, ensuring minimal changes for Phoenix.

“We’ve got to get on with it with the players available. It opens doorways for people pushing to get into the team,’’ Joyce said.

“We want young players to break through and play for Australia. It’s frustrating that Mauk and Kamau particularly, because they’ve played every game, have left. You’re still trying to build a side and a way of playing. And (develop) them as individuals.”

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/melbourne-city/warren-joyce-says-its-time-for-melbourne-city-to-move-past-olyroos-drama-ng-5c66b0f9395e4a649473c632bc439ef2

GAME DAY

Fire up Farkin

Hope: 4-0 City domination with Delbridge and Vidosic utterly crippling Wellington in their respective debuts. Bratts to play more preferred position and Kilkenny to get a run off the bench and dictate play. 

Prediction: 1-0 City. Ross the Boss from set piece in the 60th minute. Jaco and Malik still in DM, and Muscat to be yellow carded for a poor tackle. Brattan once again frustrated by pace and lack of forward options. Bort to save our ass on multiple occasions. City to scrape through with an ugly win.

Edited by JMSTEP123
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

GAME DAY

Fire up Farkin

Hope: 4-0 City domination with Delbridge and Vidosic utterly crippling Wellington in their respective debuts. Bratts to play more preferred position and Kilkenny to get a run off the bench and dictate play. 

Prediction: 1-0 City. Ross the Boss from set piece in the 60th minute. Jaco and Malik still in DM, and Muscat to be yellow carded for a poor tackle. Brattan once again frustrated by pace and lack of forward options. Bort to save our ass on multiple occasions. City to scrape through with an ugly win.

Result: 0:1 loss :tooth:

23 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Result: 0:1 loss :tooth:

You staying positive didn't last long, did it?

IMO crucial match. Home against the bottom side. Then we have to back up on Tuesday in Perth, and then next Sunday in Gosford (FMD, FFA scheduling leaves a lot to be desired).

Anything but a win will be a disaster.